Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Events & gig buddies

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Short notice I know, but if you're a fan of Max Brooks (Zombie Survival Guide, World War Z) and you fancy seeing the original Night Of The Living Dead at the cinema, the Prince Charles are having a screening tomorrow night with a Q&A by Brooks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I posted a few months ago looking for an irish langauge group; well, one has started through the organisation Mind Yourself (www.mind-yourself.co.uk). Seconf meeting was last night in their workspace which is about five minutes walk from Angel Tube station.

Informal and social chat thorugh Irish, all levels. Was a nice evening. Meeting fortnightly, which means next one is on 5th June between 6:30-8:30. Free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭tibor

david o'doherty is doing a show in regents park on july 14th.

it's a good chance to see the east leinster u14 triple jump bronze medal (community games) winner. he's also one of the last people i know of using myspace.

He is excellent and his latest show is fantastic.

Not sure about open air comedy here though.
    If it rains it would be seriously miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

David Kitt is doing a short tour in early July. London date will be announced soon according to the promoter's facebook page.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I've pledged on songkick detour (which is a fantastic new service that i've been using in beta the last while but has now gone live) to try get The Redneck Manifesto over here for a date.

Join me iambrazil and spread the word.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've pledged on songkick detour (which is a fantastic new service that i've been using in beta the last while but has now gone live) to try get The Redneck Manifesto over here for a date.

Join me iambrazil and spread the word.

Done. Will be amazed if enough people pledge to cover the airfare of even one member from Sweden to London!

Oh not a chance of it actually happening but sure it's worth a try. I would love to see them live again. It's probably been a good 8/9 years.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    It's probably been a good 8/9 years.

thankfully i got to see them in 2011 just before i left Dublin. one of my favourite bands ever.

*another David O'Doherty alert* one off late show (new material) in The Invisible Dot on June 5th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

iambrazil wrote: »
    thankfully i got to see them in 2011 just before i left Dublin. one of my favourite bands ever.

*another David O'Doherty alert* one off late show (new material) in The Invisible Dot on June 5th

Nice one! Got tickets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

The link below is offering half-price tickets to zoo lates on 7th and 14th June. OH and I just booked two for the 14th. They're 12.50 each. Getting drunk in close proximity to tigers, what could possibly go wrong?

Offer ends at midnight tonight (Saturday)

https://uk-offers.timeout.com/deals/zoo-lates-at-zsl-london-zoo

The link below is offering half-price tickets to zoo lates on 7th and 14th June. OH and I just booked two for the 14th. They're 12.50 each. Getting drunk in close proximity to tigers, what could possibly go wrong?

Offer ends at midnight tonight (Saturday)

https://uk-offers.timeout.com/deals/zoo-lates-at-zsl-london-zoo

Ah f3ck, saw this too late! A few of us from boards went last summer, it's a great way to spend an evening for sure!

Ah f3ck, saw this too late! A few of us from boards went last summer, it's a great way to spend an evening for sure!
    I think you can get them for all other Fridays @ £15 via the main Time Out site anyway.

I definitely plan on heading to it this summer but convincing friends is gonna be a nightmare.

I'd happily attend a boards zoo meetup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

LadyMayBelle,

I'm coming to London for the Summer on the 15th of June and would like to go to the Irish conversation group while I'm there. I couldn't find the dates on the mind yourself website so could you let me know the details of the one after the 5th which I presume will be on the 19th?

Thanks!

I will let you know indeed! The next on is on Wednesday 5th alright, so Im assuming the one after will be the 19th, I will post back here after this weeks meeting to let you know! Hope there will be a few more than last meeting, but it was fun all the same, and people were lovely.

Zoo boards trek might be fun again this summer...am thinking about that and also a picnic some weekend.

Offer has been extended and is still there for 12.50 each. We're going the 14th if anyone wants to make a group excursion out of it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Jeez, that can't be a year ago already! Where does the time go? It seems like only a few weeks ago that we were posing like meerkats :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Woden wrote: »
    Modest Mouse @ Koko Thurs 11th July. Tickets on sale Fri at 9am. Will try and get one

[edit]Got one![/edit]

They've cancelled their tour!!

Complete pack of dicks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Offer has been extended and is still there for 12.50 each. We're going the 14th if anyone wants to make a group excursion out of it

I think I'm going to take you up on that. I've never properly visited the zoo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

enda1 wrote: »

Complete pack of dicks!

Annoying. After getting to Postal Service think they are one of the few bands I've been listening for a while that I haven't seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

enda1 wrote: »

Complete pack of dicks!

bollox. i had it in my head about 2 hours ago that i have to get myself a ticket for that.

• Advertisement

Just so they can focus on recording their new album?

That's a bit of a dick move.

In response to those enquiring about the irish group, change in day and time for next meet up:

REMINDER Irish Language Conversation Don’t forget to come along to our Irish Language Conversation group for some fun, light-hearted Irish chit chat! Please note there has been a slight amendment to our next session:

THURSDAY 20th JUNE, 6:30PM-8:30PM AT MIND YOURSELF’S LIVING ROOM

The National have a gig at roundhouse on 26th Jun. Tickets on sale 9am tomorrow limited to two a person.

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/the-national

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

If anyone is interested God Is An Astronaut (from Wicklow) are playing their only UK date in London this Sep 22 in The Electric Ballroom, Camden. I have my ticket bought...

One of the best live bands around!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

The National have a gig at roundhouse on 26th Jun. Tickets on sale 9am tomorrow limited to two a person.

http://www.roundhouse.org.uk/whats-on/productions/the-national

Got two after about an hour and a quarter of queueing :)

Anyone else?

Yeah took 90 mins but got them! Not the most productive time in work now it must be said..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Anyone else?

Didnt queue till 9:30 but didnt get any :(

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

Anyone fancy this on Saturday?

http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatson/silencio-73399

Basically it looks like a Silent Disco spliced with old B-movies with a Twin Peaks vibe. Use the code 'SEEITFIRST' and it's only a tenner.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The awesome Anamanaguchi are coming to The Garage on the 15th of September. I've already booked my ticket, but if anyone else is interested in heading along let me know :)

• Advertisement

For those of you interested in a a community that people often find from joining a church, why not come join us at the next Sunday Assembly..

http://sundayassembly.com/

https://m.facebook.com/TheSundayAssembly?id=293513464091842&_rdr

It's a godless congregation that had over 600 attendees in June.. Next one is on July 7th in York Hall Bethnal Green.The topic is 'Stargazing', last one was 'Happiness'...

There are also small groups starting round London, so people can get to know each other, with topics like 'what inspires you' and suggestions taken from the Action for Happiness people like 'compliment three people this week'.. I'm heading to one tonight so will see how that goes...

Will be going again in July, Interesting way to spend an hour on a Sunday !

*plus I win bonus points for telling the mammy I went to mass ;)

A couple of things worth noting: Andrew Maxwell aka totally not the offspring of Bosco and Charles Haughey[s/] has a Work In Progress show coming up in early July. Also, Rich Hall's Hoedown is returning to the Soho theatre from the 15th to the 20th of July.

Anyone else?

What did ya think?

Really enjoyed it myself. Only the 2nd time seeing them and have had the new album on repeat pretty much.

Liked the venue also. First time there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Fysh wrote: »
    A couple of things worth noting: Andrew Maxwell aka totally not the offspring of Bosco and Charles Haughey[s/] has a Work In Progress show coming up in early July. Also, Rich Hall's Hoedown is returning to the Soho theatre from the 15th to the 20th of July.

this looks good, the rich hall bit that is. the otis lee crenshaw stuff is hilarious so i'm presuming it's along those lines?

there's a load of good comedy around the place in the next few weeks with comedians warming up for edinburgh, and it's all pretty cheap too.

paul chowdhry is on in greenwich at the end of july. his old routine on people in the east end is hilarious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

What did ya think?

Really enjoyed it myself. Only the 2nd time seeing them and have had the new album on repeat pretty much.

Liked the venue also. First time there.

Brilliant show, I missed the Brixton shows a few years ago (had a ticket but can't remember why I couldn't go in the end) so first time seeing them. Blown away really, I love their music but was worried they'd maybe be a bit downbeat as a live act, but far from it. Great energetic peformance. My gf wouldn't have been overly familiar with their songs bar a listen or two to the new album but she really got into it too, which says it all i think.

I like the Roundhouse as a venue a lot, been there a few times before and will be back again in October for Johnny Marr. Only downside of the night was taking a wrong turn when walking to Kentish Town after the gig and ending up back where we started :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

hey there's a science exhibition on this week near charing cross, looks like some interesting exhibits and talks! http://sse.royalsociety.org/2013/

mentioned this a while back but the shows are now confirmed. David Kitt is playing The Islington on Wednesday July 10 and Saturday July 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

hey there's a science exhibition on this week near charing cross, looks like some interesting exhibits and talks! http://sse.royalsociety.org/2013/
    That actually looks like a pretty good way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Score

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Woolly_Jumper

Reekwind wrote: »
    That actually looks like a pretty good way to spend a Sunday afternoon. Score

I ended up going on Friday, was really class, the exhibitions were amazing! Definitely worth going to for a couple of hours!

• Advertisement

https://visionsfestival.ticketabc.com/events/visions-festival/

Heading here on August 10th (Saturday) Esp looking forward to Jeffrey Lewis and !!!

https://visionsfestival.ticketabc.com/events/visions-festival/

Heading here on August 10th (Saturday) Esp looking forward to Jeffrey Lewis and !!!

Jeffrey is playing the Windmill in Brixton on the 22nd as well in case you didn't know. First UK show with his latest backing band. I haven't seen it advertised anywhere apart from the Windmill's mailing list.

Sadly going to be away for this festival. Saw !!! a few months ago and they were fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭83ste

serrity wrote: »
    Sounds interesting alright, though the offer has sold out so ticket prices are around £30 a head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

The Not For Rental Exhibition is currently taking place on Leonard Street at the 71a Gallery (the exhibition space curated by the Little White Lies gang)

Well worth a visit and trying to guess the movies based on the cover - titles of films are usually on the back/ spine.

http://notforrentalproject.com/

Timeout have cheap tickets for Silencio on either July 27th or August 3rd.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Timeout have cheap tickets for Silencio on either July 27th or August 3rd.

Sold out already :(

The Reduced Shakespeare Company (they of the magnificent 6-part Radio Show, part 1 of which can be heard here) are doing a short run of their Complete Works Of Shakespeare (Abridged) at the Leicester Square Theatre over the next two weeks. Tickets are £27.50 plus totally-legit-no-seriously-it's-in-no-way-taking-the-piss postal/collection fee via TicketBastard.

Went to Antony and the Johnsons at the Royal Opera House last night. Was an amazing gig. If you havent seen them live then do your best to! It can be ridiculously hard to get tickets though

Has anyone ever played HintHunt?

It's a live escape game where you have an hour to get out of a room by solving various puzzles.

Can be done in groups of 3, 4 or 5. Booking is necessary and there's only a few open slots over the next month.

Anyone interested?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

HintHunt sounds like a good laugh! I won't have time or moola to do it until September though. Will keep it in mind :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement