Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Running Questions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Cheers, out of interest did the calf injury flare up or did you just blow up?

Blew up, in retrospect my heart rate was way higher than it should have been. Calf was totally grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Does anyone know where I can get support as a new runner? I don’t have the money for triathlon but am looking for resources to get me going on a parkrun to marathon programme? Also I didn’t realise that people ran 50k, is that still a marathon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

Also, what is a gel? I’ve never heard of it is it something to stop from getting crotch rot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Does anyone know where I can get support as a new runner? I don’t have the money for triathlon but am looking for resources to get me going on a parkrun to marathon programme? Also I didn’t realise that people ran 50k, is that still a marathon?

I'll take 2.5 grams of what you're having m8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Re. the running after flu shots.

Lesson learned. I went swimming this evening, I'm usually good for a kilometer freestyle but absolutely shagged this evening, have a dodgy tummy too.

I don't recall this being an issue in previous years, either way tomorrow is another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Wtf is happening in here?

All I know is I really want to run Donadea 50, and I'm a 5k merchant.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Lazare wrote: »

Perfect then. It's a 5k. 10 times. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Bez Bing wrote: »
    Posted this in the Berlin thread. Set to run Berlin on Sunday week but I hurt my calf on my last 'long run' on Sunday. Was supposed to run 16m but only managed 8m and had to stop.

Been to the physio and I hope he can get me to the start line but if I do I won't have run much (if at all) in the last 2 weeks.

My training up to now has been decent i.e. 3 20m+ runs, a 12m with 10 @MP last week, a 1/2 marathon race etc.

Anyone care to speculate on the impact that no running in the last 2 weeks before the race will have?

Happened me in DCM 2017, my knee went on the last long run 3 weeks out, it was supposed to be 20, i got to 18m so at least i felt i had the bulk of it done. I did very little for the last 3 weeks, a few 'test' runs but i failed them all, the knee was still niggling. In the end the Physio told me to start but to adjust my pace and be prepared to pull out. I adjusted my target by 20 mins (probably a bit extreme but as a first timer i just wanted to finish) and in the end end the knee held up, i had a brilliant day and a super run where i finished strong running my fastest miles at the end. I was well within myself finishing a comfortable 3 mins under the adjusted target time. I don't know what would have happened if i hadn't adjusted but i had no regrets that i did on that occasion. Should add i ran a 7 min negative split so it's obvious i did adjust a bit too much but i wouldn't like to know what might have happened if it didn't.

Good luck whatever happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Right, get to your nearest parkrun and a few of us can come by to roar abuse; make sure to rub a gel on your crotch first...

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Rocky Seven

Follow 4 basic rules and ur in

• Advertisement

Follow 4 basic rules and ur in

I'm on board with that. What's the 4th?

I'm on board with that. What's the 4th?

There were kinda two in the 3rd!!

cjt156 wrote: »
    Right, get to your nearest parkrun and a few of us can come by to roar abuse; make sure to rub a gel on your crotch first...

That genuinely sounds like great craic.

Itziger wrote: »
    There were kinda two in the 3rd!!

Aha!! I like the cut of their jib

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

What's the 4th?

68619321_10217372217632340_5913104922076774400_n.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_oc=AQloAGrn46Nqg_lqBlHBOAtZf7qUHTQqzJsBLZdI5turv49nVlu5Q7EE33ZXWB9V5v01uHSVn6KHtpw-lS2r6_FV&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=b154bc1bb25bc5b352e972d8af002b55&oe=5DF1D694

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Supplements. Who takes what, and why? Placebo or insurance policy?

I read this the other day, and it made me think that maybe I should be taking more!
    https://www.10thingsithinkabout.com/blood-passport/2017/11/29/blood-test-results

Currently I take Cod Liver Oil (I don't eat enough fish regularly, we don't eat it at home) and a Pharmaton Active daily (vague attempt at ensuring I have enough iron, vitamin B etc.)

I also am on thyroid medication, take a low dose aspirin (not entirely sure if it's useful, but there's heart and stroke problems in my family) and Nexium to prevent recurring heartburn. Running without heartburn is wonderful, and I can't really function without the thyroid meds!

What do you take and why? Do you think it affects you as a runner?

Singer wrote: »

I read this the other day, and it made me think that maybe I should be taking more!
    https://www.10thingsithinkabout.com/blood-passport/2017/11/29/blood-test-results

Currently I take Cod Liver Oil (I don't eat enough fish regularly, we don't eat it at home) and a Pharmaton Active daily (vague attempt at ensuring I have enough iron, vitamin B etc.)

I also am on thyroid medication, take a low dose aspirin (not entirely sure if it's useful, but there's heart and stroke problems in my family) and Nexium to prevent recurring heartburn. Running without heartburn is wonderful, and I can't really function without the thyroid meds!

If you don't count beer and wine, none.

If you do, lots.

Itziger wrote: »
    If you don't count beer and wine, none.

If you do, lots.

Was only thinking about this last night, reflecting on my own two diametrically opposed fun things to do. Running in the mornings and drinking (ehh, about 2) delicious hoppy craft beer while cooking in the evenings.

Do skip the booze usually early in the week, unless I'm injured, and would stay away from it on target race weeks, three or four days before on non target.

Obviously cutting it out completely would have a positive effect on performance but feck that. It's too nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I have a protein shake on my first break at work, more so to avoid eating crap than for supplement reasons, I'm sure I get enough protein anyway

When I was sprinting I would swear by creatine

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Singer wrote: »

Earlier this year i started taking Vitamin D, Cod Liver Oil and I alternate monthly between Vit C and Vit C + Zinc.

I dropped the Vit D during the Summer months but otherwise kept the rest up.

I'm not on an prescription meds, i eat reasonably healthily, drink very moderately and sleep is pretty good.

Last Winter was a particularly bad one where i was sick on/off from November - Feb (my resting heart rate only came back to normal in March). And in general i found over the last few years that viruses like the a common head cold are more likely to turn into a sinus infection or a sore throat more likely to turn into laryngitis/tonsillitis. I guess it's an age thing :(

Placebo or insurance policy? A bit of both i'd say :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Unless you are depleted, an absolute placebo, or possibly worse.

This is a debunking of Anti-oxidants as cure-all, there are many other reputable studies to indicate that supplements can do more harm than good.
    vitamin-supplements-could-kill-you

A healthy diet should provide us with enough vitamins and minerals, but we're more responsive to the idea that a quick-fix pill will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm lucky in that I can afford to eat a healthy and well balanced diet (a lot of people can't), I've also got the time to prepare and cook, plus my daughter is a chef lol so I don't waste my money on supplements.

I'm on perscription meds for hypertension and I'm on a TRT.

I believe if you've a well balanced diet you don't need to supplement it with supplements

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭deisedude

Make sure you are drinking 2 Litres of water per day too, better than any magic pill

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Jacob ingerbritsen was drinking coke yesterday and is in McDonalds today so I think I'm pretty close to the perfect athletes diet

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

I'm lucky in that I can afford to eat a healthy and well balanced diet (a lot of people can't)

I am always bemused by this mentality.

It's not expensive to eat healthy if you plan it out. You can do 2 of the following 3 things - Cheap, Healthy, Convenient.

Realistically if you plan it out you can eat like a king for less than the price of your daily coffee on average

KSU wrote: »
    I am always bemused by this mentality.

It's not expensive to eat healthy if you plan it out. You can do 2 of the following 3 things - Cheap, Healthy, Convenient.

Realistically if you plan it out you can eat like a king for less than the price of your daily coffee on average

I think it's more to do with education than simply money. Of course the two are linked.

There are some items where quality kicks in. I'm damned if I'm eating a frozen burger for 1 euro but I'll pay 10 and more for a nice bit of steak at the supermarket.

But fruit and veg you can make money go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I was supposed to race an 8-10k this weekend per the plan i’m following but there is nothing on that suits, question I have, is there any benefits to me running a solo time trial, say 5 miles to make up for missing said race?

Forget the TT? I have another 10k race next week that I will make(had to juggle the plan somewhat due to family life). Am training for Amsterdam Half on 20th of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

OOnegative wrote: »
    I was supposed to race an 8-10k this weekend per the plan i’m following but there is nothing on that suits, question I have, is there any benefits to me running a solo time trial say 5 miles to make up for missing said race?

Forget the TT? I have another race next week that I will make(had to juggle the plan somewhat due to family life).
    Is the race next week part of the plan? If not, would you not just swap the entire weeks around? Bit late to do the whole week I suppose, but you could just swap the weekends

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

I broke the third metatarsal of my right foot on the 30th June from over training and racing. Not fracture, a break. It’s 11 weeks now and I’m 4 weeks off any form of crutch.
    Have been training hard daily on an exercise bike and walking a lot. Still can feel it in my foot though if I walk a lot.
    Is it safe at this point to start back running/training?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭28064212

seamusk84 wrote: »
    I broke the third metatarsal of my right foot on the 30th June from over training and racing. Not fracture, a break. It’s 11 weeks now and I’m 4 weeks off any form of crutch.
    Have been training hard daily on an exercise bike and walking a lot. Still can feel it in my foot though if I walk a lot.
    Is it safe at this point to start back running/training?
    Even if medical advice was allowed on boards (it's not), no-one here could possibly answer that. Talk to the people who actually diagnosed you, treated you, and have access to your medical information

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Advertisement