Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

• 07-11-2017 12:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭

It’s 8 days since DCM and I’m still on a high after the most amazing day ever. This is my report

I’m not 100% sure where I’m going next after DCM. Prior to the day I said it would be my second and last marathon due to the time required to train and that my next goal would be a sub 2 hour HM in Cork next June. I’m rethinking that now - maybe sub 1:50? Maybe the full marathon. I’m not sure I can ever beat the experience of DCM as a whole (from weather to support to pacing to a strong finish) though obviously I could beat my time with more training.

My running history starts back in 2010 when I was coerced into doing the relay in Cork. I did it with no training whatsoever, planned to walk the 5 miles but ran most of it, couldn’t walk for a week but was hooked. The following year I ran 2 stages of the relay and in 2012 I ran my first Half Marathon again in Cork. Children put paid to my running after that until June 2016 when I started back running one minute at a time with C25k. I started doing Park Runs, did a 10km in October and a half marathon in December and on New Years Eve, after a bottle of champagne, signed up to the early bird rate for the 2017 Cork City Marathon. I did that in 4:49:55. It wasn’t bad but I knew I could do better.

My records:
    5km - 26:02 (Parkrun 5/8/2017)
    10km - 56.22 (Galway Bay 1/10/2016)
    HM - 2:10:49 (Clonakilty 2/12/2016) ; 2:04:54 (2nd half of DCM)
    Marathon - 4:20:05 (DCM - 29/10/2017)

My goals:
    *1000 miles in 2017 (1610kms); currently at 1385.8kms; 224.2km to go
    *5km race - sub 25 mins
    *10km race - sub 50 mins
    *Half Marathon - firstly sub 2 hour
    *Marathon - maybe / maybe not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Welcome to logs! I really enjoyed that race report - what a great way to run and finish a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Kellygirl wrote: »
    It’s 8 days since DCM and I’m still on a high after the most amazing day ever. This is my report

I’m not 100% sure where I’m going next after DCM. Prior to the day I said it would be my second and last marathon due to the time required to train and that my next goal would be a sub 2 hour HM in Cork next June. I’m rethinking that now - maybe sub 1:50? Maybe the full marathon. I’m not sure I can ever beat the experience of DCM as a whole (from weather to support to pacing to a strong finish) though obviously I could beat my time with more training.

My running history starts back in 2010 when I was coerced into doing the relay in Cork. I did it with no training whatsoever, planned to walk the 5 miles but ran most of it, couldn’t walk for a week but was hooked. The following year I ran 2 stages of the relay and in 2012 I ran my first Half Marathon again in Cork. Children put paid to my running after that until June 2016 when I started back running one minute at a time with C25k. I started doing Park Runs, did a 10km in October and a half marathon in December and on New Years Eve, after a bottle of champagne, signed up to the early bird rate for the 2017 Cork City Marathon. I did that in 4:49:55. It wasn’t bad but I knew I could do better.

My records:
    5km - 26:02 (Parkrun 5/8/2017)
    10km - 56.22 (Galway Bay 1/10/2016)
    HM - 2:10:49 (Clonakilty 2/12/2016) ; 2:04:54 (2nd half of DCM)
    Marathon - 4:20:05 (DCM - 29/10/2017)

My goals:
    *1000 miles in 2017 (1610kms); currently at 1385.8kms; 224.2km to go
    *5km race - sub 25 mins
    *10km race - sub 50 mins

*Half Marathon - firstly sub 2 hour
    *Marathon - maybe / maybe not.

Best of luck with the log K. Those targets look very achievable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Welcome to the logs. Lovely to meet you at DCM. I see you ran Galway Bay last year, that was my one and only HM, we were destined to cross paths eventually ;)

Best of luck with the log, i'll be following with interest as our PBs and goals are all quite similar and I'm sure we'll meet again along the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Great to see another DCM graduate log!! Welcome :) What an amazing marathon debut, those goals are definitely achievable. Will be following with interest.

Edit: cool log title too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of Luck with the log KellyGirl, my guess is you will be looking for new targets before you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Welcome to the logs KG don't be afraid to reach out for advice.

There is some very knowledgeable folks around these parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Welcome to the logs.

I confidently predict that in no time at all you will need a new set of goals because you have smashed the existing ones already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Whoop Whoop, reporting for following duty :)

Some of my goals are very similar to your as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Good luck with your log Kellygirl, I’ll be following with interest. A sub 2hr half marathon is definitely one I’d like to achieve too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thank you for the comments everybody. Looking forward to getting close to some of those goals or starting to train for them at least. With Cork and then DCM being my focus since last January it’s strange at the moment not having something big on the horizon.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the comments everybody. Looking forward to getting close to some of those goals or starting to train for them at least. With Cork and then DCM being my focus since last January it’s strange at the moment not having something big on the horizon.

How did you find going straight from one marathon cycle to another, did you have some down-time or transition period? I'm finding it hard to settle on any kind of goal for longer than 10 minutes at the moment and wondering if this is normal :o I fluctuate between wanting to sign up for a Spring mara to building up endurance by doing HMs for the next 9 months before i attack DCM again and then there's 5 & 10k targets as well. I'm all over the shop :cool:

ariana` wrote: »
    How did you find going straight from one marathon cycle to another, did you have some down-time or transition period? I'm finding it hard to settle on any kind of goal for longer than 10 minutes at the moment and wondering if this is normal :o I fluctuate between wanting to sign up for a Spring mara to building up endurance by doing HMs for the next 9 months before i attack DCM again and then there's 5 & 10k targets as well. I'm all over the shop :cool:

It was fine. Dublin was a focus but my initial goals after Cork were to go to physio and get injuries fixed and also I wanted to lose a stone of weight. The physio kept me running while treating me but mainly 3km or 5km runs and started building it up very slowly. Most of my long runs for the end of June and July were 10-12kms and then by the end of July I started increasing to 16kms - nearly 2 months after Cork. The majority of runs were with friends during the week not thinking about pace etc and all enjoyable.

It was fine. Dublin was a focus but my initial goals after Cork were to go to physio and get injuries fixed and also I wanted to lose a stone of weight. The physio kept me running while treating me but mainly 3km or 5km runs and started building it up very slowly. Most of my long runs for the end of June and July were 10-12kms and then by the end of July I started increasing to 16kms - nearly 2 months after Cork. The majority of runs were with friends during the week not thinking about pace etc and all enjoyable.

KG that sounds like a great approach. Mentally i don't think i'm in a position to follow a structured plan again straight away. And physically i'm not either. I will put any decisions on hold til January, i just wish i could switch pause on my brain cos i'm constantly thinking about goals :rolleyes:

KG that sounds like a great approach. Mentally i don't think i'm in a position to follow a structured plan again straight away. And physically i'm not either. I will put any decisions on hold til January, i just wish i could switch pause on my brain cos i'm constantly thinking about goals :rolleyes:

Totally understand where you are coming from. I generally need a goal to keep me focused. Habit is working for now and I was happy that rain and wind didn’t put me off last night. My goal for now anyway is another 224.2kms to cover before the end of the year! Doesn’t matter what speed once I do the distance!

My goal for this week was to get down to 200kms left to cover for the rest of the year.

Wednesday I did 16kms. Possibly a bit much 1.5 weeks after DCM but it was an amazing day weather wise and I chose a route that I love and just headed off. Legs were tired enough on the hilly parts alright but I enjoyed it.

Today I did a 3.2kms warm up before Park Run and then finally got under 26 mins in that. My legs were a bit jelly like for the last 1km and breathing all over the place but hopefully I’ll get used to it.

So I’m on target now heading in to the next week. 200kms to go on the button to get my 1000 miles. I think I can get out for 4 runs this week and have 33kms to do.

Well done on the PB I say you are delighted :) your chipping away nicely at that target

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB I say you are delighted :) your chipping away nicely at that target

Yes and pleasantly surprised.

I’m hoping to get ahead of myself in case weather gets bad or I have to miss a few runs but conscious of too much too soon too! Have Clonakilty hm on Dec 9th so must make a plan for that in terms of training and tapering that week etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great time today....with the base you have from the marathon and a bit of speed work once you have fully recovered will see those times tumbling down.
    Yes and pleasantly surprised.

I’m hoping to get ahead of myself in case weather gets bad or I have to miss a few runs but conscious of too much too soon too! Have Clonakilty hm on Dec 9th so must make a plan for that in terms of training and tapering that week etc.

Finished my week’s running this eve. It was a good week distance wise and still dithering over what to do next.

Sunday - 8km - this was with friends and a slow one where we walked a little towards the end. Was just nice to get out and have a chat.

Monday - 13km 5:57 min/km. Went out to do 8km by myself but was feeling good so did a bit extra. Would have kept going except had to get home.

Wednesday - 18km 6:02 min/km. I was a bit tired for this run and probably a little ambitious. Had half planned to do 20km but turned round at 9km and finished at 18km. Pace was still decent enough though, even if slower for the second half.

Friday - 8km 5:56 min/km. Really didn’t feel like going out but glad I did as two long days at work for the weekend and out tomorrow night so my only chance. Took a while to warm up and to start enjoying it.

So 47km done this week. 153km (95 miles) to go before the end of the year. I passed my 900 mile mark on Wednesday.

I registered for Clonakilty Half during the week. That’s on Dec 9th. I’ve now found out there’s another MCI half local enough to me on the 25th November and nice flat course so wondering whether to do it or is racing two HMs two weeks apart a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Finished my week’s running this eve. It was a good week distance wise and still dithering over what to do next.

Sunday - 8km - this was with friends and a slow one where we walked a little towards the end. Was just nice to get out and have a chat.

Monday - 13km 5:57 min/km. Went out to do 8km by myself but was feeling good so did a bit extra. Would have kept going except had to get home.

Wednesday - 18km 6:02 min/km. I was a bit tired for this run and probably a little ambitious. Had half planned to do 20km but turned round at 9km and finished at 18km. Pace was still decent enough though, even if slower for the second half.

Friday - 8km 5:56 min/km. Really didn’t feel like going out but glad I did as two long days at work for the weekend and out tomorrow night so my only chance. Took a while to warm up and to start enjoying it.

So 47km done this week. 153km (95 miles) to go before the end of the year. I passed my 900 mile mark on Wednesday.

I registered for Clonakilty Half during the week. That’s on Dec 9th. I’ve now found out there’s another MCI half local enough to me on the 25th November and nice flat course so wondering whether to do it or is racing two HMs two weeks apart a bad idea.

If by racing you mean going as hard as you can I don't think it's a great idea. Race one and blow kisses to the spectators on the other ;)

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    If by racing you mean going as hard as you can I don't think it's a great idea. Race one and blow kisses to the spectators on the other ;)

Won’t be many spectators at either - will just have to focus on running rather than waving and high fiving :D But, I’m thinking Clon is the bigger race and while not a pb course I should give it a good bash.

Won’t be many spectators at either - will just have to focus on running rather than waving and high fiving :D But, I’m thinking Clon is the bigger race and while not a pb course I should give it a good bash.

Fair play! I'm going to stick to shorter stuff. Jingle Bells won't be flat out but I hope to have a good crack at the Raheny 5

Fair play! I'm going to stick to shorter stuff. Jingle Bells won't be flat out but I hope to have a good crack at the Raheny 5

I think I’m nervous of losing the fitness I’ve built up or the endurance but I possibly need to be careful of over doing it too and find a balance of how much to do each week without killing myself either.

I think I’m nervous of losing the fitness I’ve built up or the endurance but I possibly need to be careful of over doing it too and find a balance of how much to do each week without killing myself either.

Ah but you have your target. That's a great motivator! I found mine too, 2000k in the year. It sounds fantastic but it's 1243 miles, just about reachable.

Ah but you have your target. That's a great motivator! I found mine too, 2000k in the year. It sounds fantastic but it's 1243 miles, just about reachable.

Brilliant. Great to have it as a motivator. Mine just requires 4 x 5mile runs a week but I did more than that this week.

I will let you know, I am doing the gingerbread half tomorrow and in 2 weeks time the Waterford AC half Marathon, I am planning on just enjoying the day out tomorrow a few friends are running their first half so will stick with them taking it easy. I might, depending on how the body is, give it a good bash for the Waterford half feeling similar to you do not want to overdo it

Another week down. Started badly with a very busy weekend working all day every day and a stomach bug which lasted a few days so missed my planned runs on Sunday and Monday. Then my kids got sick so I missed Wednesday morning too! However I think the enforced break did me good as I didn’t really take a break after DCM and I was starting to get tired last week. I noticed a massive difference when I finally got back out running and all twinges gone etc.

Thursday: 8.2kms @ 5.49min/km - went out for a slow run with a friend but ended up being my second fastest time on that route. She’s fast anyway but we were chatting and obviously the break since the previous Friday stood to me.

Saturday: Marathon Club Ireland Half Marathon. 2:03:55; Pace 5:52 - very pleased with this as firstly it’s a pb by 59 seconds. It was an icy morning and had to run some of it on the grass and walk over a bridge holding a rail on the first lap. It was bitter but sunny and a lovely morning for a run. I was pretty much on my own for all of the race as only 40-50 out on the course altogether and you have to be self sufficient in terms of water etc so I just treated it as a training run really though made a bit more of an effort in the last 5km when I did check my watch and realized that I could get a pb if I tried a bit harder. Was nice to get a medal and the spread at the end was fab. The best part is that I do not have one twinge now. I could go running again tonight. Massive improvement compare to last year when I couldn’t walk for a few days after Clonakilty half marathon.

So, 29.3kms done this week and now at 1486.3kms for 2017. 76.9 miles to go.

This week I want to get out for 4 runs. 3*8kms and maybe a 16km.

Sunday 26th Nov: 8km @ 6.04min/km

With a friend and bit too fast considering I did a half the day before. Squeezing miles in as I knew I couldn’t at the end of the week as husband away.

Monday 27th Nov: 8km @ 6:21min/km

With another friend and deliberately slower but was tired too even though hadn’t felt that during the day. Maybe overdoing it but determined to get my 1000 miles. Passed the 1500km mark on this run so that was a good feeling.

Wednesday 29th Nov: 10.1km @ 6.33min/km

A friend asked to join me for 5km so slower than I intended but it was icy out too so no harm. It was a beautiful day and I just enjoyed being out in the sun in the park and made sure not to slip!

Saturday 2nd Dec: 3km warmup and Parkrun 5km @ 5.14 min/km

Pacer Saturday and started next to the 26 min pacer even though had intended to take it easy and do 28 mins. Ran along next to the her for the first couple of Km’s and then something behind my right knee kind of popped. I slowed down straight away and would have stopped except my husband and two small boys had come to support me for the first time ever so kept going. It was a tough race and any notions I was harboring of doing the full marathon in Clonakilty next week are gone now. Not because of the knee but because I felt tired. Kids have had me awake a lot this week though.

Plan for next week is 2 x 8km runs Monday and Wednesday and then Clon half marathon on Saturday. Need to try sleep more and eat better. Eating way too much rubbish lately.

Great running K:D

I would deffo sleep as much as you can with children, I think I may have needed more this week myself and eat well, I may have slacked on that as well I may have needed to eat more carbs possibly before my half yesterday :)

No reason why you can not go out next weekend and have a great day running I hope it is not as hilly as mine was :eek: and I love hills LOL

have a great week and I am looking forward to hearing all about the half next week

• Advertisement

Great running K:D

I would deffo sleep as much as you can with children, I think I may have needed more this week myself and eat well, I may have slacked on that as well I may have needed to eat more carbs possibly before my half yesterday :)

No reason why you can not go out next weekend and have a great day running I hope it is not as hilly as mine was :eek: and I love hills LOL

have a great week and I am looking forward to hearing all about the half next week

Clon is known for the hills but at least I know they are there and where they are and will account for them. One is at about 9km and 3-4km long and super steep. I walked it last year. Hoping to run it but really slowly this year.

Clon is known for the hills but at least I know they are there and where they are and will account for them. One is at about 9km and 3-4km long and super steep. I walked it last year. Hoping to run it but really slowly this year.

Having run it before it will be much easier this time for you. It's always good knowing the course

Another week done and ended with the full marathon in Clonakilty today as I just couldn’t help myself!

Monday: 8km @ 6:26min/km
    Wednesday: 8.3km @ 6:05 min/km in wind and rain
    Saturday: 42.6km @ 6:40 min/km

Total: 58.9km
    Left to cover in 2017 - 30km (19 miles)

So my Clonakilty race report ...

I had planned to do the half but the full marathon was niggling at me the last two weeks. A friend doing it mentioned she was doing an early start at 8am and I decided to ring and see if it was possible to make my mind up about changing to the full this morning and could I do the 8am start. Both yes so I tapered and carb loaded for the full and got up at 5am, forced 80g porridge down me and got on the road in zero degrees. I had created a 4:30 paceband in case I did the full.

A group of about 20 of us I think started in the dark at 8am. A friend and I started together. We pretty much stuck to the pace on my paceband which I felt was a bit too fast. Not sure why it felt fast as was still slower than most of my runs lately. It got bright over the next while and it was lovely running along by the water and out to Inchadonny. One majorly steep but short enough hill there and then a steep downhill. We started passing out walkers who had started at 7am. We were ticking off the miles though I knew I was a bit too fast and would be walking in the second half. I kept saying to my friend to head off as hate holding people back but she’s injured so needed to go slow. I was struggling a bit though and thought maybe the heat so took off my jacket. Next few miles were uneventful and lovely country roads. Then around 10 miles I started feeling twinges in my left knee. This was a new one. Walked it out for a bit and went back to running and took it handy on the uphills walking if I needed to.

At 11 miles or so there was an energy station. We picked Jaffa cakes and jelly babies and walked eating those. I have a new found love for jelly babies. Yum!!

13 miles and we came to a big hill. I sent my friend off at that stage and started walking. It was 2hrs 11mins at that stage so just one minute behind my paceband anyway. The scenery was fab - saw Owenhincha beach and then went over the cliffs to Long Strand. There were a few cars there with supporters. There were two guys in front of me running and walking too and I could see more up ahead. I was on my own but it was just so peaceful and I trotted along at my own pace and just enjoyed it. The knee was giving out every time I did any decent stint of running so I was looking forward to hills so I could walk up them. Ended up having to start walking on the flat around then too though. It was around this stage that the leaders of the 9am start came through. It was fairly cool seeing them pass. All said hello and well done.

Another energy table at Red Strand so I helped myself to a Nature Valley Bar, Jaffa cakes and jelly babies and strolled along having a little picnic for myself. I finally passed out the two guys who’d been ahead of me for a while. They were very funny. A lady and her son about 2 years old were outside their house and had a table of oranges and a jug of drinks. He came forward holding a little drink for me in a cup. I had a little chat and on I went.

At about 18 miles I got to the biggest hill - about a 400 ft ascent. The lead female passed me here. The hill went on forever but my knee meant I had to walk so I didn’t mind. When I eventually got to the top I realized I was on the Half course which I had done last year. It was raining but it was grand. Really high up and just lovely fresh, cold air looking over the sea. I knew i’d only 8km or so to go but it was a little annoying that I now had to walk down the hills or my knee would really hurt. I had the energy to run but the knee kept stopping me.

The last 5km I tried to run as much as I could and just short stops. I made a nice burst for the finish line and the lady putting my medal on had to steady me as I did a bit of a speed wobble. I finished in 4:45 exactly. My friends were waiting and we went straight for the Clonakilty Black Pudding stand and grabbed a coffee.

Then we went to the gym in the hotel and hopped into the jacuzzi for a while. Bliss! After a shower and fresh clothes I headed for the physio room. The treatment was great and hopefully will really help tomorrow. Hopefully the knee is nothing major and just a treatment by my own physio needed. Planning a weeks rest anyway for a start and will see where I am after a short run then. I’m not expecting any major issues.

I’m really glad I did the full today. I think if I did the half I would have tried for a pb and not achieved it whereas I just enjoyed doing my third marathon this year with no pressure and in my own time and just loved the peace and quiet. I was still 5 mins faster than Cork somehow.

Well done Kellygirl hope that knee is ok sounds like a great day and I am so glad you enjoyed it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

You're some woman - three marathons in a year! Well done, KG!!!!

How are you this morning still on a high I hope and how's the knee

• Advertisement

How are you this morning still on a high I hope and how's the knee

Not bad considering. A bit stiff and knee is a bit sore but no where near as bad as I was after the half this time last year. Just about to head into a warm pool for 4 hours now to teach so that will be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Another week done and ended with the full marathon in Clonakilty today as I just couldn’t help myself!

The last 5km I tried to run as much as I could and just short stops. I made a nice burst for the finish line and the lady putting my medal on had to steady me as I did a bit of a speed wobble. I finished in 4:45 exactly. My friends were waiting and we went straight for the Clonakilty Black Pudding stand and grabbed a coffee.

Then we went to the gym in the hotel and hopped into the jacuzzi for a while. Bliss! After a shower and fresh clothes I headed for the physio room. The treatment was great and hopefully will really help tomorrow. Hopefully the knee is nothing major and just a treatment by my own physio needed. Planning a weeks rest anyway for a start and will see where I am after a short run then. I’m not expecting any major issues.

I’m really glad I did the full today. I think if I did the half I would have tried for a pb and not achieved it whereas I just enjoyed doing my third marathon this year with no pressure and in my own time and just loved the peace and quiet. I was still 5 mins faster than Cork somehow.

Brilliant :D

Well done Kellygirl, really amazing stuff from you, I'd love to get to your level of endurance.

Well done Kellygirl, really amazing stuff from you, I'd love to get to your level of endurance.

You’ll get there when you are injury free!

Quiet week this week resting after last Saturday’s marathon. To be honest I’d no choice with my husband away for the whole week and I was dying to get out for a run ... and a break from the kids.

Finally got back out last night and went slowly to see how the body was. Knee started acting up round 4 or 5km but kept going. Out again tonight just to tick off some more miles. Intended going slow but I was on my own and a decent pace felt good so I just went with it and not one twinge.

Friday: 6.6km @ 6:51 min/km or 11:02 min/mile
    Saturday: 5.4km @ 5:42 min/ km or 9:11 min /mile

I changed my watch to miles too as thought it might be easier for mile markers in half marathons or full - if I do anymore of them. Very confusing initially but I suppose i’ll get used to it.

I now have only 10.9 miles to go to my 1000 miles.

• Advertisement

So close KellyGirl that's:) brilliant

Happy Christmas to anybody reading this :-) Thrown on the couch in front of the tv!

Just two runs in the last week.

Tuesday - a 4.6 mile christmassy run with my WhatsApp running group. We ran around estates looking at houses done up for Xmas and went for hot chocolate after. I hopped off a footpath and went over on my ankle so it was very sore for a few days.

Christmas Eve - first chance to get back out again as foot felt ok. 4 miles at a decent enough pace. Not too bad. Knee started giving out towards the end so looking forward to a physio session.

Now only have 2.3 miles to go to my 1000 miles. Plan on taking it easy this week and will do that and maybe a couple of other runs. There are a few races on but going to leave them and just rest really.

Hit the 1000 mile mark today! Physio tomorrow morning for my knee. Looking forward to it as getting sore at about 5km so will be good to get it sorted and up the distances again. Had enough rest since Clonakilty now.

All over the place deciding on next year’s goals. I’d love to do Cork and Dublin full marathons again and i’d love to try get closer to the 4hour mark. Don’t think it would be appreciated at home though so need to try and settle for another goal or train away for a while and sign up later if all going well. My original was a sub 2 hour half in Cork anyway but these marathons seem to be addictive.

Just finished physio and as I predicted it was my pelvis again. My left side just becomes jammed for some reason and starts to cause trouble further down my leg. I could have done with a treatment a month or so after Dublin and would have saved myself some bother.

Anyway, free to start building up mileage again - just wish I could decide what exactly my goals are - well I suppose I know what I want them to be but whether I can get the time to train for marathons is the question!! Roll on 2018!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Just finished physio and as I predicted it was my pelvis again. My left side just becomes jammed for some reason and starts to cause trouble further down my leg. I could have done with a treatment a month or so after Dublin and would have saved myself some bother.

Anyway, free to start building up mileage again - just wish I could decide what exactly my goals are - well I suppose I know what I want them to be but whether I can get the time to train for marathons is the question!! Roll on 2018!

Did the physio give you any exercises/name the injury to do or just a massage? Alignment issues usually stem from tight/weak muscles and while deep tissue treatments can be great for releasing tension, if the problem persists, it usually indicates something needs to be strengthened and stretched to correct the imbalance.

El Caballo wrote: »
    Did the physio give you any exercises/name the injury to do or just a massage? Alignment issues usually stem from tight/weak muscles and while deep tissue treatments can be great for releasing tension, if the problem persists, it usually indicates something needs to be strengthened and stretched to correct the imbalance.

Yes - 3 different kind of lunges and squats mainly on my left rather than my right. Totally forgot to do all of these since DCM of course! Need to make myself remember this time!!!

Haven’t had the chance to update my log as was away the last few days.

Did Parkrun on Saturday - my last run of 2017. Found it fairly tough and I think the fact that i’m still carb loading since DCM hasn’t helped :-) Anyway, did it in 28:41 which wasn’t too bad really.

I ended 2017 on 1005.2 miles which I’m very pleased with.

I signed up to Cork City Marathon last New Year’s Eve on a whim and intended on that being my one and only marathon. I caught the bug fairly fast and signed up for DCM and beat my Cork time by 30 mins. Cork was tough enough and I had to walk a bit after 20 miles but I learned so much from it. Dublin then was the most amazing day ever. 6 weeks after DCM I did Clonakilty for the laugh really but also because I knew I could. Knee trouble slowed me down in the second half but I was still 5 mins faster than Cork.

I also did Park Run whenever I could, The John Buckley 10 mile race in September which was my first experience of a negative split and I loved that feeling. I got a HM pb 4 weeks after Dublin in a random MCI race that took place locally.

So all in all I had a fantastic year running. I’m never going to win a race but I’ve Got a bit faster and built up endurance that I never thought I could be capable of. I’ve enjoyed it all.

Super year Karen! Well done. You've a brilliant base for whatever you decide (or negotiate ;)) to do in 2018.

Super year Karen! Well done. You've a brilliant base for whatever you decide (or negotiate ;)) to do in 2018.

That’s exactly how it is :D

I hope you can win the OH round ;)

you have had an amazing year and looking forward to seeing what you tackle this year :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement