Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options
  • 07-11-2017 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭

It’s 8 days since DCM and I’m still on a high after the most amazing day ever. This is my report

I’m not 100% sure where I’m going next after DCM. Prior to the day I said it would be my second and last marathon due to the time required to train and that my next goal would be a sub 2 hour HM in Cork next June. I’m rethinking that now - maybe sub 1:50? Maybe the full marathon. I’m not sure I can ever beat the experience of DCM as a whole (from weather to support to pacing to a strong finish) though obviously I could beat my time with more training.

My running history starts back in 2010 when I was coerced into doing the relay in Cork. I did it with no training whatsoever, planned to walk the 5 miles but ran most of it, couldn’t walk for a week but was hooked. The following year I ran 2 stages of the relay and in 2012 I ran my first Half Marathon again in Cork. Children put paid to my running after that until June 2016 when I started back running one minute at a time with C25k. I started doing Park Runs, did a 10km in October and a half marathon in December and on New Years Eve, after a bottle of champagne, signed up to the early bird rate for the 2017 Cork City Marathon. I did that in 4:49:55. It wasn’t bad but I knew I could do better.

My records:
    5km - 26:02 (Parkrun 5/8/2017)
    10km - 56.22 (Galway Bay 1/10/2016)
    HM - 2:10:49 (Clonakilty 2/12/2016) ; 2:04:54 (2nd half of DCM)
    Marathon - 4:20:05 (DCM - 29/10/2017)

My goals:
    *1000 miles in 2017 (1610kms); currently at 1385.8kms; 224.2km to go
    *5km race - sub 25 mins
    *10km race - sub 50 mins
    *Half Marathon - firstly sub 2 hour
    *Marathon - maybe / maybe not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Welcome to logs! I really enjoyed that race report - what a great way to run and finish a marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Kellygirl wrote: »
    It’s 8 days since DCM and I’m still on a high after the most amazing day ever. This is my report

I’m not 100% sure where I’m going next after DCM. Prior to the day I said it would be my second and last marathon due to the time required to train and that my next goal would be a sub 2 hour HM in Cork next June. I’m rethinking that now - maybe sub 1:50? Maybe the full marathon. I’m not sure I can ever beat the experience of DCM as a whole (from weather to support to pacing to a strong finish) though obviously I could beat my time with more training.

My running history starts back in 2010 when I was coerced into doing the relay in Cork. I did it with no training whatsoever, planned to walk the 5 miles but ran most of it, couldn’t walk for a week but was hooked. The following year I ran 2 stages of the relay and in 2012 I ran my first Half Marathon again in Cork. Children put paid to my running after that until June 2016 when I started back running one minute at a time with C25k. I started doing Park Runs, did a 10km in October and a half marathon in December and on New Years Eve, after a bottle of champagne, signed up to the early bird rate for the 2017 Cork City Marathon. I did that in 4:49:55. It wasn’t bad but I knew I could do better.

My records:
    5km - 26:02 (Parkrun 5/8/2017)
    10km - 56.22 (Galway Bay 1/10/2016)
    HM - 2:10:49 (Clonakilty 2/12/2016) ; 2:04:54 (2nd half of DCM)
    Marathon - 4:20:05 (DCM - 29/10/2017)

My goals:
    *1000 miles in 2017 (1610kms); currently at 1385.8kms; 224.2km to go
    *5km race - sub 25 mins
    *10km race - sub 50 mins

*Half Marathon - firstly sub 2 hour
    *Marathon - maybe / maybe not.

Best of luck with the log K. Those targets look very achievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Welcome to the logs. Lovely to meet you at DCM. I see you ran Galway Bay last year, that was my one and only HM, we were destined to cross paths eventually ;)

Best of luck with the log, i'll be following with interest as our PBs and goals are all quite similar and I'm sure we'll meet again along the way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Great to see another DCM graduate log!! Welcome :) What an amazing marathon debut, those goals are definitely achievable. Will be following with interest.

Edit: cool log title too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of Luck with the log KellyGirl, my guess is you will be looking for new targets before you know it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Welcome to the logs KG don't be afraid to reach out for advice.

There is some very knowledgeable folks around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Welcome to the logs.

I confidently predict that in no time at all you will need a new set of goals because you have smashed the existing ones already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Whoop Whoop, reporting for following duty :)

Some of my goals are very similar to your as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Good luck with your log Kellygirl, I’ll be following with interest. A sub 2hr half marathon is definitely one I’d like to achieve too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Thank you for the comments everybody. Looking forward to getting close to some of those goals or starting to train for them at least. With Cork and then DCM being my focus since last January it’s strange at the moment not having something big on the horizon.

• Advertisement

Thank you for the comments everybody. Looking forward to getting close to some of those goals or starting to train for them at least. With Cork and then DCM being my focus since last January it’s strange at the moment not having something big on the horizon.

How did you find going straight from one marathon cycle to another, did you have some down-time or transition period? I'm finding it hard to settle on any kind of goal for longer than 10 minutes at the moment and wondering if this is normal :o I fluctuate between wanting to sign up for a Spring mara to building up endurance by doing HMs for the next 9 months before i attack DCM again and then there's 5 & 10k targets as well. I'm all over the shop :cool:

ariana` wrote: »
    How did you find going straight from one marathon cycle to another, did you have some down-time or transition period? I'm finding it hard to settle on any kind of goal for longer than 10 minutes at the moment and wondering if this is normal :o I fluctuate between wanting to sign up for a Spring mara to building up endurance by doing HMs for the next 9 months before i attack DCM again and then there's 5 & 10k targets as well. I'm all over the shop :cool:

It was fine. Dublin was a focus but my initial goals after Cork were to go to physio and get injuries fixed and also I wanted to lose a stone of weight. The physio kept me running while treating me but mainly 3km or 5km runs and started building it up very slowly. Most of my long runs for the end of June and July were 10-12kms and then by the end of July I started increasing to 16kms - nearly 2 months after Cork. The majority of runs were with friends during the week not thinking about pace etc and all enjoyable.

It was fine. Dublin was a focus but my initial goals after Cork were to go to physio and get injuries fixed and also I wanted to lose a stone of weight. The physio kept me running while treating me but mainly 3km or 5km runs and started building it up very slowly. Most of my long runs for the end of June and July were 10-12kms and then by the end of July I started increasing to 16kms - nearly 2 months after Cork. The majority of runs were with friends during the week not thinking about pace etc and all enjoyable.

KG that sounds like a great approach. Mentally i don't think i'm in a position to follow a structured plan again straight away. And physically i'm not either. I will put any decisions on hold til January, i just wish i could switch pause on my brain cos i'm constantly thinking about goals :rolleyes:

ariana` wrote: »
    KG that sounds like a great approach. Mentally i don't think i'm in a position to follow a structured plan again straight away. And physically i'm not either. I will put any decisions on hold til January, i just wish i could switch pause on my brain cos i'm constantly thinking about goals :rolleyes:

Totally understand where you are coming from. I generally need a goal to keep me focused. Habit is working for now and I was happy that rain and wind didn’t put me off last night. My goal for now anyway is another 224.2kms to cover before the end of the year! Doesn’t matter what speed once I do the distance!

My goal for this week was to get down to 200kms left to cover for the rest of the year.

Wednesday I did 16kms. Possibly a bit much 1.5 weeks after DCM but it was an amazing day weather wise and I chose a route that I love and just headed off. Legs were tired enough on the hilly parts alright but I enjoyed it.

Today I did a 3.2kms warm up before Park Run and then finally got under 26 mins in that. My legs were a bit jelly like for the last 1km and breathing all over the place but hopefully I’ll get used to it.

So I’m on target now heading in to the next week. 200kms to go on the button to get my 1000 miles. I think I can get out for 4 runs this week and have 33kms to do.

Well done on the PB I say you are delighted :) your chipping away nicely at that target

Baby75 wrote: »
    Well done on the PB I say you are delighted :) your chipping away nicely at that target

Yes and pleasantly surprised.

I’m hoping to get ahead of myself in case weather gets bad or I have to miss a few runs but conscious of too much too soon too! Have Clonakilty hm on Dec 9th so must make a plan for that in terms of training and tapering that week etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great time today....with the base you have from the marathon and a bit of speed work once you have fully recovered will see those times tumbling down.
    Yes and pleasantly surprised.

I’m hoping to get ahead of myself in case weather gets bad or I have to miss a few runs but conscious of too much too soon too! Have Clonakilty hm on Dec 9th so must make a plan for that in terms of training and tapering that week etc.

Finished my week’s running this eve. It was a good week distance wise and still dithering over what to do next.

Sunday - 8km - this was with friends and a slow one where we walked a little towards the end. Was just nice to get out and have a chat.

Monday - 13km 5:57 min/km. Went out to do 8km by myself but was feeling good so did a bit extra. Would have kept going except had to get home.

Wednesday - 18km 6:02 min/km. I was a bit tired for this run and probably a little ambitious. Had half planned to do 20km but turned round at 9km and finished at 18km. Pace was still decent enough though, even if slower for the second half.

Friday - 8km 5:56 min/km. Really didn’t feel like going out but glad I did as two long days at work for the weekend and out tomorrow night so my only chance. Took a while to warm up and to start enjoying it.

So 47km done this week. 153km (95 miles) to go before the end of the year. I passed my 900 mile mark on Wednesday.

I registered for Clonakilty Half during the week. That’s on Dec 9th. I’ve now found out there’s another MCI half local enough to me on the 25th November and nice flat course so wondering whether to do it or is racing two HMs two weeks apart a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Finished my week’s running this eve. It was a good week distance wise and still dithering over what to do next.

Sunday - 8km - this was with friends and a slow one where we walked a little towards the end. Was just nice to get out and have a chat.

Monday - 13km 5:57 min/km. Went out to do 8km by myself but was feeling good so did a bit extra. Would have kept going except had to get home.

Wednesday - 18km 6:02 min/km. I was a bit tired for this run and probably a little ambitious. Had half planned to do 20km but turned round at 9km and finished at 18km. Pace was still decent enough though, even if slower for the second half.

Friday - 8km 5:56 min/km. Really didn’t feel like going out but glad I did as two long days at work for the weekend and out tomorrow night so my only chance. Took a while to warm up and to start enjoying it.

So 47km done this week. 153km (95 miles) to go before the end of the year. I passed my 900 mile mark on Wednesday.

I registered for Clonakilty Half during the week. That’s on Dec 9th. I’ve now found out there’s another MCI half local enough to me on the 25th November and nice flat course so wondering whether to do it or is racing two HMs two weeks apart a bad idea.

If by racing you mean going as hard as you can I don't think it's a great idea. Race one and blow kisses to the spectators on the other ;)

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    If by racing you mean going as hard as you can I don't think it's a great idea. Race one and blow kisses to the spectators on the other ;)

Won’t be many spectators at either - will just have to focus on running rather than waving and high fiving :D But, I’m thinking Clon is the bigger race and while not a pb course I should give it a good bash.

Won’t be many spectators at either - will just have to focus on running rather than waving and high fiving :D But, I’m thinking Clon is the bigger race and while not a pb course I should give it a good bash.

Fair play! I'm going to stick to shorter stuff. Jingle Bells won't be flat out but I hope to have a good crack at the Raheny 5

Fair play! I'm going to stick to shorter stuff. Jingle Bells won't be flat out but I hope to have a good crack at the Raheny 5

I think I’m nervous of losing the fitness I’ve built up or the endurance but I possibly need to be careful of over doing it too and find a balance of how much to do each week without killing myself either.

I think I’m nervous of losing the fitness I’ve built up or the endurance but I possibly need to be careful of over doing it too and find a balance of how much to do each week without killing myself either.

Ah but you have your target. That's a great motivator! I found mine too, 2000k in the year. It sounds fantastic but it's 1243 miles, just about reachable.

Ah but you have your target. That's a great motivator! I found mine too, 2000k in the year. It sounds fantastic but it's 1243 miles, just about reachable.

Brilliant. Great to have it as a motivator. Mine just requires 4 x 5mile runs a week but I did more than that this week.

I will let you know, I am doing the gingerbread half tomorrow and in 2 weeks time the Waterford AC half Marathon, I am planning on just enjoying the day out tomorrow a few friends are running their first half so will stick with them taking it easy. I might, depending on how the body is, give it a good bash for the Waterford half feeling similar to you do not want to overdo it

Another week down. Started badly with a very busy weekend working all day every day and a stomach bug which lasted a few days so missed my planned runs on Sunday and Monday. Then my kids got sick so I missed Wednesday morning too! However I think the enforced break did me good as I didn’t really take a break after DCM and I was starting to get tired last week. I noticed a massive difference when I finally got back out running and all twinges gone etc.

Thursday: 8.2kms @ 5.49min/km - went out for a slow run with a friend but ended up being my second fastest time on that route. She’s fast anyway but we were chatting and obviously the break since the previous Friday stood to me.

Saturday: Marathon Club Ireland Half Marathon. 2:03:55; Pace 5:52 - very pleased with this as firstly it’s a pb by 59 seconds. It was an icy morning and had to run some of it on the grass and walk over a bridge holding a rail on the first lap. It was bitter but sunny and a lovely morning for a run. I was pretty much on my own for all of the race as only 40-50 out on the course altogether and you have to be self sufficient in terms of water etc so I just treated it as a training run really though made a bit more of an effort in the last 5km when I did check my watch and realized that I could get a pb if I tried a bit harder. Was nice to get a medal and the spread at the end was fab. The best part is that I do not have one twinge now. I could go running again tonight. Massive improvement compare to last year when I couldn’t walk for a few days after Clonakilty half marathon.

So, 29.3kms done this week and now at 1486.3kms for 2017. 76.9 miles to go.

This week I want to get out for 4 runs. 3*8kms and maybe a 16km.

Sunday 26th Nov: 8km @ 6.04min/km

With a friend and bit too fast considering I did a half the day before. Squeezing miles in as I knew I couldn’t at the end of the week as husband away.

Monday 27th Nov: 8km @ 6:21min/km

With another friend and deliberately slower but was tired too even though hadn’t felt that during the day. Maybe overdoing it but determined to get my 1000 miles. Passed the 1500km mark on this run so that was a good feeling.

Wednesday 29th Nov: 10.1km @ 6.33min/km

A friend asked to join me for 5km so slower than I intended but it was icy out too so no harm. It was a beautiful day and I just enjoyed being out in the sun in the park and made sure not to slip!

Saturday 2nd Dec: 3km warmup and Parkrun 5km @ 5.14 min/km

Pacer Saturday and started next to the 26 min pacer even though had intended to take it easy and do 28 mins. Ran along next to the her for the first couple of Km’s and then something behind my right knee kind of popped. I slowed down straight away and would have stopped except my husband and two small boys had come to support me for the first time ever so kept going. It was a tough race and any notions I was harboring of doing the full marathon in Clonakilty next week are gone now. Not because of the knee but because I felt tired. Kids have had me awake a lot this week though.

Plan for next week is 2 x 8km runs Monday and Wednesday and then Clon half marathon on Saturday. Need to try sleep more and eat better. Eating way too much rubbish lately.

Great running K:D

I would deffo sleep as much as you can with children, I think I may have needed more this week myself and eat well, I may have slacked on that as well I may have needed to eat more carbs possibly before my half yesterday :)

No reason why you can not go out next weekend and have a great day running I hope it is not as hilly as mine was :eek: and I love hills LOL

have a great week and I am looking forward to hearing all about the half next week

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    Great running K:D

I would deffo sleep as much as you can with children, I think I may have needed more this week myself and eat well, I may have slacked on that as well I may have needed to eat more carbs possibly before my half yesterday :)

No reason why you can not go out next weekend and have a great day running I hope it is not as hilly as mine was :eek: and I love hills LOL

have a great week and I am looking forward to hearing all about the half next week

Clon is known for the hills but at least I know they are there and where they are and will account for them. One is at about 9km and 3-4km long and super steep. I walked it last year. Hoping to run it but really slowly this year.

Advertisement