Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Haha.. You're nuts!

I was thinking that myself during miles 10-12 today in my LSR!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

This is it in a nutshell. Training is specific to distances. After DCM training we were in a position take advantage of a fitness level way above where most of us started. It opened the possibility of running faster at most distances. Now having achieved that level of fitness it will be harder to make improvement on recent times. By the way Ariana I think you have huge time gains to make judging by training runs.

Wish i had your confidence in me :o But thanks it does mean a lot :)
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Oh yeah I get that. My goals are pbs in both cork and Dublin and just maybe i’ll concentrate on something else after that ... or after Clon again maybe ... and the maybe that Burren race could be interesting next year :D

Or an ultra.... ;)

ariana` wrote: »
    Wish i had your confidence in me :o But thanks it does mean a lot :)

Or an ultra.... ;)

Well 50km isn’t much more than a marathon so could start with that I suppose 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well 50km isn’t much more than a marathon so could start with that I suppose ��

exactly LOL get you on the trails and you could aim for an ultra or this weekend in Glendalough in Wicklow is the Glendalough clover 80km solo or team event :cool:

I wanted to do the team event this year but hubby said no :D

Baby75 wrote: »
    exactly LOL get you on the trails and you could aim for an ultra or this weekend in Glendalough in Wicklow is the Glendalough clover 80km solo or team event :cool:

I wanted to do the team event this year but hubby said no :D

I was driving to Dunmanway for work earlier and looking at some of the countryside thinking trail running would be cool actually. I thought it wasn’t big down here but I see more and more stuff popping up about trail running.

• Advertisement

I was driving to Dunmanway for work earlier and looking at some of the countryside thinking trail running would be cool actually. I thought it wasn’t big down here but I see more and more stuff popping up about trail running.

Yea I see loads out now have you looked up IMRA see if they have anything close to you

Baby75 wrote: »
    Yea I see loads out now have you looked up IMRA see if they have anything close to you

I did and there wasn’t anything on suitable dates but i’ve Seen a few other things pop up since.

Week 6: Cork City Marathon Training

DH was away all week so roped in babysitters for the entire week. Was lovely to run in daylight all week for a change.

Monday: Planned 4 miles pace (9:33)
    Actual paces: 9:17; 9:24; 9:23; 9:42 (average 9:28)

Ran with a friend in the park in the afternoon. We were a bit fast for some reason. I deliberately pulled back in the last mile but had wanted to pull back to 9:33 rather than slower. I’d set the run up as a workout on my watch hoping i’d manage pacing better but apparently not. Having said that the pace was fine considering we were chatting. Also got to do this run in a t-shirt and Capri pants as lovely and warm - 15 degrees. I thought Summer was coming at last :-)

Wednesday: Planned 15 mile LSR (10:33-11:03)
    Actual: Average 10:33 but purely due to a couple of slow miles in the middle

This was a fab run at the start. Weather sunny and 1 degree but not a puff of wind so didn’t need a jacket. I added some hills in when planning my route. Sunday’s Well hill is a whopper at 6-7 miles and then a nice downhill and then the drag up to Wilton was a little tough but I was telling myself I’ll thank myself on the 3rd June - was running past the part where I struggled in Cork last June!

I had a mini pack of haribo at 5 miles and by 9miles I was struggling big time and hanging for the next pack. Had them at 10 miles but too late and somewhere between 11 and 12 miles I took the gel I’d stuffed into my pocket earlier. Once that kicked in I picked up the pace again but miles 9-12 were tough. Must fuel properly next time. 4 hours sleep didn’t help. My last mile was then my fastest.

Thursday: Planned 45 mins recovery run (11:00 or slower)
    Actual: 10:33; 10:34; 11:02; 11:24

Did this with a friend but paced it wrong again at the start. Funnily enough she wanted slow but kept pulling away a bit and we just ended up a bit too fast. She stopped after the first lap and I paced it better the last half then.

Friday: 15 mins pool running
    Physio recommended this - maybe I should have googled first but was at work early and hopped into the pool and ran up and down for 15 minutes feeling like a complete twat! Googled it later and apparently should be in a deep end with a bouyancy belt. No deep end in this pool so hopefully still got some benefit!

Saturday: 8 mile run with 4-6 100 m strides towards the end

Didn’t set this up as a workout as wanted to do my strides while I was in the park which was part of route. Got to the park at 5miles so decided to do them then. Had worked out in my head that I need to run fast for 0.06 of a mile, jog that distance and fast again then etc. I was so busy watching my watch that I totally lost count of my fast runs and had it in my head I was doing it for 1.2 miles but that would have been 1.2 kms! I saw my run on Garmin Connect and realized I had done 9 strides probably way too fast too so that explains why the last 2 miles back to the car were tough going!! Anyway done now.

Total miles for the week: 31.2
    Total miles for the year: 198.8

In other news Garmin sent me back a replacement shiny new watch so I feel whole again.

Week 7: Cork City Marathon Training & Beast from the East came to visit

Monday: Planned 45 min Tempo run
    Actual: 10 mins @ 10:20; 25 mins @ 9:04; 8:49; 8:47; last 13 mins @ 10:34

Did this with a friend. She was nervous as struggled on our 40 min tempo run but I did go too fast there. Tables were turned this time and I was the one struggling, mainly with my breathing. Not sure if I was getting a slight cold or if it was the cold temperatures. Anyway, we kept to the planned pace and stuck to the planned paces so I was happy with that.

Tuesday: rest day

Wednesday: Planned 16 mile LSR
    Actual - 20 mins interval training on the dreadmill.

Was up and dressed for my lsr and just about to leave the house to drop the kids off to school and crèche when the snow started pouring down. Next thing school was cancelled and that was the end of any plans. We went out sledging instead!

I got on the treadmill that night. I hate them and within a few mins have myself convinced I’m going to faint or fall off or something. Anyway, I did a 5 min warm up and then 6 x 1 min at 12km/hr with 1 minute walking in between. Even the 1 minute at speed was hard :-) I did a 3 minute cool down to bring me up to 20 mins and got off dripping in sweat. Distance covered was 1.8 miles. Hopefully that’s the one and only time i’ll need to use it this year. :-)

Thursday: snowed in - more sledging and pulling the kids round the place

Friday: snowed in - got the skis out and skies down our hill 3 times. Trekking back up in ski boots with all my gear was some exercise! A ski lift would have been nice :-) Also went out for a short walk when my husband finished work mainly to get away from the kids!

Saturday: still snowed in. Was supposed to have a hair appointment in our local town (11kms away). Came up with a plan to wear my ski gear and hiking boots and run/walk/hike in and out again. Major cabin fever at this stage. Not so clever when it took me an hour to do 3.7kms though there were a few stops chatting to neighbours!! Never got to my appointment!

So total distance covered was 5 miles outdoor running. That brought me up over 200 miles for January and February. Not sure if treadmill miles are included in the 1000 mile challenge so didn’t include the whopping 1.8 miles I did on Wednesday anyway.

Plan for this week is a couple of 10kms and to do last week’s 16 miles on Wednesday morning. At least this week was to be a step back week so i’ll Just do last weeks runs this week.

Week 8 Cork City Marathon Training

Sunday: 6.2miles@ 10:27 Return to running after the snow
    This was just a gentle run to ease myself back into it and also needed to be careful as the snow was just thawing. It was really slushy and dog poo everywhere for some odd reason. Just a grand easy run really in the rain.

Monday: Planned 10km race
    Actual: 6miles with some fast friends and a pb
    (9:09; 8:48; 9:15; 9:10; 9:13; 8:35)
    My training plan had a 10km race in it - I wasn’t able to do a race but some of the girls from my WhatsApp group said they’d join me for the run and they happen to be the faster girls. I had the fear heading to meet them thinking I hadn’t a hope of keeping up but went for it. It was amazing. Felt fast at the start and I wondered would I be able to keep up. We were also having the odd chat. As time passed I was really enjoying it. Felt like I was belting along and really wasn’t taking that much out of me. I was out in front with one of the girls and there’s a half a mile drag towards the end and she started pulling away from me. I clung on with a bit of heavy breathing and managed to stick with her. We had to run past the cars to make sure we got to 6 miles. I wish it had entered my head to do 6.2miles and get a 10km pb. I know it’s not a real pb and in a race I’d probably be capable of more considering I was chatting at times but it felt really good.

Wednesday 16 miles LSR
    This was the run I missed last week when snowed in. I had to drop the car to the garage for a service and I headed off then. Beautiful day, sunny and crisp. I left my running jacket in the car and warmed up quick enough, mainly because the wind was behind me for the first 6 miles! When I changed direction at that point the wind was quite cooling! The run was a bit stop start at times as running through the city. It’s amazing how one person can take over a whole footpath sometimes. Why can’t people walk on the left or right as opposed to the middle swinging a bag or their arms and traffic coming towards me means I can’t hop on the road to get round them. It annoys me a bit ;-)

Anyway, from mile 7 or 8 the drags and hills started. I planned my route to include most of the 2nd half of Cork City Marathon. I joined the route at mile 10 as I entered Ballyphehane. The hills were fine really and brought back loads of memories of the day last year. Farranlea road broke me last year and found it a drag yesterday and funnily enough when I got to the top and it was behind me I kind started speeding up without realizing it and was trotting along nicely, feeling strong. It was my first time doing it since Cork last year and having it behind me gave me a bit of an adrenaline rush even just on a training run. The heaven’s opened then with 2 miles to go and I got drowned and really cold. I got back to the garage to get my car and spotted a coffee machine and had the nicest cappuccino ever!

Thursday: 6 mile recovery run @ 11:21
    Exact same route as Monday and 14 mins slower. Quite pleased with myself for holding the pace but boy was I cold. I never warmed up. I had company for the first 3km which was nice and then I kept going by myself. It was very enjoyable. I heard an ice cream van at one stage. It was 7:30 and dark - who buys ice cream at that hour??

Total: 34.3 miles covered this week. Feeling great.

A little nervous of those hills and where they come in the marathon. Planning on including hills in my long runs as much as possible and towards the end of my LSRs too when I can. Also going to introduce some hill interval training in my plan.

So that’s my week. 12 weeks to go until D-Day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Week 8 Cork City Marathon Training

It’s amazing how one person can take over a whole footpath sometimes. Why can’t people walk on the left or right as opposed to the middle swinging a bag or their arms and traffic coming towards me means I can’t hop on the road to get round them. It annoys me a bit ;-)

Me too! I'm always surprised by how difficult it can be to get around one person and then they give you a dirty look when you excuse yourself!

You're doing some great training - fair play.

Great week K, well done, you're flying it and well on track.

Any races lined up - did you decide about the HM?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Me too! I'm always surprised by how difficult it can be to get around one person and then they give you a dirty look when you excuse yourself!

I'm sooo glad this is not just me :D, I've been known to say 'excuse me please' and then when they look surprised/annoyed that they have to move I'll say "if you could not take up the whole path that'd be fantastic, thanks so much" :pac:

Best not explain what I do when someone is coming towards me with their head buried in their phone.....!!

Thanks Huzzah, your log helped me the other day. I hadn’t seen those Boston plans before and I’m going to make use of the level 1 one. Planning on doing one of the hill sessions on Monday.
    I'm sooo glad this is not just me :D, I've been known to say 'excuse me please' and then when they look surprised/annoyed that they have to move I'll say "if you could not take up the whole path that'd be fantastic, thanks so much" :pac:

Best not explain what I do when someone is coming towards me with their head buried in their phone.....!!

Ah you can’t leave it like that - what do you do??? It is really annoying though.
    Great week K, well done, you're flying it and well on track.

Any races lined up - did you decide about the HM?

Think i’m going to leave Tralee. I never even brought it up at home in the end. I could have juggled weeks to work in the hm to the plan but after the snow week it’s not so easy so i’ll just keep going as I am for now. There is a 4 mile on locally on the 18th March. Might look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Thanks Huzzah, your log helped me the other day. I hadn’t seen those Boston plans before and I’m going to make use of the level 1 one. Planning on doing one of the hill sessions on Monday.

Great! I’m glad my ramblings helped someone. I know you know this but just be careful about mixing plans. Your training is going really well :)

Great! I’m glad my ramblings helped someone. I know you know this but just be careful about mixing plans. Your training is going really well :)

Yeah, I meant to say that in my update actually that I was looking at both plans. Mainly what i’m going to do is the mileage I had planned anyway but the Hal Higdon has me doing tempo, pace or normal run every Monday might but no hill work. I’m going to add that in from the BAA plan and then add in hills to my long run too. Hopefully that will do me a favour.

Week 9 - Cork City Marathon Training

Saturday - 8 miles.
    I did a 3 mile warm up to get to Park run adding in 5 strides at the end. It was pacer day so I decided to chance my arm following the 25 minute pacer. I hadn’t a hope. I lasted about half a km with him and let him off. Ended up 26:20 and had given it my all. I suppose realistically i’m Not training for a 5km, i’m Still eating too much crap and i’m Running 5km before I even start but I still kind of hope i’ll get faster. 2.3 mile cool down back to the car and the planned 8 miles done.

Monday - Hill intervals
    Plan was 2M WU, 6x(400m up @10km pace, 45s rest, 400m down @ HM, 90s rest), 2m CD
    It was my first time doing this and I put great effort into plotting my route and creating the workout on my Garmin. Three of the girls from my WhatsApp group said they’d join me. We set off with a 2 mile warmup and got to the hill I planned for the intervals. First flaw in my plan was the hill wasn’t lit up. We belted up it using the lights of cars to see where we were going. This wasn’t going to work. Decided no point staying there so headed off to find another hill hoping it was lit up. Took a wrong turn but eventually got to a perfect hill. Watch was totally off at this stage so stopped it and forgot about the workout. We tore up and down 5 times and headed back. It was tough but great. The other girls are much faster than me so they were flying up. I stayed at my own pace. I enjoyed it though. Looking forward to doing more of it.

Wednesday (planned was 17 mile LSR)

Had my route planned again including and ending with the hills in the 2nd half of the marathon route. Weather was awful though. I still got dressed to go and dropped the kids off. The roads were a mess with floods and branches down and there were weather warnings for the wind. I decided I was being a bit stupid so I went home and downloaded a movie and got on the treadmill. The movie didn’t help and I was still stopping and starting and gave up after 5kms.

Thursday
    Decided to do my 17 miles that night. What a great run. I set off at 6:30 pm while it was still bright but by the time I hit Cork city it was dark. I decided to run the route I planned backwards then as I figured it was better to the quieter parts of the marathon route earlier rather than later. I think the hills are actually steeper backwards but I was powering up them and feeling amazing. Everything about the run was just great. I never got tired. I did take 3 gels. Realistically I probably only needed two but I was conscious of the time and it was cold and I didn’t want to risk burning out and struggling. I decided that I was feeling so good i’d pick up the pace for the last 4 miles and that was no bother. I could have easily kept going at the end. Average pace was 10:07 which is a bit fast really considering my mp should be 9:33 but I don’t seem to be very good at adhering to very slow pace on long runs!

Not sure if the extra energy came from having more rest before the run or fueling during the day as opposed to only having breakfast before my normal LSR.

Only issue is I went straight to bed and was so stiff Friday and yesterday then whereas I normally wouldn’t be after my long runs but then i’m on my feet walking round all day afterwards normally.

Total 34.8 miles

Week 10 of training
    Saturday - planned 9 miles
    As usual was including Parkrun in my run though had no intention of racing it. It was the Patrick’s Day one so I wanted to take part. Got to wear my Green Cork marathon top from last year. My body was tired and stiff and I had a head cold and a cough. Met a friend and we jogged just over 3 miles beforehand. Started Parkrun straight away. Took me 29:27 mins and I could not have gone any faster. My quads were like lead weights. Really struggled going back to the car. Even walked a part. It’s 2.3 miles and i’d intended doing 3 miles but I just couldn’t.

Anyway, all good. Was worried I was getting a chest infection but seem a bit better today. I have a tempo run in my plan for tomorrow. I’ll play it by ear whether I just take it easy and do the distance or see if i’m upto 30 mins of fast running. I also have an 18 miler in for Wednesday and then a step back week after that!

Great week K, the long run is really getting long now! How many weeks to Cork?

Great week K, the long run is really getting long now! How many weeks to Cork?

11 weeks to go now so plenty time. This week is 18 miles and then I’ve two weeks of 13 milers - one was supposed to be a half marathon but will do Limerick in May instead. The shorter runs suit as kids off over Easter and doing a course so it’s going to be hectic.

Week 10 Cork City Marathon Training

Monday Bank Holiday - Tempo Run
    Planned 10 Min WU; 30 min tempo pace 9min/mile; 10 min cool down

Actual: WU and CD as planned; 30 min paces: 8:57; 8:57; 9;
    Total distance 5.4 miles

Looking back at this I’m very pleased with my pacing. My legs were still heavy from the 17 mile run on Thursday evening and I was coughing quite a bit. On top of that the wind was strong and bitter until I turned around. I didn’t tell any friends I was going as I knew I wouldn’t be able for talking even if I could keep going. I can’t say I enjoyed the run but sure you never regret a run when it’s over and I was rather pleased with it.

Wednesday- Long run
    Planned and actual: 18 miles (9:59 min/mile, 2:59:53)

This was lovely. As usual I was nervous prior to setting out but got a nice day and temperatures had risen. 2 degrees starting off and drizzle so I put on my jacket but I was able to take that off after an hour as it was warming up and dried up quickly too. I tend now to look at my watch on long runs besides the odd check and just run by feel and comfort. It was a pleasure running and I loved seeing the daffodils out in Fitzgerald’s Park. I headed then for the marathon route and no drop in pace on the hills or any of that route which I was happy with. I did tire afterwards but had 5 miles to go after the hills same as on Marathon day so it’s good practice.

While my legs were tired after this run and heavy the last few days, it was nothing like last week after I did my 17 miles at night and went straight to bed after. The key is definitely to move around all day and I tend not to sit from one end of the day until the other (until the kids go to bed anyway)

I worry slightly that I’m doing my long runs too fast but I’m comfortable and it’s not taking too much out of me.

I passed my 300mile mark on this run too.

Thursday - Recovery Run
    5 miles @10:49

Did this with friends and nice and easy with chatting the whole run. Very enjoyable.

Saturday - Parkrun day
    Plan - 6 miles
    Did a 1.9 mile warm up with 3x 100 m strides at the end
    Parkrun paces were 8:34; 9:10; 8:57 ; Time 28 mins
    Legs were more tired than I realized so pulled right back after the first mile. I was most comfortable in the 3rd mile really.
    The sun was out, clear skies and lots of people were hanging around chatting afterwards. I met loads of people and suddenly it was 45 mins later and I was going to skip my 1 mile cool down but I was freezing and had a shop to do - so I ran for a mile gently to warm up and did my shopping!

So 34.6 miles covered this week.

There ends 3 weeks of high mileage and this is a step back week now with my longest run just 13 miles which is a treat! Looking forward to running Parkrun next week when my legs aren’t so tired!

Also I’m now on day 5 of eating well which is the longest I’ve lasted in a while. I’ve just under half a stone to get down to be at my ideal weight for the half in Limerick and the full in Cork then.

• Advertisement

you are doing great :) you are putting in some great training

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I worry slightly that I’m doing my long runs too fast but I’m comfortable and it’s not taking too much out of me.

Just be careful K, you said this but the week is full of mentions of tired heavy legs.

Just be careful K, you said this but the week is full of mentions of tired heavy legs.

Funnily enough I realised this when I read over before posting. I’m slightly conflicted as to whether I’d have that towards the end of three heavy weeks anyway or if I’ve answered my own question and my pace is too fast. It’s not actually faster than for DCM as I checked back. Will be wary over the next few weeks though.

Funnily enough I realised this when I read over before posting. I’m slightly conflicted as to whether I’d have that towards the end of three heavy weeks anyway or if I’ve answered my own question and my pace is too fast. It’s not actually faster than for DCM as I checked back. Will be wary over the next few weeks though.

I get ya. But at the same time you're now doing some hill sessions and tempo work. That makes it more important that the easy days are easy days.

you are adding in hills so they will tire the legs and I agree on watching pace on long runs and slowing down, it is great you are feeling good but maybe it is having a knock-on effect during the week

True! Thanks guys.

Week 11 Cork City Marathon Training

This was a step back week which I headed into with tired legs and the tiredness had given me a little bit of a loss in confidence. Must remember this after the next 3 week buildup!! Turned out all I needed was a step back week and the legs seem to be back where they should be.

Sunday:
    Planned 6 miles easy
    Actual 6.32 miles @ 10.03

So a little bit faster than I should have been really though it didn’t bother me. I was with a friend and we were both enjoying the novelty of our first bright evening run of the year. The clocks had changed that day. I was thinking that I’ll have bright evenings from now until DCM assuming the clock changes that day again this year. Our pacing was really even and heart rate grand though.

Tuesday:
    Planned 6 miles easy
    Actual 6 miles very easy at 10.43

Solo parenting this week so needed a babysitter and managed an afternoon run. The weather was nice and headed off. Found the run slightly boring or something but headed onto a few trails then to make life more interesting.

Thursday:
    Planned 13 mile long run
    Actual 13.2 miles @ 10.04 (first 11 miles slower and last 2 miles @ 9.22 & 9.14

Needed a babysitter again with the kids off school and had planned this for Thursday morning. Forecast was for very heavy rain in the morning and better in the afternoon so I switched the babysitter to the afternoon, woke up Thursday morning to clear skies and a beautiful morning and the clouds rolled in on time for my run - oh well! Started nice and gently and totally ran by feel. My pace picked up after I was warmed up and I just enjoyed it. Had included a few decent hills in my route and the rain poured down as I climbed the first one in Sunday’s Well and down the other side. I headed for Farranlea road then and it eventually dried off and the sun came out again to dry me off. I ate a few haribo jellies at 1:15 though I was feeling full of energy, possibly after the bowl of pasta for lunch. I picked up the speed for the last 2 miles just because I felt like it. I could have easily kept going and was amused 13 miles didn’t feel long.

The step back week and easy runs were doing their job!

Saturday
    Planned: 9 mile run
    Actual: 3.2mile WU @ 10:36, Parkrun @ 8:32; 2.8mile CD @ 11:13

My goal for parkrun this morning was even pacing. I’m a holy terror for belting off at the start, breathing all over the place and struggling then. I aimed to do it in 27 minutes and did it in 26:50 and fairly even paces too with the 1st and 3rd miles identical. Goal achieved!

All in all I’m pleased with this week. I ate well and dropped a few lbs too which is good - though sitting here eating an Easter egg as I type! Delighted to be back feeling energetic again and good while running. 34.8 miles done and passed the 350 mile mark for the year this morning! I love the 1000 mile challenge and that the potential date for my 1000 miles keeps getting closer - even though my position has dropped down the table the last few days! Some people are doing an incredible amount of mileage!!!

Hope everybody has a happy Easter and get some runs in to counteract the chocolate.

Well done K I like the sound of a step back week I am hoping mine see's me back to normal for next week :D

ah easter egg's, I shared one with hubby checked the calories and holy moly :eek: I may watch my self the rest of the week :D

Great week! Just wondering how come the step back week has more distance (fractionally) than the 3 high mileage weeks? Was the step back all about paces? Is that the Boston plan?

• Advertisement

Great week! Just wondering how come the step back week has more distance (fractionally) than the 3 high mileage weeks? Was the step back all about paces? Is that the Boston plan?

You are very observant. It’s because of when I write my log and the fact that I do my long runs on a Wednesday. My Saturday runs actually belong to the next week in the plan so technically the 6 miles last Saturday was part of the step back week as opposed to the 9 miles yesterday. It’s also about paces though and my Monday runs are generally tempo or pace runs but was an easy run this week. It’s the Hal Higdon plan. The only thing I’m taking from the Boston plan is a hill workout on a Monday every few weeks instead of the pace or tempo.

Advertisement