Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭The Mulk

L1011 wrote: »

I know in my office (PS) we have to use AA routeplanner to submit mileage claims, and they always give the shortest route possible, irregardless of your actual mileage. It comes up as bang on 25km on this site!
    I wonder is there a convoluted way to get into the car park which adds that extra 1 km.

I think O'Rourke will win his seat comfortably, I think the demographic he targeted usually vote en-masse. The only thing that may effect him is the young vote, which should be out in force, considering it's a Saturday.

I think Murphy, Durkan and O'Rourke are safe, Lawless and Lawlor to split Naas, i'm not sure who will get in from those two.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I wonder what if any rounding they use. Is it 25,001m to tip over or 25,449?

It seems he's under 25000m on the most direct route regardless.

As an aside, my own employer pays for quickest route which can frequently involve the M50 and Port Tunnel rather than via the city centre; because they took they decision that saving a few quid and losing half an hour when they pay everyone who qualifies for mileage rather a lot more than a few quid an hour wasn't worth it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Two additional Independents on the final ballot and possibly the PBP candidate has decided to put his name down in English (or KFM decides to for some unknown reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

Two additional Independents on the final ballot and possibly the PBP candidate has decided to put his name down in English (or KFM decides to for some unknown reason)

PBP candidate's name is in english on the KCC List

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I've a feeling that its something like 7% per year until 2030 but Leo thinks 2% will do.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/RPzrSr2S1ikbEFqZ8

He could do what most of the people he's supposed to represent do: get a bus or train FFS!

Think O’Rourke, I see Maria Bailey in another guise. Anything to bleed the tax payer it seems.

• Advertisement

AnswerIs42 wrote: »

Shame on him. How is he even running again?

And he’s 5/2 on to be elected?

scheister wrote: »
    PBP candidate's name is in english on the KCC List

His own Twitter has it in in Irish, so that's a nice way to generate confusion - particularly as I suspect not everyone knows Mac Mathuna = Mahon. Very limited votes for PBP in the constituency even in '16 anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Why not Stagg. Believe me he was a great TD.

I won't vote for Frank because of the mileage thing (Lawless takes the train to work and doesn't claim mileage ,though I believe he gets the whole cost of his leap card refunded, but as things to complain about politicians go that's not too much!) .
    My memory is that when he was a TD, Stagg was a great County Councillor.
    Basically one of my thoughts.

I have had run in's with both Frank and Stagg.

Stagg told me i shouldn't be worrying about Leixlip as i live in Celbridge and why was i at a meeting the concerned Leixlip when i lived in Celbridge (I'm from Leixlip and so are several generations of my family) He also called my uncle a Bastard in public in front of us and my cousins who were only kids.

Then there's the golden handshake he has already got and said he wouldn't return if he was reelected back in 16/17 stateing “I don’t think it’s unfair.”
    He got €247,231 https://www.thesun.ie/news/1828233/former-labour-td-emmet-stagg-says-he-wont-return-his-e161-golden-handshake-if-he-returns-to-the-dail/

Then how he delt with the park issue when he was found in an area used for gay prostitution.
    Overall there is a lot of animosity in my family towards him and in the locals when he called to the door he ran a mile when he found out who he was talking too.
    The recently elected Lab counselor Ciara Galvin is doing good work in the area but as long as Stagg is on the ballot Lab wont get my vote

As for Frank he'd pose for anything that shows him in a good light and claims sole responsibility for anything he only lightly touches. iv gotten into it with him several times over the bridge crossing in Celbridge and an outer orbital route. His decisions back in 16 to disregard the proposal to temporally try preventing turning across traffic to the hatch rd from the bridge.
    His refusal to answer questions or participate in debates/interviews with the local community page.
    Least we not forget not only did he not want to repeal the 8th, he didn't even think we should have had a referendum on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

washburn73 wrote: »
    When it comes to being active for Maynooth and Kilcock, Stagg beats Durkan very easily in that regard, even though he's not an elected representative.

Stagg does nothing but turn up to the opening of anything. He doesn't involve himself in actually organising anything but arrives to get his picture taken at every opportunity. I'll be amazed if he gets in - he'll get the traditional Stagg vote and that's it.

There will be a FG TD in Kildare North. At least one.

His own Twitter has it in in Irish, so that's a nice way to generate confusion - particularly as I suspect not everyone knows Mac Mathuna = Mahon. Very limited votes for PBP in the constituency even in '16 anyway.

So Paul Mahon is from Carbury which used to be in North Kildare and is now in South Kildare. Yet he's running in North Kildare. Obviously didn't get the memo.

Pbp got less votes than Renua in 2016 and most of the Renua votes were probably customers of Fitzgerald's flower shop so not much of a chance for PbP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Orion wrote: »
    So Paul Mahon is from Carbury which used to be in North Kildare and is now in South Kildare. Yet he's running in North Kildare. Obviously didn't get the memo.

Pbp got less votes than Renua in 2016 and most of the Renua votes were probably customers of Fitzgerald's flower shop so not much of a chance for PbP.
    Carbury being in South Kildare is freaking me out!

I would expect that at the next review, the constituency is either going to further tighten to just be the towns; or expand back to its old boundaries and become a 5 seater.

I would expect that at the next review, the constituency is either going to further tighten to just be the towns; or expand back to its old boundaries and become a 5 seater.
    Is there any way for Kildare to be one constituency - an eight seat constituency or something?

Is there any way for Kildare to be one constituency - an eight seat constituency or something?

Not without legislative change; as the current legislation limits constituencies to be 3, 4 or 5 seats.

The minimum of 3 is a constitutional minimum. There have previously been 6-9 seat constituencies but I believe there has been nothing over 5 since 1948.

The huge increase in Independents in the 2014 locals was "blamed" on the up to 9 seat council areas that became common and that's why many were cut down in size again. That it was reflected in the 2016 Dail was ignored!

Population is too high for Kildare to be a 5 seater - or do you just mean North Kildare? Doubt any FF or FG govt will allow NK to be a 5 seater - too high a chance of another non establishment TD getting in. Not that they'd gerrymander at all of course!

Carbury being in South Kildare is freaking me out!

Imagine how the people of Portarlington feel!

Population is too high for Kildare to be a 5 seater - or do you just mean North Kildare? Doubt any FF or FG govt will allow NK to be a 5 seater - too high a chance of another non establishment TD getting in. Not that they'd gerrymander at all of course!
    Like an 8 seater (apparently not on 5 is the max I am told) The current arrangement is fine for Newbridge and Kilcock but unfair for Carbury and especially Naas (maybe unfair is a childish way to describe it).

I meant NK on its original 97 boundaries or close to.

Constituency Commission has made some decisions the government has really not liked before!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I see from the cover of the Liffey Champion that Frankie is in a spot of bother in Celbridge over his posters...

500880.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/liffeychampion/photos/a.119207824781189/2616937541674859/?type=3&source=48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I see from the cover of the Liffey Champion that Frankie is in a spot of bother in Celbridge over his posters...

500880.jpg

https://m.facebook.com/liffeychampion/photos/a.119207824781189/2616937541674859/?type=3&source=48

And made sure he claimed credit for it by the looks of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

appears Kildare North take the gold and silver medal for oldest candiates in the country with Stagg at 75 and Durkan at 74

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

there was an article about O'Rourke from a few years ago:

https://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/05/30/the-mileage-of-shame/

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

i personally dont know how to vote, as mentioned about, TDs only turn up for the photo and claim credit for any initiative.

So im thinking on voting by party. way i see it:

FF- bankrupted the country in 2007/2008. they may claim innocence. But stuff like the FF tent at the Galway races makes me cynical. Plus its conservative with 8th amendment objectors. And they have had a few bad apples in the past.

FG- done well to bring the economy back from the brink. Surprised they are polling badly. I dont agree with their centre right. And im annoyed about teh national, broadband plan and the new childrens hospital spiralling costs

SF- not going to win in North Kildar

SD - Catherine Murphy will probably win.

Greens - I think air pollution is a very neglected issue that needs more attention. Like the smoking ban if we can be a leader on progression, send a message to Europe that people care about the enviornment and climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I like Tony Lawlor, I've personal experience of him going all out, and very effectively to help us with a pyrite problem. This was while he was still a TD. On foot of my eMail he phoned me, worked on the issue, phoned me again with the result of his work and subsequently called to the house to follow up.

At the time I had also eMailed all of the others and got a stock reply but no further action or follow up. Consequently Durkan, whom I know (and canvassed for) from years ago can sing for our votes.

Otherwise:

O'Rourke is a tit, and typical FF shallow opportunist.
    Stagg - yeuch.
    Murphy - perennial hurler on the ditch.
    Lawless has a brain, can actually handle a reasonable argument so worth a preference.
    The Greens are daft and clueless about real environmental issues.
    The others - SF/IRA, PBP etc are loonies.

Rosahane wrote: »
    I like Tony Lawlor, I've personal experience of him going all out, and very effectively to help us with a pyrite problem. This was while he was still a TD. On foot of my eMail he phoned me, worked on the issue, phoned me again with the result of his work and subsequently called to the house to follow up.

At the time I had also eMailed all of the others and got a stock reply but no further action or follow up. Consequently Durkan, whom I know (and canvassed for) from years ago can sing for our votes.

Otherwise:

O'Rourke is a tit, and typical FF shallow opportunist.
    Stagg - yeuch.
    Murphy - perennial hurler on the ditch.
    Lawless has a brain, can actually handle a reasonable argument so worth a preference.
    The Greens are daft and clueless about real environmental issues.
    The others - SF/IRA, PBP etc are loonies.
    I rather doubt that Vincent Martin Senior Counsel is daft and clueless.
    I can see why you might dislike Murphy after she held Denis O'Brien 's feet to the fire.

That said you shouldn't bother with any of them.

Have the weekend away.

I rather doubt that Vincent Martin Senior Counsel is daft and clueless.
    I can see why you might dislike Murphy after she held Denis O'Brien 's feet to the fire.

That said you shouldn't bother with any of them.

Have the weekend away.

What I said was that the Greens are daft and clueless about real environmental issues, which of course is true.

For instance, Do you think that destroying upland habitats by building wind farms is environment friendly?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would agree that the greens are mostly idiots. Anyone voting for the greens is simply voting for increased taxes its like turkeys voting for Christmas. They're major manifesto idea is the re introduction of wolves... I mean WTF?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It’s worth having a read of the Green Party’s manifesto:
    https://www.greenparty.ie/policies/climate-action/

...long on fluffy aspiration and woefully short on specifics.

For instance, their policy: “Transition to 100% decarbonised power system” effectively precluded anything other than Nuclear as both Wind and Solar rely on fast start Gas Turbines to provide power when there is no wind or sunshine.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in favour of nuclear but I don’t think it’s part of the Green’s policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Agreed, any party that claims to be environmental, and denies the use of nuclear power as part of a strategy to provide carbon free power, is not making decisions based on science and facts

• Advertisement

c
    BaronVon wrote: »
    Agreed, any party that claims to be environmental, and denies the use of nuclear power as part of a strategy to provide carbon free power, is not making decisions based on science and facts

11years ago I bought a 407 diesel, based on what the government of the day said about the positives of driving a diesel vehicle. The Green Party were a part of that government.

I’lol never trust a green again.

Advertisement