Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Shop Maynooth

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I would love a decent local Indian and also a Mexican:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Moonbeam wrote: »

Oh a Mexican restaurant would be great!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭SQ2

On the other side of the street, caulfields appeared to be closed this eve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Caulfields has closed early a few times because its been empty. The recent sale fell through because of some outstanding bills. Its only a matter if time before its gone for good though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

SQ2 wrote: »
    On the other side of the street, caulfields appeared to be closed this eve

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Councillor

The sale of Caulfields has gone through. It is closed for a couple of weeks because of problems in getting a licence. Business was as good here as in any of the pubs in the town. An Indian restaurant is likely to open above Caulfields in February.

Must be a new sale - the last one was called off cos the title holders were insisting that the buyer take over debts unrelated to the sale. Business in there was appallingly bad. I was in there on a Friday night for a meeting - when we left the back bar was empty (10:30pm) and there were maybe 5 people in the front bar. Yet the same night there was a good crowd in both bars in Brady's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Aww I love caulfields

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is mantra not doing food during the day anymore? Doors closed at the moment

• Advertisement

ORION. It is not a new sale for Caulfields. Same owners as last October--Mahons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

MYOB wrote: »
    I would imagine that Carrig Donn are out of their second unit soon as it was Christmas stuff
    Closed now, and Crosshatch have their closing down sale signs up.
    Is mantra not doing food during the day anymore? Doors closed at the moment
    Doesn't appear to be. Drove past at 5pm yesterday evening and the doors were shut. Pity, their burgers were nice.

Is the bookies down near The Roost closed? No odds on the window signs, shutters down on a Saturday afternoon and some form of notice in the window. Was driving past, though, so couldn't read it.

Yes Floods Bookies has closed. Too many bookies in Maynooth anyway.

Two down from peak - there used to be two branches of Bruce Betting - but definitely does seem to be an oversupply.

I'm told that Caulfields is due to open this day week, 28 January

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

Any info on Mantra doing food at the weekends anymore? Went up two Sundays and they were closed. Best pub grub in the town :(

No word on Mantra. Bradys food is fairly good. They have a new Chef since October last.

Carraig Donn are expanding into the Christmas unit from what I hear

Orion wrote: »
    There's some work going on in mamma Mias. Driving by I saw a couple of Indian looking guys coming out - not dressed as workmen. With a bit of luck we might get a recent Indian restaurant.
    TheBody wrote: »
    Oh a Mexican restaurant would be great!!

Looks like it's going to be a bistro... the window has advertising for staff at the moment

A bistro could be good too - saw the sign myself last night.

• Advertisement

Councillor wrote: »
    I'm told that Caulfields is due to open this day week, 28 January

Was walking by Caulfields last night and there's a sign on the door that due to it being closed Emmet Stagg's advice clinic is cancelled. Could he not just use Brady's or O'Neills instead?

With Caufields supposed to be opening on Monday there did not seem to be much sense in changing the Advice Service for 2 days

Jesus, seriously, have you ever seen anything like it... The amount of businesses coming and going... Golden Discs slipped away during the week!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,148 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Did Caulfields reopen? Does anyone know who is taking it over?

Caulfields has not reopened yet. The Mahon brothers own it and the "word" is that they want to lease it out???

Councillor wrote: »
    Caulfields has not reopened yet. The Mahon brothers own it and the "word" is that they want to lease it out???

Are they the same lads who own Mahons in kildare town?

Don't think so. They have a couple of pubs in New York. One of them was a very good boxer and they are from Kilcloon originally. Their father, Paddy, died about two months ago.

Wrong family so. Can someone let me know if they find out who is taking it over? I'd like to get the contract for the vending machines there, and would really appreciate a heads up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Crosshatch have their closing down sale signs up.
    Shop is still open, no mention of closing down, but no name over the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭Rathkenny

SQ2 wrote: »
    Jesus, seriously, have you ever seen anything like it... The amount of businesses coming and going... Golden Discs slipped away during the week!

Sad to see golden discs go. Manor mills is starting to look quite empty now.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what's going on up at Tesco with the new paths? Was hoping there was going to be something done to the old Tesco or are the new footpaths just paths to go over to the other shops?

Anyone know when that bistro is going to open on the main street?

Orion wrote: »
    Anyone know when that bistro is going to open on the main street?

I believe within "a couple of months". Mediterranean grub.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Oh hai wrote: »
    Does anyone know what's going on up at Tesco with the new paths? Was hoping there was going to be something done to the old Tesco or are the new footpaths just paths to go over to the other shops?

no idea but it looks nice and it is easier to drive towards Boots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

no idea but it looks nice and it is easier to drive towards Boots.

That corner was ridiculous!! Such an impossible one to take neatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Great forum...the difference in the village in the 15 years I'm here is mad!

The difference in the 3 that am here is mad;)
    I hope more shops open up in Manor Mills,it is a shame to see empty units.
    I still want a pennys!!

A Penneys would do so well in Maynooth. None in the local area (Blanch and Naas the nearest) so they'd have a big catchment area and it's full of students, they'd fly it here! A Penneys going in to the old Tesco is wishful thinking but it would be amazing! :) A cinema would do great here too.

Not gonna happen though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sweensie

Could anyone tell me if BikeTrax is still open? I live in Celbridge and only come through maynooth about once every fortnight so haven't noticed, but the website is down and so is the phone number so its not looking good.....

• Advertisement

Long closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sweensie

Long closed.
    Oh what a pity. Thanks for replying so quickly. Looks like I'll be looking further afield for the bike I want

The owner got very ill and his son had no interest in keeping it going unfortunately. Is the bike shop in Celbridge gone?

Wheelworx in Lucan is good or for a more personal relationship I bought one of my bikes from Stagg Cycles in Lucan.

Plenty of work going on in Mamma Mia over the last few days, sign was coming off this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Think I saw a new charity shop across from Charter House today, in the unit Imprinta used to be in before they moved... was driving past though so didn't get much of a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Think I saw a new charity shop across from Charter House today, in the unit Imprinta used to be in before they moved... was driving past though so didn't get much of a look!

Yea, it is a charity shop. Noticed it last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Drove past it this morning, "Jay Jay", supporting the work of the Irish Children's Trust.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,165 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

I dont know about the Jay Jay in Maynooth but the one in Naas only gives 20% of the money to charity.

County seems to be getting full of "Charity" shops run as businesses or run with extremely odd basises (e.g. giving cash to random people the owner picks). Would suggest people should support the pre-existing ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭2011abc

County seems to be getting full of "Charity" shops run as businesses or run with extremely odd basises (e.g. giving cash to random people the owner picks).

Sheesh !Tell me where to apply!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

Hey guys, where is the fish shop in maynooth?

• Advertisement
Advertisement