Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very strong winds developing south, east; storm watch late Tuesday

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

^^ it ain't spring till march.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭dexter647

There seems to be a fair few posters in the weather forum from Galway. I think we should all meet up at 6am on Saturday morning (Feb 1) at Blackrock diving board to watch the storm surges in the high tide. I cannot think of a better way to start the Spring.
    Heck while we're at it, we might as well strip off all our clothes, rub our bodies with goose fat and frolic in the surf while screaming like little girls...

Who is with me?!?
    Back_away_slowly.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭relaxed

Hmmm, worrying again for Westport. Bertra beach (arrowed) took a right smashing in the storms earlier this month. Acts as a barrier for locations further east. Tides were meant to have been 2 metres over the predicted levels in the area, hence all the damage done. There's a 5.0m tide predicted for Westport at 6.17am on the morning of the 1st.

291359.jpg

Any recent post storm pictures of that beach? I was there a few years back and even then patches off it looked like the sea could wash straight through it creating another island, if I remember correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

18z develops a really potent storm out to sea and the gradient that comes over us is still very tight even if the system is filling somewhat.

Extremely dangerous at this point.
    gfs-0-48.png?18

Fills somewhat but still very threatening.
    gfs-0-66.png?18

Sustained gales well inland..

Rtavn669.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

18Z GFS shows gusts up to 100 km/h possible for most areas south of Ulster (would be a Yellow Alert) and gusts of up to 110-120 km/h for western coastal counties (would be an Orange Alert).

The threat of coastal flooding will be more significant than the wind I think.

66-289UK.GIF?29-18

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

relaxed wrote: »
    Any recent post storm pictures of that beach? I was there a few years back and even then patches off it looked like the sea could wash straight through it creating another island, if I remember correctly.

Photo from the Helm's facebook page... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=617660901604898&set=a.236780076359651.53442.160037887367204&type=1&theater

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

relaxed wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057129669

Hopefully storm fatigue doesn't catch anybody out, the combination of high tides, storm surge, onshore winds could be as bad as the December system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Not the thread for it but for the interest of anyone who....might be interested. A prehistoric fort in Kerry fell victim to the last storm. It is situated on a cliff and sections have fallen into the sea as the ground beneath it eroded. I doubt it'll survive too much more bad weather. A sad sight.

http://www.rte.ie/news/player/2014/0129/20515357-section-of-prehistoric-fort-falls-into-the-sea-in-co-kerry/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

Hopefully storm fatigue doesn't catch anybody out, the combination of high tides, storm surge, onshore winds could be as bad as the December system.

And one of my mates wants to go fishing on sat at high tide. I've warned him but he wont listen. High tide on sat is the same height as the last surge, 4.50m at 13.42 which seems to coincide with the peak of the winds. A bit worrying all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Getting into hi-res territory. A fairly wide wind field developing helping to big up dem waves.

6vDnHZ.gif

Will be interesting to see if we can get an 80 knot + gust speed from this one. Something, despite media claims of the 'worst storms in years', that has yet to be surpassed this winter so far at any of the regular reporting stations.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

A 2326 update from Met Eireann,expect warnings to go up tomorrow

Dry overnight apart from a few isolated showers. some breaks in cloud in the midlands and east with patches of frost and fog forming. It will become increasingly cloudy further west. Lowest temperatures 0 to 3 degrees.
    hr.gif

Tomorrow

On Thursday, outbreaks of rain will develop in the west early in the morning and will gradually extend over much of the western half of the country. Further east it will be mainly dry with some bright intervals and a few showers. Highest temperatures of 4 to 8 degrees with light to moderate southeast breezes.

Outlook

Largely dry at first on Thursday night, apart from a few isolated showers. Some brief frost may develop early in the night as temperatures fall to between -1 and +2 degrees. This will be short lived as fresh to strong southerly winds develop and outbreaks of heavy rain move into the west of the country.

Friday will be a very wet and windy day, with some large rainfall totals expected, especially across the west of the country where there is the risk of flooding. Highs of 6 to 9 degrees, with fresh to strong southerly winds which will veer westerly later. Along the west coast the winds will reach gale force. The rain will clear the east coast early in the night, but another system will move into the west coast later in the night. The rain will be preceded by some wintry precipitation, but heavy rain will quickly follow.

Another wet day on Saturday with heavy falls of rain, with sleet on higher ground. A cool day with highs of 5 to 7 degrees. Strong and gusty westerly winds overland, but along western and southern coasts the winds will reach gale force with some severe gusts likely. The strong winds and high seas coupled with high tides may cause coastal flooding. Becoming largely dry overnight, apart from showers along the west coast. Cold with lows of -2 to +2.

Sunday will see the showers continuing along the west coast, but it will stay drier elsewhere. Highs of 5 to 8 degrees.

The unsettled weather will continue into the early days of next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Storm has developed with a 988 mb centre east of Newfoundland and steady deepening underway. Models continue to show a very strong low Friday mid-day around 20W with only slight weakening before what appears to be landfall in Mayo around 0700-0900h Saturday. Southwest gale to storm force winds likely from about 0300h to 1200h in most exposed areas of west, south and some inland regions well exposed to the SW through W directions such as Limerick.

I expect there will be a reassessment from the 12z models so will leave this discussion for now until that new guidance becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Crapbiscuits. Still not recovered power after last Sunday. Onward & upward!

Met.ie :
    Saturday will be very windy or stormy with widespread heavy showers of rain, hail and sleet. Westerly winds will be strong to gale force with severe gusts of between 90 and 130 km/hr. The winds will be strongest in coastal counties of the southwest, west and north. The strong winds along with very high waves and high tides may cause coastal flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

The high tide is projected to be 5.9m in Galway at 05:51am
    Does anyone know how it was at the time of the last major flooding in early January? This could potentially be worse than the last time since its a very high tide.

From NWS Ocean Prediction Center
    The following sets of images highlight a rapidly intensifying low pressure across northeastern Atlantic. The first graphic contains a WV image from 0645Z, and the insert a portion of the 06Z OPC surface analysis. The low was analyzed to 986 mb, and is forecast to deepen to 946 mb by 06Z on Jan 31. The second image is GFS model output, valid at Feb 01 00Z, which centers a 939 mb low pressure just to the west-northwest of Ireland and the UK. Note the intense and expansive wind field, including areas of hurricane force (bright red), storm force (dark brown), and gale force (yellow) winds. The third image is WWIII output, also valid at Feb 01 00Z, showing the phenomenal significant wave heights generated west of Ireland (>54 feet).

1622189_638778522847549_857984248_n.png
    1514599_638778559514212_1156079522_n.png
    1604778_638778579514210_1196590321_n.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Maq is that wave height going to have much of an impact on the West Coast ??

Met Eireann just upgraded the storm

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Munster, Connacht and Donegal

An Atlantic storm depression will track to the northwet of the country later Friday night and Saturday.
    Southwest winds gusting 100 to 130 km/h, strongest across the Atlantic counties.
    Frequent heavy showers, some thundery with sleet and snow for a time mainly on higher ground.

High coastal flood risk too due to the combination of very high spring tides, extremely high waves (greater than 10 m), low pressure and onshore winds - southwest, west and northwest margins most at threat.
    Issued:
    Thursday 30 January 2014 10:00

Valid:
    Saturday 01 February 2014 00:01 to Sunday 02 February 2014 01:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭hawkwing

A storm,floods,sleet + possibly snow for some if only briefly now imminent,at this stage of the "winter" i am surprised there are not more comments on here as this could well be the main event of what is left for this year's winter. Saturday could be very entertaining on high ground..

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Maq is that wave height going to have much of an impact on the West Coast ??

Probably something similar to the previous coastal flooding earlier this winter. Might be less severe or perhaps a bit more severe, depends on timing and strength.

hawkwing wrote: »
    A storm,floods,sleet + possibly snow for some if only briefly now imminent,at this stage of the "winter" i am surprised there are not more comments on here as this could well be the main event of what is left for this year's winter. Saturday could be very entertaining on high ground..

The exact same thing hit me as well, I cant get over how quite it is given the new update and its likely to go Red.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,838 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

hawkwing wrote: »

Im not too surprised, the forum gets more excited over an event thats either new or rare, unfortunately the severe damage from the storms at the beginning of the month just has people more worried than excited about this weekend. Frankly I dont think the full cost economically and geographically of the new year storm period has been established, and yet the affected areas are about to get hammered again.

Fingers crossed for anyone in the danger zones that might have spent the last month cleaning up, I hope ye are spared another inundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Coastal flooding where defenses haven't been re-enforced since xmas is going to be a major issue. Wind wise I can't see anything crazy, some severe gusts on the West Coast alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

The shops and hotels in Salthill know all about it. Leisureland swimming pool will be closed for many months anyway. All the plumbing was damaged by sea water. Flood Street shops will expect the worst again too. Spiddal have put in a lot of clean up work but the structural repairs will need time and better weather. Galway people are tough though.

Latest GME places a very tight gradient over Ireland @ 48hrs (first model out)

At the end of the day, whether the low is deepening or filling is not really important, it is the pressure gradient that gives us the high winds.

gme-0-48.png?30-12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Hey guys, what effect do you think this will have on flights? Due to fly out of DUB on Sunday morning, about 10am or so. Will the worst be gone by then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

omnomnom.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Hey guys, what effect do you think this will have on flights? Due to fly out of DUB on Sunday morning, about 10am or so. Will the worst be gone by then?

Dublin airport will be fine Sunday morning. You'll fly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement