Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App developer

Options
  • 21-07-2018 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭

Need some to build an app, have an idea that just might make money!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

If you have a great idea, then explain exactly how much you are willing to pay the app developer. If you are not planning on paying said developer, then explain exactly how your app, rather than anyone else's app is going to print greenbacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭danbrosnan

bpmurray wrote: »
    ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

If you have a great idea, then explain exactly how much you are willing to pay the app developer. If you are not planning on paying said developer, then explain exactly how your app, rather than anyone else's app is going to print greenbacks.

Not gonna explain it in a public forum but trust me its a winner! If done right with the right developer it's a goldmine! Unfortunately I have no experience with code!

It's so simple it's frightening it's to do with payments online!

Actually, if it's good, not only should you talk about it, you should shout it from the rooftops. This is your usual common I-can't-do-it-so-I'll-try-to-scam-a-naive-developer thread, with nothing up front, with promises on things that actually 999 time out of 1000 have been done before, pure BS. If it's so good, go to the VCs and ask them for investment so you can hire developers and they'll be happy to help. Except they've all heard this story before too.

Actually, if it's good, not only should you talk about it, you should shout it from the rooftops. This is your usual common I-can't-do-it-so-I'll-try-to-scam-a-naive-developer thread, with nothing up front, with promises on things that actually 999 time out of 1000 have been done before, pure BS. If it's so good, go to the VCs and ask them for investment so you can hire developers and they'll be happy to help. Except they've all heard this story before too.

Don't agree with shouting from the rooftops at all and I am bringing something to the table! The idea..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I guarantee you, virtually every developer that's been working longer than 5 minutes has received identical pitches. What makes yours different? And btw, if it's both simple and brilliant, what's to stop any business with a better marketing budget than you setting up in the space 5 minutes after you launch? Facebook wasn't the first social media site, Google wasn't the first search engine, Apple didn't have the first smartphone, and Hailo wasn't the first taxi app

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    I guarantee you, virtually every developer that's been working longer than 5 minutes has received identical pitches. What makes yours different? And btw, if it's both simple and brilliant, what's to stop any business with a better marketing budget than you setting up in the space 5 minutes after you launch? Facebook wasn't the first social media site, Google wasn't the first search engine, Apple didn't have the first smartphone, and Hailo wasn't the first taxi app

Well let me put it this way I have spent the day trying to make a payment and although i have money I can't make the payment, my idea is to be able to make the payment I trying to make, it's very simple and it's a niche in the market and the problem is number one on google, it's simple and would solve a very simple problem..

Reality check: I have 40 years experience of software development and I have heard this story probably 1000's of times. If you really have something, get in bed with the investors early (you'll need them at some time anyway) and hire someone. Just going along with some random claim that you happen to think that you have the solution to life, the universe, and everything just sounds absurd. You say it's around payments: how may years have you worked in the payments industry? How much of the enormous stable of software for the payments industry are you actually familiar with? Do you really and truly have something new and unique? And, how on earth do you plan on making money from an app? Are you aware that those apps that actually make money do so from one of two things: advertising and add ons? I bet your plan doesn't even consider either of these.

My point really is that you don't know what you're doing and you're trying to get someone with the skills you lack to do the work for you to make money, and to do so for free,

Reality check: I have 40 years experience of software development and I have heard this story probably 1000's of times. If you really have something, get in bed with the investors early (you'll need them at some time anyway) and hire someone. Just going along with some random claim that you happen to think that you have the solution to life, the universe, and everything just sounds absurd. You say it's around payments: how may years have you worked in the payments industry? How much of the enormous stable of software for the payments industry are you actually familiar with? Do you really and truly have something new and unique? And, how on earth do you plan on making money from an app? Are you aware that those apps that actually make money do so from one of two things: advertising and add ons? I bet your plan doesn't even consider either of these.

My point really is that you don't know what you're doing and you're trying to get someone with the skills you lack to do the work for you to make money, and to do so for free,

Exactly that's why you need to hear my idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭28064212

danbrosnan wrote: »
    Well let me put it this way I have spent the day trying to make a payment and although i have money I can't make the payment, my idea is to be able to make the payment I trying to make, it's very simple and it's a niche in the market and the problem is number one on google, it's simple and would solve a very simple problem..
    Wow. All day, you say? You must have spent nearly three hours on a business plan so. Maybe two on a marketing strategy? Must have been nearly seven on market research. What did you do with the other twelve?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

OK, so you have the idea. I have the skills, I have the experience, I know the VCs, I can make it happen. I take 90% and you have 10%. How's that for a fair split?

• Advertisement

OK, so you have the idea. I have the skills, I have the experience, I know the VCs, I can make it happen. I take 90% and you have 10%. How's that for a fair split?

All the skills in the world mean nothing without an idea! Just pm'd you!

28064212 wrote: »
    Wow. All day, you say? You must have spent nearly three hours on a business plan so. Maybe two on a marketing strategy? Must have been nearly seven on market research. What did you do with the other twelve?

I'm a kinda sick from last night and I ran 12 miles yesterday and hiked to a hilltop in the middle of the run so most of today was trying to figure out how to get a takeaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

If you don't think this solution is already out there despite the number of payment firms/apps and the budgets they have, well then I bet the problem you had is not as widespread as you think.

Wheety wrote: »
    If you don't think this solution is already out there despite the number of payment firms/apps and the budgets they have, well then I bet the problem you had is not as widespread as you think.

Well it isn't out there and it's quite widespread all you need to do is type the problem into google or even on here and there is countless others going through the exact same thing..

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭DefinitelyMarc

These kinds of threads are against this forums charter because everyone thinks their idea is a unique goldmine that must be kept a guarded secret at all costs.

If you want some real advice: go learn how to code, implement an MVP, then come back here and ask for a critique.

These kinds of threads are against this forums charter because everyone thinks their idea is a unique goldmine that must be kept a guarded secret at all costs.

If you want some real advice: go learn how to code, implement an MVP, then come back here and ask for a critique.

It would be a very simple service that would allow the customer to buy something using there paypal! For example did you know that paypal is almost useless in ireland even if you have money in your paypal account?

For example if you want to buy a take away, even if you have a million euro in your paypal account it's useless to you! Offer a service that allows you to pay for your take way while charging a commission to do so!

I sell online and this has happened to me on a few occasions! I have no funds on my debit card but I do on me paypal account! It takes anything up to two days for funds to transfer from your paypal account into your bank account!

Anyway that's the idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

so its an online payments portal service?

so its an online payments portal service?

I suppose you could call it that, just look at the take away business! How many people out there have money in there paypal accounts but can't use them? It's just a very real problem for myself as I sell online!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Before going any further with your idea I'd suggest researching these companies just to see if they do what you're proposing.
    Before you go looking for a developer they could be worth a look

Before going any further with your idea I'd suggest researching these companies just to see if they do what you're proposing.
    Before you go looking for a developer they could be worth a look

I am aware of them companies but none of them alow me to order a take away using my paypal account!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I am aware of them companies but none of them alow me to order a take away using my paypal account!

What if Just Eat adds PP as a payment option?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

It would be a very simple service that would allow the customer to buy something using there paypal! For example did you know that paypal is almost useless in ireland even if you have money in your paypal account?

For example if you want to buy a take away, even if you have a million euro in your paypal account it's useless to you! Offer a service that allows you to pay for your take way while charging a commission to do so!

I sell online and this has happened to me on a few occasions! I have no funds on my debit card but I do on me paypal account! It takes anything up to two days for funds to transfer from your paypal account into your bank account!

Anyway that's the idea!

This is not a new idea. Look up 'virtual debit card' or 'one-time use debit card'. Actually PayPal used to offer this, but they discontinued it. That's not to say there is not an opportunity here, but you should research the issues involved, it's not as straightforward as you think.

EDIT: If you have funds in your PayPal account, but not on in your bank/debit card/credit card (because you got paid into there for some goods or something) you can use PayPal's pre-paid card, and transfer cash to that https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/paypal-transfers.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Why would I want to order takeaway with my PayPal account?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

verycool wrote: »

If you sell online, you'll have money coming into your PayPal account and it can take a day or two to transfer to your bank for spending locally.

verycool wrote: »

Because I deal in paypal all the time just like milions of other people! If you an ebay seller or sell online then using paypal is so hassle free and it takes sometimes up to 48 hours for payments to go through to your bank, also banks are closed two days of the week so it leaves people who use paypal kinda waiting a lot for money to clear

If you sell online, you'll have money coming into your PayPal account and it can take a day or two to transfer to your bank for spending locally.

Thanks Kenny do you understand what I mean?

This is not a new idea. Look up 'virtual debit card' or 'one-time use debit card'. Actually PayPal used to offer this, but they discontinued it. That's not to say there is not an opportunity here, but you should research the issues involved, it's not as straightforward as you think.

EDIT: If you have funds in your PayPal account, but not on in your bank/debit card/credit card (because you got paid into there for some goods or something) you can use PayPal's pre-paid card, and transfer cash to that https://www.paypal-prepaid.com/paypal-transfers.shtml

As far as I know that is only in the states I believe that if you have money in your paypal account you should be able to order food or anything straight from that account! It might not be straight forward but it's a service that needs to be created and it's a no brainer it would be successful

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It's a decent idea but I think it would be a small enough market seeing as we have so many other ways of paying.

But your problem will be, if this does become popular, is that PayPal could probably implement something in a few days and do it themselves.

Do you know the technical requirements of your app? Or do you just hope a developer can do it all. Will PayPal allow this app? Will they be taking a cut as well as you taking a cut?

Wheety wrote: »
    It's a decent idea but I think it would be a small enough market seeing as we have so many other ways of paying.

But your problem will be, if this does become popular, is that PayPal could probably implement something in a few days and do it themselves.

Do you know the technical requirements of your app? Or do you just hope a developer can do it all. Will PayPal allow this app? Will they be taking a cut as well as you taking a cut?

I think paypal would have all this sorted but it's not them that are the problem, it's the shops and take aways and the business people that want cash or debit cards were it's instant cash, I for one would have no problem paying a fee to a service to use my paypal, look this is just a problem that I have come across because of my own experience, a developer has contacted me on here and we go from there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I think paypal would have all this sorted but it's not them that are the problem, it's the shops and take aways and the business people that want cash or debit cards were it's instant cash, I for one would have no problem paying a fee to a service to use my paypal, look this is just a problem that I have come across because of my own experience, a developer has contacted me on here and we go from there!

Paypal already provides the code to include paypal in your website for free you just need to choose to do it. Any business could also accept paypal payments using a pc or smartphone.

So you need to have something that is more convenient than the customer typing in the company email address.

An experienced app developer will probably cost you 60k-80k+ per year, and an app developer for both Android and iPhone will probably want 100k+ per year.

There's also the material cost, hardware for development, most developers don't want to work on a POS pc so you probably need 2k for something decent, and you need phones with every different os version for testing, that means probably at least 5 iphones and 10 Androids.

So how much cash do you have that you're willing to put up?

Advertisement