Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann Recruitment

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

This post has been deleted.

Why not try Go-Ahead Dublin,if you're in the Dublin region ?

https://www.go-aheaddublin.ie/careers/bus-driver/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Ye its hard to know what most are offering though as they dont disclose information until u send a cv or contact them
    Was the opposite for me,done the trucks first and seen how bad they were unless you knew somebody,found it was all a click,15 hour days for day rates
    Only recently got the coach licence and done a few runs for a few diferent fellas at it
    I taugt having the artic licence might go for me looking for bus eireann
    Obviously not ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Didn't think it was apprentices that they were looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

If you are looking at privates I'd say Go-ahead might be the best bet obviously not as good as BE or DB but since they'll be operating PSO routes you're wages, overtime and conditions may be a little bit better than privates which are non-PSO.

After Go-Ahead take up the routes it wouldn't surprise if DB will be hiring again in the new year as I'd say they'd be looking what's needed once GA take up the soon to be ex DB routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Word has it the Go Ahead money is poor though?

30k approx

So about 480 a week after tax for 40 hours i guess
    Around 14.50 an hour with tax around 12

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Attitude can play a big part when a prospective employer assesses an applicant.

For example,most large Bus & Coach operators now regard possession of the D licence as somewhat less of an issue than having a ability to interact and respond to people,when in different pressurized situations.

Driving can be taught,whereas socialization and the ability to be resilient and understanding is often a very difficult element for many to master.

If a reported basic wage of "up to" €32,000 PA ,along with elements like a Pension Scheme is below your own expectations,then simply don't apply and move on to the next best thing.

While there is indeed a shortage of qualified Busdrivers,it can not be inferred that this will mean Operators feel the need to lower their own recruitment standards as a response.

Keep it lit and press on regardless.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Word has it the Go Ahead money is poor though?

32k a year sounds ok for a private operator as I said it might be the best private bus company pay wise compared to BE/DB

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 19 steevem23

Hey bud, try again ina few months i would say. i got up to interview and assesment and was turned down, yet i have some experience about a year .. so i dont know what they are looking for .. it could be like someone said ..a friendly attitude.. lovely smile and **** haha .. peace

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I would say Aircoach and Go-Ahead are your best bet, Aircoach are said to be the best payers out of the private operators who are currently recruiting, although apparently it's a sliding scale that increases with service.

yes Aircoach would be the best in the private sector, be warned though they will put you on the bendy bus for at least 6 months before they would let you drive the blue coach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

BE are recruiting internally . On the CIE jobs notice board at work. Jobs are in the west though.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭clunked

brokenarms wrote: »
    BE are recruiting internally . On the CIE jobs notice board at work. Jobs are in the west though.
    May I ask where in the West?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

TBH, at 26 I would advise you to rethink your choice of career. There are so many options available.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Pelvis wrote: »
    TBH, at 26 I would advise you to rethink your choice of career. There are so many options available.

As a current BÉ employee at this age, I second this opinion.

Unless you have a hard on to drive a bus just for the love of it and take abuse from a lot of people, find a different career path. If it means going to college etc then I'd be doing that rather than this job.

• Advertisement

steevem23 wrote: »
    Hey bud, try again ina few months i would say. i got up to interview and assesment and was turned down, yet i have some experience about a year .. so i dont know what they are looking for .. it could be like someone said ..a friendly attitude.. lovely smile and **** haha .. peace

How was the driving assessment if you don't mind me asking,what was involved? Waiting to hear back after apptitude test myself,have also been reconsidering a change of direction in career,fed up with lorries and buses,too much hassle and stress,would not mind going back to college but unsure of what direction to go in

firstlight wrote: »
    How was the driving assessment if you don't mind me asking,what was involved? Waiting to hear back after apptitude test myself,have also been reconsidering a change of direction in career,fed up with lorries and buses,too much hassle and stress,would not mind going back to college but unsure of what direction to go in

Honestly if you can do something else do it.

It's not a healthy job for the head or body.

Honestly if you can do something else do it.

It's not a healthy job for the head or body.

Thanks for the feedback,good to know what it's like,to be honest I don't deal with stress well and that was sort of ok in a truck but a different story with buses,don't think personally I have the head for it

Have been looking in other areas for work but only phone calls are for trucks
    13/14 hour days for 100/120 before tax

Thanks for the feedback,good to know what it's like,to be honest I don't deal with stress well and that was sort of ok in a truck but a different story with buses,don't think personally I have the head for it

Have been looking in other areas for work but only phone calls are for trucks
    13/14 hour days for 100/120 before tax

Trucking is ridiculously under waged.

Crazy paying buttons for such responsibility and hard work at that.

I'll agree bus driving isn't as labour intense but it's a stressful job whether you are easy going or not and you will be dealing with absolutely the dumbest of dumbest dumb twats it can at times be very trying.

I wish I had tried something else to be honest.

Trucking is ridiculously under waged.

Crazy paying buttons for such responsibility and hard work at that.

I'll agree bus driving isn't as labour intense but it's a stressful job whether you are easy going or not and you will be dealing with absolutely the dumbest of dumbest dumb twats it can at times be very trying.

I wish I had tried something else to be honest.

100% agree with you on the trucking

I am going to look elsewhere alright and keep the licences up to date anyway

If things ever do pick up its good to know their ready to go

Thanks for the advise

100% agree with you on the trucking

I am going to look elsewhere alright and keep the licences up to date anyway

If things ever do pick up its good to know their ready to go

Thanks for the advise

Best of luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Carole20060

Hi my husband had aptitude and interview with bus eireann he was told he would hear in 3 weeks it's been four weeks and nothing but he did hear some where taken in for training does this mean he hasn't been successful? He has loads of experience and interview went really well as did aptitude. Should he assume he hasn't got it or will they write and let him know either way? I would have assumed a company that big would let you know if you weren't successful.

If he hasn't been successful, they would send him a letter letting him know that's the end ..that's it. Hope that helps. Or you can get in touch with her .

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Have my interview and driving assessment on sat.. Anyone have any experience with it.. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭gbob

tuborg_man wrote: »
    Have my interview and driving assessment on sat.. Anyone have any experience with it.. Thanks

Best of luck with it, personally I won't recommend working for BusEireann as the current working conditions are horrendous. I understand needs must be met and all but I'd sooner do anything else.

Advertisement