Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to all the Abrakebabra franchises?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I used to work in westmoreland St in the 90's. Was a miracle getting out alive after a night shift between knives and drug dealers. Regularly had the drug kingpins in for a kebab.

Donny Brook is still there.

Had a brother who variously worked in the old one on o connell st and the one at the bridge on westmorland street. God I was shocked when they tore the kitchen out for the centra or whatever is there now. The kitchen was tiny about the size of one of those street carts.

Still a drug dealing blackspot. Now just at the doorway of the newsagents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Realistically, the franchise model isn't stricked enough and quality control suffers. And there doesn't seem to be any effort made to increase daytime trade so staff motivation is on the floor simply because they only attract the late night piss heads.
    Remember Des Bishop did a show a while back and he worked a few nights in an Abra, wasn't it? Said he couldn't believe seeing totally uneaten €5 plus kebabs dumped in the gutter outside the shop. Almost an hour's wages he said, just slung on the ground.
    Would drive you mental I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Venus In Furs

Went to one in Cork last weekend and found the chips and taco I got pretty tasty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I like their doner kebabs & mexican tacos, especially the €3 daily deal from 12.00-20.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

The first Abrakebabras opened in Upper Baggot Street and Rathmines at the same time I started to go to pubs in the early eighties.

Few things other than the love of a good woman are as sweet as a dirty big taco or doner kebab after a feed of Smithwicks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

TaosHum wrote: »
    Still in Carlow & Kilkenny

The one in Carlow has always been really good. For some reason it's well above the usual standard you get in most of them. Some of the Abrakebabras in Dublin are horrific. Especially the attempts at Taco Fries
    Then again Supermacs in Carlow is rotten and is where most trouble in that town happens while most supermacs in Dublin are pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭RobYourBuilder

Flicked me header: this current situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Stevecw wrote: »
    The one in Carlow has always been really good. For some reason it's well above the usual standard you get in most of them. Some of the Abrakebabras in Dublin are horrific. Especially the attempts at Taco Fries
    Then again Supermacs in Carlow is rotten and is where most trouble in that town happens while most supermacs in Dublin are pretty decent.

Sure I thought supermacs was meant to be better down the country than in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Abrakebabra is the ryanair of the fast-food industry.

Massively successful and expanding year on year even in the middle of a recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭The other fella

The one in cork does frightening business on a saturday night when everyones leaving the clubs and pubs.

The urban rumour of the Chinese guy who was working there was caught using his own "home-made mayonnaise" instead of real mayonnaise turned me off it for life.

Also, the vicious assaults that happen there every weekend is a deterrent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Never impressed, to be honest. Even for fast food, I thought that they were pretty bad. That said, I had American friends over not so long ago and they were raving about the Abrakebabra in Temple Bar. Brought one home with them any night that they ended up in town.

Iskanders and Zaytoon are pretty alright here. Got chips, a lamb kebab and a tin of orange for €9 one lunchtime not too long back.

The kebabs here in Ireland pale in comparison to those you can get in continental Europe. My ma lives nearby a lovely little Italian family owned pizzeria. Not a chain. I was in there over the summer after a Dublin game, hemming and hawwing, when the girl told us that their kebabs are good and that they make their own pitta. Their ingredients are pretty fresh, for an Irish pizzeria, so I thought I was onto a winner.

They then served it with this cold, pinkish gloop that was masquerading as chilli sauce. So close!

Wait , just hold on a minute .......did you just Say a "tin of orange " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

syklops wrote: »
    There's always one.

It was shite food, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

cloud493 wrote: »
    Sure I thought supermacs was meant to be better down the country than in Dublin

It is in every other country town I've been to. Carlow is weird like that, Supermacs is at the wrong end of town. Abrakebabra in Carlow is class, no idea why but, best Taco fries ever are in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Remember I was in Waterford City couple of years ago. Missed the last bus home to Clonmel. Talking to a girl in Masons who was trying her best to pick up someone. I had a girlfriend in Dunmore East at the time hence why I turned down her offer and I don't cheat anyway I asked her if I could stay at hers thinking she had a sofa she said yeah sure. She pops in to Abrakebabra murders a kebab in there then brings me back to hers which she shared with like 5 other people place smelt of urine cannabis and cider. Sharing a single bed with her and during the morning she threw up on me and all over my jeans. 9am that morning having to wear those clothes through the town which smelled of her place and having to go into Dunnes Stores to buy new Jeans and a hoodie. Kind of food that comes up with drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Tralee outlet still there too. I, weirdly, like their food too, but then again, probably have never been sober while eating there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Like most I've never been sober and it was grand for a drunk guy but I also have seemingly only gone to safe ones as I've not seen or heard of assaults there, always thought that was the place of a chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

When my wife came to Ireland for the first time (she's German), the tourist guide warned a bull full of tourists not to go near Abrakebabra less they get whoeful diarrhea... Over the bus speaker.. That's just how grand their rep is :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I wasn't aware that Abrakestabra was in decline but is it something to be lamented?

I think the Blanchardstown one is still there. It was the very first fast food chain to open in Dublin 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

Yeah I think it is

I think it is (still in Phibsboro). I think there's one in Naas still too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

markmacken wrote: »
    I think it is (still in Phibsboro). I think there's one in Naas still too.
    The Abrakebabra in Phibsboro saw many a fine punch up back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I'm not a man to turn up his nose at a kebab but the kebabs in abra are of such low low quality that there can be no excuse for eating one unless there is literally nowhere else open and in that case I would go for the taco fries.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

I'm not a man to turn up his nose at a kebab but the kebabs in abra are of such low low quality that there can be no excuse for eating one unless there is literally nowhere else open and in that case I would go for the taco fries.

Last time i had a Kebab in the Phibsborough one (maybe 5 years ago ?) ,they put loads of sauce on ,to give it some taste i presume.It left a bad after taste .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,281 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If you have your heart set on a kebab in Dublin Iskanders and Zaytoon make Abra look embarrassingly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

kowloon wrote: »
    If you have your heart set on a kebab in Dublin Iskanders and Zaytoon make Abra look embarrassingly bad.

Zaytoon ,is my all time favorite for a Kebab in Dublin .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I have only ever eaten two kebabs in my life. One in Abrakebabra Templemore and the other in Marios Thurles. Both were nice and filling.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

I worked in a chipper across from abra back in the 90's. One evening they got closed down because one guy bit into another guys nose. Suddenly we had a massive cue of punters, lining up for food, but come 2am sharp the owner closed the shutter and they had to go home hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

tadcan wrote: »
    I worked in a chipper across from abra back in the 90's. One evening they got closed down because one guy bit into another guys nose. Suddenly we had a massive cue of punters, lining up for food, but come 2am sharp the owner closed the shutter and they had to go home hungry.

Know how you feel. I used to work in fast food down in Temple Bar. The later it got, the more chance you had of being over run by snarling booze hounds. The manager would nearly have to beat the ****ers back from the door at closing time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

qt3.14 wrote: »
    Massively successful and expanding year on year even in the middle of a recession?

Calm down Michael

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭Aubrey loves Joe

I must say " I'm partial to your abracadabra
    I'm raptured by the joy of it all".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

tadcan wrote: »
    One evening they got closed down because one guy bit into another guys nose.

Jesus I knew the ingredients in their kebabs were dodgy but that's still fairly shocking.

Advertisement