Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened to all the Abrakebabra franchises?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The last Abcab Doner Kebab I ever had. Brought it home after a night on the beer. Slapped it on a plate and for the very first time saw what was actually inside.

BEWARE!

Doner Kebab Exposed.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I've eaten Shirako in Japan, Muktuk in Greenland, Hakarl in Iceland, Lutefisk in Norway, Capybara in Brazil, Cuy in Peru & Trung Vit Long in Vietnam.

Abrakebabera, not a bother :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I've eaten Shirako in Japan, Muktuk in Greenland, Hakarl in Iceland, Lutefisk in Norway, Capybara in Brazil, Cuy in Peru & Trung Vit Long in Vietnam.

Thinly veiled "I've been out of the parish" post.

Grandeeod wrote: »
    The last Abcab Doner Kebab I ever had. Brought it home after a night on the beer. Slapped it on a plate and for the very first time saw what was actually inside.

BEWARE!

Doner Kebab Exposed.jpg

Plate? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I have… seen things you people wouldn't believe… Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those… moments… will be lost in time, like tears… in… rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

You must have also eaten Kangaroo ,to go hopping about like that .lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Had a fish and chips a long time ago, ended up having to call a doctor to my house because I couldn't get out of bed I was that ill.

I would have sued them but for the fact I was bringing somebody else to court already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Abrakebabra is the sort of place you go to eat where everywhere else is closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

syklops wrote: »
    Plate? :confused:

Yeah, a plate. Didn't fancy sitting with the usual crew. Pitta bread or whatever they call it was hard and the plate experience afforded me the opportunity to finally see for myself that the thing is **** personified.

It kind of set me free and I'm glad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I can still taste the hard bits from the doner kebab I had there years ago

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Still open in Carlow.

.....Yay?!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭markmacken

Still open in Drumcondra too. Though I walked right past it earlier and went to a new place in Drumcondra the other side of the Tolka - kind of opposite Fagan's. It's a general take-away (pizza to kebabs and everything in between). I had a kebab earlier because they're on special on Wednesdays until 8pm: only €3.50. Have to say, it was a tasty and substantial kebab, and really hit the spot. Even at its regular price of €5 it would have been much better than anything I could have got in the Drumcondra Abrakebabra!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/work/eat-awards-former-abrakebabra-employees-12-500-1.2056821
    Three former Abrakebabra employees are set to receive an estimated €12,500 following termination of their employment by one of the chain’s Tipperary franchises in 2013.
    Iryna and Igor Yurevych of Thurles, Co Tipperary had been employed by the fast food restaurant, owned by Samantha McElligott, for nine years between 2004 and 2013, while their colleague Lina Karkaziene worked for the company for five years until 2013.
    The ruling, made following an Employment Appeals Tribunal sitting in Thurles last November, found all three were entitled to redundancy payments based on a 24-hour part-time working week, plus €230 each in holiday pay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 423 ✭✭The Bould Rabbit

The Abrakebabra in Moate became the Irish Midlands regional Bureau for Reuters News agency for a while. After that the building was used as a depot for the distribution of iodine tablets while they were all the rage. Following that it became the official Moate residence of Işanguly Nuryýew, the deputy first assistant to the ambassador of Turkmenistan to the UK and Ireland.

Following that the building remained vacant for a short while before it was leased out to the international coffee chain, Starbucks. However they were forced to close resulting in the loss of 97 jobs due to a campaign by locals who claimed that Moate high street was swamped with anonymous chain shops and eateries with no character, with many maintaining that the town was in danger of resembling downtown Dallas or Birmingham. The Abrakebabra shop is now Jackie's Hair Salon.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭tadcan

Jesus I knew the ingredients in their kebabs were dodgy but that's still fairly shocking.

At our place a customer asked for a nose burger, hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SuperS54 wrote: »
    Just remembered, on one occasion I went to Abrakebabra sober in the afternoon, all looking forward to my lovely chicken and garlic feast ~ it was absolute muck, couldn't finish it. I think they've died out because there's less drinking out being done.

I always had a theory that stabra's only served muck during the daytime, their gourmet efforts were reserved for us connoisseurs of taste and discernment who rolled into the place at 3 am looking for taco chips.

It's the only logical explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

The Abrakebabra in Moate became the Irish Midlands regional Bureau for Reuters News agency for a while. After that the building was used as a depot for the distribution of iodine tablets while they were all the rage. Following that it became the official Moate residence of Işanguly Nuryýew, the deputy first assistant to the ambassador of Turkmenistan to the UK and Ireland.

Following that the building remained vacant for a short while before it was leased out to the international coffee chain, Starbucks. However they were forced to close resulting in the loss of 97 jobs due to a campaign by locals who claimed that Moate high street was swamped with anonymous chain shops and eateries with no character, with many maintaining that the town was in danger of resembling downtown Dallas or Birmingham. The Abrakebabra shop is now Jackie's Hair Salon.

The best hair salon this side of the water ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Still open in Carlow.

.....Yay?!

Shamrock beats it hands down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭cena

There is one in the food court of Liffey valley

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

ebbsy wrote: »
    I would have sued them but for the fact I was bringing somebody else to court already.
    Does the court only sit once a year or what?!?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Had the pleasure of working in westmoreland St in the early 90's. Had my fair share of drug dealers, prostitutes, knife attacks and general scum bags come through the doors.

The only thing was that the food served during the day was the same crap at night.
    We used to look forward or going to a place in Bolton St for breakfast at 6am for some real food.
    I think there is one in the square as well, where dunkin donuts was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭yipeeeee

Love it, food snobs I have no time for.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭mister gullible

Of all the fast food joints in all the world that I have been in, Abrekebabra in Donnybrook had the filthiest toilet. Never went back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

yipeeeee wrote: »
    Love it, food snobs I have no time for.

I think you might be setting the bar for food snobbery a little low there.

I think you might be setting the bar for food snobbery a little low there.
    I don't get every second poster claiming (not entirely convincingly) they got food poisoning there though. I reckon I've had upwards of 50 Abras over the years, including microwaved kebab the following afternoon, and never a problem.
    Are yiz all just wussies or blaming the kebab for the 12 pints that preceded it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I don't get every second poster claiming (not entirely convincingly) they got food poisoning there though. I reckon I've had upwards of 50 Abras over the years, including microwaved kebab the following afternoon, and never a problem.
    Are yiz all just wussies or blaming the kebab for the 12 pints that preceded it?

I had one last night and my stomach hurts worse from that then any hangover I can remember

• Registered Users Posts: 10,828 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Meh, I've been known to eat the odd abra. Never got sick, but objectively it's obviously rotten.

Wussies it is then!

+1. Also had easily that number or more over the years. I never microwaved them but regularly polished them off the following morning. Not once felt any ill effects, that also couldn't be attributed to the gallon of Guinness I also had. There must be some very delicate tummies out there in Boards-land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

The one on O Connell street in Limerick was genuinely nice with great staff. Not sure if it is still there.

But I would actively avoid Abra everywhere else.

Advertisement