Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl - recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭posy2010

Ryath wrote: »
    Had the Garlic Doughball Christmas Tree last night! Really good. Best shop bought doughballs I've had, light and fluffy

Do you mind me asking whereabouts in shop this is?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

The chilled specials section in my one. Went in last night for a few bits and couldn't find them again unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Got mandarin cheesecakes , Lidl deluxe . They are two small ones .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,413 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Baggly wrote: »
    The chilled specials section in my one. Went in last night for a few bits and couldn't find them again unfortunately.

They had a similar item last year, a doughball wreath with cranberry sauce and cheese. I searched every Lidl within about a 10k radius of my house for it from the day it came out, with no success. They're either *extremely* limited stock or people load up on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

deleted - meant to post in Aldi thread - sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,882 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone noticed a bizarre bourbon cream shortage in Lidl for the last few weeks or months? They're always out of stock, then when they occasionally get a box its gone in a day.

I see the same thing with the salt and vinegar pringles ripoffs, its actually the same in Aldi, they're impossible to get for ages now, if somethings popular why not order more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

Thargor wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed a bizarre bourbon cream shortage in Lidl for the last few weeks or months? They're always out of stock, then when they occasionally get a box its gone in a day.

I see the same thing with the salt and vinegar pringles ripoffs, its actually the same in Aldi, they're impossible to get for ages now, if somethings popular why not order more?
    Generally what happens is that they **** over their supplier who then decides not to supply them.
    They then have to find a new supplier at the price they require, that’s why popular items disappear all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Generally what happens is that they **** over their supplier who then decides not to supply them.
    They then have to find a new supplier at the price they require, that’s why popular items disappear all the time.

The German retailers aren't really known for that kind of behaviour.
    I can speak personally about Aldi in this regard and I'm lead to believe that Lidl treat their suppliers in a similar fashion.

Found identical bourbons for 36c a pack in Tesco anyway so Im well stocked now thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

yellow hen wrote: »
    The almond and dark chocolate bar that's on special at the minute is gorgeous. Calorie and fat content is high so don't be fooling yourself that you're eating anything particularly healthy. It was yum though. And plenty big.

Went looking for this in the chocolate section and the Xmas food section and no luck :-( Do you have a picture? Could only see a Milk one (pinky red packaging I think)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Went looking for this in the chocolate section and the Xmas food section and no luck :-( Do you have a picture? Could only see a Milk one (pinky red packaging I think)

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/grocery-range-gluten-free/deluxe-gluten-free-almomd-sea-salt-dark-chocolate/p20336 Our lidl has just been remodelled so I've no idea what it was shelved near.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

yellow hen wrote: »
    https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/grocery-range-gluten-free/deluxe-gluten-free-almomd-sea-salt-dark-chocolate/p20336 Our lidl has just been remodelled so I've no idea what it was shelved near.

Oh great - thanks! Sorry, I thought you mean a chocolate bar! They are lovely alright (too nice tbh!).

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AhhHere

What bread to people recommend? I've tried a few and most are disappointing. Preferably something I can freeze and heat in toaster later.

AhhHere wrote: »
    What bread to people recommend? I've tried a few and most are disappointing. Preferably something I can freeze and heat in toaster later.

I like the country loaf, the ancient grains, multi seed and the white sourdough cob.
    But I've no idea what kind of bread you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

AhhHere wrote: »
    I love their Italian-style rolls, can't remember what they're actually called but they're rectangular and long - like the paninis but without the stripes!

They're excellent for sambos, and make for lovely toast with marmalade, they have a slightly sour (maybe a touch of olive oil?) taste to them which makes for a lovely mix!

Also their sourdough rolls (actual round bread rolls) if they're still doing them used to be lovely.

I also have a serious weakness for the cheese & onion rolls, but have to ration myself, I'd say you might as well just eat off the pound of butter with a spoon....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I find the sourdough roll significantly better than the sourdough cob which only seems to have a slight taste of sourdough to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

These are nice, peel on crisps but couldn't eat a whole packet.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/christmas-sides-snacks-cheeses/hand-cooked-crisps/p54470

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

These are nice, peel on crisps but couldn't eat a whole packet.

https://www.lidl.ie/en/p/christmas-sides-snacks-cheeses/hand-cooked-crisps/p54470

I’d try tbh.. anything sea salt n vineagar is yummy to me

Lisha wrote: »
    I’d try tbh.. anything sea salt n vineagar is yummy to me

I couldn't find the vinegar ones so I got the sea salt and black pepper. They are quite peppery. I would have preferred the balsamic ones. They are nice though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I really liked the mature cheddar truckles.

• Advertisement

The confit duck legs are on offer with the app.
    Are they worth a try?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    The confit duck legs are on offer with the app.
    Are they worth a try?

Yes lovely, they are from the Silver Hill producers who are the main brand in Ireland but sometimes they can be a bit on the small side.
    They just need 30-35 minutes in oven to finish off.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Yes lovely, they are from the Silver Hill producers who are the main brand in Ireland but sometimes they can be a bit on the small side.
    They just need 30-35 minutes in oven to finish off.

Thanks!

Could I pan fry them?
    My oven is a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,290 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thanks!
    Could I pan fry them?
    My oven is a disaster.

Even though they are partly pre-cooked, a lot of fat comes out of them, have only ever seen recipes where they are finished in the oven I'm afraid. Think could be v messy on a pan.

The duck breasts would be more suitable for pan fry, keep an eye out for them on the app in case they pop up in future.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I couldn't find the vinegar ones so I got the sea salt and black pepper. They are quite peppery. I would have preferred the balsamic ones. They are nice though.

I thought these were way too peppery too.

Thanks!

Could I pan fry them?
    My oven is a disaster.

I love these.
    I always do them in the oven but I think you could do them in a pan, skin side down, covered on a lowish heat. You just want to crisp the skin and heat them through. Yes, quite a lot of fat will come out of them - just drain them well.

You could do them under a grill, too, I reckon.

Note, I haven't tried this.

While I love these and they are really good value, sometimes they are much better than others. It seems like they cut down on the cooking time, sometimes, and they aren't as well "fall off the bone" cooked. (Not a safety issue - they are always cooked through, just sometimes not as soft)

Lisha wrote: »
    I thought these were way too peppery too.

Could you find the Balsamic flavour one at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

These are lovely pizza bases - never bothered with these type of bases before but very impressed.

Pizza obviously not as good as from a pizza place but better than the fresh deli ones.

I grated part of a block of mozzarella from Dunnes (€1.50) and ½ can of Mutti Sauce (€2.15 for 2 Tesco).

€1.99 for the 2 bases - and 494 calories each.

8PqQJyi.jpeg

CI33fkp.png

Those frozen cod fishcakes we got in the app a while back are foul, they taste like pine scent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Got some Haloumi fries in Lidl. Way nicer than the Aldi ones.

Advertisement