Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who'd live in a house like this? Part 2

Comments

My lovely fridge!

[Fr Ted reference]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I wonder what sort of humming noise it makes

-=al=- wrote: »
    I wonder what sort of humming noise it makes
    I don't know, but my freezer sometimes sounds like Darth Vader taking a dump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I cried laughing at this post last night! Brilliant.

It also reminded me of a post from way back where an owner occupier was renting out a room, in an apartment, somewhere around Dublin.

There was a library, and all sorts... a book or two. And a 'balcony' or something.

And the lucky person was just about allowed to use the bedroom that they were expected to pay a lot of money for.

That one was in Lucan.
    If you want to have a walk down memory lane.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

inforfun wrote: »
    That one was in Lucan.
    If you want to have a walk down memory lane.

Thanks, there was a great discussion about it at the time, I've just reread it. Very funny comments :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

That house in Rathkeale even comes with a tank for your oil. They’ve even nicely moved your oil into it beforehand for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Did we have this one before? I recall a house with mannequins in it recently. Pics 11-17

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3695-Primrose-Rd-South-Lake-Tahoe-CA-96150/195374618_zpid/?

1de65fdb022298b70f72d1ba9e870f25-uncropped_scaled_within_1344_1008.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

That house in Rathkeale even comes with a tank for your oil. They’ve even nicely moved your oil into it beforehand for you.

Wouldn't rule out them moving it out again either :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The Nal wrote: »

Depressingly I'd say that price is indeed correct. Extremely desirable location..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You'd want to be off your fookin rocker to pay that for it.

Property price register says that number 55 on that road went for €255k back in May 2019.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

BattleCorp wrote: »
    You'd want to be off your fookin rocker to pay that for it.

Property price register says that number 55 on that road went for €255k back in May 2019.

Number 55 is an end of terrace with a stamp sized garden. I'm afraid the house will go for the money they are asking. As mentioned before, it's a desirable location. Having said that I would be put off by the close vicinity of 2 Secondary schools and the chaos they bring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Number 55 is an end of terrace with a stamp sized garden. I'm afraid the house will go for the money they are asking. As mentioned before, it's a desirable location. Having said that I would be put off by the close vicinity of 2 Secondary schools and the chaos they bring.

It just might, and whoever pays it will be off their rocker.

Galway and Salthill are beautiful places but 600k for that is off the scale in all fairness.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

2nd photo shows 4 modern units built on the adjacent property.
    I'd imagine €600k is developer pricing.
    They didn't need to bother with any photos of the inside, it'll be knocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Looks like somebody ran out of money.
    I certainly would change the front door.

fb6695cc-de28-4de9-bb09-cafb0ae55eff_x.jpg
    87f2ef41-4a91-4e42-bdb4-e39e29e903e7_x.jpg
    51879b06-0718-4628-92c3-8b68fb0f1dcf_x.jpg

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/kilkeeran-house-only-ballinrobe-mayo/4363158

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭PommieBast

josip wrote: »
    2nd photo shows 4 modern units built on the adjacent property.
    I'd imagine €600k is developer pricing.
    They didn't need to bother with any photos of the inside, it'll be knocked.
    Has to be pretty bad to have central heating and still have a 'G' rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

fb6695cc-de28-4de9-bb09-cafb0ae55eff_x.jpg
    87f2ef41-4a91-4e42-bdb4-e39e29e903e7_x.jpg
    51879b06-0718-4628-92c3-8b68fb0f1dcf_x.jpg

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/kilkeeran-house-only-ballinrobe-mayo/4363158

There are 4/5 houses like that around here that were never finished and have never been put up for sale
    Huge monstrosities of houses

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

That house is depressing looking, 'incomplete'...it definitely sounds and looks like they ran out of money.

That house is depressing looking, 'incomplete'...it definitely sounds and looks like they ran out of money.
    It bears all the hallmarks of a Celtic Tiger build that was abandoned in the banking crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It looks like something out of the Blair witch project

• Advertisement

It bears all the hallmarks of a Celtic Tiger build that was abandoned in the banking crisis.

Are the photos recent? I imagine if they are it's a more recent build than 10 years ago.

The house looks to be 80 to 90% complete. Must be galling to give up on it and sell for a fraction of the cost they put into it.

This is rapidly turning into my favourite thread on Boards. What that says about me is another matter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

So its 'only' been sitting empty for the last decade or so.
    And they have either used really old photos for the first 4, or touched it up with paint recently to cover the pink crap, but didnt bother getting the lad with the drone back to take new photos.

Are the photos recent? I imagine if they are it's a more recent build than 10 years ago.

The house looks to be 80 to 90% complete. Must be galling to give up on it and sell for a fraction of the cost they put into it.
    Google streetview from 2009 shows the building under construction, so it looks like is was abandoned for a decade or so, then some more money was found to advance it a but more.
    The blurb says that the electrics & plastering is recent.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6193218,-9.2496984,3a,15y,66.6h,93.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQyAc8DalWAAOCnp9YKCXTA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQyAc8DalWAAOCnp9YKCXTA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D37.64786%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

Being cynical, I reckon that all that has happened is a fresh coat of paint bad been thrown on everything.

Google streetview from 2009 shows the building under construction

Good detective work - close to the start of the clusterfcuk and it wasn't about to get prettier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Google streetview from 2009 shows the building under construction, so it looks like is was abandoned for a decade or so, then some more money was found to advance it a but more.

Being cynical, I reckon that all that has happened is a fresh coat of paint bad been thrown on everything.

Probably five grand just tidying up the plasterwork and getting the electrics finished and certified, so it looks like something that you could just throw another €100k at to finish and decorate. If it was a ragged mess a buyer would be thinking that they'd need to tear the whole thing down.

By the aerial photos, it looks like there are connections hanging out of the pool area, presumably where you need to build a pumphouse and provide your own hardware.

I don't even want to think what that would cost.

seamus wrote: »
    Probably five grand just tidying up the plasterwork and getting the electrics finished and certified, so it looks like something that you could just throw another €100k at to finish and decorate. If it was a ragged mess a buyer would be thinking that they'd need to tear the whole thing down.

By the aerial photos, it looks like there are connections hanging out of the pool area, presumably where you need to build a pumphouse and provide your own hardware.

I don't even want to think what that would cost.
    I would add outdated insulation standards to the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6193218,-9.2496984,3a,15y,66.6h,93.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sQyAc8DalWAAOCnp9YKCXTA!2e0!6s%2F%2Fgeo0.ggpht.com%2Fcbk%3Fpanoid%3DQyAc8DalWAAOCnp9YKCXTA%26output%3Dthumbnail%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26thumb%3D2%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D37.64786%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i13312!8i6656

I see their next door neighbour/relative managed to successfully finish the exact same house (minus the swimming pool bit)

ebe0abed-aca3-47d9-919f-2c44c8e8db91_x.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

The room with the crying chair is so soulless and empty. Your tears would echo off the walls for eternity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

mojesius wrote: »
    The room with the crying chair is so soulless and empty. Your tears would echo off the walls for eternity.

I think the idea is that you use them to fill the drowning pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

They must be a serious amount of money in the hole on it already if they haven't been able to put a few pennies together in 10 years to try and finish it

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

no, it's this one - did someone shuffle the pictures?
    MmNlZjIyMDljZmM3MmQwZTU5M2M5NmM5ZTBmYTdhYWGl3VQL0gQksyzrRaa_W68UaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzYvOC82OGQ1Y2E2YTQ4ZmFlNzRjMGFiMmMxZjY4ZTQ0MmJhNC5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

edit: Also having a boiler (possibly gas) in one of the bedrooms does not look like a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,089 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

having a boiler (possibly gas) in one of the bedrooms does not look like a good idea.

But it doubles as a handy shelf for charging your phone.

Y2Y4OTNiM2JiOGUwZDAwM2Y1ZjlkZGE1ZGVkNTMwMDZW47Dvbiejafs_CcKvaK62aHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzkvNi85Njc2ZThkNDYzMzhiNzViYTljYTgwZTJlODNiOWRkYi5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

The cat and teddy have already collapsed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

It's a lot of house for the money. I doubt you'd buy that site, get planning permission and build what's there for €270k.

But then again, if I had €270k, I wouldn't build that house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

[QUOTE=BattleCorp;116477894]It's a lot of house for the money. I doubt you'd buy that site, get planning permission and build what's there for €270k.

But then again, if I had €270k, I wouldn't build that house.[/QUOTE]

That was the first thing I thought when I saw it, there is a massive amount of work gone into what is there now and it looks like it's done to a very good standard.

A lash of tiles and timber floors alone would make a huge difference. It's not a location I'd fancy myself but for 270k someone could make a tidy profit finishing that house off.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

The orientation of that gaff on that plot of land is really grinding my Feng Shui gears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I see their next door neighbour/relative managed to successfully finish the exact same house (minus the swimming pool bit)

ebe0abed-aca3-47d9-919f-2c44c8e8db91_x.jpg

From the drone shot I was wondering would you be stuck in the middle of two fueding brothers or something.

Also what is that pink/reddish discolouration on the concrete? Is it a west of Ireland thing, Ive seen it on a good few houses over that way, saw one estate in east Galway where all the houses suffered from it less than 10 years of having been built.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »

Also what is that pink/reddish discolouration on the concrete? Is it a west of Ireland thing, Ive seen it on a good few houses over that way, saw one estate in east Galway where all the houses suffered from it less than 10 years of having been built.

That's from all the Blood, sweat and tears they put into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,814 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From the drone shot I was wondering would you be stuck in the middle of two fueding brothers or something.

I live in Cork and I see it a lot on a finish/render on houses built in the past 10/15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Finished the house after 12 years, but hasn't the time or money to get around to landscaping the place. Not even a basic lawn, or tree planted there.
    humberklog wrote: »
    The orientation of that gaff on that plot of land is really grinding my Feng Shui gears.

It's angled so you see the front when driving up to it. Which means all functions of living it it take 2nd spot. No thought given to being there in the evening when the sun is in the SW/W.

There's also one single patio door in the place to go outside; and then you're facing NE. No thought at all given to actually living there. Even the swimming pool has no windows. It's mad.

In this house is probably the 'oul couple who sold the sites, sitting there looking at Nationwide and thinking what a pack of bloody eejits. Looks like they sold 3 sites there.
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.6192993,-9.2497163,3a,30y,284.76h,82.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-eqllbA1TA8CvK3BPaXVPA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Apart from that the area is good. About 40 mins to the outskirts of Galway, after that it's hit and miss as to how long it takes to get anywhere else.
    Lough Mask on your doorstep, Lough Corrib very near. Great spot for cycling, hiking, fishing and none of the rat race of Dublin.

I would never want a house like that, all the cleaning and heating bills would be insane. I also feel a bit for someone who put that much into a house, however tasteless IMO, to see it all gone for nothing. Probably caused them countless sleepless nights worrying about money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The estate agent measured this room space as 86cm. Perfect fit for a single bed.

Apart from that it's a decent location, right beside Corkagh Park.

https://www.daft.ie/for-sale/semi-detached-house-75-cherrywood-grove-clondalkin-dublin-22/2596823

MjFlMzRiZGExZjA1YmFmNjllNTYyNThlMzY2NDhhMDQr57IPjjGAzb2CXnSjMuYpaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy1ldS13ZXN0LTEuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9tZWRpYW1hc3Rlci1zM2V1LzYvMS82MTFkZDA1MjU5Mjg5NjdlNzVlMzFhM2EzZDM1NTc0YS5qcGd8fHwxMjAwfHx8fHx8fA==.webp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭griffin100

It’s a fungus. It’s easily removable using a fungicide and a power hose. We have to treat our house every few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

KevRossi wrote: »
    The estate agent measured this room space as 86cm. Perfect fit for a single bed.
    If it wasn't for the fact that there's a row of houses, I would have sworn blind that house was built by hand without and architect's help. There are so many little sticking out bits in rooms and nooks and crannies. Nobody in their right mind would design a house with such a terrible use of space.

I would have sworn blind that child's room had a big chunk taken out of it for a bathroom or something, but no it clearly wraps around the hallway.

I wonder was that 86cm space originally a toilet off the hall, but the owners have moved a load of internal walls around so now it's half a room + a toilet turned into a bedroom.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

seamus wrote: »
    If it wasn't for the fact that there's a row of houses, I would have sworn blind that house was built by hand without and architect's help. There are so many little sticking out bits in rooms and nooks and crannies. Nobody in their right mind would design a house with such a terrible use of space.

I'd say it was bought, gutted and reconfigured by someone with a head full of dreams, a locked and loaded nail gun and a flatbed of plaster board.

KevRossi wrote: »
    I would never want a house like that, all the cleaning and heating bills would be insane. I also feel a bit for someone who put that much into a house, however tasteless IMO, to see it all gone for nothing. Probably caused them countless sleepless nights worrying about money.

That's very true. Started out I guess as someone's dream, and turned into a nightmare.

And I 100% agree as regards cleaning and heating it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

300k for a semi in Clondalkin?

Madness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement