Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook allowing removte working is the end of our tech boom.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,708 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If you read past my first sentence you would realise that a lot has changed.

It hasn't . Most tech companies allowed this already. This isn't a new headline. They are now updating policies to formalise it. Unless you came from one of the locations they have a local office in though then it's not happening anyway.

Once again you will be moved to that geo for tax purposes. And any future decisions on pay will be related to that local HR pay rates not Dublin.

listermint wrote: »
    It hasn't . Most tech companies allowed this already. This isn't a new headline. They are now updating policies to formalise it. Unless you came from one of the locations they have a local office in though then it's not happening anyway.

Once again you will be moved to that geo for tax purposes. And any future decisions on pay will be related to that local HR pay rates not Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

It will sit fine with many people, especially if London is on the list of cities to live. If you're Italian, why live in Dublin and pay more taxes and same rent as London?

Workers are going to move to London to avoid high rents and supporting a welfare class? The South-East is the only area of the UK which makes a net profit.

Every other area of the UK stays afloat on subsidies and welfare - entire populations in the north of England are in a welfare trap.

If you're unhappy because the UK tax brackets have kept up with monetary inflation better than Irish ones then why not just say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Can you just state what Facebook are changing with this.

What is possible now that wasnt possible before.

You could already move offices with facebook to move to a different country.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

And there was me thinking that Joe Biden pumping the global corporate tax rate to 15 per cent was the end of our tech boom

ah well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

If so, great. Scummy company. May whatever tech paradigm it takes to wipe them off this planet happen sooner rather than later.
    We made our money. Adios data rapists.

Edit: feel free to take some tech bro hipsters with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Del2005 wrote: »
    They will reduce the pay to match the country that you are resident in, companies have already dropped pay for people working from home due to no commuting costs.

The only reason why London pays more than Dublin is because of cost of living, so if you are living in Italy you'll get Italian pay not Irish pay.

No companies have reduced pay due to no commuting costs and WFH.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Big tech can, which are huge employers in Dublin. Those of us working for Irish companies can still opt to leave Dublin, as many of my work colleagues have already done.

Stop living in denial.

I'm working for big tech in Dublin, its incredibly restrictive as to where you can work, because there either needs to be a permanent legal entity in that country OR your current legal entity is deemed to have established a permanent location by your working there and as such becomes liable to pay corportate tax in that location.

Your Dublin entity specifically does not want to be paying tax in other countries, thats why they setup in Dublin in the first place!

The entity in the other locations would be tiny and not signing multi million dollar contracts.

Stop living in your own made up reality.

talulon wrote: »
    This is not completely true. American tech companies pay higher salaries here in Ireland compared with the cost of living and in some cases just higher salaries in order to attract people to work in this country.

Sure, but they are not paying the same as they pay their employees in the states.
    Facebook (and every other company) will alter your salary if you move country.

So I'm in tech and it's not hugely unusual for people to work abroad for a few months of the year tbh. Obviously if you're abroad to point where tax changes etc that needs to be handled. It's only ever been a big problem in places I've worked if they're in a more controversial country. Eg China

Don't think this amounts to much of a tech bubble exploding either.. Roles are in abundance at the moment and I can't see that changing any time soon.

• Advertisement

So I'm in tech and it's not hugely unusual for people to work abroad for a few months of the year tbh. Obviously if you're abroad to point where tax changes etc that needs to be handled. It's only ever been a big problem in places I've worked if they're in a more controversial country. Eg China

Don't think this amounts to much of a tech bubble exploding either.. Roles are in abundance at the moment and I can't see that changing any time soon.

Most of the time this happens because HR and finance are not made aware and the managers etc are not aware of the tax implications.
    It is often the case that foreign employees take a holiday in home country and then work from there for a couple of weeks (especially if home is far away)
    but there is no concrete definition on what defines a permanent location, its up to each country. India for example are pretty notorious for going after corporation tax in these scenarious.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It will sit fine with many people, especially if London is on the list of cities to live. If you're Italian, why live in Dublin and pay more taxes and same rent as London?

Because for a start an Italian won’t get a permit to live in the UK. Most of your assertions are not even remotely based on facts nor knowledge of the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,504 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Facebook have a huge HQ building under construction in D4 at the moment for 1000's of employees incidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Facebook have a huge HQ building under construction in D4 at the moment for 1000's of employees incidentally.

We can use it to house the 'welfare class' referred to in the OP. All the employees are going to live in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

We can use it to house the 'welfare class' referred to in the OP. All the employees are going to live in London.

D4 is too far out of town for them.

And youd be breakin up deh communitie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Many MANY companies already do this and, as many have said, pay will be locally benchmarked. Do you really think Facebook (Or any company) are going to pay Dublin high-end wages for someone living in Spain or Portugal or wherever where the going equivalent rate is much lower?

I have two friends who availed of this in two different large tech companies and that's what happened. The companies offered people the chance to move to another country and made it abundantly clear that they would be paid the local equivalent for their skill level/job position/experience. For them, it was an attractive offer because they retained their job. They held onto some perks such as additional holidays for long service, pensions etc. but they were not on the same wage as Dublin.

This is not a new practice. AT ALL. And will change nothing. At ALL.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Pixel Eater

How does tax work if you're based abroad? Will you have to pay double tax?

In London, for example, tenants have to pay council tax which you don't have to pay in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Also....

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-57425636
    .... The company has told employees "anyone whose role can be done remotely can request remote work".

..... Facebook's offices are expected to open to full capacity in October, but employees without permission to work remotely will have to come in at least half the time.....

So, yeah. Nothing new.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

In London, for example, tenants have to pay council tax which you don't have to pay in Ireland.

What do you mean by double tax?

If you are living and working in a different country you will of course have to pay the taxes required by that country and locality.

VinLieger wrote: »
    What do you mean by double tax?

If you are living and working in a different country you will of course have to pay the taxes required by that country and locality.

I mean you're earning the money in one country, say Ireland, you have to pay income tax, PRSI etc. do you also have to pay income tax/social security contributions in the country you're based in too? That would amount to one hell of a tax bill.

And if you're only paying the main tax in the country you earn the money, how can you avail of your resident country's services, like health, childcare and education?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

85603 wrote: »
    D4 is too far out of town for them.

And youd be breakin up deh communitie.

Don't get dizzy now, looking down from such a great height.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I mean you're earning the money in one country, say Ireland, you have to pay income tax, PRSI etc. do you also have to pay income tax/social security contributions in the country you're based in too? That would amount to one hell of a tax bill.

And if you're only paying the main tax in the country you earn the money, how can you avail of your resident country's services, like health, childcare and education?

This should answer your questions https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/moving-to-or-from-ireland/leaving-ireland/if-you-are-going-abroad-to-work.aspx.

Also you dont need to pay taxes or live here to avail of healthcare, but i dont understand why you would need to use childcare or education if you were living in another country?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You get a tax credit for both countries.

VinLieger wrote: »
    This should answer your questions https://www.revenue.ie/en/life-events-and-personal-circumstances/moving-to-or-from-ireland/leaving-ireland/if-you-are-going-abroad-to-work.aspx.

Also you dont need to pay taxes or live here to avail of healthcare, but i dont understand why you would need to use childcare or education if you were living in another country?

Ah okay. And I meant if you were getting free childcare while living in, say France, while paying your taxes in Ireland. But your link explains things a bit better.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,558 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You pay tax where you are tax resident. You may also have to pay tax in another jurisdiction if you spend a certain amount of time working in that jurisdiction (For example Canada will tax you if you spend a single day in the country working - other countries may have a threshhold of 1 or 2 months)

Any tax paid in the other jurisdiction is creditable against tax due on the same income in the country of tax residence. Hence you should not pay double taxation but will end up paying the higher of the 2 rates on the relevant income

A bigger issue here is the tax residence of the company (Facebook) and whether they end up creating taxable presences in those other countries. They will need to apply local employment taxes, but also will pay tax on profits earned in any "permanent establishment" (a tax concept defined in each individual tax jurisdiction, but generally established under OECD guidelines) will be taxed in that country. If it is deemed a branch of the Irish company then Irish tax is also chargeable, but that will usually be extinguished by the local tax paid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i don,t think staff will be allowed work from home 5 days a week, maybe 3 or 4 days a week.
    i think facebook needs office in eu to comply with gdpr data regulations.
    the uk has left the eu .where are they going to go, taxs are higher in other countrys ,most citys have high rents in most countrys in the eu.
    its too early to say what will happen ,maybe we will know in 12 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭arctictree

Beasty wrote: »
    (For example Canada will tax you if you spend a single day in the country working - other countries may have a threshhold of 1 or 2 months)

How is that actually enforced in reality? So if I go for a business meeting in Canada that lasts a couple of days, I'm supposed to pay tax there?!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,558 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

arctictree wrote: »
    How is that actually enforced in reality? So if I go for a business meeting in Canada that lasts a couple of days, I'm supposed to pay tax there?!
    Yes - your employer is obliged to pay it over

I've avoided Canada for that very reason. However my employer has significant operations in the US and this specific issue has arisen. The employer files appropriate returns and pays over any tax due

I've no idea what checks they may do in, for example, immigration. I suspect many smaller employers are not aware of the specifics here. I have dealt with dozens of tax authorities over the years and this is the most extreme example I have encountered

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Because you need a visa to live in London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

We've at least one meat packing plant uses foreign workers who pay tax in their native country, because it's cheaper labour for the Irish company. Maybe Facebook are catching up?

It will be interesting if it pans out that way. Imagine all the big tech companies based here but employing nobody? We'll see if all those jobs are the real reason we treat them so well on taxation.

Advertisement