Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gemma O'Doherty - Part 2 - Read OP for mod warning (06/01)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

The Nal wrote: »
    If she is a plant by the left, shes doing a great job surpressing the right.

she's doing a great job of representing the right imo :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

eviltwin wrote: »
    I often wonder would Gemma and John's racism apply to me seeing as we are hating on people of foreign parents.

At least Leo has an Irish mother, I was spawned by two foreigners but I'm pasty white with red hair so that gives me an out right :confused:

This racism lark is very confusing

The red hair is a problem though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

she's doing a great job of representing the right imo :pac:

Haha totally. Her and waters must know that they are alienating themselves and others like them from the public with their carry on so in my opinion it's either of these three things in my view.

they are "controlled opposition",
    they have mentally cracked and are simply unable to grasp how the public sees them
    or they simply just want to vent and don't care about the so called change they want to see.

The way they say what the right think without the filter ithat right wingers are painfully bad at using is at a stage where its comedic at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I often wonder would Gemma and John's racism apply to me seeing as we are hating on people of foreign parents.

At least Leo has an Irish mother, I was spawned by two foreigners but I'm pasty white with red hair so that gives me an out right :confused:

Gemma was foreigner in a different country when she met her future husband also a foreigner there. Then brought him back to Ireland and had a kid. So by her own logic, her child should only being working in an Italian restaurant and isn't Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Gemma was foreigner in a different country when she met her future husband also a foreigner there. Then brought him back to Ireland and had a kid. So by her own logic, her child should only being working in an Italian restaurant and isn't Irish.

I thought Gemma had a stepson and no children

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Occam's razor. Simplest explanation is that she's just a petty, hateful, stunted bigot. There's no shortage of these people. She's showing no signs of being mentally ill. If I read an opinion to the contrary from an expert, I'll revise my stance but for now, she's just another troll to me.
    To me Occam's Razor is the mentally ill reasoning. Some of the stuff she says can't come from a sane person. Bill Gates has a weather controlling apparatus?

But she is also horrible. A person can be both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Lurleen wrote: »
    To me Occam's Razor is the mentally ill reasoning. Some of the stuff she says can't come from a sane person. Bill Gates has a weather controlling apparatus?

But she is also horrible. A person can be both.

But there is also money to be made being an extremist when the extreme you represent no longer has any representation. Pretty much all Irish media is left wing now and there are a small minority out there who are begging for someone to spout far right vitriol.

Look at Alex Jones. I doubt he believed 90% of crap he said but made a lot of money before he was deplatformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,371 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not really, they are racist of course, but it would be just more accurate to call them xenophobes and ultranationalists for what they are saying and doing. They are also intolerant on the grounds of faith. Aspiring fascists in other words.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Wasnt there a clip a day or 2 ago from Waters saying how much he loves the new Irish more than the Irish themselves. And now he hates the foreign Varadker, totally ignoring the fact his mother is Irish!
    The pair of them are talking out their arses, its almost like they are pulling the piss and faking it

Mother is Irish and he himself born and raised here. Listening to that shower you'd think he came in on a Ryanair flight. Personally I've no time for him, but thats because of his politics not that other nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Wow Gemma gets worse and worse, any tenuous grasp she had on reality has clearly slipped further, between spewing her bile on the LBGTQ+ community to the drivel she is spouting about the Covid vaccine killing large numbers of people, a Genocide she says. Poor lassie needs help and a spell in St. Pats or an equivalent institution.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The disliking of Varadkar by Gems, Waters and the rest is the same as the reason the DUP keep mentioning him.
    He is a different colour. He is of foreign descent. And he is gay.
    Ticks so many of their bigoted boxes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I have no time or support for Varadkar's personal politics, but any assertion he's not the "Right" kind of Irish can go join the wallabies on Lambay island, because they're both unwanted species to our isle; and maybe get lost on the way too. It's brazen racism, so at least makes it easier to dismiss Waters and O'Doherty as blinkered, bigotted regressives.

I'd take 10 Leo Varadkars, over a single John Waters. Not least because the country has a need for GPs, as opposed to contrarian "journalists" whose output pulls the rest of the industry down with his Bad Takes. An obviously bitter man, who can't cope with a changing Ireland,whose gene pool is being freshened away from whatever Dancing at Lughnasa fantasy knocks around in his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

It's sickening to see someone make comments like that about a fellow Irish person. You don't have to be a fan of someone's politics, but he's Irish and proudly so. So is Hazel Chu, who gets torrents of abuse online from people espousing this toxic nonsense.

Would anyone have given Éamon de Valera that kind of abuse or consider him anything but one of the most iconic Irish leaders in history? A man born in New York to an Irish mother and a Cuban/Spanish father.

Would anyone consider a guy like Roger Casement anything but an Irish hero? An Irish revolutionary, stood for human rights above all else, and even exposed the horrors of the Belgian Congo and was a gay man.

There are countless others too who are part of who we are.

To me being Irish is very inclusive. It's about connection. It's often a state of mind and its historically about being and backing the underdog.

I don't recognise this exclusionary, punching down, nativist nonsense as being Irish at all.

It's horrible. It doesn't sit with our history, as a nation that was scattered all over the planet as emigrants driven by bad circumstances on this island and as a culture that has connections everywhere though family and other links.

It's long past time we start calling this toxicity out. It's not what we're about and we need to recognise that and be capable of embracing what it really is to be Irish, because it's not the Trumpish tripe that they're pushing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's racism, a pure and simple flavour of that classic prejudice. Would DeValera have met the same kind of abuse, transplanted to today's Ireland? No, because he was white. Maybe some unconscious bias here and there. While Casement's downfall was precipitated by his personal life IIRC, but that's another segue.

I'm sure Waters was quick to laud one our historical black compatriots down the years when it suited, be it Phil Lynott's music, Kevin Sharkey's artwork, or Paul McGrath's sometimes supernatural abilities as a soccer player. But then that's John Waters: professional, bitter contrarian.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's racism, a pure and simple flavour of that classic prejudice. Would DeValera have met the same kind of abuse, transplanted to today's Ireland? No, because he was white. Maybe some unconscious bias here and there. .

Not to popular in Cork mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's racism, a pure and simple flavour of that classic prejudice. Would DeValera have met the same kind of abuse, transplanted to today's Ireland? No, because he was white.

It's far from an Irish thing either - I have lived in Australia, Canada and the US and have been on the receiving end of absolute rants and tirades about immigrants destroying the country.

Of course, with my being all pasty and white they weren't having a go at me and rather were expecting me to agree with them!

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It’s amazing that the posters who claim to ‘abhor racism from all sides’ are nowhere to be seen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Faugheen wrote: »
    It’s amazing that the posters who claim to ‘abhor racism from all sides’ are nowhere to be seen here.

Eh?

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭randd1

Faugheen wrote: »
    Why would they have to be here if they abhor racism?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

They can't say Varadkar is Irish because then they would have to say all mixed race people with Irish parents are Irish and even that is a huge leap for them. The right is so primitive in Ireland.

• Advertisement

MarkEadie wrote: »
    They can't say Varadkar is Irish because then they would have to say all mixed race people with Irish parents are Irish and even that is a huge leap for them. The right is so primitive in Ireland.

And the gas thing is they go on and on about the referendum in 2004, that the country 'closed the loophole' of automatic citizenship, when the country voted that to be irish, you had to be the child of an Irish citizen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭Be right back

Slightly off topic, I see that Aisling O'Loughlin has had her instagram deleted by Facebook. She was a great one for giving bizarre opinions on vaccines etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Slightly off topic, I see that Aisling O'Loughlin has had her instagram deleted by Facebook. She was a great one for giving bizarre opinions on vaccines etc..

Think the last straw was her trying to link Christian Eriksen's cardiac arrest to the vaccine even though he hasn't even been vaccinated yet.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Not really, they are racist of course, but it would be just more accurate to call them xenophobes and ultranationalists for what they are saying and doing. They are also intolerant on the grounds of faith. Aspiring fascists in other words.

No not aspiring.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Had never heard of her till recently. She seems as thick as two short planks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Sure it’s nothing new from Gemma and people who think like her so it’s not that surprising. I mean at the time of the Pope visiting Ireland, when it was announced that Leo Varadkar and Katherine zappone would be part of the welcome party, the statement was made to me, that “we can’t have them representing us,” but given that Varadkar was born in Ireland, I assume it was him being gay that was the issue. It was a ridiculous and I and two of the people in her group pulled her on it. I don’t know whether the subtle comments or the outright comments are worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,365 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Think the last straw was her trying to link Christian Eriksen's cardiac arrest to the vaccine even though he hasn't even been vaccinated yet.

Saw an article about that. I found her line about the “so called vaccination” especially bizarre. It’s not unique to her though. There was a bbc five live news reader who died of a brain tumour last week and the amount of people on Twitter saying it was done to the vaccine was ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Always thought there was something odd about her.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Had never heard of her till recently. She seems as thick as two short planks.

She used to co-present Xposé on TV3 years ago. The misinformation coming out of her is frightening really. She had a following on social media before Facebook and Instagram took down her accounts.

• Advertisement

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Sure it’s nothing new from Gemma and people who think like her so it’s not that surprising. I mean at the time of the Pope visiting Ireland, when it was announced that Leo Varadkar and Katherine zappone would be part of the welcome party, the statement was made to me, that “we can’t have them representing us,” but given that Varadkar was born in Ireland, I assume it was him being gay that was the issue. It was a ridiculous and I and two of the people in her group pulled her on it. I don’t know whether the subtle comments or the outright comments are worse.

Even Gemmas previous supporters feel she is now going too far in her racism. Sure she used to have a good few supporters on this site too. They've disappeared now.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,018 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

It's sickening to see someone make comments like that about a fellow Irish person. You don't have to be a fan of someone's politics, but he's Irish and proudly so. So is Hazel Chu, who gets torrents of abuse online from people espousing this toxic nonsense.

Would anyone have given Éamon de Valera that kind of abuse or consider him anything but one of the most iconic Irish leaders in history? A man born in New York to an Irish mother and a Cuban/Spanish father.

Would anyone consider a guy like Roger Casement anything but an Irish hero? An Irish revolutionary, stood for human rights above all else, and even exposed the horrors of the Belgian Congo and was a gay man.

There are countless others too who are part of who we are.

To me being Irish is very inclusive. It's about connection. It's often a state of mind and its historically about being and backing the underdog.

I don't recognise this exclusionary, punching down, nativist nonsense as being Irish at all.

It's horrible. It doesn't sit with our history, as a nation that was scattered all over the planet as emigrants driven by bad circumstances on this island and as a culture that has connections everywhere though family and other links.

It's long past time we start calling this toxicity out. It's not what we're about and we need to recognise that and be capable of embracing what it really is to be Irish, because it's not the Trumpish tripe that they're pushing.

As a slight aside, there's a great documentary about his time in and around Brazil that'll be screening at the Galway Film Fleadh. Hopefully RTE will give it an airing at some stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Annasopra wrote: »
    Even Gemmas previous supporters feel she is now going too far in her racism. Sure she used to have a good few supporters on this site too. They've disappeared now.
    It's hilarious that now all these people are going, "Oh my god, this is terrible, you can't be saying these things".

Nobody who goes on record with their racism is ever "slightly" racist. They are always out-and-out racists, they just tone it down.

They always reveal themselves eventually.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Not to popular in Cork mind.

Ah yes, Cork.....the Rebel County! Famous, of course, for.......*checks notes*........shooting the only real rebel we've ever produced in the head :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,535 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Ah yes, Cork.....the Rebel County! Famous, of course, for.......*checks notes*........shooting the only real rebel we've ever produced in the head :pac:

and a fellow corkman at that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The Rebel Country moniker comes from the county's support of the pretender for the English throne, Perkin Warbeck. The nickname was given by Henry VII, the first Tudor King.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭thomil

And ever since then, the people of Cork have never missed an opportunity to bet on the wrong horse! :pac:

I actually like Cork and have made it my home, but the propensity of the local population to regularly shoot themselves in the foot with a 12" naval gun is pretty obvious...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

Annasopra wrote: »

Nope they are still posting in other threads, such as the GB News one, the multicultural Ireland one. They just don't bother with the likes of this one or the thread about the recent issue in Canada because it's hard to try and come up with excuses other than ah well she and John are mental, when she actually says a lot of the same things that they do on here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,589 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Nope they are still posting in other threads, such as the GB News one, the multicultural Ireland one. They just don't bother with the likes of this one or the thread about the recent issue in Canada because it's hard to try and come up with excuses other than ah well she and John are mental, when she actually says a lot of the same things that they do on here.

There's a reason that racists like to dogwhistle. It gives them just enough deniability that they can push white genocide, great replacement or whatever deranged nonsense they've read. Smarter ones will say things accepting that Leo is Irish because of some vague cultural reason but it's all the same beneath the dogwhistling.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

DubInMeath wrote: »

It's hilarious tbh,

Like my friend on FB - has Mick Collins as a profiler (with the proclamation as a background) A 26+6=32 cover photo with tricolour - he's been sharing GB news clips and giving out about the leftie liberal snowflakes for the past few days now,

The ironing is delicious, and what's even funnier is he will definitely be voting SF in any election that comes up...

It's hilarious tbh,

Like my friend on FB - has Mick Collins as a profiler (with the proclamation as a background) A 26+6=32 cover photo with tricolour - he's been sharing GB news clips and giving out about the leftie liberal snowflakes for the past few days now,

The ironing is delicious, and what's even funnier is he will definitely be voting SF in any election that comes up...
    A bizarre merging of the left and right can occur at times these days.

PBP folk championing Gemma.

"Feminist" men giving women who critique TRA fanaticism misogynistic abuse.

There's a sea change in political discourse now - and one positive is that it's bringing moderates - whether liberal or conservative - together.

• Advertisement

There's a sea change in political discourse now - and one positive is that it's bringing moderates - whether liberal or conservative - together.

It's a complete lack of understanding of politics and motive tbh, - the guy i refer in my post is just an idiot, he's openly racist, hates the idea of socialism, but is a dole lifer, hates the idea of immigration but is a huge shinner.

He has a vote though, and by god will he use it to vote against his beliefs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It was mentioned on the Facebook page for the Clare Champion

It's a complete lack of understanding of politics and motive tbh, - the guy i refer in my post is just an idiot, he's openly racist, hates the idea of socialism, but is a dole lifer, hates the idea of immigration but is a huge shinner.

He has a vote though, and by god will he use it to vote against his beliefs.
    Lol, reminds me of Moe in The Simpsons or one of the other lads always at the bar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Arlene and Gemma, mssrs Poots and Waters are on an ecumenical merge. They share opinions and values on so many topics that unification seems like a definite possibility if power is handed to them as a coalition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Kaybaykwah wrote: »
    Arlene and Gemma, mssrs Poots and Waters are on an ecumenical merge. They share opinions and values on so many topics that unification seems like a definite possibility if power is handed to them as a coalition.

Why does religion go so much with nationalism? I'd have thought religion would advise tolerance to people from other backgrounds? There's another Flanagan one on Twitter who used be regularly on Twitter who also espouses a lot of the things the Gems did and regularly talked about homosexuality, abortion, trans rights and now the Covid vaccine being the work of the devil. It's actually bizarre. And the thing is, she presents herself as quite articulate so it's harder to just dismiss her ramblings as utter waffle (it's complete waffle!!!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,039 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

PhoneMain wrote: »
    Why does religion go so much with nationalism? I'd have thought religion would advise tolerance to people from other backgrounds? There's another Flanagan one on Twitter who used be regularly on Twitter who also espouses a lot of the things the Gems did and regularly talked about homosexuality, abortion, trans rights and now the Covid vaccine being the work of the devil. It's actually bizarre. And the thing is, she presents herself as quite articulate so it's harder to just dismiss her ramblings as utter waffle (it's complete waffle!!!).

Religious peopoe have insane beliefs when you think about it. Its only natural they'd believe in other mad sh1t aswell.

PhoneMain wrote: »

That's all the american evangelical shite, folk going around quoting leviticus and all that - you can thank youtube for that muck

Just letting you guys know.... I don't like Gemma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 aciquestion

Signed up just to say how much we loved this post.

Don't know how anyone Irish could look at our history, our rightful pride in our diaspora (well..most of them!), and then turn around and attack anyone who would look to make their home on our shores.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement