Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch (OLED Model) discussion thread

Options
  • 29-05-2021 10:05am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Might as well give this upcoming device a thread of it's own!
    https://www.techradar.com/news/nintendo-switch-2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,909 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

If it's just an improved screen and battery I don't think I can justify spending more money. I'd probably just wait for Switch 2.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

If it's just an improved screen and battery I don't think I can justify spending more money. I'd probably just wait for Switch 2.

definitely will be more than just a screen improvement

there will be cpu and gpu uplift for sure (how significant is the question) and with DLSS capability (which could add the most benefit really but existing games won't have it). this has been signposted by the messages from Nintendo to developers to prepare for higher resolutions.

for new games that will come with DLSS there will be a very big difference in framerate and resolution

surely an opportunity to fix the obvious design flaws / bad components of the current joycons also

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'll be waiting to see how much GameStop offer in their trade up offer that they'll invariably run.

If it costs less than €200 to upgrade then I'm in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Hopefully it's like last time that you can upgrade for €30! I'd imagine the new one is going to launch at higher price point though, probably more like €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,794 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

People are assuming we won't hear anything before Tuesday due to holiday in the States tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

CastorTroy wrote: »
    People are assuming we won't hear anything before Tuesday due to holiday in the States tomorrow

I'm assuming this will launch with something big and the version for the current Switch will be derided as "A F#cking Port!"

I see ones saying it'll be hard to get but due to people saying that it will likely lead to scalpers buying

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hopefully the shops being back open will help alleviate some of the madness around getting hold of one. Being able to pre-order one and perhaps wait for it if needed in Gamestop or Smyths might beat the online scramble.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

We need a boards scalper group

scalper.jpg

• Advertisement

Ah back to the old days. Bring back Shibata!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I wouldn't trust any rumours at the moment anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭tbahh

Sounds like it'll probably happen.
    I can't see it being part of their E3 stuff, though. So it would make more sense to have it announced before it begins. When launching the Lite version, they made no reference to it at E3 2019 before unveiling it a couple of weeks later in July.
    Hoping it gets a simultaneous release worldwide and not what those reports say about a delayed launch in Europe.
    I probably would trade my one in if GameStop has a similar offer to the previous one with the 1.1 version.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Now this is a "take with a pinch/dump-truck full of salt" stuff but seen this image floating round, with the message "9/6" attached....so possibly an announcement next Wednesday.

Could be a very elaborate fake though, seems a bit shorter than a normal Switch and the joy-cons seem off too.

zKZqn77.jpg

If that was a leak the date would likely be American so September 6th. And that logo doesn't make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 27,799 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If that was a leak the date would likely be American so September 6th. And that logo doesn't make sense

The logo on the unit itself? I assume it's a 2 in the middle so Switch 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

But the text under it says "Nintendo Switch +" not 2

Exactly. I assumed it was a 2 as well which didn't match the Switch+.
    And did they swap around the cartridge slot and buttons?

Exactly. I assumed it was a 2 as well which didn't match the Switch+.
    And did they swap around the cartridge slot and buttons?

Again...probably fake. But could be many reasons: more right handed folk so the volume controls being that side is more comfortable to change while playing, right Joy-con has more functionality (IR camera) so they needed a little more space that side so moved the cart slot.

I'm now looking at it compared to the normal Switch and wondering where the cooling vent has gone? Given its meant to be a more powerful yoke I would imagine it gets far hotter.

It's Nintendo. They don't let small things like the laws of thermodynamics or whatever get in their way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

Am I the only one who thinks it’ll actually be called a Switch XL? I would prefer the Pro name, and it’s “on-trend” as well so would seem likely to make sense calling it that, but the XL name has been the nomenclature Nintendo have used in their last couple of portable hardware generations. (Although I do realise the Switch isn’t portable-only so I could be just talking nonsense.)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

It should be called Nintendo Super Switch.

The XL or new naming Nintendo used for the DS and 3DS was honestly stupid and confusing (which means Nintendo will totally use that).

Saving Switch U for the next console

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Saving Switch U for the next console

Star Fox Zero Deluxe a launch-day exclusive!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Star Fox Zero Deluxe a launch-day exclusive!

Can only be controlled using the Ring-Fit ring coupled with part of the Labo kit.

Because you cant have Star Fox now without "WTF are these controls, Nintendo?"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,997 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

That logo is giving 2 middle fingers.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Can only be controlled using the Ring-Fit ring coupled with part of the Labo kit.

Because you cant have Star Fox now without "WTF are these controls, Nintendo?"

In order to control the robot you must be dressed as the robot!

With the VR headset so you can have more precise controls, or whatever the idea with the Zero controls was.

With the VR headset so you can have more precise controls, or whatever the idea with the Zero controls was.

I think you got it right,
    There was zero controls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Grassey wrote: »
    We need a boards scalper group

scalper.jpg

I hereby nominated myself to be archduke scalper when someone assassinates me World War V begins

Advertisement