Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Jorge : February 29th

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'll be keeping an eye on forecast. Our mother lives on the coast in SW Donegal. Very exposed spot. We usually bring her up to my place or one of the sisters places during severe winds. But she hates the fuss and always downplays such storms and accuses me of hype and daftness.

This room is unusually quiet so I'm thinking that folks in here aren't convinced that this storm is going to be so bad. I'll keep an eye on it throughout the day and see what Met Eireann are saying this afternoon.

The coronavirus thread is very very active so maybe that is where folk are at?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Majority possibly still at work and cant skive off on boards all day( including myself as one of said skivers)

That, or on the corona virus thread (737 people in there at the moment)! :p

That should keep the pressure off the weather forum/keep some of the riff raff out!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I reckon people are getting used to these storms on a weekly basis and weather warning+wind fatigue is definitely setting in.

If anything the rain and flooding as well as the corona virus is much more of a concern this winter, compared to the wind. Having said that this weekend is definitely up there with all the recent storms for wind strength.

Once this storm system passes we may be turning a corner on this prolonged unsettled spell. March is trending dryer and milder with each run, particularly from the middle of week 2 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,485 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Forecaster Evelyn Cusack says western coastal areas will also be facing status red conditions.
    It’s understood Met Eireann will be issuing a red marine warning for Galway and the west coast later Friday.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm...arly-tomorrow/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Gonzo wrote: »
    I reckon people are getting used to these storms on a weekly basis and weather warning+wind fatigue is definitely setting in.

If anything the rain and flooding as well as the corona virus is much more of a concern this winter, compared to the wind. Having said that this weekend is definitely up there with all the recent storms for wind strength.

Once this storm system passes we may be turning a corner on this prolonged unsettled spell. March is trending dryer and milder with each run, particularly from the middle of week 2 onwards.

Ground is still very saturated and flooded in north kildare anyways. Could do without any more precipitation of any kind tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Is there a chance this could be upgraded to red for coastal counties?
    Living fairly exposed in West Mayo especially to SW winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

corsav6 wrote: »

Would you not adhere to the marine warming living on the coast?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

zell12 wrote: »
    Forecaster Evelyn Cusack says western coastal areas will also be facing status red conditions.
    It’s understood Met Eireann will be issuing a red marine warning for Galway and the west coast later Friday.
    https://galwaybayfm.ie/galway-bay-fm...arly-tomorrow/

It's already on a red marine warning, was issued at 12pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭endainoz

aisling86 wrote: »

No, unless you are on a boat or an island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

DOCARCH wrote: »
    That, or on the corona virus thread (737 people in there at the moment)! :p

That should keep the pressure off the weather forum/keep some of the riff raff out!

Bit unfair on Kermit :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

corsav6 wrote: »

MT Cranium said it's possible - Mayo, Galway, Clare to go Red for a time tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Mr Velo wrote: »
    MT Cranium said it's possible - Mayo, Galway, Clare to go Red for a time tomorrow.

Forgot Kerry:

"I would say if the current model trend continues and there is no last-minute downgrade, a red alert is quite likely for at least Mayo, Galway, Clare and Kerry."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,497 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

dinorebel wrote: »
    Bit unfair on Kermit :cool:

tenor.gif?itemid=4677199

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Thomond Park tomorrow, don't think I'll travel even if it's on and I have a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Probability forecast for wind gusts of 64 knots or more for 3pm tomorra. (based on latest ECM output)

zUJvDDo.png

Below 50% in most places away from exposed coasts.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Ground is still very saturated and flooded in north kildare anyways. Could do without any more precipitation of any kind tbh

Saw some great waterfalls today in the gap of Dungloe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Majority possibly still at work and cant skive off on boards all day( including myself as one of said skivers)

Work never stopped anyone posting on the weather forum if there was some excitement in store. :D

Or maybe the wolf has been cried a bit too often.

New Moon

aisling86 wrote: »

Yes; it says coastal waters so marine warning applies to extreme coasts. Already at red. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

Roughly how long will the storm last?

• Advertisement

Saw some great waterfalls today in the gap of Dungloe.

OK: photos please! I miss Kerry!

Latest FMI-HIRLAM run is a bit of a change it seems. After clipping off the Kerry coast, the main belt of winds is off the south coast. Centre further south too.

fmiuk-11-27-0_cvn6.png
    fmiuk-11-32-0_ozv8.png

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Or maybe the wolf has been cried a bit too often.

Depends where you live; never once a wrong warning here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

diceyd wrote: »
    Roughly how long will the storm last?

It looks like majority of the day(Very windy), probably peaking early afternoon from my reading of it

Why is there a difference between the Dutch & Finnish HIRLAM output? FMI is sending the centre over Mayo. Dutch keeps it further north.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Just wondering what is the rough time for winds to peak tomorrow in Galway ( possible red alert) .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

At this stage now it would be wise for Met Eireann to view the 12s and then update the warnings this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Met Eireann update is at 3pm I think.

Sundew wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the rough time for winds to peak tomorrow in Galway ( possible red alert) .

Windy throughout the day tomorrow but peaking roughly during the mid to late afternoon period.

Meteogram for Galway (city) tomorrow:

UAq6OWM.png

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just scanning through the latest Hi Res models on the phone and it looks like North Kerry, Clare and possibly W Galway very much fitting Red warning criteria for a time Sat. To me County Clare is the hot spot atm, 130 to 140 km/h winds pushing inland there for a time. This is still evolving more changes yet to come I reckon.
    More counties will probably come into Orange warning for a time.

Advertisement