Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter 2019/2020 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Great day out today nice to get out and do bits and pieces in comfort.
    Just shows how bad the weather has been when I comment on one good day

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Lovely day in cork city today. Sat out in the sun for a while even though it was chilly, was just nice to be out in the air

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

big patch of pish heading in for another wash out weekend -shocking weather

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Headford road galway
    mI09Ae9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Long, long way off but a bit of a trend emerging on the longer range EC runs for something a bit a little less wet and boisterous towards the middle part of March as high pressure begins to have a greater influence:

SQ7uPv5.png

Long way to go between now and then though with more chilly, low pressure systems coming in until then.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Feels warm in Dublin, it could be a typical June or July day

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Long, long way off but a bit of a trend emerging on the longer range EC runs for something a bit a little less wet and boisterous towards the middle part of March as high pressure begins to have a greater influence:

Long way to go between now and then though with more chilly, low pressure systems coming in until then.

Yes, a flip to more negative NAO looks possible at the end of the ECM run, with a strong northerly outbreak over eastern North America pumping heights northwards over the Atlantic. This setup looks like possibly building an Iceland or Scandi high later on, beyond this chart.

Top Left: Surface
    Bottom Left: 850 hPa
    Top Right: 500 hPa
    Bottom Right: 700 hPa

ecm0125_nat_4panel1_2020022800_240.png

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Fair and fine and fresh out here. Dazzle of sunshine, and a sweet tangy breeze. Gives heart and refreshes.

Whatever comes, we have this!

Yes, a flip to more negative NAO looks possible at the end of the ECM run, with a strong northerly outbreak over eastern North America pumping heights northwards over the Atlantic. This setup looks like possibly building an Iceland or Scandi high later on, beyond this chart.

Top Left: Surface
    Bottom Left: 850 hPa
    Top Right: 500 hPa
    Bottom Right: 700 hPa

ecm0125_nat_4panel1_2020022800_240.png

I'm assuming you have an image posted there but I canny see it. You must have me blocked or something!

But look at the deep level of cold the GFS has progged (for a few runs now) for the Canadian maritimes and that general area. So intense in fact that it is causing the mean NH temp anomaly to fall by as much as 1.0c within the space of a week. That would be pretty significant if something like this were to play out as forecast.

591KBcq.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I'm assuming you have an image posted there but I canny see it. You must have me blocked or something!

But look at the deep level of cold the GFS has progged (for a few runs now) for the Canadian maritimes and that general area. So intense in fact that it is causing the mean NH temp anomaly to fall by as much as 1.0c within the space of a week. That would be pretty significant if something like this were to play out as forecast.

That's not the first time that's happened. Here't the link to it.

The Canadian maritimes has been awash with cold all winter, but I reckon that blast in 2 weeks' time will be it for the season as the longwave pattern phaseshifts a step. Hopefully something different in the offing down the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

It is one lousy wet night in Castlebar. Car temp hit 12c in a bit of sunshine this afternoon but the rain unfortunately is never far away these days.
    Edit. The front seems to have passed through now thankfully, but a lot of surface water on the back roads in particular even after a couple of hours of rain. The countryside is well saturated. Longing for a fairly dry week above anything else at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

Gonzo wrote: »
    GFS continues to play around with a serious pattern change coming soon (week 2 of March). It has toyed around with alot of outcomes such as mild high pressures building from the south, mild and cold easterlies as well as some extremely bitter long fetch northerly shots.

It is becoming more obvious now that things are trending more towards a major reduction in the wet conditions and a spell of high pressure and an increase in temperatures.

This afternoons runs really send the temperature profile soaring from the 9th or 10th of March.

Latest ensemble runs shows a considerable reduction in rainfall spikes (although never completely settled), but a serious ramp in temperatures from -5C@850hpa to between +8 and +11C @850hpa

This would be enough to get our temperatures to mid teens at least by the middle of the month and possibily 16 or 17C under ideal and sunny conditions.

There have also been attempts to get +20c uppers into parts of southern Europe, which would bring a very early African plume of heat to some Mediterranean regions.

The pub run is rolling out now, let's see does this continue to evolve or throw everything I just said out the window.

I'm dreaming now.

I'm out my back garden on st patricks day isolated with a few cold beers in the sun. Listening to the radio on why no parade is being held.
    Ahh then back garden, it looks like muck at the moment cold, dull and wet.

Went out to fill up the bird feeders , God it’s absolutely freezing out ! Lovely bright sunny morning on the East coast but quite breezy......and bitterly cold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Really is Baltic cold out but at least it’s dry and bright. Serious wind chill there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Bright but cold day here in Laois ..one of the nicer mornings we have had over the last few weeks.
    Wind only picking up slightly now and no rain as of yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was wet and windy there for a couple of hours but cleared up nicely now and sun is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭appledrop

What a mad day. Lovely + sunny but very windy this morning in north county Dublin.

Absolutely bucking down with rain now + stormy gales.

Glad I was out + about earlier so can just relax + look out at the storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

Not one to wish my life away but weather wise, but February has been awful weather wise. March can only be better!

Seems that the EC run is backing away from a high pressure spell towards mid month. All swings and roundabouts at this stage, but as of this evening's update, low pressure would seem to rule the roast for the first half of March, though perhaps in a less impactful sense.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Hooter23

The record polar vortex should have an effect on our usual spring so at least this time it might be different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Shannonbridge 28/02/20
    D61UVFT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Newport finished up with 342.7mm of rain for the month of February making it the second wettest month on record there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Winter is over , Spring is here. Need a new Spring general chat and hopefully some warm weather to talk about. Beautiful sunshine morning out there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Moments to take away from this winter:

- early December sunrises and sunsets

HKxgJZw.jpg

OUOMqd5.jpg

- January high pressure

WHaP817.jpg

RJe5bYN.jpg

Otherwise, erase it from existence.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Unstable, restless day. Bright sun then dark clouds and torrential rain. Cold ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Artane2002

Absolutely stunning pics Sryan!

Sleety rain shower in Dublin 5, making March already a wintrier month than December and January :rolleyes: :p

Time to start the spring thread!

Well there is plenty of sunshine out there today but its bitterly cold + there is a wind chill that would take your breath away.

Add plenty of sleety/hailstones into mix + you have a wintery day.

Mad that now into March + yet we still haven't had a nice 'mild' day yet.

Syran those pictures are stunning.

Hope your out + about today to get some good ones in that sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

appledrop wrote: »
    Time to start the spring thread!

Well there is plenty of sunshine out there today but its bitterly cold + there is a wind chill that would take your breath away.

Add plenty of sleety/hailstones into mix + you have a wintery day.

Mad that now into March + yet we still haven't had a nice 'mild' day yet.

There is one started

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I am glad to see the back of yet another crap winter. The only good thing is Sryan's lovely sunset photos.

A completely forgettable winter if you could even call it winter. Winter was a nasty continuation of the Autumn deluge and not much difference in temperature or variety. No northeries, no topplers, no easterly's, no real cold, no real warmth either. We deserve a few months break from the zonality at this stage, will we see it during Spring and Summer? I'm not so sure.

This winter was a 0/10 for me, time to move on and hope that next winter breaks the mild Atlantic domination even just for one week!

Advertisement