Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of being fat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

PUT DOWN THE PANCAKE:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

hots wrote: »
    SW 139KG 13/01/2020
    136.5KG 20/01/2020
    136 KG 29/01/2020
    133.5KG 05/02/2020
    135 KG 19/02/2020
    CW 132 KG 26/02/2020.

Very happy with that bearing in mind there was a takeaway and a very full day of drinking on the Saturday (although I didn't take the piss as much as I might have with the takeaway maybe?). Two day wedding this weekend (when did that become a thing), if I can hold onto that loss I'll be happy enough, might crack 127 by March 26th yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 abc2304

Well done to everyone here on their weight loss journeys. I haven't posted before but I have been reading all the weight loss threads for the past year, and have found them a good support. Although I really envy the speed at which many of you see the pounds drop - some of you have lost in a few weeks what it has taken me 6 months to achieve!

Today marks a year since I decided I had to seriously do something about my weight. My weight gain was rapid and mostly down to medical issues and my diet was pretty good anyway, so it has been hard. I'm down from 80kg to 62.5kg. That puts me just barely in the healthy BMI range. My target, agreed with doctors and dietitian, was 64kg. But now that I have reached it I'm not really happy to stop there. Although I am pleased with my progress this year, I want to be back at 54kg.

My calorie allowance has been 1200 for the past year (lowest the dietitian will approve). Over Christmas I ate a bit more, though still healthy, and I have found that I will gain weight if I go over a weekly average of 1500. I'm advised to go up to 1400 now and just try maintain, but I'm not really happy with that. I use MFP and I weigh everything and record everything, so I'm confident the calories are fairly accurate. It's just frustrating when I see friends of a similar size lose weight while still eating 1400-1500 calories. And if they cut to 1200 they would see rapid results.

Just posting here mostly to get my own thoughts in order and consider how to proceed. Best of luck to you all and thanks for the inspiration over the past year.

Firstly, welcome to Boards! :)

I think we'll all agree that counting calories is a good guide to keeping track of what you eat, but the problem is that not all calories are created equal. For example, did you know that a well done steak has more calories than say a medium-rare? Or that it takes our body twice as much energy to break down wholegrain bread when compared to white bread? Here's a great article from Scientific American: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/science-reveals-why-calorie-counts-are-all-wrong/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).
    Week 7: 262.2 lbs (-39.4).

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭MilfordBud

1st Jan 243 lbs
    8th Jan 236 lbs
    15th Jan 235 lbs
    22nd Jan 233 lbs
    29th Jan 228 lbs
    5th Feb 229 lbs
    12th Feb 228lbs
    19th Feb 227 lbs
    28th Feb 225 lbs

Had a training course Wednesday so didn't get a chance to weigh in. Will do the weigh ins Friday from now on. Better on the excercise this week, the weather hasn't been helping but got out for maybe 2 hours pucking around including a bit of wall ball, 2 circuits sessions, 2 games of indoor soccer. Diet hasn't been great but I'm almost back on track with it.

• Advertisement

Week 1: 96.2kg
    Week 2: Didn't weigh
    Week 3: 91.6kg
    Week 4: 90.6kg
    Week 5: 88.6kg
    Week 6: 88.1kg
    Week 7: 88.7kg
    Week 8: 87.3kg

Bad week two weeks ago but back on course this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Week 1 15st 3.5lbs
    Week 2 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 3 14st 10lbs
    Week 4 14st 10.5 lbs
    Week 5 14st 10.5lbs
    Week 6 14st 9.5lbs
    Week 7 14st 11lbs
    Week 8 14st 10lbs

Week 9 14st 8.5lbs

Over indulged last weekend on the two days I wasn’t IF I ate all round me so need to control that better this weekend. Happy to have broke that 14 9 barrier again though and move in right direction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Week 1 15 Stone 12
    Week 2 15 Stone 10
    Week 3 15 Stone 10
    Week 4 15 Stone 7
    Week 5 15 Stone 5.5
    Week 6 15 Stone 6.5
    Week 7 15 Stone 6.75
    Week 8 MISSED
    Week 9 15 Stone 6

4 week plateau but I'll be honest haven't tried at all in that period.

I work in a job where a packed lunch is really impossible so need to start making better decisions at the deli counters ! Also need to cut back on the booze, I think 70% of my excess calories come from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I work in a job where a packed lunch is really impossible.

Why, out of curiosity?

Why, out of curiosity?

I'm on the road most days and when I'm not it's generally client meetings which 9 time out of 10 involve lunches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

I'm on the road most days and when I'm not it's generally client meetings which 9 time out of 10 involve lunches.

If you're in your car, can you not bring a cooler bag with you? Good decisions and deli counters don't intersect much, in my experience.

El Tarangu wrote: »
    If you're in your car, can you not bring a cooler bag with you? Good decisions and deli counters don't intersect much, in my experience.

Have tried it in the past and didn't work well for me. Food still not cold. The only thing which did work was sandwiches really and at that I'm trying to keep the carbs low.

Not looking to lose a huge amount of weight here anyway, I'm 6'1 don't look overweight but I make terrible food choices, so carrying an extra stone or so.

No drastic measures needed, just a bit more self control when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Have tried it in the past and didn't work well for me. Food still not cold. The only thing which did work was sandwiches really and at that I'm trying to keep the carbs low.

I never have a hot lunch. I'll often have a large tuna salad or similar which is low in carbs, filling and high in protein. Probably works out about 350 calories and I don't find myself hungry before dinner...and I'm 6'0".

You can always top up with healthy snacks, as appropriate, if necessary.

Again, not saying you should go have salad but do look at cold lunch options that you can eat anywhere if you're on the go.

Client lunches you just need to be clever about your choices.

A little something for those of us who have a sweet tooth but are also trying to shift a few pounds:

Delicious & Simple Healthier Brownies - just 7 ingredients!

I baked these yesterday evening and they were super tasty! I'm gluten- and dairy-free at the moment so this suited me perfectly, but you can swap these two ingredients to the 'normal' alternatives if you like - swap gluten-free plain flour for plain flour; and swap the dark chocolate chips for milk chocolate chips.

The key to this recipe is Sukrin Gold, a natural low-calorie alternative to brown sugar. I have used it in coffee up until now but this is my first time baking with it.

Here's the link to the recipe: Sukrin Low-Calorie Brownies

Week 0: 301.6.
    Week 1: 290.6 lbs (-11).
    Week 2: 282.8 lbs (-18.8).
    Week 3: 279.9 lbs (-21.7).
    Week 4: 276.3 lbs (-25.3).
    Week 5: 269.8 lbs (-31.8).
    Week 6: 265.3 lbs (-36.3).
    Week 7: 262.2 lbs (-39.4).
    Week 8: 257.6 lbs (-44).

Week 8: 257.6 lbs (-44).

An average loss of 5.5 lbs/week.
    Wonderful :)

Augeo wrote: »
    An average loss of 5.5 lbs/week.
    Wonderful :)

Easiest weight I ever lost TBH!

Easiest weight I ever lost TBH!

What have you been doing to make it so easy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Have you tried an ice pack in a cooler bag ? Works wonder for me in the summer

I live in the middle East and cooler boxes are the greatest thing ever invented for here. Just get a couple of ice blocks and pop them in along with the food and sorted for the day.

abc2304 wrote: »
    What have you been doing to make it so easy?!

Following the guidelines from Jason Fung's Obesity Code book: intermittent fasting (24 / 36 hour), no refined carbs (bread, sugar, pasta, etc) and a keto type diet, no snacking between meals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

Deise boii wrote: »
    Hello

I'm nearly 36 just under 6ft and in and around 15st 8lbs. I am fed up of being on the big side.

I used to play gaa and would go for a run once a week. I know I need to increase that. I can go for 10k in under an hour which I know would be quite slow but suppose it's a start.

Basically I'm here looking for advice about ways to get down to under 15st maybe closer to 14. I want to change my diet as sometimes it can be good but when work is busy and working long hours I notice it goes to pot

I had ideas that other people would join in here and we support eachother to try and loose a bit or just for encouragement.

Any takers?

I'm going to give you decent advice. You mightn't like it but hear me out anyway.

First of all what do people do when they're trying to lose weight? "I go for a run once a week" "I went to the gym twice this week"

You should, if you can, walk to work or cycle every day. Unless it will take you more than two hours to do so. (Obviously you should work up to it.)

I walk an hour to work in the morning and an hour back. I might be increasing that to a two hour walk soon. I also go to the gym a couple of nights a week.

You need to incorporate movement into your daily life, instead of setting aside small slices of exercise. That's my advice to everyone on this forum.

I was at my best friend about this for years. He would complain about being overweight and I used to point out that he lived an hour cycle from work, offer to lend him a bicycle etc. but he always said no. In a five-day week that would be ten hours of exercise. You'd be bollocksed at first and but after a while you get used to it.

To me this is easier than dieting. I exercise so hard because it allows you to eat more if you want to. Just make you're eating some healthy vegetables and a good balance of stuff because if you eat junk food and exercise very hard you will get sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Following the guidelines from Jason Fung's Obesity Code book: intermittent fasting (24 / 36 hour), no refined carbs (bread, sugar, pasta, etc) and a keto type diet, no snacking between meals.

You'll have to change your username. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

growleaves wrote: »
    I'm going to give you decent advice. You mightn't like it but hear me out anyway.

First of all what do people do when they're trying to lose weight? "I go for a run once a week" "I went to the gym twice this week"

You should, if you can, walk to work or cycle every day. Unless it will take you more than two hours to do so. (Obviously you should work up to it.)

I walk an hour to work in the morning and an hour back. I might be increasing that to a two hour walk soon. I also go to the gym a couple of nights a week.

You need to incorporate movement into your daily life, instead of setting aside small slices of exercise. That's my advice to everyone on this forum.

Excellent advice.
    I was at my best friend about this for years. He would complain about being overweight and I used to point out that he lived an hour cycle from work, offer to lend him a bicycle etc. but he always said no. In a five-day week that would be ten hours of exercise. You'd be bollocksed at first and but after a while you get used to it.

To me this is easier than dieting. I exercise so hard because it allows you to eat more if you want to. Just make you're eating some healthy vegetables and a good balance of stuff because if you eat junk food and exercise very hard you will get sick.

Facepalm :rolleyes:

It reads good but it's a non-starter, you just can't outrun a bad diet, there's no way.

As a result of the extra exercise your appetite will soar and cravings will hound you, you'll eat back double the amount of calories you've burned (probably at your first meal!), you're also going to be very uncomfortable and much more likely to fail.

There's also little chance of maintaining anything like the intensity needed to burn sufficient calories to loose weight regularly.

Dieting doesn't work either, at least when seen as a short term solution, the most important thing you can do is change your attitude to food, look at your nutrition properly and work out what you need, and what you don't. This doesn't have to be overly restrictive (especially when you're exercising as well) but knowing what you eat is the most important step anyone takes to weight control.

Do you know what calories you take in now compared to before?

If your weight was constant prior to 8 weeks ago it looks like you are eating an average of 2500 calories/day less.

If you are eating nothing for 24 hrs at a time that's quite likely.

bladespin wrote: »
    ....... but knowing what you eat is the most important step anyone takes to weight control.

Yes, I'd agree.
    Anything else isn't sustainable longterm IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

bladespin wrote: »
    Dieting doesn't work either, at least when seen as a short term solution, the most important thing you can do is change your attitude to food, look at your nutrition properly and work out what you need, and what you don't. This doesn't have to be overly restrictive (especially when you're exercising as well) but knowing what you eat is the most important step anyone takes to weight control.

Fair enough. I probably shouldn't have mentioned diet/food at all. I just wanted to throw that aside in not to mix junk food with the kind of intense every-day-movement routine that I'm recommending or you will become sick. (Also, I neither drink nor smoke.)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Fair enough. I probably shouldn't have mentioned diet/food at all. I just wanted to throw that aside in not to mix junk food with the kind of intense every-day-movement routine that I'm recommending or you will become sick. (Also, I neither drink nor smoke.)

Walking an hour to work isn't particularly intense exercise tbh. The reason you can do it twice a day is because it's low intensity. Sure it's better than nothing, it will help if you are sitting at a desk all day. But many people who work on their feet manage that amount of walking without even noticing. With little impact to their weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

I've being doing the 10000 steps Day now since 29th December and my average has been 14000 steps per day. Also using my fitness pal to keep count of my calories. Have made big changes to my diet, as in eating healthy options and off alcohol since then to. I was 195 lbs in now 174lbs, have another 14lbs to go. No big exercise changes, mostly food and habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

puddles22 wrote: »
    I've being doing the 10000 steps Day now since 29th December and my average has been 14000 steps per day. Also using my fitness pal to keep count of my calories. Have made big changes to my diet, as in eating healthy options and off alcohol since then to. I was 195 lbs in now 174lbs, have another 14lbs to go. No big exercise changes, mostly food and habits.
    Fair play, that's good going. I've found that exercise is an important component when you you start to plateau after the first couple of stone comes off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

Bassfish wrote: »
    Fair play, that's good going. I've found that exercise is an important component when you you start to plateau after the first couple of stone comes off.

Yeah plan to get out on the bike now when weather settles a bit

Advertisement