Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Using a small commercial 100% privately

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Done this , they rob you blind in the premium though. Gave main profession and had use down for carrying own tools. Which it is. The premium is laughable though have own car and bike too so it's used infrequently but needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You can get 8 or 9 seater VW Transporter's which could be easily converted for sleeping and most of the manufacturer's make passenger versions of their vans.

You can 100% run a van as a private car.
    A lad I work with has a transit connect as his one and only vehicle.
    He has no need for it whatsoever but thinks it's cool to have a van.
    personally I'd rather an estate car!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Chavways wrote: »
    Is that not against the law to insure it as a commercial if I have no company and it will be used for social, domestic & pleasure 100% of the time?

When I did it I said I needed it to bring dog around etc,I drive a van in work which was separate but showed it wasn't for commercial use, there was no issues insuring it and my premium was cheaper.

I only stopped because you loose your car ncb after 2 years if your not insuring a car,and my ncb was the max,

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Just be careful if taxing your van as private instead of commercial as it will be taxed on its CC's and not emissions as is with a 08+ private car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Carpentry

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/08-renault-espace-monoco-2-0-l-diesel/19529629

In any espace once you take the seats out you'll get a properly flat floor. Aim for grand espace.

Same with this yoke.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mercedes-viano/18915759

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭tphase

I know someone with a van registered as private, they tell me they are insured with Patrona
    One issue that arises for them is toll roads - on some, the car shows up as commercial and they get hit with the commercial toll

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Would never have thought of the tolls !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Do insurers not ask a whole raft of questions when trying to insure a commercial? I've never done it. Or is it actually illegal for me to insure a van as commercial when I have no intention of using it for commercial work? Thanks.

In my experience no. Have a Hilux imsured for SD&P and own goods.

As a side note though this whole commercial tax thing is a huge PIA for no great gain for anyone as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,631 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Purgative wrote: »
    In my experience no. Have a Hilux imsured for SD&P and own goods.

As a side note though this whole commercial tax thing is a huge PIA for no great gain for anyone as far as I can see.

Commercial tax is a massive saving for just that ... commercial driving

A fleet of 50 or 60 vans. Say they're 2.0 litre approx 350 per vehicle saving vs the tax per cc. €17000 on that fleet.

Transit is usually a 2.5. So again say €750 saving per vehicle. Same fleet of 50 transits, €37500 saving!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭elperello

A fleet of 50 or 60 vans. Say they're 2.0 litre approx 350 per vehicle saving vs the tax per cc. €17000 on that fleet.

Transit is usually a 2.5. So again say €750 saving per vehicle. Same fleet of 50 transits, €37500 saving!!!

Any company with a fleet of 50 or 60 vans will have a turnover and bottom line that will make €17000 look like a small sum. Don't get me wrong, I know the value of a pound but at that level only the accountant will worry about 17k. There is nothing to prevent a change in the rules to make sense of the current overly restrictive system except that's the way it has always been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Oh I do get that. What I don't get is that Governments here have used this tax as a money spinning thing which causes the perversion that this thread is about.

I say that having moved here from UK 10 or so years ago when road tax there was £200/£300, didn't matter much what you drove and you could get it at the PO without going to the county town and basically be fcuked about with while they sorted it out.

elperello wrote: »
    Any company with a fleet of 50 or 60 vans will have a turnover and bottom line that will make €17000 look like a small sum. Don't get me wrong, I know the value of a pound but at that level only the accountant will worry about 17k. There is nothing to prevent a change in the rules to make sense of the current overly restrictive system except that's the way it has always been done.

Can't see too many sneezing at the 40k though

No pleasing people. Don't see the problem myself

Commercial tax, VAT back on cost, VAT back on juice, depreciation write off.

Lower cost to business and in turn to us.

Purgative wrote: »
    Oh I do get that. What I don't get is that Governments here have used this tax as a money spinning thing which causes the perversion that this thread is about.

I say that having moved here from UK 10 or so years ago when road tax there was £200/£300, didn't matter much what you drove and you could get it at the PO without going to the county town and basically be fcuked about with while they sorted it out.

Yep 200 to 300 on tax. Notice the considerably higher diesel costs in UK. That's where they're getting the tax in.

Swings and roundabouts.

Just give people what they want without putting a load of stupid restrictions on them.
    Give the genuine business full time users the appropriate tax allowances.
    Let the small time operator have an element of private use and still have commercial use.
    If someone wants a van for dogs or bikes, let them, the sky won't fall in.
    The current system is a mess with Motor Tax, Revenue and Insurance companies all acting as gatekeepers in a game of cat and mouse.

I know plenty driving commercials which are taxed commercially also for 100% private use so it’s certainly doable.

I know plenty driving commercials which are taxed commercially also for 100% private use so it’s certainly doable.

Yes you are right but they are operating in in a grey area.
    The present system doesn't allow for the way people live in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭mr c

A Chrysler Grand Voyager or Toyota Previa etc. would be ideal size wise for your requirements and they can be bought cheap enough now to
    a commercial could be used for private use and taxed accordingly but i would guess the insurance would be dearer than a already categorized private vehicle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭wingnut

You don't need rear seats for to pass an NCT. It will just show up as a pass advisory on the cert that rear seats were missing at the time of test.

I thought that if a car went for an NCT stating it had 5 seats, the seat belts for those 5 had to be checked at the centre? Or am I mistaken? Thanks.

Mistaken. I've had my Cmax through the NCT a few times as a four seater with the rear middle seat out.

Advertisement