Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suing VW over emissions scandal... Mod warning post 313

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

martco wrote: »
    sorry I'm not prepared to do that, you're kidding right? everyone on this thread gets my email/phone number? c'mon be sensible please.

trust me the car was priced within norms. its not the first time I've sold a car. I know how to buy and sell cars.

this was a couple of months back & we've kept the car for the time being, the thing that prompted me to write the post was that story I spotted in the Examiner, I hadn't realised Irish customers were taking actual action.

you are a little off topic here btw - I couldn't care less what VW's quarterly sales numbers are like, I just wanted to discuss this specific context.
    but I already said in a reply earlier I would probably buy VW again. the technicals don't bother me in the slightest. but the fact is this issue/affair affects my ability to resell my car. that's what bothers me.

Something else wrong with your car then because I do a few jobs for a friends garage, he can't keep enough vags in stock. People don't care about the emissions and if they do they are just chancing their arm for a few euro off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Yep. It's not the emissions that are the issue here.

The car is either too expensive or something else is slowing it down.

Used VW are flying, private sale or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭martco

s15r330 wrote: »
    Something else wrong with your car then because I do a few jobs for a friends garage, he can't keep enough vags in stock. People don't care about the emissions and if they do they are just chancing their arm for a few euro off.

thanks, I think you've made a point for me ;)

I'm selling it PRIVATELY. I'm quite sure your mates mate who's a DEALER can't keep up. I buy given whatever the scenario is from either pvt or garage myself but I know my Granda (who knows as much about cars as fecking hoovers) wouldn't go private "because it's just all so complicated, confrontational" but would buy this car from your mates dealership because...yes you've guessed it...

this is a confidence thing as I said earlier and yep agree with all defo a bargaining chip (thanks a mil VW) for a private buyer.

It's opened up a can of worms...if I have a perfect car you could eat your dinner off and 3 people out of 3 all ask the "tainted" question and either a) walk away citing it or b) use it as a way to lowball then it's an affect on me

yes, selling a car privately is a pain in the arse at the best of times but this is unusual...I've had eejits over the years but nothing like this. and in the end I like the bit of banter that goes with the territory actually. but this is different.

I love VW's too and will it stop me ever having one again and will I shed all cars throughout my and extended family out of some sort of spite? No.

but 3/3 (100%) wanted to know if the car was "tainted". I want VW to do something about that

you don't believe me if you don't want to, whatever.
    the car is perfect. the price is average, fair, privately priced.

I have a car bought from VW that VW lied about and is highly publicised now as flawed/tainted and I want them to account for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

What model are you selling, you got a link to any advert?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

@ OP you mention 3 out of 3 a lot there..

No one cares if three people asked about emissions.. it's proof of nothing

I know several people who sold VAG's recently with full asking price, you have no case if your expecting free money from VAG lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think the fact that selling any car privately is not easy has sailed completely over the OP's head.

It's a relatively fresh MK7 Highline Golf. Asking price is 20k++? Your market on DoneDeal as a private seller in that price bracket for any bloody car is tiny. Dealers have loads of similar cars!

The OP has had a couple of know-it-all doneDeal chancers look for an angle for a few quid off asking price. This is nothing new. Any prospective buyer looks for some way to knock the seller down. But in this case, I'd strongly suspect someone using this tactic is a timewaster to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

OP - put up or shut up. Link your ad here so we can assess if its your ad thats at fault or whether there is a widespread concern buying vw privately in ireland.

How many people telling you VWs are selling well do you want to ignore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,023 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

As someone who tried to sell a mint 2010 Focus for €9999 a couple of years ago privately, I got 1 call over a couple of months.

€10k is a risky amount to buy a car privately, with zero comeback should it break down the next day. I accepted this and knew and traded in.

Trying to sell a 20k car privately is a huge ask. I wouldn't buy one for that kind of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

NIMAN wrote: »
    As someone who tried to sell a mint 2010 Focus for €9999 a couple of years ago privately, I got 1 call over a couple of months.

€10k is a risky amount to buy a car privately, with zero comeback should it break down the next day. I accepted this and knew and traded in.

Trying to sell a 20k car privately is a huge ask. I wouldn't buy one for that kind of money.

If I was in a market, I would have zero issues with buying privately.

Have the car properly checked - and enjoy couple of thousands off the price you'd pay at the forecourt. Put the money aside should a fatal failure happens or buy a 3rd party warranty.

People don't seem to have a problem buying in UK with, effectively, no comeback as well. It is only in Ireland where paranoia creeps in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

thanks, I think you've made a point for me ;)

I'm selling it PRIVATELY. I'm quite sure your mates mate who's a DEALER can't keep up. I buy given whatever the scenario is from either pvt or garage myself but I know my Granda (who knows as much about cars as fecking hoovers) wouldn't go private "because it's just all so complicated, confrontational" but would buy this car from your mates dealership because...yes you've guessed it...

this is a confidence thing as I said earlier and yep agree with all defo a bargaining chip (thanks a mil VW) for a private buyer.

It's opened up a can of worms...if I have a perfect car you could eat your dinner off and 3 people out of 3 all ask the "tainted" question and either a) walk away citing it or b) use it as a way to lowball then it's an affect on me

yes, selling a car privately is a pain in the arse at the best of times but this is unusual...I've had eejits over the years but nothing like this. and in the end I like the bit of banter that goes with the territory actually. but this is different.

I love VW's too and will it stop me ever having one again and will I shed all cars throughout my and extended family out of some sort of spite? No.

but 3/3 (100%) wanted to know if the car was "tainted". I want VW to do something about that

you don't believe me if you don't want to, whatever.
    the car is perfect. the price is average, fair, privately priced.

I have a car bought from VW that VW lied about and is highly publicised now as flawed/tainted and I want them to account for that

You should get a job in politics!

• Advertisement

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I think the fact that selling any car privately is not easy has sailed completely over the OP's head.

It's a relatively fresh MK7 Highline Golf. Asking price is 20k++? Your market on DoneDeal as a private seller in that price bracket for any bloody car is tiny. Dealers have loads of similar cars!

The OP has had a couple of know-it-all doneDeal chancers look for an angle for a few quid off asking price. This is nothing new. Any prospective buyer looks for some way to knock the seller down. But in this case, I'd strongly suspect someone using this tactic is a timewaster to begin with.

with all due respect JoeA3 it hasn't sailed over my head
    I know selling privately isn't easy, ever.

I'm simply saying that:
    - this scenario has made it more difficult to sell than usual based on my experience
    - it's not a factor I've introduced and VW did, they lied. worse it's now become a very publicised storm in a teacup that never shoulda happened
    - IMO those with a car they've been sold under false pretences by VW (this car was bought VW dealer brand new) should be compensated in some way

Is that clear enough? Or have you got any more very large assumptions about my limited knowledge and expectations in private used car sales you'd like to write about?

maybe perhaps we could have some sort of technical face-off thread debating the pro's and con's of using yammy R1 carbs on a custom manifold setup on a 9A/16v mk2 head combo setup or the in's and outs of doing a DMF change on a T4 Transporter where you could expose my obvious novice tech skills or something too
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

sorry I'm not prepared to do that, you're kidding right? everyone on this thread gets my email/phone number? c'mon be sensible please.

trust me the car was priced within norms. its not the first time I've sold a car. I know how to buy and sell cars.

this was a couple of months back & we've kept the car for the time being, the thing that prompted me to write the post was that story I spotted in the Examiner, I hadn't realised Irish customers were taking actual action.

you are a little off topic here btw - I couldn't care less what VW's quarterly sales numbers are like, I just wanted to discuss this specific context.
    but I already said in a reply earlier I would probably buy VW again. the technicals don't bother me in the slightest. but the fact is this issue/affair affects my ability to resell my car. that's what bothers me.

many posters post links to their ad...

SO give the details of the ad and be honest what was it advertised for.

Not trying to get at you but the reason the majority of people struggle to sell their car is because they believe it is worth more than it really is, and there are many more similiar cars for cheaper.

no not off topic, you said customers where put off buying your VW because of the emissions issues, and you want compensation for that. I was just pointing out that general customers have not been put off buying VW's as their sales numbers shows.

Thats why a link to your ad would be beneficial as people could see was there other issues effecting the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

with all due respect JoeA3 it hasn't sailed over my head
    I know selling privately isn't easy, ever.

I'm simply saying that:
    - this scenario has made it more difficult to sell than usual based on my experience
    - it's not a factor I've introduced and VW did, they lied. worse it's now become a very publicised storm in a teacup that never shoulda happened
    - IMO those with a car they've been sold under false pretences by VW (this car was bought VW dealer brand new) should be compensated in some way

Is that clear enough? Or have you got any more very large assumptions about my limited knowledge and expectations in private used car sales you'd like to write about?

maybe perhaps we could have some sort of technical face-off thread debating the pro's and con's of using yammy R1 carbs on a custom manifold setup on a 9A/16v mk2 head combo setup or the in's and outs of doing a DMF change on a T4 Transporter where you could expose my obvious novice tech skills or something too
    :rolleyes:

Christ the arrogance is unreal.

Put up a link to your ad and less of the chest beating poor me whinging? Plenty of people on here put links up to their ads looking for genuine help. Usually it's a case of a crap poorly laid out ad and/or dreamland pricing. But as you keep saying, you are no novice with selling cars so it can only be the latter. If your car isn't selling its overpriced relative to other similar cars, it's as simple as that.

The fellas quizzing you on emissions are akin to the idiot who wanted to know if the TV stand, DVD player and even the curtains were included when I was trying to sell my TV earlier this year, as he could see them in my ad photos, therefore I was mis leading him and he was reporting me to doneDeal :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

listermint wrote: »
    Do you have any proof someone who comes back at trade time is not losing out?

Rather than just opinion.

I mean i have no proof either. But i am saying its a genuine concern. Enough of a concern for VW to take it seriously in the US, but they are protected here by the German high command in the EU. Molly coddled even.

Well given the person who is suing has the onus of proof your I have no proof would see the case fall flat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,728 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

VW are doing something about it though :confused:

They are offering the software upgrade to 'un-taint' the car.

get the software upgrade, problem solved, when people ask is it 'tainted' tell them it isn't.

Job done. :cool:

the spec is as follows:

2012 VW Golf 1.6 tdi
    Met Black Highline spec with DSG & even has a factory RNS510 aboard.
    One owner from new & FSH only thing ever had done in it's life is that bloody upstream O2 sensor @MSL
    Dublin Reg
    Mint eat your dinner condition, I mean no marks on either bodywork or alloys, interiorwise he's a man in his 70's so mostly the only seat sat in is his own these days ;)
    edging 50kms now so it's normal mileage
    I had the car on a the time for 16,250 ONO
    Reason for sale - we wanted the cash therefore private straight cash no dealer loop.

BUT whatever about all that YIZ ARE KINDA MISSING THE POINT lads!

The point I'm making is that ALL of the lads who physically called around to see and take this beautiful unmarked car for a spin cited "the flaw". Two of them walked away worried and the other specifically used it to lowball me - in much the same manner as if the flywheel was on it's way out or something to knock a grand and a half off the car. Compared to the usual experience this was defo different.

They ALL asked the question (which I obv answered as I'm not a liar & showed them the letter from VW) which leads to a discussion about "well shure what kind of a fix is that going to be and shure who knows what other things are going on there and....etc."

I'm a fair fella, even too nice sometimes ;) private selling I expect a bit of to and fro, it's what it's all about so I didn't stand there with my arms folded belligerent about the price ok? And I'm well used to pisstakers and tyrekickers. And when I go to buy a car I always try to get the best deal I can too. The ad and price I had the car up for brought a good few phonecalls and 3 meets before I called a halt. So I think I pitched it fairly. And my conclusion is IT IS A FACTOR and that the car would have been long gone only for it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

End of day this is why I like boards. We all have different opinions about things. And we might even discuss them differently if we met in the pub and were talking about our cars.
    The reason I took the trouble to make this posting is because I wanted to see generally if anyone else had this hassle and felt interested (or not) to make VW Ireland make some kind of recompense for it instead of skulking about quietly like there's nothing to see here. The typical Irish "nothing to see here". I have a good gauge now on where people are with this issue in Ireland and have to say I'm disappointed but not unexpectedly. I think generally we don't love our cars here as much as the lads over the water do (or even up north) or we see them differently maybe, dunno. Oh well thats life!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

I think €16,250 is your problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Would you ever cop on and do something productive with your time instead of looking for a handy payout, you're entitled to a free recall of the car to amend the issue and nothing more.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hang on for a second.

If a simple free recall on the car will fix it 100% how come VW are reserving so much money for the resolution of these issues elsewhere?

Despite many claiming that other manufacturers would be exposed for similar test cheating and duping this hasn't happened.

If retained values have taken a hit elsewhere and not here does that mean we know something the rest of the world doesn't?

I suspect the Irish motoring public haven't fully realised the scale of this issue yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

recyclebin wrote: »
    The software 'fix' is going to have to effect the cars performance in some way.

If you paid for a high-spec / high performance diesel, then VW downgrade it to NCT spec, then you will find that the engine is now substancially lower in performance.

Therefore, the car is no longer the highest spec version , but a pretty standard TDI giving perhaps 110BHP, not the 130-150 bhp that you paid for, which means that the extra 10'000-15'000 that the car cost is now pointless over-cost!

Like paying for a Scirocco and getting a Polo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

If you paid for a high-spec / high performance diesel, then VW downgrade it to NCT spec, then you will find that the engine is now substancially lower in performance.
    I don't think perceptions amongst Irish motorists are going to change until this starts happening.
    When people get their cars back and they don't drive the same, are slower and use more fuel, that's when I predict you're going to start seeing more action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hang on for a second.

If a simple free recall on the car will fix it 100% how come VW are reserving so much money for the resolution of these issues elsewhere?

Despite many claiming that other manufacturers would be exposed for similar test cheating and duping this hasn't happened.

If retained values have taken a hit elsewhere and not here does that mean we know something the rest of the world doesn't?

I suspect the Irish motoring public haven't fully realised the scale of this issue yet.

I'd say it's more to do with protection against litigation (mainly US) along with fines from various Governments (outside the EU). EU probably lower as the home grown car industry is so dominant to the German economy and let's face it Germany is the dominant member of the EU so a company the size of VW that contributes so much to the German/EU economy simply would not be left fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

To be honest, I don't understand why everyone is jumping to vw defence.
    They acted to fool customers on a grand scale, they then attempted to pin the blame a few Engineers within the organisation, all very low acts therefore if a customer can find any angle, be it increased depreciation or altered performance or whatever then in my opinion they should chase that.
    This should cost vw and to be quite honest I hope this fix of a software tweak and flow conditioner is uncovered as the sham that it is.
    Forgetting about compensation, given how this recall has come about, customers should have their cars picked up and returned so as not to inconvenience people at all.
    I don't have an effected car but for me to visit the dealer is a day gone from work. I wouldnt be happy to have to lose out over the cheating of vw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

s15r330 wrote: »
    I think €16,250 is your problem.

+1

OP, you're asking someone to take a big chance on a car/history and seller they know nothing about and with absolutely no comeback if something goes wrong.

From a quick Carzone search you'd get a similar one from a dealer for around the same money (maybe up to another 1/1.5k), with the option to trade in, and a warranty.

Nothing to do with "emissions" (agree with others that that was likely a negotiating tactic) and everything to do with the price you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/07/19/revealed-how-vw-designed-the-greatest-scandal-in-automotive-history.html

In the course of 10 years, VW produced six generations of defeat devices.
    Executives even carefully evaluated what the cost would be to the company if they were caught. Reviewing previous cases of violations of environmental regulations by auto manufacturers in the U.S. they predicted that the likely fines posed “only a moderate cost risk.” They cited the highest fine, imposed against Hyundai/Kia as amounting to “barely $91 per vehicle” and added “fines in this amount are not even remotely capable of influencing the share price of a globally operative company such as Volkswagen.”
    It programmed the OBD systems to falsely report at inspection time that the automobile emissions systems were working properly.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Ok, so I have 12 VW diesel Tiguan, owned from new. 80,000kms. Waterpump failed a little while ago, and decided to change timing belt also at the time. Looking for something newer.
    But heard that the average settlement was $6k in US per car, and like of others have mentioned, VW have told shareholders they have allotted money for settlements in Europe.
    While I am not expecting anything like the US figure, I am wondering if Irish owners can expect anything? I also heard they are preparing to settle in the UK, but their consumer advocates have been putting VW under a lot more pressure to settle and move on. I would not even mind a discount on a trade in against a new model, but in the case of the Tiguan the new model is a lot more expensive then the old model - in my case 15-20% more then what I paid, for a similar spec.
    The trade in price against a non VW I have been offered is probably about right for what I was expecting, but it would kill me if I traded in, and found out in say 2 months after I sold it, that they offered all Irish owners say EUR2k.
    As a by the by, the fuel efficiency was never as good as I was expecting, but I lived with that...
    I might be looking for crystal ball stuff here... so all opinions welcome.

I don't see any pay out happening in Europe, but hey. Who knows.

The US situation is much different as the test fiddled NOX figures which is what gets measured over there.

The money that has been put aside for Europe is for putting the vehicles right as I understand it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭9935452

the spec is as follows:

2012 VW Golf 1.6 tdi
    Met Black Highline spec with DSG & even has a factory RNS510 aboard.
    One owner from new & FSH only thing ever had done in it's life is that bloody upstream O2 sensor @MSL
    Dublin Reg
    Mint eat your dinner condition, I mean no marks on either bodywork or alloys, interiorwise he's a man in his 70's so mostly the only seat sat in is his own these days ;)
    edging 50kms now so it's normal mileage
    I had the car on a the time for 16,250 ONO
    Reason for sale - we wanted the cash therefore private straight cash no dealer loop.

BUT whatever about all that YIZ ARE KINDA MISSING THE POINT lads!

The point I'm making is that ALL of the lads who physically called around to see and take this beautiful unmarked car for a spin cited "the flaw". Two of them walked away worried and the other specifically used it to lowball me - in much the same manner as if the flywheel was on it's way out or something to knock a grand and a half off the car. Compared to the usual experience this was defo different.

They ALL asked the question (which I obv answered as I'm not a liar & showed them the letter from VW) which leads to a discussion about "well shure what kind of a fix is that going to be and shure who knows what other things are going on there and....etc."

I'm a fair fella, even too nice sometimes ;) private selling I expect a bit of to and fro, it's what it's all about so I didn't stand there with my arms folded belligerent about the price ok? And I'm well used to pisstakers and tyrekickers. And when I go to buy a car I always try to get the best deal I can too. The ad and price I had the car up for brought a good few phonecalls and 3 meets before I called a halt. So I think I pitched it fairly. And my conclusion is IT IS A FACTOR and that the car would have been long gone only for it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

End of day this is why I like boards. We all have different opinions about things. And we might even discuss them differently if we met in the pub and were talking about our cars.
    The reason I took the trouble to make this posting is because I wanted to see generally if anyone else had this hassle and felt interested (or not) to make VW Ireland make some kind of recompense for it instead of skulking about quietly like there's nothing to see here. The typical Irish "nothing to see here". I have a good gauge now on where people are with this issue in Ireland and have to say I'm disappointed but not unexpectedly. I think generally we don't love our cars here as much as the lads over the water do (or even up north) or we see them differently maybe, dunno. Oh well thats life!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Regarding the 3 people who looked at the car and walked away.
    It makes you wonder if two of them walked away due to the emissions scandal , why did they bother going out to see the car and test drive it. Regarding the man who lowballed you by 1500, isnt this common practise. I had 2 air tools advertised for 225 a piece which sold for 200 a piece. i had 3 lads who offered me '300 euros for the 2 today in cash'.
    Part of the problem i see is getting finance on a car for sale privately.
    Another problem is the car is a 1.6l not the 2.0l. Personally i wouldnt be interested in a 1.6l.
    The fact that you father is in his 70s could also put people off . When i bought my golf a good few years back, the previous owner was an elderly gentleman. The clutches in his next 3 new cars lasted 15k miles 10k miles and 800 miles. I know its a DSG gearbox but older drivers can be heavy on cars.
    Lastly , does the car have a DPF. The low mileage would say to me there could be problems with the DPF coming soon. The car hasnt been doing diesel mileage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Therefore, the car is no longer the highest spec version , but a pretty standard TDI giving perhaps 110BHP, not the 130-150 bhp that you paid for, which means that the extra 10'000-15'000 that the car cost is now pointless over-cost!

Like paying for a Scirocco and getting a Polo.

Interested in exploring the above a little more. I'm in the process of buying a 2012 Passat diesel. Was aware that it was more than likely involved in the emissions scandal but wasn't overly concerned. However after reading the above I am a little concerned.

The Passat I intend to buy is a 2L diesel, 140 bhp. If I'm reading the above correctly(and indeed the information is accurate) then I'm going to see a drop in performance in this car if and when I get it "corrected"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

They aren't reducing BHP. People just post whatever they want here, rarely back it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭ofcork

VW are being suspended from selling in south korea because of this and being sued by the state of bavaria too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The money that has been put aside for Europe is for putting the vehicles right as I understand it.

They should be made give the owner a brand new model of the car at no cost and then crush the old one

It would be a reasonable deterrent to the others and stop this carry on :
    ..........barely $91 per vehicle” and added “fines in this amount are not even remotely capable of influencing the share price of a globally operative company such as Volkswagen.”

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ah yes a great solution to an environmental scandal. Scrap a perfectly good car and make a new one :rolleyes:

VW make about 40,000 cars every day

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    ..... a perfectly good car

except they're not - when you trade it in, dealers won't be able to get rid of them afterwards

They'll be getting " is that one of the recalled ones "

be like AIDS, no one wants it, can't get rid of it

I think that we've already established there is no problem with second hand VW's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

I think that we've already established there is no problem with second hand VW's.

We have but there will always be idiots

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

They aren't reducing BHP. People just post whatever they want here, rarely back it up.

Can you back that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Gazzmonkey wrote: »
    Like VW and their legion of Irish followers who would buy from them if Hitler himself was CEO..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,138 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Like VW and their legion of Irish followers who would buy from them if Hitler himself was CEO..

e31.jpg

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

There will always idiots willing to let them get away with this carry-on :

In the course of 10 years, VW produced six generations of defeat devices.

Executives even carefully evaluated what the cost would be to the company if they were caught.

......... “barely $91 per vehicle” and added “fines in this amount are not even remotely capable of influencing the share price of a globally operative company such as Volkswagen.”

Unlike Korea, fined them 16 million and revoked certification of 32 types and 80 models

http://nyti.ms/2afN0Es

“A cargo ship is coming but the cars with the revoked certification numbers can’t pass customs,” said a Volkswagen Korea spokeswoman. “Those cars may have to be shipped back.”

http://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-faces-south-korean-ban-on-vehicle-sales-1470105191

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

gctest50 wrote: »
    There will always idiots willing to let them get away with this carry-on :

Unlike Korea, fined them 16 million and revoked certification of 32 types and 80 models

http://nyti.ms/2afN0Es

Do Korea manufacture cars - like Hyundai and Kia? Would banning VW cars help sale of their own cars? Thought so.

I think it's naive to suggest that there's no problem in relation to affected VW diesel cars simply because they are located in Ireland.

There's clearly is a global problem with these vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Do Korea manufacture cars - like Hyundai and Kia? Would banning VW cars help sale of their own cars? Thought so.

;) I'd say you believe that the strict CO2 and lax NOx/pm EU limits are for the good of the environment too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,190 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I drove my Passat diesel into a pothole, I'm suing everyone.

I think it's naive to suggest that there's no problem in relation to affected VW diesel cars simply because they are located in Ireland.

There's clearly is a global problem with these vehicles.

There is no problem in relation to their value in Europe based on sales over the past 3-6 months. There may be an issue in the US but as I've said before, the US is a slightly different case given how they measure NOX emissions.

The main issue i see with these cars is the unknown factor in relation to the "fix" I.E. Will the new Mass airflow meter reduce fuel consumption, with the software update reduce BHP etc.

There is no problem in relation to their value in Europe based on sales over the past 3-6 months. There may be an issue in the US but as I've said before, the US is a slightly different case given how they measure NOX emissions.

The main issue i see with these cars is the unknown factor in relation to the "fix" I.E. Will the new Mass airflow meter reduce fuel consumption, with the software update reduce BHP etc.

None so far but I foresee trouble down the line. I think used values will suffer.

Unknown is right, and uncertainty will inevitably lead to reduced confidence and value.

VW have to pay enormous amounts for their "cheating" and that should/will filter through imho.

Well I was about to buy a 2012 Passat from a main dealer in the coming days but this thread is putting some doubts in my mind.

I am buying fully aware of the emissions scandal and realise that the car I will be buying is one of them. Not a huge deal for me in itself and the second hand value of the cars doesn't seem to affected.

However I will really have to consider if I am throwing away some of the money if the resale value could potentially plummet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

adox wrote: »
    Well I was about to buy a 2012 Passat from a main dealer in the coming days but this thread is putting some doubts in my mind.

I am buying fully aware of the emissions scandal and realise that the car I will be buying is one of them. Not a huge deal for me in itself and the second hand value of the cars doesn't seem to affected.

However I will really have to consider if I am throwing away some of the money if the resale value could potentially plummet.

This post alone is evidence of the scandal having an effect. Imagine the difficulty now in trying to shift one of these privately when a clued in buyer who, from having read this thread alone is more up to speed on the issue than the general population is now second thinking a purchase from a main dealer.

mickdw wrote: »
    This post alone is evidence of the scandal having an effect. Imagine the difficulty now in trying to shift one of these privately when a clued in buyer who, from having read this thread alone is more up to speed on the issue than the general population is now second thinking a purchase from a main dealer.

That is exactly my thinking now. The seed is planted - because of lack of transparency of what VW is doing...

I think the effect is caused not by the clued, but clueless buyers. Clued will just take advantage of it...

• Advertisement

grogi wrote: »
    That is exactly my thinking now. The seed is planted - because of lack of transparency of what VW is doing...

I think the effect is caused not by the clued, but clueless buyers. Clued will just take advantage of it...

What does that mean? :confused:

I intend to hold on to whatever car I buy in the coming days for at least 4-5 years so I still may end up buying the Passat despite my reservations.

Advertisement