Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread VI: End of the MOC [Revenge of the STH]

Comments

Season tickets can be made available via the Leinster ticket exchange.

Individual games, somewhere like toutless is your best option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Tox56 wrote: »
    With one notable exception calling those posts "MOC is sh*t" posts is as broad and unfair as labelling the posts defending him as "MOC can do no wrong" posts. There is actually thought and reasoning going into them

Yep, some of them are very well argued. Others not so much. Others are just plain bananas.

I'm just sick of the whole thing. We're playing a relatively important game at the weekend. I'd rather discuss that. I'd rather discuss who might be here next season, I'd rather discuss the size of Nacewa's belly, just anything tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Hello. Firstly I'm not trying to sell tickets here, just looking for direction.

Is there an official route for Leinster fans to sell their unwanted tickets?

I'm not with the supporters club and bought tickets via ticketmaster

There's a subforum on Leinster fans.com

So Te'o is in the frame to start this one? The way Fitz has defended at 13, and the fact they've a brilliant attacking 13, would make sense to me to start Fitz there. I've taken no enjoyment from watching Leinster over the last 2 months or so so haven't really done any sort of in-depth look at anything, how has Te'o been overall? My one glance at games would say he's been getting over the gainline well enough, but how's his defence been?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

So Te'o is in the frame to start this one? The way Fitz has defended at 13, and the fact they've a brilliant attacking 13, would make sense to me to start Fitz there. I've taken no enjoyment from watching Leinster over the last 2 months or so so haven't really done any sort of in-depth look at anything, how has Te'o been overall? My one glance at games would say he's been getting over the gainline well enough, but how's his defence been?

His defence hasn't been stellar (41 tackles made, 7 missed in 2015) but it hasn't been something where we've been notably exposed either. I would say the area where he stands out as not really knowing what to do is the breakdown and that's to be expected.

While I share some of the dubiousness regarding his selection, his presence would mean we get our best attacking players on the field. His work in attack has been impressive. Not only has he been getting over the gain line but he has great awareness around him for the offload and soft hands. I posted his attacking stats in his starts in 2015 on the other thread:
    In his 6 starts in 2015, Ben Te'o has beaten 27 defenders and made 11 clean breaks

To put that in context, here are the combined stats of the players who played 11, 12, 14 and 15 in those games:

52 defenders beaten, 21 clean breaks.

When he's giving us 50% of what the rest of the back line is giving us in those isolated areas (and it's generally easier to beat a defender in the back 3 than it is in midfield), he makes a very strong case for inclusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Have you got knock on stats for Teo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Buer has been responsible for 87% of the usage of scrum.com's stats page since the website was redesigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Look at post 201 above

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Synode wrote: »
    Look at post 201 above

... Why?

• Advertisement

Someone was asking about a ticket. I'm guessing you've deleted it or I've posted in the wrong thread

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I don't mod this forum, so I can't delete anything :)

Right so, posted in the wrong thread :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Sky just said Toulon-Leinster is on Sunday 19th at 3.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Korat

It would be the biggest upset since Leinster turned over Toulouse back in '06 was it? Hickie's length of the field try.

Michalak contributed to Leinster's win that day.

Starting Madigan at 10 is the only way Leinster have a hope of surprising Toulon.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Korat wrote: »
    It would be the biggest upset since Leinster turned over Toulouse back in '06 was it? Hickie's length of the field try.

Starting Madigan at 10 is the only way Leinster have a hope of surprising Toulon.

Madigan can't control games at the best of times and has no hope when his pack is on the back foot we'd be destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭Heroditas

If we beat Toulon, it'll be an even bigger shock than 06 in my opinion.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Madigan can't control games at the best of times and has no hope when his pack is on the back foot we'd be destroyed.

Leinster have 5 of Ireland's, 3rd ranked in the World back to back 6N champions, first choice pack, with another 4 of this season's replacements. Parity up front is a reasonable expectation.

Gopperth disappeared for much of the game yesterday and Madigan missed so many tackles at 12 Paddy Wallace was laughing. Wrong men in the wrong places.

George Ford exposed Leinster in the same way Madigan is the best shot of exposing Toulon.

You might as well lose by 50 than not try at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

I thought Wasps did well on the second half. Toulon just keep coming at you. There was a spell where Wasps milled them in a few scrums. A slight chink of hope...maybe.
    We definitely need to bring our A game for 80 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

They have a big, old pack if indeed that one plays against us, with an average (by top European level) front row. Our only real hope is to go after them up front.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

wowy wrote: »
    Sky just said Toulon-Leinster is on Sunday 19th at 3.15.

Interesting if true because BT were advertising earlier that they had the Sunday semi-final but they supposedly have first pick on English sides which would mean passing Clermont v Saracens?

• Advertisement

icdg wrote: »
    Interesting if true because BT were advertising earlier that they had the Sunday semi-final but they supposedly have first pick on English sides which would mean passing Clermont v Saracens?

Definitely Sunday, Sky put it up after the Toulon match.

icdg wrote: »

No way BT aren't covering Sarries. That will be a circle-jerk of earth shattering proportions if today's coverage is anything to go by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Yeah, our game is on Sky...best of a bad bunch.
    Everything is so sensationalized, it's like tabloid tv.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Obviously just a bit of jumping the gun by BT so. Makes more sense for them to have the Saturday game, in their regular PRL slot at 3:15pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

George Ford exposed Leinster in the same way Madigan is the best shot of exposing Toulon.

Madigan isn't capable of exposing a defence the way George Ford exposed Leinster yesterday. George Ford reads the game brilliantly and has time on the ball, Madigan doesn't. Neither does Gopperth mind.

If Matt O'Connor can engineer a win over Toulon, I'll donate all my spare time to assisting Anzac Day Ozzifications of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think making this SF will finish off our chances of getting into the league play-offs. Just a 5 day turnaround now until Ulster away. We need something out of all 4 remaining matches to have a hope of a playoff spot.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    I think making this SF will finish off our chances of getting into the league play-offs. Just a 5 day turnaround now until Ulster away. We need something out of all 4 remaining matches to have a hope of a playoff spot.

I hope we're not thinking that way. Europe absolute priority for me.

Hagz wrote: »
    Madigan isn't capable of exposing a defence the way George Ford exposed Leinster yesterday. George Ford reads the game brilliantly and has time on the ball, Madigan doesn't. Neither does Gopperth mind.

I'd have said spotting a gap in a defence and speeding through it was one of Madigan's main strengths?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

I hope we're not thinking that way. Europe absolute priority for me.

That's nice in theory but a valiant SF loss and no playoffs in the league is realistically what we're looking at by prioritising Europe. I'm not even saying that's necessarily the wrong way to go but that's basically what we're looking at, which is pretty depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd have said spotting a gap in a defence and speeding through it was one of Madigan's main strengths?

Breaking the line himself is one of his main strengths, engineering a gap or mismatch for someone else doesn't seem remotely as common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I'd have to disagree. I don't really have any abiding memories of Madigan doing anything similar to what George Ford did yesterday, aside from his try at the start of this season against Scarlets. I do think Madigan has a powerful step off his inside and he's caused defences a lot of problems with that (mainly in the early stages of his career), but I don't think that's the same thing. I don't think that involves reading defences, just explosive power. Aside from not having the same amount of time on the ball or reading defences as well, I would also say that George Ford is significantly quicker that Ian Madigan as well.

Ian Madigan is our Campese.

I was trying to figure out your comment and then I realised what you must be referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5GKgD5d2Ec&t=4m20s

Buer wrote: »
    I was trying to figure out your comment and then I realised what you must be referring to.

Yep, that's Campo.

The modern game never allows that kind of freedom.

Ian Madigan is a player from a different age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Ah here.

Yep, that's Campo.

The modern game never allows that kind of freedom.

Ian Madigan is a player from a different age.

Ian Madigan is not David Campese.

Lets call a spade a spade. Madigan is much, much closer to Shane Geraghty or Ryan Lamb as a player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Breaking the line himself is one of his main strengths, engineering a gap or mismatch for someone else doesn't seem remotely as common.

That's exactly it - nailed. He always seems to try to go himself when there is a gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

vienne86 wrote: »
    . He always seems to try to go himself when there is a gap.

And also, when there isn't a gap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I assume Leinster will be allowed to field their strongest side for Dragons? I think they'll need to have a consistent selection with a view to Marseille.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm looking at getting tickets for the SF. The cheap seats are already on sale but did anyone know yet where the Leinster fans will be sitting?

I assume Leinster will be allowed to field their strongest side for Dragons? I think they'll need to have a consistent selection with a view to Marseille.

Why wouldn't they be allowed? There's no restrictions on the internationals for the rest of the season is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

I'm looking at getting tickets for the SF. The cheap seats are already on sale but did anyone know yet where the Leinster fans will be sitting?

Leinster are selling tickets from 10 a.m. this morning. Any STH will be able to tell you where the tickets are being sold and there is sure to be discussion here as people buy.

It'll be interesting to see how many travel - I went to Toulon last year, but it was such a damp squib that I would find it hard to get the enthusiasm to go again this year.....in any event, I don't think I could make it.

The two week turnaround is a pain in the nuts for organising travel.

Paddy Power have Toulon as eleven point favourites.

Same day return flights were €550 with Aerlingus yesterday before Toulon had won the game, they're probably about €700 by now.

• Advertisement

Yeah there won't be any restrictions but O'Connor has a call to make as to whether he plays everyone this week, then again in Toulon, then a five day turnaround to the Ulster game.

Personally I'd play the strongest team possible at Dragons, we need to build more cohesion, especially in midfield.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Same day return flights were €550 with Aerlingus yesterday before Toulon had won the game, they're probably about €700 by now.

Saturday - Sunday is €336.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm thinking more the 33 or 16 euro seats given this months budget.

I'm thinking more the 33 or 16 euro seats given this months budget.

The prices are typical really from what I've seen. The cheap seats are very cheap but the most expensive are insane!

http://www.digitick.com/rc-toulon-leinster-sport-stade-velodrome-marseille-19-avril-2015-css5-rct-pg101-ri3156986.html

Saturday - Sunday is €336.

My dad was checking during the toulon match but was maybe only checking Saturday but was definitely €550, did they lay on extra flights?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement