Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread too point uh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Stheno wrote: »
    When it based on? Have seen trailers but am dubious

That said I don't like father Ted so if it a that type of humour it'll be gack

Early 90s. The first season was 1990.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

molloyjh wrote: »
    Early 90s. The first season was 1990.

Will give it a go so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You lads watch an awful lot of television!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,180 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't really watch any television but I do like to sit down for a box set and eat up a show in a month or so. I find many shows die a death though after a couple of seasons. I find shows really struggle to maintain quality over a few years. My latest effort was The Walking Dead. Got through the first 3 seasons but it was fading badly, I thought, at that point and haven't watched after that.

Will start on Better Call Saul now soon. Breaking Bad was the last show I was probably able to sit down and watch from start to finish (not counting GoT which is ongoing).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

If ye looking for new boxset to watch, look no further than Hannibal lads - Season 2 is probably my favourite season of a TV Show I've ever seen

• Advertisement

Buer wrote: »
    I don't really watch any television but I do like to sit down for a box set and eat up a show in a month or so. I find many shows die a death though after a couple of seasons. I find shows really struggle to maintain quality over a few years. My latest effort was The Walking Dead. Got through the first 3 seasons but it was fading badly, I thought, at that point and haven't watched after that.

Will start on Better Call Saul now soon. Breaking Bad was the last show I was probably able to sit down and watch from start to finish (not counting GoT which is ongoing).

The Walking Dead is one of the few I would turn the TV on for. There was a general agreement that season 2 was poor, but it's picked up a good bit since then. There have been slight lulls in parts, a chunk of the first half of season 4 wasn't great, but overall its been really good I think. It changes things up every couple of seasons. But the second half of season 4 and all of season 5 were really good. It gets incredibly dark around those episodes. I was worried towards the end of season 5 that it was going to just be a repeat of some of the stuff we'd seen up to then but they didn't fall into that trap. And from the sounds of it season 6 changes it up again.

wp_rathead wrote: »
    If ye looking for new boxset to watch, look no further than Hannibal lads - Season 2 is probably my favourite season of a TV Show I've ever seen

Yeah it's a good show and season 2 is excellent. Really tense in parts. It actually gets mixed reviews so not sure it's for everyone but I very much enjoyed the show and whilst parts of it are a little unhinged it is over all very interesting.

Also meant to be brilliant if you are into food. I like food, but I wouldn't be artsy about it- more git in mah belly than quiefing over a quiche.

Zzippy wrote: »
    You lads watch an awful lot of television!

I can sometimes fit other activities like work and the odd night out into my life of TV shows

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I'd be like you, I don't have a TV connection at all, couldn't be bothered, just watch box sets. Most shows go through a dodgy season, especially around season 3, the wire did that and then turned it around for 4-5, even Breaking bad Season 3 lagged a little in the first half but finished strongly, season 5 of SOA was cack and nearly put me off watching the rest.

Cannot wait for Suicide Squad
    CDZbuEiUUAAtGQb.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Joe Schmidt really is some man. Came to the Anzac service today in Christchurch, laid the wreath, that's all fairly standard. But I was one of the last to leave the post service reception around 7, and he was still there just chatting away to people. Getting in photos, massive smile and all the works. If he goes back to school management after coaching I know where I am sending my kids :)

Cannot wait for Suicide Squad
    CDZbuEiUUAAtGQb.jpg

Ehr. mmm.

Looks like someone that worked for Concern stopping people on the street and eventually lost it becoming a misunderstood vegan barrista who doesn't speak to his perfectly sound parents, likes to write the words "I don't even..." and is aggressively vocal about women's issues.

Apparently the tattoo's were just a homage to past jokers and wont actually be in the film. Or at least that's what they were saying since this image has been universally derided.

Saw Avengers. Enjoyable romp but not as good as the first one. The action scenes were too messy bordering on Michael Bay-esque mania at times. It was hard to discern what was happening on occasion.

Did see the trailer for the new Fantastic 4 reboot which looked good. That and Ant Man coming out in July will see a big summer for Marvel.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ehr. mmm.

Looks like someone that worked for Concern stopping people on the street and eventually lost it becoming a misunderstood vegan barrista who doesn't speak to his perfectly sound parents, likes to write the words "I don't even..." and is aggressively vocal about women's issues.

Apparently the tattoo's were just a homage to past jokers and wont actually be in the film. Or at least that's what they were saying since this image has been universally derided.

really? folk I know love it..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I like it. I like the fact they're bringing the dc characters into something a bit more contemporary - let's be honest, the original joker is very hard to replicate in modern media without being totally camp. Heath ledgers was perfect. But they can't just replicate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Saw Avengers. Enjoyable romp but not as good as the first one. The action scenes were too messy bordering on Michael Bay-esque mania at times. It was hard to discern what was happening on occasion.

Did see the trailer for the new Fantastic 4 reboot which looked good. That and Ant Man coming out in July will see a big summer for Marvel.

Just saw it tonight and thought the opposite, thought it was way better than the first one and the pacing throughout was excellent, enough time to digest but not enough to get distracted. The action scenes at the end are chaotic but still manageable with grouping to try tie all the character strands together, it is very fast paced in the last half an hour but I wouldn't have thought messy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I know Zac Snyder is going to **** up Batman v Superman but I'm still looking forward to it way more than the Avengers. Batman is just more interesting than "real" superheroes.

Superman is absolutely terrible. Name me one good franchise with him in it

Superman is absolutely terrible. Name me one good franchise with him in it

Justice League cartoon is great if you wanna count that?
    I'll agree that I think the Superman character itself sucks, rather one dimensional

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    Just saw it tonight and thought the opposite, thought it was way better than the first one and the pacing throughout was excellent, enough time to digest but not enough to get distracted. The action scenes at the end are chaotic but still manageable with grouping to try tie all the character strands together, it is very fast paced in the last half an hour but I wouldn't have thought messy.

Saw it last night and was pretty disappointed tbh. The word "filler" sprang to mind. It was all just a bit meh. I'd agree that the actions scenes were a bit frantic too, but not only that the whole story seemed frantic to me. I found myself just not giving a damn the longer it went on.
    I mean at what point do the Governments of Earth just say, here listen Avengers thanks but can you please f off now? I mean seriously, how much damage do they need to cause? They create Ultron who then goes on a rampage and it takes a massive fight in a densely populated area (again) to stop him destroying the world. Thankfully though there are no repercussions!? And over the course of the film the Avengers get pulled apart only to come back together again in time to save the day. That seems a bit familiar. For me there were far too many good guys at the end all distracting you from the last one. Sometimes less is more and I think that film is a real case in point.

Don't worry, Molloy, they've signed on for two more Avengers films to rectify their errors!
    While I thought Ultron was a decent villain, the whole robotic/cyber villain thing is hard to pull off. James Spader's voice was great for it but you don't really get the same rapport. Loki/Tom Hiddlestone was possibly the best thing in the last film being an evil little sh*t as well as adding a lot of the humour to the film which was lacking in this one, I thought.

Don't worry, Molloy, they've signed on for two more Avengers films to rectify their errors!
    While I thought Ultron was a decent villain, the whole robotic/cyber villain thing is hard to pull off. James Spader's voice was great for it but you don't really get the same rapport. Loki/Tom Hiddlestone was possibly the best thing in the last film being an evil little sh*t as well as adding a lot of the humour to the film which was lacking in this one, I thought.

They did seem to try and bring that humour in at times in this one too, but it just didn't work for me at all.

Justice League cartoon is great if you wanna count that?
    I'll agree that I think the Superman character itself sucks, rather one dimensional

For the sake of me winning the argument, I do not want to count that :pac:

Although I'm probably going to see Batman VS Superman. I'm really intrigued as to how they could be enemies.

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

76959744e152e16e6e7b869324354626.jpeg

Paddy Power's gay marriage ad. :pac:

Bloody hell. Have to laugh at their balls!

Fair bit of footage/pictures floating around of Yes campaign tearing down No campaign posters. Idiots. I will go out on a limb and say the bulk of us are voting yes but doing this sort of thing undermines the campaign and makes hypocrites out of them.

There was a debate on the referendum in UCD recently where a load of the No campaign literature was torn down and binned. Silly stuff.

Twitter in its trademark melt down over it
    I actually thought was pretty funny and clever use of the phrase "our day will come"

• Administrators Posts: 53,393 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Twitter in its trademark melt down over it
    I actually thought was pretty funny and clever use of the phrase "our day will come"

PP responded to the twitter moaning:

"Don't talk to us, talk to Joe" :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Genius

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭b.gud

For the sake of me winning the argument, I do not want to count that :pac:

Although I'm probably going to see Batman VS Superman. I'm really intrigued as to how they could be enemies. will be best buds by the end of the movie so that DC can make a Justice League movie

FYP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement