Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respawn Jedi Fallen Order

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I've not been impressed with the recent footage of the game. I think it looks clunky and the combat doesn't look to have the free flowing light sabery goodness I'd want in a game like this.

It's still Respawn so I'm holding out hope I'm wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There were way too many invocations of other genres & games in that video, feels like excessive hype IMO; between Dark Souls, Jedi Knight, Metroidvania and so on.

I've not been impressed with the recent footage of the game. I think it looks clunky and the combat doesn't look to have the free flowing light sabery goodness I'd want in a game like this.

It's still Respawn so I'm holding out hope I'm wrong.

Yeah I agree. It could be a good game, just doesn't look like it should be a star wars game. If that light saber was a sword, it would look right. Doesn't have the right weight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm looking forward to it. I enjoyed the last two Star Wars films, so i clearly don't need it to actually be good for me to enjoy it :P

This launches Friday, and reviews not out until then.
    EA being EA again.
    I like Respawn though but always wary with the greedy EA in the background.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I am intensely curious about this one: it's arguable that the Star Wars gaming license is in the doldrums at the moment, at least among the ... I dunno, emotionally invested demographics of gamers & its media. Battlefront 2 was a hot mess (no idea what the online number are like), while the sheer poverty of Star Wars games is itself a factor; gone are the days of a myriad of interesting genres and titles, sad really. One could argue that Jedi Order needs to be as much a critical success as a commercial one, so an embargo on reviews hardly sends out hugely positive signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

This launches Friday, and reviews not out until then.
    EA being EA again.
    I like Respawn though but always wary with the greedy EA in the background.

Im very wary of any publisher that does not allow reviews to be published before release date. I shall be waiting for the reviews first.

But, am I right in thinking or just very out of touch, that im not hearing that much about it at the moment? Is all the attention currently focused on other games?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Yeah, not releasing reviews is a massive warning sign for me, and anyone pre-ordering it deserves for it to be ****e :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,110 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I've heard a decent amount about it - but then I do listen to a number of gaming podcasts. The feedback on it has been really good so far, from what I have heard. Sounds like it is shaping up to be a very good game.

I do find it hard to buy EA games though, as I have EA Access, so I will get it for free in 6 or 8 months if I just wait...

Im very wary of any publisher that does not allow reviews to be published before release date. I shall be waiting for the reviews first.

But, am I right in thinking or just very out of touch, that im not hearing that much about it at the moment? Is all the attention currently focused on other games?

Death Stranding taking center stage. The hype surrounding a Kojima game normally does that, factor in that it's one of the most divisive games ever means it's gotten some incredible publicity (good or bad).

Regardless the name alone (As in Star Wars) will always sell. Factor in the movie coming out I'd say it will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Death Stranding taking center stage. The hype surrounding a Kojima game normally does that, factor in that it's one of the most divisive games ever means it's gotten some incredible publicity (good or bad).

Regardless the name alone (As in Star Wars) will always sell. Factor in the movie coming out I'd say it will be fine.

Im reading this in Tom Hanks voice, its quite comforting.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Am I correct in thinking that there is no multiplayer in this whatsoever? If so that gives me some hope for it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Am I correct in thinking that there is no multiplayer in this whatsoever? If so that gives me some hope for it at least.

Yeah its single player only

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The idea of Dark souls in the star wars universe is very appealing to me, the fact that there's no reviews out early are enough to keep me away for the time being. A pity too, as its quite cheap to preorder (€47)on cdkeys for xbox.
    https://www.cdkeys.com/xbox-live/games/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-deluxe-edition-xbox-one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I've EA premium so I'll just wait for it to release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Wont be buying until the reviews come but I have high Hope's

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Wont be buying until the reviews come but I have high Hope's

Same here. Also looks like there are a few leaked videos going around as the game file has been leaked. Just saw a clip of some of the combat which looks cool

Review embargo. It's bad. What a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Review embargo. It's bad. What a shame.

There have been games with a review embargo which were still great games. It's never a great sign, but at the same time it's not indicative that the game is bad. Just best to hold off until reviews are out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,278 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Niska wrote: »

Well that's more troubling than the review embargo imo. I'd also wonder if that breaks the T&Cs of EA Access, if people were told they'd get trial access to all EA games, though I presume they'd have some get-out clause for that. Have they done it with any other game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm waiting for this but I'm a bit concerned about DS references (yeah, I know) - will it feature the same mechanics as DS? I mean grind/farm one section until the next, one chance to recover dropped loot?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Review embargo, no early access trial, looks like EA might be very worried about the reception here.

Mind you the same was being said about Doom 2016 which launched in a similar situation and look how that turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The Dark Souls thing comes from the part where you can sit by a fire. Also some similarities to the linear worlds in DS. It's not open world. And the bosses require learning some timing.

They could have done EA Access trial like with Mirrors Edge and let you play for ten hours but only access the first two chapters.

Combat looks identical to dark souls. The metrovoidvania aspects are in darksouls too. I think the comparison is warranted.

Also something that looks like estus flasks

What's the thought process behind an embargo? I can't see past anything other than a bad game being protected so there are impulsive sales

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Niska

For the DS comparissons:

Meditation Points = Campfires (health and health kits restored, baddies respawn)

XP is lost when killed but can be regained by striking the mob that killed you (don't have to kill it)
    If you’re killed by a foe during the game, you will lose all the XP you’ve gained from the previous skill level to them. The Restore system (which is what the game dubbed it) allows you to claim it back, as well as filling up your health and Force Meter, if you manage to land a strike on that enemy when you next respawn into the game.

(From: https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-xp-recovery-system-works-like-echoes-in-bloodborne/)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Niska wrote: »
    For the DS comparissons:

Meditation Points = Campfires (health and health kits restored, baddies respawn)

XP is lost when killed but can be regained by striking the mob that killed you (don't have to kill it)

(From: https://www.gamesradar.com/star-wars-jedi-fallen-order-xp-recovery-system-works-like-echoes-in-bloodborne/)

Apparently the enemies respawn when you rest at the campfires too.

How commonly are review embargoes broken these days? There any chance an outlet might actually "leak" their review for the sake of publicity?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

pixelburp wrote: »
    How commonly are review embargoes broken these days? There any chance an outlet might actually "leak" their review for the sake of publicity?

Doesn't happen. The bigger outfits are too professional and the smaller ones and Youtube channels are too frightened of losing their access and free games.

Advertisement