Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Respawn Jedi Fallen Order

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Late embargo or not in this case, anyone who decides to buy a game before reading reviews - whether they’re released a week beforehand or on the day - deserves the 60 quid hit if the game turns out to be ****e :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Late embargo or not in this case, anyone who decides to buy a game before reading reviews - whether they’re released a week beforehand or on the day - deserves the 60 quid hit if the game turns out to be ****e :p

If it was something like the division or destiny , the fear of getting left behind is real, with a single player focused thing like this, there's really no need to be preordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I live life on the edge and blindly pre ordered a ps5 from gamestop. Yolo :)

As for embargos they are often used in place of a big marketing drive. Outside of word of mouth this is a really quiet release for a star wars game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

If it was something like the division or destiny , the fear of getting left behind is real, with a single player focused thing like this, there's really no need to be preordering.

I wouldn't preorder at full price, but the GS offer of €10 plus old game (total cost €30 max) a few months ago was way too tempting. Even if it's pants I can get that back after a few weeks from CEX, probably even make a little profit. My only 'problem' is finding time to play as I just got Death Stranding too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Cordell wrote: »
    I'm waiting for this but I'm a bit concerned about DS references (yeah, I know) - will it feature the same mechanics as DS? I mean grind/farm one section until the next, one chance to recover dropped loot?

I hope so :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭Cordell

It certainly looks like so, such is life :)
    So I'll pay full price on Steam so I will be able to refund if needed :D

Multiple good reasons for embargos. Prevents media putting out a review just to be first, with or without playing the game. Prevents reviews of incomplete games.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,817 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Niska wrote: »

What's the campaign time on it? If it's similar to Titanfall 2 then you could probably blast through it in the 10 hours and that would affect sales.

This is a single player game, unlike TF2 which is a multiplayer game with a single player campaign. So it has to be (much) more than that.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It doesn't have to be anything :)

It certainly should be mind you, but that's a very different thing.

I'm not at all happy about all this "Dark Souls" references. I fking hate the Dark Souls games.

• Advertisement

I hate them too. Although I didn't mind the rest with respawn of enemies and revenge quests in Shadow of Mordor, but did not like it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,486 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've no interest in star wars but the dark souls comparison has me very intrigued in this. I believe it won't be a patch on it difficulty wise but I'm like l liking the sound of the mechanics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,817 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Penn wrote: »
    Well that's more troubling than the review embargo imo. I'd also wonder if that breaks the T&Cs of EA Access, if people were told they'd get trial access to all EA games, though I presume they'd have some get-out clause for that. Have they done it with any other game?

Oh they're covered!
    EA reserves the right to change and update the EA Access Services, and the EA Content offered through the EA Access Services without any liability to you. Vault titles are subject to change and may be removed, and the online services for certain Vault titles may be discontinued. In the event that EA changes the EA Access Services, including the removal of Vault titles or discontinuation of online services for certain Vault titles, we will provide 30 days advance notice to you by posting a notice on https://www.ea.com/ea-access/terms/service-vault-updates.

I don't think anyone is against embargoes, it's late embargoes that people are wary of. Very rarely do late embargoes actually hide a good game. Even Doom 2016 - which had no review copies sent out - was held back because the devs and Bethesda admitted they thought it would flop.

Perhaps in EA's case they are just especially nervous when it comes to the Star Wars IP because of their sordid history with it. They are probably paranoid that the critics will have knives out due to leftover resentment from Battlefront II and won't judge the game fairly...or it really could just be the game is trash. We'll see.

I was fully against embargoes earlier in the thread. I presumed it meant **** game.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,259 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Embargos always rile me up the wrong way, im hoping this game is good. My heart cant handle another awful Star Wars game

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Just got sent a deal there for this 20% off already.......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Rob2D wrote: »
    Just got sent a deal there for this 20% off already.......

Where is that??

It's out in New Zealand so the first few streams have shown up. I won't embed this so you have to click out to avoid spoilers but this is the first hours or so but skip to about 20 min mark if you just want to see some combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdbaMH1igTM

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

It's out in New Zealand so the first few streams have shown up. I won't embed this so you have to click out to avoid spoilers but this is the first hours or so but skip to about 20 min mark if you just want to see some combat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdbaMH1igTM

looks ok in fairness. I'm still going to hold off until I see a few reviews though.

Any way to play on PC early? VPN?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got the duluxe for 50 on cd keys for xbox one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Watched the opening, Is that the hu playing at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭KilOit

Ign
    9 -gave it a glowing review

84 on PS4, 85 on XBOX, and 90 on PC on metacritic from around 20 reviews. Seems to be a hit.

Respawn are a top Dev

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Looking good anyway. Will get stuck into it this week, after seeing those reviews.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Eurogamer review less than enthusiastic. Said they were bored for a lot of it and the story is drivel.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

While others seem to be saying the story is pretty good. It's like reviews are subjective or something :P

To be fair, i was probably going to play this regardless of the reviews. It's Star Wars...and while that's not quite as important to me anymore, it's still Star Wars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Kiith wrote: »
    While others seem to be saying the story is pretty good. It's like reviews are subjective or something :P

To be fair, i was probably going to play this regardless of the reviews. It's Star Wars...and while that's not quite as important to me anymore, it's still Star Wars :)

Yeah for me this is one of those "A family member asked me what I want for Xmas and I can't think of anything so I'll just pick this game. F*ck it, it'll do" kind of games. Not hyped in the least about it, but might be a decent enough playthrough. Most reviews are generally positive enough.

• Advertisement
Advertisement