Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty in the Morning Lyric FM

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

Enjoyed "Sunrise" by Norah Jones as I set out on my run this morning.

Think Marty was thinking of me when he played Kenny Roger’s Ruby!
    Lots of Moon related pieces this morning: Benedictus (Karl Jenkins), and Dvorak’s Song to the Moon (Renee Fleming).

Edit: Marty finished the show with All The best from John Prine who died yesterday. It was lovely - embarrassed to say I don't know any of his music. Going to remedy that.

Marty continued the Moon theme with the very beautiful Moonlight Sonata this morning. He also played All The Best for the second day running (and I couldn't complain about that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭hawley

Marty is often on Rising Time with Shay Byrne on Radio 1 at about quarter to seven. He was on again this morning. He drops in when he's passing the studio and has a bit of craic with Shay. He absolutely rips him apart most mornings, Shay doesn't have a clue what's going on and Marty really lays into him. He's actually incredibly witty in that type of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

hawley wrote: »
    Marty is often on Rising Time with Shay Byrne on Radio 1 at about quarter to seven. He was on again this morning. He drops in when he's passing the studio and has a bit of craic with Shay. He absolutely rips him apart most mornings, Shay doesn't have a clue what's going on and Marty really lays into him. He's actually incredibly witty in that type of situation.

I have heard the BANTER a couple of times. It's really annoying I think.
    Glad you like it though. Variety of opinion is very important.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

In these hard times, Marty keeps the mood up, his morning show is a perfect mix of music and news in these hard times.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dolly darling

I can't remember the name of Marty's sub this week but he played "Smile" by Nat King Cole this morning (I never knew that Charlie Chaplin wrote this beautiful song!)

Mathieu is in for Marty for the week Dolly. I think he's my favourite of the sub presenters. He has a nice easygoing way about him. Today, I wasn't complaining when he played Boccherini's Minuet & La Mer.

It's been a while since I heard Life from Einaudi. I find it quite an emotional piece to listen to.

Enjoyed "Georgia On My Mind" (Ray Charles) this morning.

• Advertisement

Only caught a bit of today's programme but liked Kiri Te Kanawa's "Un bel di Vedremo"(Madame Butterfly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dolly darling

Marty finished today's show reading the poem, "Leisure" by William Henry Davies and playing Louis Armstrong "We Have All The Time In The World." Beautiful.

Among the music played this morning was "Always On My Mind" to mark Willie Nelson's birthday and Handel's beautiful "Largo".

Someone close to me used to love Inspector Morse and it was a trip down memory lane to hear the show's theme played this morning. It was followed by The Love Theme from The Godfather so I'm badly in need of a coffee (& a tissue) now.

Bought Eimear Quinn's "The Watchman" after hearing it on Marty's Show last week (She has a gorgeous voice).
    Only heard snippets of today's show but enjoyed "The People's House" (John Williams) which I hadn't heard in an age.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bob Dylan's Hurricane before 8am...I'm down with that.

Uncensored too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Anyone catch who that ‘watching the world through a window’ song was by? Marty said it after it played but couldn’t hear due to noisy kids.

The tide is turning…

Anyone catch who that ‘watching the world through a window’ song was by? Marty said it after it played but couldn’t hear due to noisy kids.

Hi Emmet,
    I just checked the playlist on the Lyric FM's website: it was "World From A Window" by Ultan Conlon. Only getting a chance to go on Boards now, but enjoyed yesterday's show. Marty played two Billy Joel songs as it's his birthday today. I have always loved "She's Always A Woman" but hadn't heard "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant" before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Ruby Ring wrote: »
    Hi Emmet,
    I just checked the playlist on the Lyric FM's website: it was "World From A Window" by Ultan Conlon. Only getting a chance to go on Boards now, but enjoyed yesterday's show. Marty played two Billy Joel songs as it's his birthday today. I have always loved "She's Always A Woman" but hadn't heard "Scenes From An Italian Restaurant" before.

Ah brilliant, thanks, R! Didn’t even think to check it there was a playlist.

He’s played a song by him before called ‘The Measure’, wouldn’t usually my “thing” but I think I’ll have to check his stuff out.

‘Scenes from an Italian Restaurant’ is on Billy Joel’s ‘Stranger’ album, one of his best. Along with the track ‘Vienna’, it would be one of the highlights of the album. Although, some would argue it’s all highlights on that album.

It’s, also, on his ‘Greatest Hits 1 & 2’ album too, which is well worth listening to.

Thanks, again, for finding that out for me.

The tide is turning…

Marty was chatting to Sacha Puttnam this morning and played three pieces from him (Chariots Of Fire, First Of May & Going Home). Beautiful.

• Advertisement

Glad Marty has stopped talking about the Eurovision ... last week he was on about it the whole time!
    The Homes of Donegal & The Island featured today as it is Paul Brady's birthday.
    Also nice to hear Dance Me to the End of Love by Leonard Cohen.

Caught Malena (Hayley Westenra) & Romance From The Gadfly (Shostakovich). Also marked Jimmy Stewart's birthdate by playing Moonlight Serenade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I like his music. Today was nice. Haven't heard him in ages. But he still has that nonsense story thing going on. What is that about? Who writes that dumb stuff? It gives him a chance to promote himself anyway. I switch off at that point.

He strikes me as a carbon copy of Wogan. Whimsical. Trifling. And he went on and on and on about Eurovision. But again he has to promote himself. Seems happy to ape Wogan.

Does he have an understanding of classical music? Or does he just play popular bits?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭jmcc

bobbyss wrote: »
    Does he have an understanding of classical music? Or does he just play popular bits?
    It seems that the music interrupts his 1970s DJ style wibbling. Didn't he think that Vivaldi was called "the red priest" because he wore a red cape?

RTE seems to be stuck in a kind of 1970s time warp that ignores all the technological developments since then. CDs and MP3 came and went. Now people listen to streaming services and their own music collections rather than having the buzz of great music interrupted. The music played on his programme seems to cater for a kind of audience that would otherwise have been listening to Gay Byrne on RTE Radio 1.

Lyric used to be a Classical and Arts station. But now it has become a dumping ground for obsolete RTE DJs. Knowledge of Classical music is not required.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

jmcc wrote: »
    It seems that the music interrupts his 1970s DJ style wibbling. Didn't he think that Vivaldi was called "the red priest" because he wore a red cape?

RTE seems to be stuck in a kind of 1970s time warp that ignores all the technological developments since then. CDs and MP3 came and went. Now people listen to streaming services and their own music collections rather than having the buzz of great music interrupted. The music played on his programme seems to cater for a kind of audience that would otherwise have been listening to Gay Byrne on RTE Radio 1.

Lyric used to be a Classical and Arts station. But now it has become a dumping ground for obsolete RTE DJs. Knowledge of Classical music is not required.

Regards...jmcc
    I use an abundance of steaming services (Spotify, Soundcloud, Acast, etc.) and still listen to Marty in the Morning. I never listened to Gay Byrne either as I thought he was an obnoxious pain in the hole. Maybe I'm an anomaly in listening to Marty, or maybe your characterisation above is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭jmcc

I use an abundance of steaming services (Spotify, Soundcloud, Acast, etc.) and still listen to Marty in the Morning. I never listened to Gay Byrne either as I thought he was an obnoxious pain in the hole. Maybe I'm an anomaly in listening to Marty, or maybe your characterisation above is just wrong.
    Some people want to listen to Classical music. Some want to listen to Marty Whelan (or some other RTE personality). It seems that Marty wants to listen to Marty and the music just gets in the way.

Regards...jmcc

Sheep May Safely Graze (Bach) was a nice start to today's playlist.

Advertisement