Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty in the Morning Lyric FM

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

"In The Arms Of An Angel" was playing as I drove into work this morning. Hadn't heard it in a while. Think it was Fridays show that Marty played requests from different family members for children and a father who "were in heaven". I know Marty isn't everyone's cup of tea but his lighthearted show suits me as I prepare for a busy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ruby Ring wrote: »
    "In The Arms Of An Angel" was playing as I drove into work this morning. Hadn't heard it in a while. Think it was Fridays show that Marty played requests from different family members for children and a father who "were in heaven". I know Marty isn't everyone's cup of tea but his lighthearted show suits me as I prepare for a busy day.

It may do. But being at the expense of the national classical music station was the price to pay, and that is unforgivable. May the RTE management responsible - you know who you are - rot in hell. With a Marty show on perpetual loop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

It may do. But being at the expense of the national classical music station was the price to pay, and that is unforgivable. May the RTE management responsible - you know who you are - rot in hell. With a Marty show on perpetual loop.

Don't worry, Lucretia. The signs for an end to the torture are looking good in the medium term.
    RTE management nearly axed the whole thing but lost their bottle, with apparently "Riverdance Moya" saving it at the last minute (and, of course, some fine can-kicking by the Taoiseach).
    A new DG and management with a bit more steel in the backbone (and a disinterested govt.) will either see it through or make it something totally different - automated classics mostly.

Other good news? According to Wiki, Mr. Whelan will turn sixty four in June and then hopefully the wind down will begin - assuming there are no changes to RTE policy of kicking staff people out on their 65th birthday e.g. Mary Kennedy, Brendan Balfe, Michael Murphy.

The only dark clouds on the horizon? Will Leahy (arguably worse than Whelan) and Rick O'Shea roaming the countryside looking for gigs if/when Gold closes.

As for Ruby Ring talking to him/herself on this thread, well we had this before with an entity called "Hugo" I wouldn't worry about it!

Cheer up.... they'll probably shut the whole thing in a couple of years and it'll be Whelan's fault, enabled by infantile production and hopeless management!

Expunge wrote: »
    As for Ruby Ring talking to him/herself on this thread, well we had this before with an entity called "Hugo" I wouldn't worry about it!

"Hugo" was a hard takedown alright, but I got there in the end.
    Defending the indefensible is never a long term thing.

Patsy Cline "Crazy" was played this morning ... hadn't heard it in a while. Lovely

• Advertisement

Family Guy vomit meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Entonces

Patsy Cline "Crazy" was played this morning ... hadn't heard it in a while. Lovely

What about Clar De Lune this morning. I was late for work because of it :)

Entonces wrote: »
    What about Clar De Lune this morning. I was late for work because of it :)

Missed it (I've a short commute). Lovely piece

"Bluebird" was played on yesterday's show. Think it's one of those pieces I don't hear often enough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Expunge wrote: »
    Other good news? According to Wiki, Mr. Whelan will turn sixty four in June and then hopefully the wind down will begin - assuming there are no changes to RTE policy of kicking staff people out on their 65th birthday e.g. Mary Kennedy, Brendan Balfe, Michael Murphy.

If he's a contractor, rather than an employee, I don't think those rules apply. I'll always remember Carl Corcoran being "allowed" to broadcast the last hour of his last show on his 65th birthday before retirement.

Other RTÉ personalities all work through companies and got around the 65 barriers.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

Theme from Bridesmaid Revisited played on my journey into work this morning. Short but sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Red Fred

Marty had an obviously prerecorded interview with Leo Sayer this morning. The audio was horribly distorted and the fact that Marty played One Man Band twice during it didn't help.

One of my many favourites ("All I Ask Of You") was played this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,855 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was it? How interesting.

*Unfollows

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Entonces

Pink Floyd - us and them at 8 am. Such a breath of fresh air on a busy morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dolly darling

It's Charlie Parker's anniversary today and Mathieu Norry played I'm in the Mood for Love. Gorgeous

Cinema Paradiso (Se), Fantasia on Greensleeves & Gabriel's Oboe all played in close proximity this morning.

Sweet Baby James joined me on my run this morning.

Unsurprisingly, there were a lot of Irish themed pieces this morning. Late Afternoon by Colm Mac Con Iomaire was beautiful.

Must admit that I wasn't mad about the music on Marty's show this morning. One of the exceptions was Il Postino (The Postman).

• Advertisement

Loved Sleepy Shores & Monteleone this morning. Marty also had to play Dana's Eurovision winner as it's 50 years tomorrow since she won. That would have been before my time (not by much though!)

Just played We'll Meet Again (quite fitting as it feels like we are all at war with this virus)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Just played We'll Meet Again (quite fitting as it feels like we are all at war with this virus)

I’m guessing it wasn’t The Byrds’ version, R?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I’m guessing it wasn’t The Byrds’ version, R?

I think it was Vera Lynn

Spring (Vivaldi) was a beautiful start to today's programme

Nice to hear The Brendan Voyage this morning

Just had a solo waltz around the kitchen to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake. The music was beautiful (dancing wasn't so good)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 dolly darling

^^^
    Did a little waltz myself today when listening to Marty playing The Waltz of the Cornflowers and Poppies.

I think that Marty had too much Marvin Gaye on the show this morning. He played 3 songs to mark his birthdate (How Sweet It Is, Mercy Mercy Me & What's Going On). Mozart's Piano Concerto No.21 was beautiful. Also loved Minuet (Boccherini) famous from "The Ladykillers". He finished with a sweet request from a listener who was remembering her Dad by playing Bring Me Sunshine.

Beautiful music from the movies this morning: As Time Goes By (Casablanca) & The John Dunbar Theme (Dances With Wolves)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It's great having Marty on for longer in the mornings, while I work from home. Usually a great selection of music, and he is great to listen to.

Advertisement