Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marty in the Morning Lyric FM

Options
  • 27-01-2020 8:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Marty is with me every morning on the drive to work. It's a short commute and I know his playlist is on the Lyric FM website but I would love to hear songs, stories, competitions etc. that feature on the show that you liked.
    Today, he played the theme from Schindler's List (very appropriate this week).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Ruby Ring

I was transported back to my childhood with the Emmerdale soundtrack this morning. Simon Delaney joined the Emmerdale cast recently. I used do my homework with Emmerdale (Farm) on in the background. Showing my age! Great days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,409 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Musically Speaking will usually have a TV theme or a movie theme, or perhap a short bit of dialogue from a film. It's getting great mileage. Plenty of films and TV shows from the past to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

marty is a joy to listen to in the morning

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    marty is a joy to listen to in the morning

Phew!
    I thought I was going to be talking to myself with daily posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I like the deadpan jokes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭RINO87

I like the deadpan jokes

Yep, love them! I used to be a news junkie in the mornings and had dismissed Marty really, but newstalk breakfast got so so bad, and morning Ireland is just so dull that I made the change - It has genuinely made me a happier person in the mornings :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

Here's a not to be missed offer for you fanboys and girls this summer....

https://www.traveldepartment.co.uk/verona-opera-with-marty-whelan?dp=aaa,abz,edi,brs,gla,lhr

Pay 1300 quid to be in the same room as your hero as he stumbles his way through hilarious eye-talian words to give you an "introduction" to Cavalleria Rusticana and I Pagliacci.
    He may have to use two paragraphs from two Wikipedia pages for his "introduction", before taking the cheque.

I once noticed the great man sleep his way through a production at the Wexford Festival, so he sure knows his stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

RINO87 wrote: »
    Yep, love them! I used to be a news junkie in the mornings and had dismissed Marty really, but newstalk breakfast got so so bad, and morning Ireland is just so dull that I made the change - It has genuinely made me a happier person in the mornings :)

Where else would you hear John Martyn or Rod McKuen alongside Rachmaninov?!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Yeah, I love Marty..he just comes across as so nice..the jokes are quality..

While "The Arrival of the Birds" from the Theory of Everything is a beautiful piece, I'm convinced that Marty plays it regularly around 8 o'clock so he can take a mini break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Music is not bad from the bits I've listened to but can't face him that early in the morning. Apparently he's a lovely man but no fan of his constant wittering I'm afraid.

Will have earworm all day as "All I Have To Do Is Dream" was playing on my way to work. Not a song I'd ever think to choose to listen to but very appropriate for a Ruby Ring who is pining atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I wish there was a +1 channel for Lyric.

I generally only switch on around 9am, and this morning all I've heard is bloody Neven and some arty girl promoting her arty music which is of zero interest to me.

9-10 always seems to be chatty hour, I want music!!

Ruby Ring wrote: »
    Will have earworm all day as "All I Have To Do Is Dream" was playing on my way to work. Not a song I'd ever think to choose to listen to but very appropriate for a Ruby Ring who is pining atm.

Not an Everly Brothers fan?! You should rectify that immediately. They have some great tunes.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Not an Everly Brothers fan?! You should rectify that immediately. They have some great tunes.

Emmet, it's very rare for me to able to say this, but ... the EB are ahead of my time!

Wonder will Marty be back this morning. Matthew presented the show yesterday and played this beautiful piece among others: “I had a farm in Africa” from “Out of Africa“.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I wish there was a +1 channel for Lyric.

I generally only switch on around 9am, and this morning all I've heard is bloody Neven and some arty girl promoting her arty music which is of zero interest to me.

9-10 always seems to be chatty hour, I want music!!

7 to 8 is the best hour. Marty is still a bit sleepy and he lets the music do the work.

Matthew still on duty. Can't complain about him playing "Vois Sur Ton Chemin"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

Matthew still on duty. Can't complain about him playing "Vois Sur Ton Chemin"!

I really liked No Crows interpretation of Pachelbel's Canon, called Packie Bell. Twas brilliant.

I'm still missing Marty but Matthew played "Coffee Time" this morning just as I was having a coffee

• Advertisement

Looking at today's playlist, I see that I missed one of my favourite pieces, The John Dunbar Theme (from Dances With Wolves)

Marty back today. Lovely playlist. On the drive to work I caught "Song to the Moon" by Leontyne Price who is 93 today!

While "The Arrival of the Birds" from the Theory of Everything is a beautiful piece, I'm convinced that Marty plays it regularly around 8 o'clock so he can take a mini break.

Talking to myself again.

Marty played "The Arrival of the Birds" at 8:04 this morning. (cue 7 minute deserved break for Marty)

Just been treated to "Adagio For Strings".

"The Place Where Lost Things Go" is on now. Beautiful

This morning's journey was made sweeter by Nina Simone singing "My Baby Just Cares For Me".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

He is the standard bearer for all then went wrong in Lyric FM about 10 years ago, when RTE decided Lyric would no longer play good music, but churn out drivel for the uneducated masses. Whelan wasnt responsible, but cannot claim he is only following orders either.
    Mart is guilty of cultural genocide everytime he takes to the Lyric wavelength. A national embarrassement. A national shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,849 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

He is the standard bearer for all then went wrong in Lyric FM about 10 years ago, when RTE decided Lyric would no longer play good music, but churn out drivel for the uneducated masses. Whelan wasnt responsible, but cannot claim he is only following orders either.
    Mart is guilty of cultural genocide everytime he takes to the Lyric wavelength. A national embarrassement. A national shame.

I'm not sure I'd go quite as far as cultural genocide or national embarrassment!!

But there's definitely an audible sigh of relief in my house when Marty takes a day off, and there's a morning of actual classical music played, with no Neven or bloody Daphne etc.

Bliss, it do be.

Marty is the best thing on Lyric FM. His morning show is the best show on Irish radio. Nothing else comes close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭deise man

Marty appears to have the most popular show on lyric but his music seems more like rte gold choices than like the rest of the lyric schedule. Would rte gold get a bigger audience than lyric if it replaced it on fm. I know morning radio gets more listeners in general. Just a thought!

Advertisement