Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paul Dunne - 2017 British Masters Champion!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

PARlance wrote: »
    That should help the nerves, not that he has shown any so far

Nerves don't seem to be a problem for him so far, but I'm glad he's out with Louis again/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

He did look nervous towards the final couple of holes, but he didn't play like he was nervous. Great to see. Was he interviewed after it?, would like to see what he had to say.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

TheCitizen wrote: »
    He did look nervous towards the final couple of holes, but he didn't play like he was nervous. Great to see. Was he interviewed after it?, would like to see what he had to say.

He was by the BBC, seemed very calm.

Basically said it was about getting the ball to do what he wanted it to do, that he will come out tomorrow and set himself a target in his head and aim for that.

edit if you check out this link http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/golf/33586835 and scroll about halfway down the page there is an interview with him

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

HighLine wrote: »
    Depends on CSS.. he would probably be in the buffer :D

Interesting alright. 66 gives him a nett 71. Definitely in the buffer you would presume but would be nice to know what css was.

Does this count as a handicap adjusting tournament?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Seve OB wrote: »
    Interesting alright. 66 gives him a nett 71. Definitely in the buffer you would presume but would be nice to know what css was.

Does this count as a handicap adjusting tournament?

What's his current handicap?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Stheno wrote: »
    What's his current handicap?

+5 on Howdidido. Greystones must be the most frequented club on-site tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,832 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

+4.8 to be exact but I haven't checked it out lately

+5 on Howdidido. Greystones must be the most frequented club on-site tonight.

Wow I'd have thought all pros or soon to be pros would be scratch golfers

That's me not knowing much though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

He's 5 better than scratch mate

ForeRight wrote: »
    He's 5 better than scratch mate

Ah sorry so he's minus 5?

Any time I ask someone their handicap they just say e.g 19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The parlance is "plus five" if your handicap is five better than scratch, not minus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Plus 5 as in 5 shots are added to his score in each round. The opposite of say 19 shots being taken from your score with a handicap of 19.

I've never heard of +5, as in I don't know of anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Eaglebridie 32

Forget about that!, unless you can play to +3 or so you wouldn't cut it at the top level even in Ireland, would say that if you could play to +4 or +5, whilst competing in major amateur competitions, with a good head upon your shoulders, ( like Paul Dunne appears to have), I'd say your behind the black ball from the start in the pro ranks. Just a note, I think Shane Lowery was +5 when he won the IRish Open & turned pro.

Forget about that!, unless you can play to +3 or so you wouldn't cut it at the top level even in Ireland, would say that if you could play to +4 or +5, whilst competing in major amateur competitions, with a good head upon your shoulders, ( like Paul Dunne appears to have), I'd say your behind the black ball from the start in the pro ranks. Just a note, I think Shane Lowery was +5 when he won the IRish Open & turned pro.

Exactly. To put things in perspective when tiger was in his prime in 2000 he played the whole year on tour to a +10 handicap!!!!
    Let that sink in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Exactly. To put things in perspective when tiger was in his prime in 2000 he played the whole year on tour to a +10 handicap!!!!
    Let that sink in

How does this make sense? His average score was 10 under? I can't see that being true.

Thanks for the explanations guys :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Or put it like this, Paul Dunne is 9 shots better than Ian Poulter when he turned pro!!

How does this make sense? His average score was 10 under? I can't see that being true.

His average score doesn't have to be 10 under and believe it or not it is 100% true.

His average score doesn't have to be 10 under and believe it or not it is 100% true.

Now I'm fierce confused, do the pros not all start on zero, so their handicap is irrelevant?

Now I'm fierce confused, do the pros not all start on zero, so their handicap is irrelevant?

Yes their handicap is irrelevant. They just play off zero. I'm only giving the handicaps to put into perspective how good these are compared to us mere mortals

• Advertisement

They do, all play off scratch. We're discussing the handicaps they had before they turned pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

The parlance is "plus five" if your handicap is five better than scratch, not minus.

No way is PARlance + 5 :p

charlieIRL wrote: »
    They do, all play off scratch. We're discussing the handicaps they had before they turned pro.

Thanks, sorry for sounding like an idiot :)
    No way is PARlance + 5 :p

Ah let him/her pretend for a moment?

Thanks, sorry for sounding like an idiot :)

Ah let him/her pretend for a moment?

Not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

I see Oosthuizen made a nice comment on twitter

'Great round by Paul Dunne today. I enjoyed playing with him. All the best for tomorrow.'

Panrich wrote: »
    I see Oosthuizen made a nice comment on twitter

'Great round by Paul Dunne today. I enjoyed playing with him. All the best for tomorrow.'

Harrington was also nice, said if it's not him he hopes it's Dunne

Fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Great thread. I'd say this forum could see a few new faces (like me) during work tomorrow when Dunne tees off.

I even managed to learn a bit about handicaps :-)

Be brilliant to see an Irish winner tomorrow

Anyone know what odds on him were before the tournament started?

beertons wrote: »
    Alot. He was 300/1 last night.

Wow Imagine having a tenner on those odds and waiting for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,045 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Been a joy to watch.

I hope at the very least he puts in a solid round, I think he will. I dare ask him to win it, that be just asking bit too much.

He been so composed I love how he just playing like a guy with nothing to lose.

• Advertisement

Been a joy to watch.

I hope at the very least he puts in a solid round, I think he will. I dare ask him to win it, that be just asking bit too much.

He been so composed I love how he just playing like a guy with nothing to lose.

I'm 100% rooting for him, then Harrington tomorrow.

Imagine the roar from the crowd if he comes down the 18th as the potential winner.

That would be special

Advertisement