Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭secman

5 of us did a tempo spin from CSS to Baltinglass and back for a coffee ? Left at 8 and back before 11:30.. to beat the rain. 102km avg 31.50 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Is ‘marin’ a good make?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it was when i was younger. as these things go, it's quite possible the name has been bought by someone else, making bikes to order with the name slapped on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Have had gender neutral flu all week and haven't been out since Sunday as a result.

Have today off and I couldn't be sitting at home talking to the walls so went out for an easy spin under strict instructions from the war office to take it easy.

Went a lovely route I never go just following signposts and getting vaguely lost. Happened upon a closed road and got waved through by one of the workers.

I don't know what I was thinking it was clearly being resurfaced. Cue an immediate flat and my almost new, fluorescent, castelli perfetto birthday present getting covered in tiny spots of tar.

I am beyong sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Got out and did 66k today, I felt like I was huffing and puffing from the start, but when I got home and looked at Strava, I had a respectable 26. average (respectable for an old codger like me anyway)
    Started in Drimnagh, up to tallaght, followed N81 to Blessington, across to Naas, and back via the N7.
    Weather was lovely, chose shorts and short sleeves, rain started 10 minutes after I came in - success.

https://strava.app.link/EDCYSy1vJ0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Went out in a little drizzle this morning for the club spin. Decided it was perfect weather for testing my new Castelli Perfetto. Made about 2km before the drizzle turned to full blown rain. At that point the executive decision was made to cut the spin short and skip the coffee stop. Temperature was low so stopping and getting going again would have been torture. Did just under 50km, Longwood Enfield Summerhill Trim and back to Longwood. The shorts and fingerless gloves were completely inappropriate and will probably be put away for the foreseeable future but the Perfetto held up well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭secman

Waited fir rain to pass, club spin cancelled this a.m.
    Hooked up with a club member , met her on coast road, headed for Killenagh, ballycanew on to Gorey, Camolin, Ferns towards Enniscorthy, left turn before Enniscorthy onto a new road that takes you across to Oulart. Back the main road towards ballycanew, she headed back to Gorey, i took a right turn back across to Killenagh and home. 81 km avg 26.7kph almost 700 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Currently on hols in Tenerife, had brought cycling shoes and lycra on the off chance of a bit of cycling. Ended up renting a nice Cannondale Synapse and going on a lovely route of about 50km with 850m ascent with a few other renters and a guide. 28 degC and €1 coffees at the stop. Will be back next year with a view to having developed my climbing game and being able to do (maybe some, if not all of) El Teide (2,300m, according to the guide).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Went out in a little drizzle this morning for the club spin. Decided it was perfect weather for testing my new Castelli Perfetto. Made about 2km before the drizzle turned to full blown rain. At that point the executive decision was made to cut the spin short and skip the coffee stop. Temperature was low so stopping and getting going again would have been torture. Did just under 50km, Longwood Enfield Summerhill Trim and back to Longwood. The shorts and fingerless gloves were completely inappropriate and will probably be put away for the foreseeable future but the Perfetto held up well.

Interested re the new kit.. :D Did you get the new Perfetto ROS long sleeve or the convertible? I hate when kit gets refreshed like this and I feel the need to keep up.. but just couldn't bring myself to pay full price on new range; but always Christmas coming up and could start hinting..

Old Gabba 3 is still perfect for me.. lasts forever!

Scrub above... just found your post in the Bargain's thread..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I actually got the new Perfetto RoS long sleeve, first piece of genuine Castelli I've bought but based on first impressions very likely not the last :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Utter Consternation

I got a new ebike to take the sting out of going to work. Brought it for a test spin yesterday. It's a rear hub motor and i came sliding off it when i was going around a sharp turn. It was a total wipeout. The bike shot off from under me.

Got up after and there was barely any marks on me besides a skinned arse. :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,523 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

were you pedalling at the time? i ask because on a sharp turn, you might expect to be leaning and thus not pedalling.

were you pedalling at the time? i ask because on a sharp turn, you might expect to be leaning and thus not pedalling.

I can't remember, but i'd say i was. I had the assist up to the top level too, so it's something i need to get used to. When you pedal it puts power to the wheel so it's dodgy pedaling around corners.

I'll be swopping out the bike every second day with my hybrid, to maintain fitness.

It is strange to arrive into work though without the sweat pumping off me from cycling. It's also an odd sensation going up hills at 25kmph and barely putting any pressure on the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭McGrath5

My god, the rain cycling in this morning was slightly biblical!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

McGrath5 wrote: »

Completely. I was like a drowned rat by the time I made it in. Everything is soaked through. It's been a while since I've had it that bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I actually got the new Perfetto RoS long sleeve, first piece of genuine Castelli I've bought but based on first impressions very likely not the last :D

Yes.. its good kit; but is pricey! I have a Gabba 3 and the Perfetto Convertible (Gabba with removable sleeves) but they are perfect and seem like they will last forever!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭coddlesangers

50 km with 720m of climbing and a headwind on the flat on the way back, so happy enough to have maintained 25 kph. Came of the bike right at the end, a car stopped dead in front of me on a narrow road, thought i'd bounce up onto the path to avoid it but I was going to slowly and ended up landing on my chest and wrist - sore ribs now. Feckit. Broke my shoulder doing something similar a year ago, so I made extra sure not to land on the shoulder.......couldn't speak for about 10 mins with the chest pain but seems ok now. A&E or a cup of concrete?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Headed out on my own for some peace and got drenched in the first 10km. Was too far from home to make any difference so I carried on. Did 65km, but my Garmin put itself into self test mode 2 km before home!
    Now it won’t connect to my computer and even though I saved the ride to the memory card, the computer won’t find the file. If I put the card back in the Garmin, it shows up there, but with the card removed from the Garmin and put into the computer, I just see 2 text files...?
    My tools for opening the Garmin are in work so I’ll have to wait a few days before I can try and fix it..

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

McGrath5 wrote: »

Arrived at 6:55, 7:05 I was grinning from ear to ear that I wasn't tardy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

18 degrees today. Summer vibes out there. Absolutely bombed home from work (on the bike) to get an hour on the road bike before the darkness swept in.

Hammered it for 55 minutes on one of my favourite loops. Cross wind carrying a warm breeze. Legs just kept demanding more. Double checking if I'm even in the big ring. There is no better medicine for me. Why must Winter come?

• Advertisement

18 degrees today. Summer vibes out there. Absolutely bombed home from work (on the bike) to get an hour on the road bike before the darkness swept in.

Hammered it for 55 minutes on one of my favourite loops. Cross wind carrying a warm breeze. Legs just kept demanding more. Double checking if I'm even in the big ring. There is no better medicine for me. Why must Winter come?

It must come so that we get spring. My favourite time of the year. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Winter is great, so long as it's relatively dry.

From earlier post... I found my SD card was formatted on my Mac (which is now too old to do much - it won’t even connect to Strava!!!) so I had to email the file to myself so I could then use a PC to upload my saved file. What a faff! Hopefully I can fix my Garmin this week

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Commuting home last night I set the Garmin to show average speed. I never train with a specific effort, I just go out and cycle at a natural pace regardless of commuting or fitness. 15km Clonee to Lucan I usually average 24-24.5, last night was 26.4.

I tend to pick up the pace on the R149 as I don't like to stick around at 1am. It was a poor effort going up the hill in the village so put the effort in towards Woodies then down past the Penny Hill. Legs were burning when I got home.

I didn't have any goal in mind, just wanted to keep above whatever speed it was at. I'll probably aim for 25kph though.

From earlier post... I found my SD card was formatted on my Mac (which is now too old to do much - it won’t even connect to Strava!!!) so I had to email the file to myself so I could then use a PC to upload my saved file. What a faff! Hopefully I can fix my Garmin this week

What format did you use? Should have been ok if you picked Ms-Dos(FAT) or ExFat, maybe you picked one of a mac specific ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

DaveyDave wrote: »
    .... 15km Clonee to Lucan I usually average 24-24.5, last night was 26.4....
    There was a strong eastery blowing last night (around 9pm anyway when I was going home from work).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

There was a strong eastery blowing last night (around 9pm anyway when I was going home from work).

Yeah the wind picked up a bit last night, calmed down when I was leaving, wouldn't bother me too much as I was heading South. Started raining as I left and got heavy for the second half of the commute so took it easy, 25.9kph last night.

Going for the average speed seems like a good way to get the most out of the commute without adding mileage or going all out.

What format did you use? Should have been ok if you picked Ms-Dos(FAT) or ExFat, maybe you picked one of a mac specific ones.

I'll maybe reformat it sometime, but I'll more likely forget until the Garmin refuses to work again..
    Been a week for opening things up. My Trelock light kept switching off on the ride home this morning and then finally refused to work at all. It kept going off whenever I hit any bumps in the road. Found the battery connection loose so that was an easy enough fix

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

Going down hill at 40km with 2 hands on the bars and trying to blow your nose is not a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well, the new Raceblades worked!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement