Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Was hoping to do the Tour of Boyne Valley but had to cancel and then plans changed again so went out solo.

Blanchardstown-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Ratoath-Kilbride-CoolQuay-Ballyboughal-Oldtown-St, Margarets and home. Got some heavy rain around Maynooth and the last 20 kms were a bit of a windy slog. Only stopped to put arm warmers on and didn't do my usual coffee stop or eat enough

101 km in 3 hr 18 at 30.5 km/h.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2667688406/segments/66785903058

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

100km @ 30km average out West...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2670127440

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

First time hitting 25km yesterday.Picked up my new bike saturday and its far lighter and smoother than the old one!! Really enjoyed it and cant wait to get out again. Hard slog into the wind on the way home will improve the fitness

strava.app.link/jpswJpJMCZ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Did a 100km spin on a rented bike in La Manga Del Mar last Friday - not home yet to upload it to Strava.
    Nice carbon Look 566 bike. Got totally lost at one point and found myself on a motorway!!! Jumped off and climbed a fence and went through bushes to get to a track running along a field. Parts where they had watered whatever was in the field were like a bog and I got the bike caked in mud - made the last part more of a challenge.
    Had to wash the bike in the apartment shower before I returned it.
    Was a good spin though all in all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Wandering around West Wicklow...Rode the Gap to Laragh (no muggings), and then took the Rathdrum road, turned right to Greenane (nice), climbed out of Greenane (steep!) towards Macreddin, and down into Aughrim. Then up the Ow river to Aughavannagh, and tiny left road up up and down down into Knockannana (see picture on Photos thread), then off to Hacketstown, Tinahely, and back to Aughrim. Lift home. South Wicklow doesn't see a lot of cyclists, but it's pretty nice. And Aughrim, which is Deep South, is only 20k from Laragh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I'm in Aughrim often enough and you're right it doesn't. The odd few pass through, probably from Arklow direction. Grainstore does better coffee than the Stonecutter too fyi.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,670 ✭✭✭✭dahat

2hrs in the wet, i genuinely can't remember the last time I got as wet on a training spin. It was still an enjoyable spin all the same.

Quite sad to see the noticeable difference in evening light.

62km @ 31.4 avg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

50k to stretch the legs. Left it late to dodge the rain but was out in the dark. Well lit up but still not the best. I feel ya Dahat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

brownian wrote: »
    Wandering around West Wicklow...Rode the Gap to Laragh (no muggings), and then took the Rathdrum road, turned right to Greenane (nice), climbed out of Greenane (steep!) towards Macreddin, and down into Aughrim. Then up the Ow river to Aughavannagh, and tiny left road up up and down down into Knockannana (see picture on Photos thread), then off to Hacketstown, Tinahely, and back to Aughrim. Lift home. South Wicklow doesn't see a lot of cyclists, but it's pretty nice. And Aughrim, which is Deep South, is only 20k from Laragh.

Gorey cc would use those routes often enough around woodenbridge, Aughrim, Avoca, Rathdrum, Tinnahely etc lovely spins around that neck of the woods.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

50km this evening, 31.4km average, which is possibly the highest i've averaged over 50km.
    heading north on the old N2, i had someone leeching silently on my back wheel, into the headwind, for 5km. he was lucky, i only spotted him first just as i was about to do a snot rocket.

didn't finish up till ten past eight or thereabouts; definitely out about 15 minutes longer than i'd have liked; evenings are shortening quickly at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Quite windy this morning, but a good 70km around NCD

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Went out for a short spin this evening when I got home from work. Leixlip > Newcastle > Rathcoole > Kilteel > Castlewarden > Celbridge > Leixlip (43km @ 29.2 km/h)
    Felt pretty cold. Time for the base layers I reckon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was sweltering on the trip home at about half four.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Went for a spin last night after 9 days off again due to back issues, up the Embankment, left at Lisheen, Manor Kilbride, 3 castles to the bridge and back around small lake to manor Kilbride and home. 45km avg 28.4kph. Hopefully .....fingers crossed .

Felt pretty cold. Time for the base layers I reckon
    i was sweltering on the trip home at about half four.
    I was sweating alright but nonetheless found my feet, fingers and shoulders were freezing.
    Maybe I'm just getting old!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Commute down the Grand Canal.

A great shame this off road path is rarely used by many , beautiful wildlife on the cycle in.

Shame about some of the other wildlife that cause problems on it....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Commute down the Grand Canal.

A great shame this off road path is rarely used by many , beautiful wildlife on the cycle in.

Shame about some of the other wildlife that cause problems on it....

Used to cycle it quite regularly but have been put off by the reports here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Knocked 6 minutes off my usual route this evening on the new bike

Knocked 6 minutes off my usual route this evening on the new bike
    More info needed (old bike, new bike, distance, etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I have a 106km ''race'' in the first week of October and wanted to do some endurance rides and practice eating/drinking while I still have the chance. It'll be my 2nd time participating in one.
    • Wednesday 97.2km at 31.2kph. Some short hill repeats that kicks from 7/8 to 12% for the last 100m. An elderly couple sat on a bench and watched me go up and down.
    • Thursday 98.5km at 31.3kph. Very windy. Got home minutes before it rained. Deeeelighted.
    • Friday 122.8km at 31.2kph. I did the full race route and the first half at ''race pace''. Huge headwind for the last 25km or so, quite miserable. But I was happy that I still had some juice in the legs once I got out of the wind. Wore winter tights and jacket.
    • Today 0km at -20kph. Bolloxed.

My findings:
    Gels work for me and deliver a boost quickly but my god do they tear my stomach to shreds. I'm still emitting the fumes. I'll probably make some rice cakes for the day as well.
    Two 750ml bottles will be enough. I was panicking about this because I was drinking non-stop during summer but the cooler temperatures will solve the problem
    No matter what, nothing will be as hard as the days I went full gas in Gran Canaria back in July. I've always got that for perspective.

My fears:
    It rains and I crash (crap bike handler and I still haven't recovered confidence from when I fell on ice twice earlier this year)
    I **** up while riding in a group (never got round to joining a club and doing group rides)

Goals:
    Just empty the tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭pjmn

Did the Tour de Bens cycle today 103km - 857m - @ 26.6 avg - lovely day...

https://www.strava.com/activities/2687425374

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭thelawman

Naas to Oldcastle to visit the in-laws, a small bit of a headwind the whole way which became very annoying after a couple of hours, 97kms in the end, went on the CX bike for a change, a good day on the bike,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Did the Stars Cycle today. 102km, 1360m of climbing with an average of 23km/h which is fantastic for me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

A whopping 32km for me today. First spin in the road in almost 5months due to sheer laziness

In that time I have put on almost 7kg. And I felt every bit of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Had the week off work, went out every day but Wed - managed 317km in 12hrs 20m with 2,370 ascent.

Could have done more km each day, but I usually only go out two days a week, so I wanted to pace myself across the break.

Was going to do a trial if the GDBR today but in the end decided to take a shorter spin as I was needed back home. Went out to Howth summit from Leixlip and back again.
    72km @ 29.0
    Lovely day, slight headwind but nothing off putting. Plenty of cyclists out along S2S and Howth

out to bellewstown and back. there were some amount of cyclists out; and tractors too. between oldtown and the naul, i saw a tractor overtake two cyclists over a solid white line, up a hill, and around a blind bend which also turned out to be a blind crest on the hill.

out to bellewstown and back. there were some amount of cyclists out; and tractors too. between oldtown and the naul, i saw a tractor overtake two cyclists over a solid white line, up a hill, and around a blind bend which also turned out to be a blind crest on the hill.

Yeah busy out that way this time of year. Some of them are just about old enough to be driving one. Had some words for one such lad and and his female companion out near Donore the other evening, towing a bloody trailer too ffs which I don't they they can do at that age on a W licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

Took it real easy from d7 to greystones. Nothing beats freewheeling at the end.

Need to get a new Garmin for strava. Miss going over it after

• Advertisement

Yeah busy out that way this time of year. Some of them are just about old enough to be driving one. Had some words for one such lad and and his female companion out near Donore the other evening, towing a bloody trailer too ffs which I don't they they can do at that age on a W licence?
    on at least two other occasions, i had to avoid tractors driving at speed (what i assume is close to full speed for a tractor) along narrow country lanes which were barely wide enough for them. at one point, not far from cromwell's bush cross roads, i ended up on the grass trying to avoid one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement