Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DayZ Standalone

1363738394042»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Blackgator

Had my first game of DayZ the other day, dipping my toes into PC gaming.

I'm so F'ing lost. I can't work out where I am.

Met a few new spawns, had a couple of shovel fights (which I won). The shovel is OP.

Played same character for 3 days, killing 5 other players. Eventually found military tents and got a fully gears MP5. Scope, silencer, the works.
    Shot a zombie to try it out and got attacked by 4 others. Swarmed me and killed me.

Was I annoyed, yes.
    Did I just straight back in and do it again, YES.

Loving it so far, but anyone got tips on working out where I spawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

Blackgator wrote: »
    Had my first game of DayZ the other day, dipping my toes into PC gaming.

I'm so F'ing lost. I can't work out where I am.

Met a few new spawns, had a couple of shovel fights (which I won). The shovel is OP.

Played same character for 3 days, killing 5 other players. Eventually found military tents and got a fully gears MP5. Scope, silencer, the works.
    Shot a zombie to try it out and got attacked by 4 others. Swarmed me and killed me.

Was I annoyed, yes.
    Did I just straight back in and do it again, YES.

Loving it so far, but anyone got tips on working out where I spawn?

Firstly, you wanna start off with a map. You can search around to find one you prefer, but I find this one to be pretty good: https://dayz.ginfo.gg/#c=17;37;2

Usually when you spawn you will be on the coast somewhere. One easy thing to do is run inland from the coast; if you hit train tracks before a road, you are between the far left side of the map and Elektro. If you hit the road before the train tracks, you are on the eastern side of the map, between Elektro and Berezino. That can be a good starting point for working it out. (there are a few places around Elektro where the road and train tracks switch around, but for the most part that rule works)

After that, the best way is to use the road signs: http://www.psychicgamers.co.uk/articles/dayz-standalone/tutorials/navigation-signs . Find a sign at the edge of a town and find it in that list or directly on the map, and you can figure out where you are.

Back in Arma2 DayZ, clouds always moved eastwards, but that is no longer the case.

The more you play the better you'll get at locating yourself, after a while it'll be second nature!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The fact that the map is so realistic makes it easier to learn imo, you can use your sense of direction like you would in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

MadYaker wrote: »
    The fact that the map is so realistic makes it easier to learn imo, you can use your sense of direction like you would in real life.

The map is based on real locations in the Czech Republic. If you're from the area it must be a (literal) walk in the park!

https://imgur.com/gallery/3C2fV

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?ll=50.71286861566869%2C14.120705128839063&z=12&mid=1EJNBRC6X6C2P6Q1MGrsOb8Zynt4

Got this map which shows landmarks near the spawn points. Haven't tried it yet but look useful.
    https://m.imgur.com/TZitvQY

I was thinking of playing custom servers that show coordinates for a while, just till I get used to spawns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Squaredude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Got this map which shows landmarks near the spawn points. Haven't tried it yet but look useful.
    https://m.imgur.com/TZitvQY

I was thinking of playing custom servers that show coordinates for a while, just till I get used to spawns.

Better off not, learn without the coordinates and itll stick better.

Haven't played in years, jumped in yesterday for a bit and was pleasantly surprised at how well it runs and the new UI etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,682 ✭✭✭Glebee

Ive been dipping in and out over the past few days. Its alot more polished than its ever been but its really missed its chance. It looks lovely and theres a great sense of isolation when your out in the wild...

I've about 30 hrs in game now, starting to get used to the town's around the cost. And finding my way inland with an external map I do okay. But when it comes to shooting people I'm useless. First real leap into PC gaming, guess it will just take a while.

I wonder is there any single player/offline mode I can practice on. Would love a server where you spawn in an area full of guns just to give them a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The mods that developed out of the original mod were better than this imo.

Not slagging the game but to me it just appears theres different goals here to the mods. The survival aspects of the mods were minimal where as the survival systems in the game are pretty substantial. The mods never made it so finicky to keep food,hunger and sickness at bay.
    Guns/ammo were more prevelant,easier to find and again less finicky.

The changes,IMO,were to maybe make the game less a KOS fest. Its defo more of a dilema now about what to do when you see another player.

Personally i preffered the older mods but i could see why people could prefer this games way of doing things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,542 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

KOS got boring real fast though. Every online game is KOS, largely cos gamers are arseholes. It's tedious.

It's difficult to strike a balance though. There was never enough "E" to challenge a player who wanted to just play PVE, so people got bored and just went looking for the nearest gun and then off to whack someone before they got whacked themselves.

I haven't played for ages, but will jump in again soon enough I reckon. So, hopefully, there's more to the game than there was.

My thing with 'DayZ', though, was that there was never enough "Z" and they were far too easy to get rid of. AFAIC, the zombies should be a real threat, so as to force people to work together, or at least make them an element to be feared by all players.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭chewythefirst

I've about 30 hrs in game now, starting to get used to the town's around the cost. And finding my way inland with an external map I do okay. But when it comes to shooting people I'm useless. First real leap into PC gaming, guess it will just take a while.

I wonder is there any single player/offline mode I can practice on. Would love a server where you spawn in an area full of guns just to give them a try.

If you are new to PC gaming pick up SCUM and join a RP server. It is very much imop what DayZ should and could have been. Much more published and clean in comparison.

Tony EH wrote: »
    KOS got boring real fast though. Every online game is KOS, largely cos gamers are arseholes. It's tedious.

It's difficult to strike a balance though. There was never enough "E" to challenge a player who wanted to just play PVE, so people got bored and just went looking for the nearest gun and then off to whack someone before they got whacked themselves.

I haven't played for ages, but will jump in again soon enough I reckon. So, hopefully, there's more to the game than there was.

My thing with 'DayZ', though, was that there was never enough "Z" and they were far too easy to get rid of. AFAIC, the zombies should be a real threat, so as to force people to work together, or at least make them an element to be feared by all players.

Well thats the thing,unless you werent paying attention the zombies werent a threat so i agree there. The only real threat was other players. If there were no other players the survival aspect would have wore thin just a quick a KOS as without players there was no real threat.

So in that sense i always felt both sides of the argument had merit. DayZ the game for me just pushes a bit too far in a direction that im not sure is for me. I can understand that they didnt want it to be just a PvP game but the balance for me is not quite right yet. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Ill be visiting the game from time to time though to check out new stuff and mods when the modders start to find there feet.

Tony EH wrote: »

I agree but it's very hard to make a server run well if there 1000s of NPC zombies roaming around. The game runs nice enough these days and it took them years to get it like that so I doubt we'll see hoardes added or anything like that.

You picked Dayz as your introduction to PC gaming?:pac:

Maybe try Arma 3 and play on a wasteland server. It's basically like an open world team deathmatch with guns and vehicles spread around the map. It runs on nearly the same engine as Dayz so feels quite similar and its made by the same developers. Its like Dayz but less running and more shooting. Also arma 3 has many other servers running game modes that are sandbox survival like dayz but guns and gear are much easier to find and its more PvP based so you should improve faster.

Been back playing/admin for the past while, really enjoying the game again. =UN= Community Server|Trader|WeaponRedux|Bases|Winter is the server I run if anyone's looking for a place to play

58dnVdXl.jpg

Squaredude wrote: »
    Been back playing/admin for the past while, really enjoying the game again. =UN= Community Server|Trader|WeaponRedux|Bases|Winter is the server I run if anyone's looking for a place to play

58dnVdXl.jpg

Cant find it on the lists

Glebee wrote: »
    Cant find it on the lists

Using this launcher is the best way to find/join servers right now, filter =UN= https://dayzsalauncher.com/

EoinHef wrote: »
    Well thats the thing,unless you werent paying attention the zombies werent a threat so i agree there. The only real threat was other players. If there were no other players the survival aspect would have wore thin just a quick a KOS as without players there was no real threat.

So in that sense i always felt both sides of the argument had merit. DayZ the game for me just pushes a bit too far in a direction that im not sure is for me. I can understand that they didnt want it to be just a PvP game but the balance for me is not quite right yet. Different strokes for different folks i guess.

Ill be visiting the game from time to time though to check out new stuff and mods when the modders start to find there feet.

Completely agree Eoin, and I've PVP'd out of sheer "whatnowitis", because that's where the excitement was sometimes. You're correct, there's no side that had more merit than the other.

I agree but it's very hard to make a server run well if there 1000s of NPC zombies roaming around. The game runs nice enough these days and it took them years to get it like that so I doubt we'll see hoardes added or anything like that.

True and with their glitches intact, it would have been awful.

But, I was thinking more along the lines of them being truly dangerous to the player in terms of killing as opposed to numbers. In other words, say a hit from a zombie could cause the player to get disease? Or two strikes and your dead. That way people would be incredibly reluctant to even go near them.

As they stand, well as they stood the last time I played, they weren't even a nuisance.

• Advertisement

Squaredude wrote: »
    Using this launcher is the best way to find/join servers right now, filter =UN= https://dayzsalauncher.com/

Is this like A3Launcher? Great tool that A3Launcher

Is this like A3Launcher? Great tool that A3Launcher

Yup, by the same guy I think

You picked Dayz as your introduction to PC gaming?:pac:

Maybe try Arma 3 and play on a wasteland server. It's basically like an open world team deathmatch with guns and vehicles spread around the map. It runs on nearly the same engine as Dayz so feels quite similar and its made by the same developers. Its like Dayz but less running and more shooting. Also arma 3 has many other servers running game modes that are sandbox survival like dayz but guns and gear are much easier to find and its more PvP based so you should improve faster.

Yeah. Watched a load of FrankieOnPC videos and bought a cheap pc to try them out. It was garbage. Stopped playing for a while and then started watching TheRunningManZ and bought a new GPU, now it runs well so bought DayZ. Also bought ARMA 3 so might check out a few mods but DayZ is definitely the game I wanna be playing.

Tempted to look into running a server as it's cheap enough for a low slot server and could make it like a trading/dicking about server. Must check it out.

Dayz is actually playing great at moment and is looking good. I think its just too little too late for poor old Dayz. It could have been absolutely brilliant if the developers had done it right at the time

If they released a game as polished as this when the standalone first came out they might have made a go of it but not now. I enjoy playing the game for a few hours from time to time and it has a small but dedicated community. The day of zombie survival games is gone, battle royale games are the cool new thing now.

Whats happening in DayZ land these these? Anybody still playing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Laviski

DAYZ is done.

i've moved into escape from tarkove for the survival shooter fix. very good game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 NMHS

The new Livonia map is deadly! The new graphics engine has brought a lot to it too. A few friends and I got a private server to get used to the map and all the new crafting opportunities. Really enjoying it now having been a bit over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭vlad2009

https://youtu.be/kmPedT1vhEc

Just made this video in Dayz. I've recently revisited the game, and can say I've fallen in love with it again with mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Tried to go back to this with a friend.

We played it back in 2013, and i can safely say not much has changed.

They've reworked a lot of things, but collisions, actions and anything related to zombies is still in 2013 shape.

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Tried to go back to this with a friend.

We played it back in 2013, and i can safely say not much has changed.

They've reworked a lot of things, but collisions, actions and anything related to zombies is still in 2013 shape.

You need to try modded download DZSA launcher

• Advertisement

Reinstalled yesterday, played for about half an hour, found a ruck sack, a gun and no ammo. Died of hunger or thirst. In fairness it does look nice but I never seem to be able to find gear and dont talk to me about getting the correct ammo for guns. Maybe i need to try one of those modded survers.

Reinstalled yesterday, played for about half an hour, found a ruck sack, a gun and no ammo. Died of hunger or thirst. In fairness it does look nice but I never seem to be able to find gear and dont talk to me about getting the correct ammo for guns. Maybe i need to try one of those modded survers.

Public servers can be difficult as they have a lot of new players joining and the coastal areas are hard to find loot in. Some of the modded servers are crazy. I been playing on KarmaKrew server which is modded and TRMZ server which is vanilla. Both good.

Bohemia went down the "survival game" route much more than the mod ever did,lost a lot of the fun in the process imo

Doesnt say a lot for the game when I'd still rather fire up and play one of the DayZ type mods for Arma 2/3

It's not difficult at all to survive. Fill up on water at a well and kill an animal and your sorted food and drinks wise for hours. And a nice warm steak in your blouse pocket keeps you warm on those cold nights too.

The amount of modded servers, from Dear Isle, to Stalker, deathmatch to hardcore survival means there's a server out there to suit everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Bohemia went down the "survival game" route much more than the mod ever did,lost a lot of the fun in the process imo

Doesnt say a lot for the game when I'd still rather fire up and play one of the DayZ type mods for Arma 2/3

The mod (and mods of that mod) for ARMA 2 is where it was at really. A large portion of the mod userbase was more interested in the squad play/looting aspect rather than full on survival mechanics. I think most of that userbase went down the BR route of Pubg etc...

I must of logged about 1k hours in the mod but only have about 20 hours in SA. Never found is particularity engaging.

Haven't played for ages...

But...move inland quickly and concentrate on getting some food stocks first. Never mind your guns'n'ammo for a while. There'll be plenty of that later.

Right...

I jumped in for the first time in well over a year (possibly more) and WTF have they done to the interface? It's awful.

I can't change my gender...

I can't bind the arrow keys...

Anyone know how to do one or either?

This thing has been in development for years now and it's still a fucking mess. :rolleyes:

So I've noticed this just got a massive update recently and they've also hit a new record for number of players on steam. Is it having a bit of a revival, anyone playing this? I bought it when it first released years ago and never really played it. I thought it had been essentially abandoned.

Anytime i go back to Dayz I never seem to be able to find anything and just die of starvation... Saying that on my steam overlay if says ive played 118hrs of Dayz. Thats an awful lot of running around and finding nothing. I think I played the modded version alot in the past but its ages ago.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Are zombies actually in the game again, and are they any sort of threat? Seem to remember them being gone for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I also haven't played in ages but as far as I'm aware its functioning with zombies now for a good while unless they took them out again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I've been playing the modded versions for a while, much better than the base game which I quit a long time ago, a mate got me to try the modded servers and I've put another 100 hours into it since.

They're are extremes with 5x loot and traders etc but some with just quality of life mods added and some have more zombies etc

Namalsk and DeerIsle are good maps if your sick of chenaraus aswell.

Yeah zombies are there, depening on the server setup you're playing on they can vary from a mild inconvenience to proper threat.Zombies + blood suckers on Namalsk makes the military areas pretty risky. Currently running 2 servers(Namalsk, Chernarus), mods make the game much better as long as you don't go crazy with it. Keep the survival aspect while making some QoL improvements

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Been tempted to try get back into DayZ is there any group from here playing it? Not that interested in solo

I might give some of the modded servers a go so. I loved the namalsk map back in the mod days, very atmospheric.

I had a character that I was running with for over 5 months and the last update wiped him and everything he had, including a nice wee base and stash.

So I started again.

So far, I've died of starvation 3 times and once by some arse shooting me in the back.

LOL. DayZ.

Advertisement