Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-11-2018, 16:07   #2611
KingCong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger123 View Post
https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018...lors-planning/
Not housing related I know, but look at Shane Ross and the reopening of Stepaside Garda station. The station was closed by The Garda Commissioner for operational reasons and reopened within a year of him being elected.
Bit off topic but the station still hasn't re-opened and 3 businesses were burgled just this week directly across the road from the (closed) station. I believe that's the second time in a little over a year 2 of these premises have been robbed. There's a clear need for the garda station (also huge population increase in the area over the last few years).

https://lovindublin.com/news/break-in-stepaside-dublin
Advertisement
09-11-2018, 16:10   #2612
Andycap8

Cairn Homes is at 144c - 28% off its 52 week high
Glenveigh(sp) is at 83c - 34% of its 52 week high

The REITs (IRES & Hibernian) are a little more stable but the listed home builders are not doing well.
Yesterday, 08:30   #2613
Zenify

All Glenveigh do is build residential properties in the cities around Ireland. I had a look at the share price chart and its fallen off a cliff since the middle of summer. Anyone have any ideas why? Very interesting Andycap8, thanks for sharing.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 10:25   #2614
Bluefoam

My random thought for the day...

I grew up in Dublin, so my perspective is based on that... Wealth disparity is moving from a south/north divide to an east/west divide and what is worrying is that in the future we will have a property owning class v's a renting class.

That is all for now.
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 11:52   #2615
Marius34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenify View Post
All Glenveigh do is build residential properties in the cities around Ireland. I had a look at the share price chart and its fallen off a cliff since the middle of summer. Anyone have any ideas why? Very interesting Andycap8, thanks for sharing.
1) All the Europe stock market is down for ~10% since June, while Irelands Stock Exchange is around 15% down.
2) Expectations on constructions sector. On the negative side regarding construction in Ireland, is the slowdown in price/demands, while increase in costs, in particular shortage of labor, and some materials like timber and steel etc. For this year they plan to reach capacity of 800units. And increasing to 1400 by 2020. Unfortunately this won't happen if the property price won't go up, since the costs would go up anyway.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
Yesterday, 12:27   #2616
sunnyday1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotboogie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_cork View Post
The lack of properties to rent in Cork City is scary at the moment. When I go onto Daft.ie for a cursory look at available properties to rent i am shocked at how few are available/how expensive they are/how many views each available property is getting i.e.people desperate to find somewhere.
Absolutely loads in the pipeline though; 800 in Carrigaline, 600 in Glanmire and 200 in Ballincollig all under constructuon. Douglas alone has nearly 1,000 units in the fast track planning, with another two sites with capacity for over 1,000 again on the market. Mahon got planning for 600 units, Glounthane and Sundays Well got planning for 200 units each and the docklands Marquee site sold and has capacity for 1,000 apartments. All of this in a city with a population of just over 200,000. If the economy stays strong and the rampant NIMBYs are kept at bay, the discussion in Cork will start to move away from housing and towards chronic transport congestion.
Agreed, the link is already becoming the new M50. We all know about the tunnel and little island is a disaster. I am commuting into Cork from North Cork for 10 years now and it has gotten so much worse in that time, its unreal
Thanks from:
Yesterday, 12:27   #2617
sunnyday1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by snotboogie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_cork View Post
The lack of properties to rent in Cork City is scary at the moment. When I go onto Daft.ie for a cursory look at available properties to rent i am shocked at how few are available/how expensive they are/how many views each available property is getting i.e.people desperate to find somewhere.
Absolutely loads in the pipeline though; 800 in Carrigaline, 600 in Glanmire and 200 in Ballincollig all under constructuon. Douglas alone has nearly 1,000 units in the fast track planning, with another two sites with capacity for over 1,000 again on the market. Mahon got planning for 600 units, Glounthane and Sundays Well got planning for 200 units each and the docklands Marquee site sold and has capacity for 1,000 apartments. All of this in a city with a population of just over 200,000. If the economy stays strong and the rampant NIMBYs are kept at bay, the discussion in Cork will start to move away from housing and towards chronic transport congestion.
Agreed, the link is already becoming the new M50. We all know about the tunnel and little island is a disaster. I am commuting into Cork from North Cork for 10 years now and it has gotten so much worse in that time, its unreal
Yesterday, 18:33   #2618
snotboogie

https://www.cisireland.com/media/214...ity-report.pdf

Interesting report with a significant section on residential developments Q1 to Q3 2018. Very interesting figures on the fast track planning too
(3) thanks from:
Today, 07:47   #2619
Interested Observer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyday1234 View Post
I visited Cork a load of times over the past 12 months and I could not believe the traffic situation. The city is just overloaded. The junction at the end of the M8 is being redeveloped I think which should help, it's a disaster. If they can remove all the lights it'll help no end.
Advertisement
Today, 07:54   #2620
beauf

Dublin is already at stupid levels of traffic.

How ever demand is so high especially from FTB and renters that it's pointless complaining about the bad planning. Anything goes theses days. They'll build anywhere.
Today, 11:01   #2621
OwlsZat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post

How ever demand is so high especially from FTB and renters that it's pointless complaining about the bad planning. Anything goes theses days. They'll build anywhere.
Yes FTBs and bad planning are the reason for the stupid levels of traffic in Dublin. We must stop all building in our capital city.
Today, 11:29   #2622
beauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlsZat View Post
Yes FTBs and bad planning are the reason for the stupid levels of traffic in Dublin. We must stop all building in our capital city.
Thus far its move everything to Dublin.
How will people move around, dunno.

Hows that working out for you.
Thanks from:
Today, 11:35   #2623
engiweirdo

The next big plan is turn Cork into Dublin mk2. We're absolutely blessed to have such amazing minds in charge of this nation. Blessed.
Thanks from:
Today, 12:51   #2624
Ray Palmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauf View Post

If you think Dublin traffic is bad now you haven't seen anything yet. Congestion really isn't that bad here and we have a lot worse to come.

Traffic is a huge factor in prices of property. Given planning gets blocked all the time I don't know how you can say anything goes.

Personally I won't work anything that take longer than a hour to get to. Friends bought further out from the city because they weren't going to spend "crazy" money for a small house when they could buy bigger for less further out. Then he is all surprised when his commute started taking longer and longer as more and more houses were built in between his house and the city. I literally had a conversation with him about how his commute would get worse as time went on. Now he has 4-5 hour daily commute which is about what I do in a week. The expense of the 2 cars they have is huge and their kids are in the cars for hours each day. No way to live but their choice
Today, 18:51   #2625
KevinCavan

I’m actually glad rents are at Fcukin crazy levels and that houses have shot up in price. I can’t wait for the wheels to come off, the more mad it gets the better at this stage.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion