Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What book are you reading atm??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Thinking fast and slow.

Interesting but labours the point a tad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Flew through A Thousand Splendid Suns on holidays. Such a brilliant read, bloody heartbreaking!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I found by accident a book I've had with years called Legends, a compilation of short stories including one of the prequel novella's to a Song of Ice and Fire called The Hedge Knight. was in my element when I discovered it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Couldn't put down Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch.
    Then discovered there's a whole series!!

They're a brilliant read. Best I've read all year actually.
    Heartily recommend them!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Just finished The Silence of the Lambs, thoroughly enjoyed it

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Reading The Island of the Day Before by Umberto Eco. It's excellent. he has such an amazing way with language, and sometimes I don't even recognise the words he's using, let alone understand them, but am still pulled in by the sheer exuberance of it all. Also helps that its pretty damn funny at times! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Just started 'Thinking, Fast and Slow' by Daniel Kahneman.

My interest was piqued by the following review from the Financial Times on the back cover 'There have been many good books on human rationality and irrationality but only one masterpiece. This is one of the greatest and most engaging collections of insights into the human mind I have read'.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6 cballrun

Year of the Intern (1972) by Robin Cook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

'Just Kids' by Patti Smith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

I just finished Dracula (finally) today. To be honest, I liked it in parts but the writing style was just not my cup of tea.

Next book is George Orwell's 1984 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭czechlin

cloudatlas wrote: »
    The Harry Hole series is a bit out of synch if you are reading it in translation. It starts with 'the Bat', which is rated poorly and it doesn't have much bearing on the rest of the series, sometimes it's mentioned in passing. The second book 'Cockroaches' is being released in December. Most people start with 'The Redbreast' the third book which is one of my favourites. (I cheated and skipped ahead to 'The Snowman' and then back tracked to 'The Redbreast'). Jo Nesbo writes each book as a standalone but for the fans that read the whole series there is the reward of a few peripheral threads running through the books that add an extra dimension if you start with 'the redbreast'. It's a good series, the cases are satisfyingly complex and Nesbo writes in a very filmic way.

I was in a bookshop the other day and The Snowman was on sale so I couldn't really leave it there. I'm way into Part 2 of the book and really enjoying it. Will definitely read the other books. I'll try to read them in some sort of an order from the next one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

Lord Foul's Bane (The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever,#1) by Stephen r. Donaldson

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

The autobiography of Malcolm X

• Registered Users Posts: 11,304 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Just finished Part One of Tim Pat Coogan's Michael Collins bio and a de Valera one by T. Ryle Dwyer. Both were from the Indo's Irish biography series a couple of years back. Both quite interesting, especially the dev one as I think most of my history knowledge would be Collins based.

Currently about half way through "A Hundred and One Days: A Baghdad Journal" by Asne Seierstad. Had read The Bookseller of Kabul by her and finding the current book more interesting. Would recommend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Con Cremin: Ireland's Wartime Diplomat. It's a decent account of Ireland's diplomat in Vichy France and Nazi Germany during World War 2.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Wizard- the Nikola Tesla story.
    This is available online in those ebook libraries for free and so far I heartily recommend it.
    If only for the fact that people including members of his family, maintain Tesla was left on earth by an alien ship, as a child and was meant to make things better for us.
    It's written by his grand-nephew and really moves at a fair clip. And the guy was genius beyond telling. Give it a go
    9780806535562_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Just reading Sorceress of Darshiva by David Eddings atm. It's the fourth book of the 5 part Malloreon series. Standard fantasy fare but an entertaining read all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

Hunger by Knut Hamsen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

The Shining by Stephen King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 secretagent

Bad Times In Buenos Aires by Miranda France. Very funny and sad account of living there. It's most famous resident hasn't been back there since his promotion, not surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I predict a riot by Colin Bateman, it's set in Belfast and he captures the dark humour well, good page turner.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

The Doors of Perception by Aldous Huxley

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

11/22/63 by Stephen King, an entertaining read so far, but hardly a classic.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The wolves of mid winter by Ann Rice, it is only alright but as I have started it I will finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Started A Clockwork Orange. Very interesting, however I did not realize I needed to know Russian for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Finished The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty recently which was a thumping good read - couldn't put it down and have recommended it to lots of people since!

Have a couple of chapters left of Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler which is very good too, have flown through it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭HansHolzel

Cré na Cille. It's set in Albania.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

1Q84 by Haruki Murakami - I like it and I don't normally go for this kinda stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Found a load of books in the folks' attic, purchased as a pretentious teen.

Currently reading "The Plague" by Albert Camus.

• Advertisement

The Odyssey, Homer.

Bored off my face :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement