Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-07-2010, 22:24   #16

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=10
Advertisement
20-07-2010, 22:54   #17

Thanks a million Degsy, just checking gumtree now. dont mind working for 300-400 a week, as you say anythings better then jobseekers.

And thanks Makikomi, your sentiment is appreciated, although I'm keeping the head up, got that natural Dublin optimism and a beautiful wife

and good one on making it a sticky, for Dublin city job advice.

EDIT:

Ok spent past hour or so on gumtree Dublin jobs section, and it's depressing!
mostly people looking for work, some of them desperately so.
Alot of spam which is always expected on gumtree.

Begun to apply for job advertised as staff required for Dublin restaurant opening soon,
Half way through the application it reveals it's in UK not Dublin!

There were some legitimate jobs advertised, but for the enormous amount of posts, only a very small percentage were legitimate, the rest was spam or people looking for work themselves.

Can't say I recommend gumtree for jobs although I will add it to my watch list as it seems to have some legit ads as I said. though you have to wade through tons of spam to find them.

Last edited by CCCP; 21-07-2010 at 00:07.
21-07-2010, 01:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
I do have nearly 2 years kitchen porter experience (my first job) and it was all late shifts
Oh, I feel your pain, my first job, I lasted 14 months and took abuse most days
And as a pretty quiet lad, in my experience many chefs are bullies and think nothing of roaring at you to show it's "their" kitchen.

There are night porter jobs out there.
It may be the best paid non-management role out there. I'm not talking head receptionist or duty manager, you are going for a non-management role.
Thanks from:
21-07-2010, 01:54   #19

Man forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but what exactly does a night porter do??
21-07-2010, 01:58   #20

Mostly cleaning, while chamber maids do the rooms and there is usually a kitchen cleaning crew the rest of the public areas in the hotel get done mostly at night by the night porter which includes the function rooms after a do, they also have to do night time room service.

If there is a function on they end up having to deal with drunk people and then drunk residents.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2010, 02:04   #21

im a complete night owl anyway ,sounds ideal!
21-07-2010, 02:11   #22

Night Porter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Man forgive my ignorance, and this may be a dumb question, but what exactly does a night porter do??
You run the hotel! You are not a supervisor or have any team to manage but you manage a hotel and hundreds of drunken residents.

On a quiet night it's easy.
Clean the lobby and the bar.
Did early morning continental (cereal and toast,tea/coffee) runs for residents who want that.
Big thing is fire check every hour, you'll get fit from all the walking and up and down stairs every hour.
That's a quiet night.

On a busy night you take a world of abuse from wedding parties and functions when you won't serve drink at 4am.
Golden rule"If you serve one person you serve everyone" otherwise you create even more trouble for yourself.

You work for maybe 12 -15euro an hour, ok wage but are responsible for a hotel and over 200 people.
If a row breaks out and people get hurt, management will blame you and you get to complete an incident report, hurray.Every hotel has a handover book. Ever go to a garda station and the garda lifts out a massive book to write the days notes? Hotels do the very same. Even if you under 10 stone like me and weak as weak can be management expect you to break up rows in the lobby!

Yes, just you on your own with the local garda station on speeddial, residents screaming in your face for more drink at 4am and a lobby and bar to clean, sweep and mop before breakfast shift arrives.

Not a bad job after all
(2) thanks from:
21-07-2010, 02:14   #23

Would you work through the night, or just till the wee hours?

would it be like 12-9 am?? what time of day did you normally wake up after getting home to bed? just curios!
21-07-2010, 02:25   #24

Ah no, the morning shift starts at 7am or at least 8am
Hotel industry is not a 9-5 job

Night porter is out the door by 8am at latest and free breakfast from the chefs.
Keep the breakfast chef sweet, get on their good side

Shift would never start at 12pm, receptionist leave before then and you are a receptionist primarily. So if you do an interview, dress smart!

10pm-7am or 11pm-8am is typical, no way will you be there at 9am.
When it is easy, it's extremly easy and you can watch TV most of the night and when it's difficult you are on your own with no backup so be confident and if you cannot eject someone, the gardai will respond immediately to a call from a hotel.

Key tip, go to sleep immediately when you get home.
It's now the summer, hot days and kids playing outside.
Trust me, if your neighbours children are loud and play outside, you'll soon develop murderous tendencies and wish them ill
Can't sleep with window closed as too warm, can't sleep with window open due to noise, solution is window is closed and buy a fan

When I did this full time I did 6 nights a week. Home by 9am as I walked and into bed by 9am and up around 1am. One day out of 7 I'd sleep longer. Seriously, whoever said you need 8 hours sleep needs to reconsider their position. I learned a habit from working hours, even now I sleep 3-4 hours a night.

Last edited by mikemac; 21-07-2010 at 02:50. Reason: corrected times
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-07-2010, 02:32   #25

I assume you mean 10pm - 7 am or 11pm - 8 am (not pm)

I could sleep through world war 3 so that's not too bad, I suppose id be waking at 3 or 4 pm each day after sleeping. You know, i'm really gonna look into this, don't suppose you know any good websites to check for this type of job? or if you need any certification for this job (HAACP for example)
I'm pretty imposing so wouldn't be worried about breaking up fights.

I'm gonna hit FAS up for a PSA licence also, see if I can get into security, seems to be alot of jobs going there.

And thanks a million for the advise and info

Last edited by CCCP; 21-07-2010 at 02:44.
21-07-2010, 02:45   #26

Oops, time corrected

I like www.irishjobs.ie as it's very easy to use.
If I were you I would not drop my CV in local hotels.
Dress smart in a suit, go to local hotels and ask for general manager, duty manager will do also.
And hand your CV confidently and explain what you can do, mention your kitchen porter experience and flexibility. EVERYBODY knows kitchen porter is a tough job and will respect you for that.

You have an advantage.
Managers don't like trusting a multi million hotel and 200 residents to a 19 year old but I did it. Your age is an advantage.
Do not phone and ask for a job, you and every sucker on the dole and from Europe does that. Be confident and walk in a suit and impress the general manager.

Turnover in a hotel is huge
Do not settle for minimum wage, I'd look for 12-15 euro an hour minimum and I know the times we are in but you run the hotel on your own!
(2) thanks from:
21-07-2010, 02:56   #27

So as this threads a sticky for dublin people looking for work,
we can add hotel night porter as a potential job to the list of possible jobs for those desperatly seeking work.
21-07-2010, 03:05   #28

It's not a job for people desperatly seeking work, only the best people are top night porters
Anyway, Dublin is full of hotels and there are jobs going but dropping in the CV is not enough, must meet the manager and make an impression.

But yes, it's an ideal job for students or people willing to work the hell that is known as night shift *shudder, never again*
21-07-2010, 13:22   #29
Degsy
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Degsy
Just aheads up folks..was in temple Bar with a friend on monday and quite a few places are looking for Chefs..now i dont know if they want actual chefs or just cooks but its certainly worth checking out.
21-07-2010, 15:58   #30
ironictoaster

It's complete nightmare searching for a job when you're only trying to start off in the working world with very little work experience. Nothing in my local area or city centre.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion