Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deals On Sky TV Service - (Mostly Cancellation deals)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Live at Three

Damien360 wrote: »
    My Sky is account and offers - rarely used
    Sky Go - out and about - limited content unless you have sports
    Sky Q - for viewing sky on any device inside network. Multiroom for other devices.

Without multiroom the Sky Q app becomes useless. Sky Go becomes a chargeable service without multiroom also. The mini box for second room does not need an input other network connection so you can move it anywhere in your house. Before this, Sky HD multiroom was fixed to one TV and one location due to input from dish required.

Ok, so if I get rid of multi room (€17.50) Sky q app will stop working?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ok, so if I get rid of multi room (€17.50) Sky q app will stop working?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

My 12 month subscription ended in Oct so I scheduled cancellation and they rang back in the final week before I finished and we came to an agreement on my bill. Have Sky Q with phone, broadband and all the channels plus a multiroom. Agreed on price and I check my bank acc on Fri and find out they totally reneged on agreement. Rang them and they say they can't find any notes relating to said agreement. There was a 25% offer on my account up to end of year but it wasn't applied on this offer so they just continued with the bill I was paying up to Oct. Can I go ahead and cancel debit in bank. Offer was over phone so should surely have a record of me accepting it. Has anyone any idea what I can do here

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Cancelled my Sky two weeks ago. Got a text yesterday offering 35% off so took that. Had asked about that when cancelling but wouldn't give it to me. Sigh the hassle to get a decent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im gone over 2 years and I got a call yesterday offering me 40% off any package. Im happy enough with my Netflix, Free to Air, Saorview and Freeview channels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Luna Moon Hunter

Cancelled earlier today. I was offered €8 off entertainment package and was told that because I was on 50% few times in the past they're not going to offer me any bigger discount and that they don't apparently do call back offers anymore, so not to expect any offers from them unless I change my mind about the cancellation and ring them up. Also something about them putting 12 month notice on the address so that no one else can sign up under different name - I'm actually renting and hoping to get own place in the next year so I asked what will happen if someone else moves in - apparently they'll need a proof that they're new occupant ( can they actually fo that??? It sounds a bit dar fetched tbh)

Anyway, stood my ground and gave my monthly notice. Will wait and see what happens. If they won't budge will manage with Netflix and Free to Air and will look into Now TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Luna Moon Hunter

My 12 month subscription ended in Oct so I scheduled cancellation and they rang back in the final week before I finished and we came to an agreement on my bill. Have Sky Q with phone, broadband and all the channels plus a multiroom. Agreed on price and I check my bank acc on Fri and find out they totally reneged on agreement. Rang them and they say they can't find any notes relating to said agreement. There was a 25% offer on my account up to end of year but it wasn't applied on this offer so they just continued with the bill I was paying up to Oct. Can I go ahead and cancel debit in bank. Offer was over phone so should surely have a record of me accepting it. Has anyone any idea what I can do here

They should have a record of that phone call - ask them to find it. I had a similar problem a few years ago - reneved my contract over the phone but as I knew I was going to be moving I asked them for a free house move / free installation at my new address. When the move came later in a year they were going to charge me for it - asked them to chase up that phone call which they did and they honoured the free house move.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

It won't help you now, but here's a piece of advice for future reference - download a call recording app (there are loads available in the App and/or Play stores) and record all calls with them, or anyone else in a similar context, yourself.

Then when or if they try to dodge their responsibility or deny agreements that they've made after the fact, by saying that they can't find the recording or are unable to locate the 'notes', or some other such nonsense; you'll have your own record of everything that was said and agreed to - and they'll have no choice but to adhere to their word or face the consequences.

These companies have been taking the utter piss with their charges and their customer (mis)treatment for years, whenever they thought they could get away with it.
    So we should all know better than to trust them blindly, to always be upfront with us now; and doing this is a means of protecting yourself or proving your position, in the event of it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

It won't help you now, but here's a piece of advice for future reference - download a call recording app (there are loads available in the App and/or Play stores) and record all calls with them, or anyone else in a similar context, yourself.

Then when or if they try to dodge their responsibility or deny agreements that they've made after the fact, by saying that they can't find the recording or are unable to locate the 'notes', or some other such nonsense; you'll have your own record of everything that was said and agreed to - and they'll have no choice but to adhere to their word or face the consequences.

These companies have been taking the utter piss with their charges and their customer (mis)treatment for years, whenever they thought they could get away with it.
    So we should all know better than to trust them blindly, to always be upfront with us now; and doing this is a means of protecting yourself or proving your position, in the event of it happening.

Just remember you have to tell them you are recording the call. It doesn't matter what they say once it will not matter unless you tell them

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

piplip87 wrote: »
    Just remember you have to tell them you are recording the call. It doesn't matter what they say once it will not matter unless you tell them
    This is incorrect. You are entitled to record your call without informing the other party. There is no requirement to inform them.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Esel wrote: »
    This is incorrect. You are entitled to record your call without informing the other party. There is no requirement to inform them.

Yes they are, you have to have consent from the other party to record them.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

I also recording the call for quality purposes.....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It has been discussed a number of times in the Legal Discussion forum. I'm afraid you are incorrect.

As long as one party (you in this case) is aware the call is being recorded, that is sufficient.

I agree it seems counter-intuitive. :)

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Guys.... a quick definitive answer needed here: I have Sky+ setup and am going to Sky Q - can the Sky Q work/run on the current cabling???

Anybody got any experience on same??If not ... what cable do I need as I will need to buy in advance and pull it thru.... my house is a nightmare on access to attics / ceilings / built in units etc and I couldn't have a Sky Engineer in there !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Masala wrote: »
    Guys.... a quick definitive answer needed here: I have Sky+ setup and am going to Sky Q - can the Sky Q work/run on the current cabling???

Anybody got any experience on same??If not ... what cable do I need as I will need to buy in advance and pull it thru.... my house is a nightmare on access to attics / ceilings / built in units etc and I couldn't have a Sky Engineer in there !!!

Your current cables should be fine. The sky tech will need to change your LNB.

If you have multi room they won’t need those wires. Sky Q mini boxes are wireless and easily movable.

ads20101 wrote: »
    Your current cables should be fine. The sky tech will need to change your LNB.

If you have multi room they won’t need those wires. Sky Q mini boxes are wireless and easily movable.

Many thanks......that’s a load off my mind!! Probably keep the wires in place.... and keep the sky box. If I fall out with Sky down the line ... I can always watch freeview for free

Yes. I went from Sky+ to Sky Q and no need to change cables. I asked for a hybrid LNB as that has to be changed. Leaves me the option of switching to freesat in future if price gets too silly.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Yes. I went from Sky+ to Sky Q and no need to change cables. I asked for a hybrid LNB as that has to be changed. Leaves me the option of switching to freesat in future if price gets too silly.

Thanks Damien..... so when I get the call from the Engineer,,,I should tell him to 'bring a Hybrid LNB' ?? How many connections can that take. My current setup has 4 connections on a 4 head LNB (I think..... 2 for the SKY+ to the Sky Box in sitting room and 1 to the kitchen for freesat and 1 to bedroom for freesat) Can I ask him to keep the Kitchen and bedroom as is???

Thanks Damien..... so when I get the call from the Engineer,,,I should tell him to 'bring a Hybrid LNB' ?? How many connections can that take. My current setup has 4 connections on a 4 head LNB (I think..... 2 for the SKY+ to the Sky Box in sitting room and 1 to the kitchen for freesat and 1 to bedroom for freesat) Can I ask him to keep the Kitchen and bedroom as is???

Sorry for the delay, I was at peace proms. Ask the engineer on the day. They usually have them. I don't think they are obliged to do anything other than sky connection but no harm asking nicely, offer tea and cakes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Mr.Maroon

ctlsleh wrote: »
    I also recording the call for quality purposes.....:)

Slightly off topic - but can you recommend a good app from the Play Store?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Kellford

Out of contract with sky, paying variety, sports & broadband, if i ring and cancel what are chances of getting discount or would i be better off signing as new customer. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 45,821 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Kellford wrote: »
    Out of contract with sky, paying variety, sports & broadband, if i ring and cancel what are chances of getting discount
    That question has been asked and answered a hundred times in this thread. Handiest option is to ring and say you want to cancel as you cant afford it any longer. Dont listen to any proposals to rearrange your package to save money so just continue with the proposal to cancel. If you're out of contract you will definitely get an offer.

The best option is to actually cancel and call back a day after you're cut off. Always better offers that way.

Kellford wrote: »
    would i be better off signing as new customer. thanks
    How do you propose to do that? You do realise that you have to gone for a year before you are classed as a new customer. There are ways around it so if you're a gambler then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

There are ways around it so if you're a gambler then go for it.

Easiest way is to change name and address into Irish.
    Always worked for me in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,616 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭The Darkness

okidoki987 wrote: »
    On hotukdeals.com
    Some difference in what it costs over here!

It certainly is; indeed, even more so when you consider that a lot of the people commenting there actually think that it's expensive, relative to what they're paying/have paid.

Especially this by jaydeeuk1, if it's accurate:

"£45 a month seems a lot, I remember paying sub £25 for everything with the 75% off deal for a couple of years."

When did they ever offer 75% off deals here?

This country really is such a relentless rip-off; and it's only getting worse, not better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

When did they ever offer 75% off deals here?

This country really is such a relentless rip-off; and it's only getting worse, not better.

I've always had a minimum of 50% discount since about 2008 from Sky. Every year, I do the cancel/don't go/letmego/goso/please come back dance every 12 months. Once I had 75% off for 12 months and once I had 100% off, incl movies and sports for 9 months. (that's going back a few years though).

Last year was the first year where they didn't make a decent offer, so the cancellation went through on my account. We got a good new customer offer to move to Sky Q under my wifes name and now we're out of contract again this month. We'll cancel that and see what offers come from the cancellation team.

Meanwhile, I've had 3 missed calls from the win-back team in the last 24 hours (they called me last August and I asked them to check in with me around now).

we'll see which team makes the best offer!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

ablelocks wrote: »
    I've always had a minimum of 50% discount since about 2008 from Sky. Every year, I do the cancel/don't go/letmego/goso/please come back dance every 12 months. Once I had 75% off for 12 months and once I had 100% off, incl movies and sports for 9 months. (that's going back a few years though).

Last year was the first year where they didn't make a decent offer, so the cancellation went through on my account. We got a good new customer offer to move to Sky Q under my wifes name and now we're out of contract again this month. We'll cancel that and see what offers come from the cancellation team.

Meanwhile, I've had 3 missed calls from the win-back team in the last 24 hours (they called me last August and I asked them to check in with me around now).

we'll see which team makes the best offer!

Cancellations team : for entertainment + HD - increased after contract from 31.50 to 49.99, then reduced to 35 and now reduced to €28.50. 12 month contract. (2TB box would be 179 to upgrade, but she said hold off till summer and there would probably be deals on it then) Total €342, and no messing around with engineers and swapping boxes etc.

Win-back Team : upgrade box to 2tb, add 1 sky q mini for a net cost of €10. Entertainment pack = 29.99 + 17.50 for HD = 47.50. can't rem if it was a 12 or 18 month contract. Total €580 + all the bother of swapping boxes.

Have asked win back team to include HD and someone will be back tomorrow, but I don't expect to get it so will probably just stick to the lower monthly cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’ll actually be cancelling for real this year !

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Kellford wrote:
    Out of contract with sky, paying variety, sports & broadband, if i ring and cancel what are chances of getting discount or would i be better off signing as new customer. thanks

Rang them a few months ago, told them I wanted to cancel Sky Sports only. We've never had the movies. Expected some kind of offer from them but nothing, so the cancellation went ahead. Honestly, I don't miss it as apart from the soccer, I got fed up scrolling through the golf/cricket etc. I'd also cancelled the BT package but would be more likely to go back with them than Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

I'm paying 73e (increased mid contract from 71e)
    My contract is up in a few weeks. I'm wondering how to play this?
    When I say I want to cancel do I take their first rebuttal offer or actually go ahead and cancel. If I do the latter can do expect them to call me a few days later with an offer? If I cancel will it take the usual 5-10 working days to get reconnected? Will I even need an engineer to come out? Apoligies for the all the questions but am fed up paying a fortune to sky. Was going to switch to Eir......until I read all the threads on here!

Advertisement