Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Networks - Apprenticeship program

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Duck duck Graham

No practical work planned until after the initial 2 weeks.
    12 or less students Torbie and I believe 5 females will be joining this time around, masks are provided but have 1 each morning entering the building from the car park.
    All clothing and tools were given to us on day 1. Tea and coffee facilities including scones etc and a roll/sandwich each day for lunch if you want one.

Great to here , how old are you when you started apprenticeship?
    Are you not worried of getting let go at the end of apprenticeship as I have heard it happens alot and they only keep on so many .

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Biffinator

Cheers for the updates Paddy, just knowing it's finally kicking off is great :)

There will be no worries about not having work after completing the apprenticeship,it's more like doing a 4 year paid degree :) you can still apply to positions that open like they're currently hiring NTs and there's further education options too.

Lots of trades run on contract work anyway so it's a reality you'd have to get used to (Money point might provide alot of work )
    it's an opportunity if anything to move about, go abroad build up your work hours in different fields :)

I'm "old" getting into this at 29 but I've been through college and worked a regular job and I found contracting alot more to my liking and a trade really helps that so it's a win win

[quote="Biffinator;116938764"
    There will be no worries about not having work after completing the apprenticeship,it's more like doing a 4 year paid degree :) you can still apply to positions that open like they're currently hiring NTs and there's further education options too.

Lots of trades run on contract work anyway so it's a reality you'd have to get used to (Money point might provide alot of work )
    it's an opportunity if anything to move about, go abroad build up your work hours in different fields :)

I'm "old" getting into this at 29 but I've been through college and worked a regular job and I found contracting alot more to my liking and a trade really helps that so it's a win win[/quote]

29 isnt old to start an apprenticeship I wouldn't worry about that alot of companies actually prefer older apprentices .

I would say it would be alot more difficult to move into different areas vs an electrician apprenticeship alot more options to move into where a ESB apprenticeship wouldn't be able to go into . Just make sure you have a plan where you want to be in a couple of years time .

Renewables is the plan :)

Biffinator wrote: »
    Renewables is the plan :)

Good choice Plenty of electricians doing that already .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I rang the maldron and they said that the rates for ESB are €63 for the night or €73 with breakfast, just to let you’s know :) bit expensive but sure look what can you do.

Can you expense them? Does the contract say where your base is? It’s be worth asking HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dizmiz2000

No practical work planned until after the initial 2 weeks.
    12 or less students Torbie and I believe 5 females will be joining this time around, masks are provided but have 1 each morning entering the building from the car park.
    All clothing and tools were given to us on day 1. Tea and coffee facilities including scones etc and a roll/sandwich each day for lunch if you want one.
    I'm starting on 10th May,
    With the workwear what brand is it? and how do you find the sizing?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jakeesb2020

I’m starting on the 10th of May aswell the sizing is attached on the email we got there’s two attachments at the very bottom of the email.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭torbie

I’m starting on the 10th of May aswell the sizing is attached on the email we got there’s two attachments at the very bottom of the email.

How is it going with all the Newbies ? Hope it a positive experience

Hi all,
    How are you settling in with the job? Any tips for the people going to start?

Question: when you get your uniform do you wear it after that? Or just ordinary clothes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Have the people that did the 2021 ESB recruitment campaign heard anything back yet?

job seeker wrote: »
    Have the people that did the 2021 ESB recruitment campaign heard anything back yet?

Ok I’ll take that as a no..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kaydog

Not much to report. Got 2 emails. 1 saying shortlisting was ongoing. Another to say shortlisting is still ongoing with an update in June. There's another esb thread which people have discussed the 2021 campaign thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Larryduff2018

I got the thanks but no thanks email my friend thou has applied again this year and he hasn't heard back yet if through to next stage. He has a nice bit of electrical experience so be interesting to see how he goes.
    It will be June id reckon. Its a fierce slow process

This is my second time applying. Think I've given myself a chance this year although aptitude could have gone better. Working off the assumption no news is good news atm. No electrical experience myself. Agreed it's very slow

kaydog wrote: »
    Not much to report. Got 2 emails. 1 saying shortlisting was ongoing. Another to say shortlisting is still ongoing with an update in June. There's another esb thread which people have discussed the 2021 campaign thus far.
    I got the thanks but no thanks email my friend thou has applied again this year and he hasn't heard back yet if through to next stage. He has a nice bit of electrical experience so be interesting to see how he goes.
    It will be June id reckon. Its a fierce slow process
    This is my second time applying. Think I've given myself a chance this year although aptitude could have gone better. Working off the assumption no news is good news atm. No electrical experience myself. Agreed it's very slow

Thanks, folks for the update, It is my brother that is applying. So I was trying to find out for him. :) Second time for my brother also. He banking everything on this apprenticeship. He's desperate to get in.. But sure we'll see what happens. Thanks again I appreciate the info!

Tell your brother best of luck and either way theres something out there for everyone. Another friend if mine applied didn't get esb but got apprenticeship with another big company and he loves it.
    He was same banking on esb apprenticeship.
    Whats for ya won't pass ya.
    Best of luck everyone im out of the running but my buddy has to hear back yet so hopefully he'll be lucky this time round.

So for all the people starting on Tuesday 8th - did you get a call saying that its extended to 6 weeks ?
    A bit of a shock. And the extra pressure of the driving lessons to sort out.

Got the dreaded email today, didn't make the final cut for interview, disappointed as felt I froze abit during aptitude which cost me just those few extra marks needed to progress. Have applied for Irish rail electrical apprenticeship (and 1 or 2 others), felt I done better on that so here's hoping. One that got away though. Good luck to other applicants.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dildert123

Got the dreaded email today, didn't make the final cut for interview, disappointed as felt I froze abit during aptitude which cost me just those few extra marks needed to progress. Have applied for Irish rail electrical apprenticeship (and 1 or 2 others), felt I done better on that so here's hoping. One that got away though. Good luck to other applicants.

Sorry to hear that man.......i did the irish rail ones myself and thought they were easier then the esb ones.
    I still haven't heard anything myself yet.
    Did you write much on the personal statement ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Dunneclan01

I still haven't received an email yet, is this normal?

I still haven't received an email yet, is this normal?

What was the last email you got?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Dunneclan01

Dildert123 wrote: »
    What was the last email you got?

The one where they mentioned that they would contact me again in June to provide an update on the status of my application

Yeah im the same atm.....no news is good news now.

Hey torbie sorry only seeing it now but no I didn't hear anything about the 6 weeks , I was waiting for them to tell me that on the first day but that was always the fear, at least it's a small bit of heads-up but yeah that's alot to take on . As for those waiting ,I've been reading back over 12 years of ESB threads and it was always super slow(pages and pages of people asking have you heard yet etc) even pre covid so if you've not heard keep the faith it looks like good news hold on just a while longer

Just got another email to let me know that the shortlisting is still ongoing.

Anyone else hear of interview yet?

Day one down. As I wanted to hear what it was like in there I'd like to share a few points but have to keep it limited as it's private data etc and I want to do nothing to risk this place ( you will be briefed but it's basically non disclosure).Points to give to potential new recruits , if you don't have your full license do your utmost best to get it ASAP , block book , book multiple lessons with diff instructors do what you have to do ,it will come back to you greatly (covid has brought some very nice benefits but only for a while ;) ) , to those wondering difference between ESB apprenticeships and regular ones , ESB technicians absolutely can and do become regular technicians. Our trainer explained to us that he has friends who hook up a premise and then after half 4 when they're done in ESB they go on the other side of the meter and wire it up so your twice as in demand . The training,benefits and everything else about this course are like nothing I have ever seen and I've had a pretty exceptional career from working with the rubber bandits to Metallica and touring Europe. well deserving of one of the top apprenticeships in Europe . If you can pass the aptitude you are well able for this they tested us a little on the deeper end of the 1st two years of the line work side of things and it's just understanding the difference between single and three phase ,LV/MV/HV etc . It will obviously go more in depth with time but if you have fear of not being able to do it don't take it in stride that's what the probation is for . Hang on is all I'll say the process is slow ( it was alot slower for us but completely worth the wait) the longer you wait the more chance you have that someone will get sick of it and drop out, their loss. About 3 of us including me got told no due to covid cutbacks but got in because someone else had moved on . It's slow and nail biting for sure . 5 key points are safety number one obviously , attitude , time keeping , social skills and one more I forget already I'll check notes and edit in a bit xD the amount being kept on is a higher percent than previous years too obviously with covid less numbers mean more chance but now is a fantastic time to get into ESB with the amount of work that is planned for the next couple of years. Best of luck all , you haven't been told no yet which means your probably in the top 100 of 1000s of applicants , just keep the faith what's for you won't pass you :)

Biffinator wrote: »
    Day one down. As I wanted to hear what it was like in there I'd like to share a few points but have to keep it limited as it's private data etc and I want to do nothing to risk this place ( you will be briefed but it's basically non disclosure).Points to give to potential new recruits , if you don't have your full license do your utmost best to get it ASAP , block book , book multiple lessons with diff instructors do what you have to do ,it will come back to you greatly (covid has brought some very nice benefits but only for a while ;) ) , to those wondering difference between ESB apprenticeships and regular ones , ESB technicians absolutely can and do become regular technicians. Our trainer explained to us that he has friends who hook up a premise and then after half 4 when they're done in ESB they go on the other side of the meter and wire it up so your twice as in demand . The training,benefits and everything else about this course are like nothing I have ever seen and I've had a pretty exceptional career from working with the rubber bandits to Metallica and touring Europe. well deserving of one of the top apprenticeships in Europe . If you can pass the aptitude you are well able for this they tested us a little on the deeper end of the 1st two years of the line work side of things and it's just understanding the difference between single and three phase ,LV/MV/HV etc . It will obviously go more in depth with time but if you have fear of not being able to do it don't take it in stride that's what the probation is for . Hang on is all I'll say the process is slow ( it was alot slower for us but completely worth the wait) the longer you wait the more chance you have that someone will get sick of it and drop out, their loss. About 3 of us including me got told no due to covid cutbacks but got in because someone else had moved on . It's slow and nail biting for sure . 5 key points are safety number one obviously , attitude , time keeping , social skills and one more I forget already I'll check notes and edit in a bit xD the amount being kept on is a higher percent than previous years too obviously with covid less numbers mean more chance but now is a fantastic time to get into ESB with the amount of work that is planned for the next couple of years. Best of luck all , you haven't been told no yet which means your probably in the top 100 of 1000s of applicants , just keep the faith what's for you won't pass you :)

That's great to hear best of luck with it, it's good to hear that you were able to secure a position at last with them.

Great to hear. Best of luck with your new role . Quick question how long is probation and do they only register you with solas after probation completed.

• Advertisement

Great to hear. Best of luck with your new role . Quick question how long is probation and do they only register you with solas after probation completed.

6 months probation , forms for solas are sent away already but things are slow with them too

Advertisement