Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Networks - Apprenticeship program

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jakeesb2020

Does anyone think that the dates will get pushed back since it’s looking like we are going to be in lockdown till June?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Biffinator

Honestly I don't think so well it wouldn't be long if so(well I'm hoping ) they've made the offers I'm sure they're more tuned into what's happening,they knew before we did that it could be April at least before things opened again.

those restrictions kind of apply to social life mostly, bars restaurants HAIRCUTS :p etc off the cards but this is education and working for an essential service so those restrictions will be eased please god safely , by July we should have a strong amount of vaccinated by then meaning spikes in cases won't cause such a harsh closure

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭torbie

My Daughter was originally supposed to start end Feb in Dublin but that got changed and the last call said it might be summer. Perfect for her as Im really hoping she can finish the course she is on. Most people probably want to get stuck into the new job.

When you goto Portlaoise - do you think you would be with the same people who will be starting with you?

The ESB are great for encouraging the females but Im really hoping there is another girl with her. Mom worries - I think she would like a girl but Im sure the guys would treat her like one of the lads...

I think you will be with the people who you are starting with as they have the staggered start of two weeks.

And I would say they’re will be a few girls they’re always is an no doubt she would fit in as well as everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 EmmaFitz16

My son got a call last week and is due to start 8th June, he was told first few weeks are in portlaoise and he will be with the other apprentices that are starting with him in his base in Dublin , they will be down there in pods of 5 or 6 apparently. Hopefully dates dont change as people are handing in notice to current jobs etc, I would imagine it will all go ahead now as planned.

Has anyone physically received a contract to sign yet or is it just a phone call confirmation for the moment?

• Advertisement

Yeah I taught the group's would only be 5 or 6 at a time so by right no later than July , 30ish would have started by end of june so however many more than that we have . And yeah wel be in our own groups I'd say to keep a bubble . No doubt your daughter will fit right in torbie anyone I know said it's a great family like atmosphere just fingers crossed another girl gets posted with her would be a bonus . I'm Limerick based no confirmation yet but I'm guessing I'll get a call this week coming hopefully. This start date is the ending of this lockdown crap so very eager to get going

EmmaFitz16 wrote: »
    My son got a call last week and is due to start 8th June, he was told first few weeks are in portlaoise and he will be with the other apprentices that are starting with him in his base in Dublin , they will be down there in pods of 5 or 6 apparently. Hopefully dates dont change as people are handing in notice to current jobs etc, I would imagine it will all go ahead now as planned.

Has anyone physically received a contract to sign yet or is it just a phone call confirmation for the moment?

I'm not getting all my notifications...gurrr...so only seeing this now.
    My daughter got a call June 8th too! They said that unless there is a new strain or something it will go ahead 8th june.
    I'm glad she can finish her course.

She has to do something online and enrole/accept the offer. They gave her a password so she will look at it later.

8th of June here too torbie , so much for the bubble idea haha finally though :)

Biffinator wrote: »
    8th of June here too torbie , so much for the bubble idea haha finally though :)

Maybe itll be bubbles in bubbles 😆.

Sure everyone will be keeping an eye on each other as itll be a big change. Especially since we've all been so locked down for the last year.
    Best of luck to everyone on this new big journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

Hey folks, has anyone heard any word from esb regarding phase 1 test results yet? Thanks

• Advertisement

Hey, do you mean the initial assesments for 2021 applicants? If so the next step is getting a call for an interview or not don't get the results really, either way they will let you know but it does take time especially now

Has anyone heard anymore news regarding contracts.
    Also if anyone is staying down in portlaois does anyone know if the hotel or b and bs do cheaper rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Righty

Biffinator wrote: »
    Hey, do you mean the initial assesments for 2021 applicants? If so the next step is getting a call for an interview or not don't get the results really, either way they will let you know but it does take time especially now

Thanks for the info mate, appreciated

No Jake nothing yet. It all depends on lockdown restrictions I think, like even by June itl be tough to get a spot if they're allowed open. A few years back the hotel did deals for apprentices I read on other articles if that's still thecase I don't know.im in same boat coming from Limerick, can't finish my driving lessons just yet so stuck for a little while

Nothing on the contracts here yet either, as for Portloaise I was hoping on a good rate at a B and B but with covid id be suprised if they are open, lets hope the hotel is still doing apprentice deals !!

I’m in the same boat can’t get a test, I’d say all will go ahead though because we’re already fairly delayed as it is so I’d say they want to get it going just as much as us. I might ring the maldron and see what they say.

I rang the maldron and they said that the rates for ESB are €63 for the night or €73 with breakfast, just to let you’s know :) bit expensive but sure look what can you do.

Great thanks Jake

Cheers Jake, I'd consider it maybe for the last night of training maybe, deserve a treat after all this waiting ;)

Does anyone know of other accommodation in the area that maybe does not cost as much?

• Advertisement

Roscrea and templemore are two towns at close 30 mins distance with bus and train routes get you to portlaoise before 9. Also just realised that hotels night not even be open by June and they're not really looking at It till late may so could be a risky bet either way :S

Just wondering if IrishPaddyMan7 is starting this week? Has anyone else received contracts yet?

we havnt got the contract yet either.
    Im not even thinking of accommodation yet as Im hoping we would get a list of places that do special rates for EBS.
    I wonder what would happen if you just couldnt get anything. ? Im hoping they have a 'stand-by' list or something like that

yeah its hard to know, I did ring a few bed and breakfasts but they are gone out of business, I might try air bnb, our two could share Torbie , imagine !!

EmmaFitz16 wrote: »
    yeah its hard to know, I did ring a few bed and breakfasts but they are gone out of business, I might try air bnb, our two could share Torbie , imagine !!

Ha ha - it's so hard to predict what's going to happen.
    It could be tents at the training centre!😆

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IrishPaddyMan7

Hey folks, yeah I'm starting next week and you will receive a list of places that offer ESB rates for accommodation.

Ah thats great news, bet your excited to get started. So you have received and signed your contract I assume? They must be sending contracts out on a phased basis according to the start date.

Hey folks, yeah I'm starting next week and you will receive a list of places that offer ESB rates for accommodation.

Oh wow. You are our goto man now! Would love to hear about what happens and how it is working out. (It'll help with my mom worries!)
    Best of luck to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IrishPaddyMan7

Yes they will send out the contract followed by numerous other forms to be signed basically to have as much paperwork done before they officially start.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with your start , keep us updated :) interested in the tools supplied apparently we get knipex which are really good ,just got my work pants ordered today :p

Advertisement