Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Networks - Apprenticeship program

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Dildert123

I got a email from esb today saying they're starting the shortlisting.
    Does this mean i passed that aptitude test?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jakeesb2020

Do we have to buy our own work clothes and boots or are they supplied??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Biffinator

Wel get boots and trousers gloves anyway I'd say. Basic Ppe normally provided by employer by law . I just made myself an excuse to buy something nice :p

@Dilbert . Yeah you passed the aptitude but down to shortlist so your still sorta in the same place ,they'l have a look at your CV etc now and go from there. Best of luck I hope you hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭torbie

Biffinator wrote: »
    Wel get boots and trousers gloves anyway I'd say. Basic Ppe normally provided by employer by law . I just made myself an excuse to buy something nice :p

Food is what Im wondering about ! Is there a canteen, where can you get lunch and what will you do for dinner in the evening with place closed and most places taking bookings.
    I'll be sending my daughter off with everything AND the kitchen sink at this stage :D

• Advertisement

@Dilbert . Yeah you passed the aptitude but down to shortlist so your still sorta in the same place ,they'l have a look at your CV etc now and go from there. Best of luck I hope you hear back

That's good to hear thanks for that ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 3 g2021

Got a contract today through email

• Registered Users Posts: 13 IrishPaddyMan7

torbie wrote: »
    Food is what Im wondering about ! Is there a canteen, where can you get lunch and what will you do for dinner in the evening with place closed and most places taking bookings.
    I'll be sending my daughter off with everything AND the kitchen sink at this stage :D

Torbie and anyone else on here, my in-laws have self catering accommodation and have said that if people are looking for accommodation to contact Ann on 057 8644329 but to make it cost friendly you would want at least 4 people sharing. The property is 10 minutes drive from Portlaoise. Just mention that it's for ESB apprentices and you seen this post from Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 24 EmmaFitz16

That sounds good Paddy, my lad would definitely share but he doesn't drive, he is due in portlaoise on 8th June, anyone else interested we can arrange among ourselves

EmmaFitz16 wrote: »
    That sounds good Paddy, my lad would definitely share but he doesn't drive, he is due in portlaoise on 8th June, anyone else interested we can arrange among ourselves

We dont have driving facilities her either. I think she will look into a b&b hopefully nearby. Being (probably) the only girl is a bit daunting anyway.. but everyone will be feeling overwhelmed at first anyway.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill paddy .Just gave them a ring , Ann was lovely :) 30 euro a night, 8 minute walk to town center for bus(she said there's a local link across the road I'll get those deets but that's not bad. IV said I'd giver her a call back but she's holding them for a little bit the two weeks 8th June and torbie it's two rooms, there's a room with just a double bed in it for your daughter if she was okay with that .then a double a single in another and a fouton type thing (bagsies :p) . All failte Ireland approved. Brielle house mountmellick. Anyone interested pm me.

Thanks a mill paddy .Just gave them a ring , Ann was lovely :) 30 euro a night, 8 minute walk to town center for bus(she said there's a local link across the road I'll get those deets but that's not bad. IV said I'd giver her a call back but she's holding them for a little bit the two weeks 8th June and torbie it's two rooms, there's a room with just a double bed in it for your daughter if she was okay with that .then a double a single in another and a fouton type thing (bagsies :p) . All failte Ireland approved. Brielle house mountmellick. Anyone interested pm me.

Ahh Biff you are so good to check all
    that out.
    If you dont mind I'll wait till we see the list and take it from there.
    At this stage I'll want to go down and say Hi to you all!

Absolutely torbie I understand. :) Let me know anyway, I'll get onto the ESB maybe to let them know there's space available. There's some people staying on 7 weeks so maybe that'l help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 kaydog

You sure about that biffy there's nothing in the wording of the email that implies the aptitude test was passed, I think it was different last year when they clearly let you know you were on the shortlist. (Even though like you said it's only a small step) This one seems to be just a reminder "we've recieved you application and this is gonna take awhile".

Oh wait I didn't read the "starting" the shortlisting. Joys of writing two replies at once my bad Dilbert yeah that sounds like a confirmation that they got it sorry

kaydog wrote: »
    You sure about that biffy there's nothing in the wording of the email that implies the aptitude test was passed, I think it was different last year when they clearly let you know you were on the shortlist. (Even though like you said it's only a small step) This one seems to be just a reminder "we've recieved you application and this is gonna take awhile".

I know a lad who got his back and he was told he got rejected so I'd say it's confirmation you've been accepted into the shortlisting

kaydog wrote: »

"I would like to acknowledge that we have received your application and online assessments and we will now begin the shortlisting process. As we have received a lot of interest in this year's programme, the recruitment process may be lengthy."
    That was it.

Well then there you go :) still in limbo but hey hopefully it won't be as long as it was for us xD yeah I would of assumed like the assesments would of been able to draw a fairly instantaneous answer on whether you made the cut for them then to take remaining applications individually

Well then there you go :) still in limbo but hey hopefully it won't be as long as it was for us xD yeah I would of assumed like the assesments would of been able to draw a fairly instantaneous answer on whether you made the cut for them then to take remaining applications individually

Any idea how many make the shortlisting?

No idea Dilbert sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 kaydog

Well if it's true you know someone who recieved a rejection email from this campaign then this would have to be an indication you did well enough in the aptitude test not to be cut yet. I totally flunked the aptitude test in 2019 and got the rejection email on 16th April so similar dates. Seems that everyone on here got the same email so it's unlikely we've all been shortlisted, although it is a small sample of 3-4 ppl so not impossible. I'm applying for other apprenticeships atm have to be realistic on how much competition there is out there, probably the most sought after apprenticeship in the country. And yeah its incredible how long the wait has been for you guys who are starting soon, hopefully worst of pandemic is over now and ye can get stuck in & settled.

@IrishPaddyMan7
    How was your first day??

did you get your contract yet Jake?

Yes I did :)

ah great its moving along, we are still waiting on contract but you start earlier so must be that. Dying to hear now how Paddy got on today !!

@IrishPaddyMan7
    How was your first day??

The first two weeks will be covering paperwork, registration, going through what's expected of you as an apprentice.
    All supervisors and very friendly and very eager to help and answer all questions, even after only 2 days we have learned loads and have been given plenty of info as to what we will be doing over the next few weeks.

That’s great hear have you got your gear to start climbing or started any practical work?

The first two weeks will be covering paperwork, registration, going through what's expected of you as an apprentice.
    All supervisors and very friendly and very eager to help and answer all questions, even after only 2 days we have learned loads and have been given plenty of info as to what we will be doing over the next few weeks.

Oh thats great to hear. Id love to hear updates if you get the time. How many per class? And is there a canteen there for food? I know there is a place up the road with loads of places to eat but not sure if you would have time to walk up.

No practical work planned until after the initial 2 weeks.
    12 or less students Torbie and I believe 5 females will be joining this time around, masks are provided but have 1 each morning entering the building from the car park.
    All clothing and tools were given to us on day 1. Tea and coffee facilities including scones etc and a roll/sandwich each day for lunch if you want one.

• Advertisement

No practical work planned until after the initial 2 weeks.
    12 or less students Torbie and I believe 5 females will be joining this time around, masks are provided but have 1 each morning entering the building from the car park.
    All clothing and tools were given to us on day 1. Tea and coffee facilities including scones etc and a roll/sandwich each day for lunch if you want one.

Ahh thanks again IrishPaddyMan! That's really good to know - now I want a list of the flavours of sandwiches HAHA :D

We've been reading over the contact..theres alot in it. I'd say you need a good rest this weekend.
    Would love to hear any updates if you feel its things we need to know.
    Take care.

Advertisement