Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I haven't had my hair cut since the start of October! I've long curly hair, which is layered and its just so out of shape now and heavy! I have tried to trim it a little bit, but I am trying not to touch it too much for fear of making a mess! I'm lucky I don't colour my hair & very lucky I am not going grey, yet! lol
    My 4 year old little boy needs a hair cut so badly but he won't let us touch it! I was due to bring him to get his hair cut the week before Christmas but I was so busy with work we didn't get a chance! God knows when they will allow hairdressers and beauticians to re-open!?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I have very short hair and got it cut in December and got a fade

It lasted till last week when it got completely curly and straggly

Went to Boots and got some hair scissors and scalped the fade

It looks OK.

The rest of it is now about two inches long, will be down past my ears in another two months

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

I look like Frank Gallagher from Shameless these days.

I’m a woman.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I look like Frank Gallagher from Shameless these days.

I’m a woman.

I feel you on this. I had to go into work the other day and my hair was freshly washed but not styled at all, just blasted with the hairdryer - ie frizzy. One of the lads said my hair looked lovely and poofy . I wasn't nor am I ever aiming for poofy but thanks hun :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭danois

For anyone who decides to brave it and shape their own brows the best tip I had had was to get a white and a black or brown eyeliner. Before you pluck anything colour in the shape you want with the dark pencil and colour what you want to pluck with the white. You will look slightly mad but you’ll get a preview of the shape you want. Keep washing off and redoing until you get the shape you want. Then simply pluck just the hairs with the white eyeliner on them. It’s still not salon quality shape but it’s deffo closest I’ve managed alone 😂

• Advertisement

That might just be genius

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Met my mum outside today and she said "Gosh, your hair looks great". I thought she'd lost her mind, tbh, but it seems that my roots are now so long, it has almost come full circle and started to look like intentional balayage :eek:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Faith wrote: »
    Met my mum outside today and she said "Gosh, your hair looks great". I thought she'd lost her mind, tbh, but it seems that my roots are now so long, it has almost come full circle and started to look like intentional balayage :eek:

I had a video call with my mam last week, and she complimented my hair! First compliment on my hair I've gotten in years :rolleyes:
    I got the Revlon hot air brush as a Christmas present, and I had just washed and dried it. The cut I got on Christmas Eve was a really good cut, but once a day has passed, there is no saving it. Also the angle of the phone meant she couldn't see all the grey :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Faith wrote: »

I’m almost willing mine to grow down that bit further at this stage so they look a bit more intentional. Right now they’re still at that awkward just plain old neglected roots stage. But interestingly I’ve also had more compliments on my hair lately than ever before. Maybe it’s because I’m so focused on how bad it looks that I’m jazzing it up that bit more with plaits and things

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’m almost willing mine to grow down that bit further at this stage so they look a bit more intentional. Right now they’re still at that awkward just plain old neglected roots stage. But interestingly I’ve also had more compliments on my hair lately than ever before. Maybe it’s because I’m so focused on how bad it looks that I’m jazzing it up that bit more with plaits and things

I’m at 17 weeks now since getting mine done. I don’t know if I’m happy or sad that I couldn’t get it done before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Ugh getting to the point where I'm soooo tempted to just lob my hair back in a ponytail and chop the lot off! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,009 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Mad that this thread is a year and a day old. Must admit I'm much more chilled about the whole thing this time round. Broke out the box dye and tweezers but nowhere near as wound up about the whole thing as I was this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭PetitPois89

Caranica wrote: »
    Mad that this thread is a year and a day old. Must admit I'm much more chilled about the whole thing this time round. Broke out the box dye and tweezers but nowhere near as wound up about the whole thing as I was this time last year.

100% the same, last year I was living for the hairdressers to reopen. This year I really don’t care as much. My greys are growing on me - quite literally

I flip flop between not caring and then wanting to ambush a hairdresser and beautician. Depends on the day I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Twee. wrote: »
    I flip flop between not caring and then wanting to ambush a hairdresser and beautician. Depends on the day I suppose!

I don’t think I have ever identified with a post more

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I’d sell my granny for a head of fresh highlights

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I think between all the jigs and the reels, and lack of hairdressing over the past year, what remains of my balayage will be cut off on my first visit back. So I think I will be starting from a blank slate to get whatever colour I want. I had tried getting a pink over the ends the last couple of times I was in, which I really loved (I am quite dark), but it washed out really quickly. I might even just stay dark now for a bit, with just the grey roots covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Any shampoo recs?

I seem to be having allergic reactions to shampoo. Any of the supermarket available ones. My eyes swell, skin all red and itchy on my face and around my hair line too.
    I ordered some redkin and it was great. But its pricey for what is a small enough bottle, felt i got no time out of it. Haven't identified what it is im reacting too.
    I had a bad reaction to pureology last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Rfrip

jrosen wrote: »
    Any shampoo recs?

I seem to be having allergic reactions to shampoo. Any of the supermarket available ones. My eyes swell, skin all red and itchy on my face and around my hair line too.
    I ordered some redkin and it was great. But its pricey for what is a small enough bottle, felt i got no time out of it. Haven't identified what it is im reacting too.

I always manage to get redken on look fantastic at discount so works out ok! I only use a very small amount too....

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭OscarMIlde

jrosen wrote: »
    Any shampoo recs?

It's very pricey, but Philip Kingsley is fantastic. I buy the 1000ml bottles so I get over a year out of it before I need to restock, so while the initial investment is a pain, it's not as dear as initially appears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

I am looking forward to things opening up again and I basically want to reenact that scene from Miss Congeniality where she emerges from the hangar primped, preened, waxed, straightened, the whole shebang :pac:
    Dying to get back for a laser hair top up but also can't wait for a cut and colour, brow wax and tint, and a shellac! V much considering botox too.

I've always been a drugstore shampoo girl but a friend gave me her Joico Kpak shampoo and conditioner and I can't get over the difference! I have a fair bit of breakage etc but it's making my hair so well conditioned and glossy. I am finding it harder to get a full 4 days out of a shampoo but then it dries and straightens so well that I don't really have to touch it on non-washing days. A little bit goes a long way as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Has anyone used the 14 Day Manicure starter kit? Is it any good? It’s €50ish atm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Neera

Yes, I bought this a few years back and use it religiously! Great value! I've used the site a few times since to re purchase polishes etc - really quick delivery too!

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Neera wrote: »
    Yes, I bought this a few years back and use it religiously! Great value! I've used the site a few times since to re purchase polishes etc - really quick delivery too!

Thank you! :)
    I bought it earlier today for €56 including delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,379 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

My first grey has appeared.
    Well I say first.There could have been other that I didn't notice because I was able to get my colour done before.
    Thanks lockdown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Ordered from look fantastic, thanks for the product recommendation. Now all I need is the willpower to search the item im looking for order it and leave.

TK Lemon wrote: »
    Has anyone used the 14 Day Manicure starter kit? Is it any good? It’s €50ish atm. :)

I started with one of these a few years ago and yes, its good, but I prefer the Halo polishes and a UV lamp.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rocky1813

I started with one of these a few years ago and yes, its good, but I prefer the Halo polishes and a UV lamp.

I’ve used this and it is very good but does anyone have any tips for removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,009 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

rocky1813 wrote: »

Aldi did a kit and the remover in it worked so much better than acetone I'd used before.

• Advertisement

rocky1813 wrote: »

You have to buff your nails gently to "break the seal" on the top coat before using acetone to remove the colour polish off.

Advertisement