Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turning very warm or hot with thunderstorm potential Sun eve 23rd---->

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

jimmynokia wrote: »

Quite ominous skies in Kildare now

74198094-0-FFE-43-BA-8-D77-79-BCAF87366-B.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Lighting struck a tree before once beside the tee off when I was playing golf i was about to tee off well I dropped the club and ran...

Reminds me of this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

pad199207 wrote:
    Quite ominous skies in Kildare now

Bring it on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭compsys

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Where are these many areas?

Coastal areas affected by sea fog and/or sea breeze. Areas stuck under prolonged cloud cover or showers.

The Dublin and Cork regions, which account for almost half the county’s population, don’t look very hot on any of the temp charts or forecasts I’ve seen. They’ll reach 22 maybe. Pleasant but hardly anything to start issuing warnings or getting hyped up about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Rain has arrived in West Clare.

• Advertisement

compsys wrote: »
    Coastal areas affected by sea fog and/or sea breeze. Areas stuck under prolonged cloud cover or showers.

The Dublin and Cork regions, which account for almost half the county’s population, don’t look very hot on any of the temp charts or forecasts I’ve seen. They’ll reach 22 maybe. Pleasant but hardly anything to start issuing warnings or getting hyped up about.

Sea fog, while it will be there, probably won't be very prominent due to an easterly flow (as opposed to a mere sea breeze).

Dublin and Cork aren't 'many areas', and even a few kilometers inland from a sea breeze it can begin to warm up quickly. Geographically speaking, most of the country will be getting will into the mid 20's.

Nobody's issuing a heat warning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭celt262

Are we going to get washed out of it tomorrow in Clones for Ulster Final. Game starts st 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

celt262 wrote: »
    Are we going to get washed out of it tomorrow in Clones for Ulster Final. Game starts st 2.

You may find it dry on arrival but probably at some point before the end of the game you will have some heavy showers or continuous rain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I still think next weeks temperatures may be uneventful in eastern parts of Leinster, up to maybe 20 to 50 km inland, but we'll see, also nobody really knows who much rain/cloud we will get and how little/much sun there will be. Those factors will play a huge role in temperatures.

I am more interested in the thunderstorm potential because it's so rare, almost a once in a lifetime event for something proper. Will we see a proper 1985 event next week? who knows, but I think once again the sweet spot of high temperatures and humidity combined with instability will play a huge role in that, so I'm thinking greatest risk of this will be the south-western half of the country.

It's still a bit too far away to guess where storms will happen and what the highest temperatures will be, there is alot on the table to play for, some of us will be very dissapointed with a non-event while others could do great with high temperatures and decent thunderstorm activity, certainly an interesting week of weather watching to come, but it could all be very localised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Significant levels of 'CAPE' moving up from the continent for later next week on the latest ECMWF:

wODM26v.png

Demented looking clouds here earlier this evening, but in keeping with the tradition of the Irish weather, all bark and feck all bite.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

With stories of cows getting killed or stunned in the milking parlour or under a tree I have insurance to cover me if I lose cows to lightning.

The GFS jumping onboard on the 18z run.

Heat spell is fairly set now in my opinion, the question is how hot, and what thunder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Heavy rain in Galway now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Gonzo wrote:
    I am more interested in the thunderstorm potential because it's so rare, almost a once in a lifetime event for something proper. Will we see a proper 1985 event next week? who knows, but I think once again the sweet spot of high temperatures and humidity combined with instability will play a huge role in that, so I'm thinking greatest risk of this will be the south-western half of the country.

Just remember from last year we all thought we'd would get good storm but it hugged the whole east coast neber came inland let's hope for something special this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

While the synoptics for this coming week are definitely interesting, looking at the actual ground level forecasts they're nothing special from what I can see, temperatures low to mid 20's at best with plenty of cloud and rain. Certainly an improvement on anything we've seen so far but hardly spectacular.

Hopefully a few decent thunderstorms around though from my 13 or so years following this forum I know 99% of the time thunderstorm forecasts turn out to be a damp squid :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

While the synoptics for this coming week are definitely interesting, looking at the actual ground level forecasts they're nothing special from what I can see, temperatures low to mid 20's at best with plenty of cloud and rain. Certainly an improvement on anything we've seen so far but hardly spectacular.

Hopefully a few decent thunderstorms around though from my 13 or so years following this forum I know 99% of the time thunderstorm forecasts turn out to be a damp squid :p

hopefully this time it will work out but I have my doubts. I've been close to 15 years here, and theres been plenty of interesting charts over the years with exciting prospects of thunder and lightning, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen proper lightning here in Meath since the 1990s, maybe I've just had very bad luck but proper thunder and lightning storms are a true thing of rarity here. Sure i've seen the odd flash of lightning and maybe one or two forks in the past 20 years, but those are not exactly storms that the rest of Europe experiences.... hopefully this week is our time to finally get some proper forks and fireworks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Significant levels of 'CAPE' moving up from the continent for later next week on the latest ECMWF:

Yes. I think some lucky places next week will see thunderstorms that are normally only seen on the near continent. The last great visit we had from Biscay was May 2001. Did you get any of that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,354 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The UK Met is progging some mental numbers for Southern England Weds / Thurs, 35C and high rH. With the long southerly fetch on the air mass we are at this stage bound to see a significant bounce from it. The cold Irish sea could turn Leinster into a mist fest but any kind of battleground potential will set up spectacular storm conditions, especially midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

The only downside to this is the high humidity- i will have difficulty sleeping at night next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

The only downside to this is the high humidity- i will have difficulty sleeping at night next week!

Hot water bottle filled with ice and cold water can't beat it ha ha ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,897 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

While we are naturally focused on events here potentially quite a serious situation for France in the latter part of the week.

icon-9-135.png?23-00

While we are naturally focused on events here potentially quite a serious situation for France in the latter part of the week.

icon-9-135.png?23-00

Serious heat wave from them, definitely red warnings to be issued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gonzo wrote: »
    hopefully this time it will work out but I have my doubts. I've been close to 15 years here, and theres been plenty of interesting charts over the years with exciting prospects of thunder and lightning, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've seen proper lightning here in Meath since the 1990s, maybe I've just had very bad luck but proper thunder and lightning storms are a true thing of rarity here. Sure i've seen the odd flash of lightning and maybe one or two forks in the past 20 years, but those are not exactly storms that the rest of Europe experiences.... hopefully this week is our time to finally get some proper forks and fireworks.

We had a three day storm in the late 2000s; I had a thunder phobic collie and she nearly literally died of terror. Had to syringe feed her

often see lightning out here; not my favourite sight. We have no tall buildings and no trees and it makes for vulnerability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

ZX7R wrote: »
    Serious heat wave from them, definitely red warnings to be issued.

Heading to Paris Thursday, I wonder would the likes of Disneyland close if there’s a red warning issued, must look into that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

They only issue a status Orange warning for heat if minimum temperature is 20°C or above for one night. Red is issued if this persists for a second and subsequent nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'm in the Algarve, next week just seems to be constant mid 20's , probably a bit far west to be effected

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Manitoban wrote: »
    Heading to Paris Thursday, I wonder would the likes of Disneyland close if there’s a red warning issued, must look into that!

I wouldn't know.to be sure.
    Definitely worth keeping an eye on the local weather reports.
    Hope you and your family love heat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

The lack of activity on this board I think is indicative of the fact folk know that all this talk of violent thunderstorms and high temperatures is unlikely to materialise. Chatting to some folk on UK weather forum and they reckon Ireland won't see any action and certainly no high temperatures. Maybe 21 or 22 in the west. Disappointed I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What happened to the supposed deluge we were promised in the South Dublin area tonight? Yesterday the charts were showing a spike of rain up to 6mm / hour between 11PM and 2AM, now it's just looking like a bog standard "it's gonna rain" night instead. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

What happened to the supposed deluge we were promised in the South Dublin area tonight? Yesterday the charts were showing a spike of rain up to 6mm / hour between 11PM and 2AM, now it's just looking like a bog standard "it's gonna rain" night instead. :mad:

Fizzled out. The same way this weeks exciting weather will also. Charts are a mess and backing away from high temperatures.

Charts are a mess and backing away from high temperatures.

You've made this claim several times now, can you back it up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM 0Z showing up to mid 20's Weds , up to high 20s Thurs and Fri , even higher than previous run for Fri , possibly up around mid 20's for Sat.

The way the charts have been trending it is of interest to me if we might hit 30C Thurs or Fri.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

ECM 0Z showing up to mid 20's Weds , up to high 20s Thurs and Fri , even higher than previous run for Fri , possibly up around mid 20's for Sat.

The way the charts have been trending it is of interest to me if we might hit 30C Thurs or Fri.

But but but the “lads on the uk weather forum “ say no !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Wednesday

GIlKOVm.png

ENoMdBO.png

Thursday

7dfufZb.png

EfANHW8.png

Friday

F9Xq4q3.png

zSaBFGm.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Is this more fake news from ME? Another pointless warning ?

• Advertisement

What's the warning for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

From YOU ?
    Or did you mean Met Eireann?
    I ask because Met Eireann have a rainfall warning for today. But no temperature warning

They are all out already
    Must be the heat ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lexi-lexi

I've a bunch of kids meant to be having a garden birthday party and a camp out next Saturday night just outside Gorey co Wexford- am I mad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

lexi-lexi wrote: »
    I've a bunch of kids meant to be having a garden birthday party and a camp out next Saturday night just outside Gorey co Wexford- am I mad?

Weather is supposed to be ok next weekend going by ukmo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

lexi-lexi wrote: »

Think you will have to wait and see, could be a glorious balmy evening for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Surprised the West has no warning for rain it's been non stop since 11pm last night and still raining, looking at the radar the heaviest rain is in the South and the West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Surprised the West has no warning for rain it's been non stop since 11pm last night and still raining, looking at the radar the heaviest rain is in the South and the West
    Very little in South Laois. 1mm so far. Radar makes it look worse than it is.
    Hard to see the 25mm to 40mm predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Absolutely lashing here in Cork City, non stop since about 7/8am. Big drops too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Absolutely lashing here in Cork City, non stop since about 7/8am. Big drops too.

It arrived up here in west mayo.. wish I hadn;t looked at the met ie rainfall map!

https://www.met.ie/

raining now in Meath, was dry up to a few minutes ago.

just watched the farming forecast on RTE and Met Eireann now saying 27 and 28C possible across the mid west on Thursday and Friday. There could also be decent sunny spells from Wednesday with less in the way of rain or showers, but showers getting going again by Friday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Gonzo wrote: »
    just watched the farming forecast on RTE and Met Eireann now saying 27 and 28C possible across the mid west on Thursday and Friday. There could also be decent sunny spells from Wednesday with less in the way of rain or showers, but showers getting going again by Friday.

Met. Ie are not able to forecast 5 days in advance constantly getting it wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Not expecting much today here, maybe a heavier burst of rain in the evening. I'd say some places in Ireland should get a level 1 estofex warning for thunderstorms over the next few days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Light to Moderate rain in Waterford City since early this morning. Never has it go anyway Heavy but total so far 14.2mm

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Light to Moderate rain in Waterford City since early this morning. Never has it go anyway Heavy but total so far 14.2mm

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

Nothing in Arklow yet
    Bone dry,a nice day in fact
    Seems East Wicklow is one of the sweet spots for having a decent Sunday so far
    Look at how narrow the escape is on the radar though

• Advertisement
Advertisement