Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

ED E wrote: »
    If this is the case then AliExpress is being regulated out of the country. Pretty ****. I'll pay the tax but the clearance is a rip off. They arent processing two packages per operator per hour (€20 hourly would be plenty for a box ticking job), they're probably doing an order of magnitude more. Creaming it.

EU intend 'third country' platforms like Ali, non-EU Amazon, Wish etc. to collect and pay VAT due directly to the respective Revenue of the countries they sell into for (non-excise) goods under €150 from 2021 on.

Forcing them to be tax agents/commissionaires closes the 'negligible exemption' loophole for us and reduces customer tax admin charges < €150 value (ie. An Post & courier revenues). Getting to there will be the likely leveraged July chaos of being " ... payable on all goods entering the EU, irrespective of their value [and] ... of the amount due".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

I bought a selfie stick from Aliexpress last week, it cost €2.50 but 21% VAT ontop of that would bring the price to €3.02 a 52c increase, not huge on the sort of tat people often order from aliexpress anyway, it would fine to pay this and let it come as VAT paid but the €10 an post collection fee is beyond a joke really.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

theguzman wrote: »
    I bought a selfie stick from Aliexpress last week, it cost €2.50 but 21% VAT ontop of that would bring the price to €3.02 a 52c increase, not huge on the sort of tat people often order from aliexpress anyway, it would fine to pay this and let it come as VAT paid but the €10 an post collection fee is beyond a joke really.

The €10 fee charged by An Post is a Customs Clearance fee.

If this came in via any other Courier, they'd be charging a mnimum of €20 plus any customs duty/VAT.. Aaand if you have more than 5 items in a package, DHL would charge yoylu and additional 5€ clearance fee per item on top...

After July 2021, the couriers will have a field day, aided and abetted by your tax Euros at work in that the Customs service does nothing to protect consumers from such Courier gouging!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

theguzman wrote: »
    It likely won't matter as they will all probably set up EU warehouses and rerouting centres.

A load of them already have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

Suckit wrote: »
    It likely won't matter as they will all probably set up EU warehouses and rerouting centres.

A load of them already have done.

Driven by higher value tech (eg. phones, drones TV boxes) with impatient wait time down to around a week, eliminating customs admin charge and marginally less VAT than China delivery - if caught. But EU warehouse entail EU postage/courier charges that will make low value items inviable.

• Advertisement

styron wrote: »
    Driven by higher value tech (eg. phones, drones TV boxes) with impatient wait time down to around a week, eliminating customs admin charge and marginally less VAT than China delivery - if caught. But EU warehouse entail EU postage/courier charges that will make low value items inviable.
    A lot of the stuff from EU warehouses is already shipped free. Only when the items get bulkier/heavier do they have charges, and even then is is still relatively cheap. Faster shipping is also an option for not much more.
    When buying more expensive items, then there is no real difference than how it is now.
    I have found a lot of the Chinese stores are already on equal pricing with the likes of amazon anyway for a while now. The difference with amazon for example is to get the free shipping from UK you need to spend over £25.
    Some may have the option to pay the vat at checkout, eliminating any handling charges. Which also is available in some places already.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

TomOnBoard wrote: »

If this came in via any other Courier, they'd be charging a mnimum of €20 plus any customs duty/VAT.. Aaand if you have more than 5 items in a package, DHL would charge yoylu and additional 5€ clearance fee per item on top...

After July 2021, the couriers will have a field day, aided and abetted by your tax Euros at work in that the Customs service does nothing to protect consumers from such Courier gouging!

If the items come in precleared there is no need for a customs clearance fee. If amazon can manage it with their global shipping program then the likes of Aliexpress can do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Aaand if you have more than 5 items in a package, DHL would charge yoylu and additional 5€ clearance fee per item on top...

[...]

Jaysus! :eek:

I am struggling to even think how much would be a clearance fee for a bag of rice! :D

;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The other couriers charge €12.50-18.00. And if you have multiple products, they all have to be split, freight distributed, tariff codes located etc. This is an EU requirement as well as National, as the correct tariffs need to be applied, and make sure that the products are allowed entry into the EU. I used to customs clear car parts and we had hundreds of headings for the clearances.
    You should see the charge for an import business for clearance, it starts at about 4 times the price of the couriers, for a one heading entry. Just because an Post take the lazy way out with one headers, doesn’t mean its correct. People seem to think that this service should be free for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am pretty sure there used to be a maximum couriers could charge, think it was €15 at one stage.

An post is €10 minimum, and 1% otherwise and have no maximum stated so I wonder if there is one anymore, or if its based on a %

https://www.anpost.com/customs
    A fee of 1% of the value of the packet or parcel, with a minimum charge of €10, is charged by An Post for customs clearance of parcels imported from countries outside the EU. This fee is in addition to any duty or VAT payable.

Though someone was joking about rice I wonder if there is something to stop this, i.e. stop them trying to charge €5 a pop for a parcel with 1000 screws in it which cost €4 in total. If it is per listed item or something then whats to stop them putting several parts into one box and calling it a single kit or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

styron wrote: »
    EU intend 'third country' platforms like Ali, non-EU Amazon, Wish etc. to collect and pay VAT due directly to the respective Revenue of the countries they sell into for (non-excise) goods under €150 from 2021 on.

We've seen how thats gone with Ebays GSP..... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vwcorrado

Hi everyone
    I just got a letter from customs to say my package is being held in Dublin and I have to send a copy of the receipt so they can work out the charge I have to pay...the item is clothing as I paid €85 including delivery...
    Can anyone tell me roughly how much will I have to pay? I seen somewhere it was 8% plus €10 post office charge?
    Thanks so much

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

vwcorrado wrote: »
    Hi everyone
    I just got a letter from customs to say my package is being held in Dublin and I have to send a copy of the receipt so they can work out the charge I have to pay...the item is clothing as I paid €85 including delivery...
    Can anyone tell me roughly how much will I have to pay? I seen somewhere it was 8% plus €10 post office charge?
    Thanks so much

It will be 21% vat plus a €10 An Post charge leaving you with a €27.85 charge.

The 8% is the duty rate, which only applies for goods valued over €150.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 vwcorrado

It will be 21% vat plus a €10 An Post charge leaving you with a €27.85 charge.

The 8% is the duty rate, which only applies for goods valued over €150.

Thanks for the reply...the letter states that I have to send them a copy of the receipt but as it was on ebay...could I send them the screenshot of the item on ebay?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Thanks for the reply...the letter states that I have to send them a copy of the receipt but as it was on ebay...could I send them the screenshot of the item on ebay?
    Thanks

I've emailed screenshots before without any problems

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks

Send the paypal invoice email as a pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

My daughter just took delivery of a vinyl lp I ordered from America.
    The dhl driver took 32 euro from her for "import duty" and didn't give her a receipt.
    The album cost $29.99 plus $18 delivery.
    This cant be right can it?
    I will be contacting dhl myself but I want to check what you guys think too?
    My daughter is a bit upset as she thinks the driver might have conned her.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They have a flat fee they charge for processing of something like €10 and then the duty on top, the duty would be calculated on invoice price plus shipping and the VAT on top of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Contact DHL for a receipt/invoice. They usually charge a processing fee to handle paying the duty, which is probably more than the duty itself on something like a record.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Thanks, so the fee amount was legit?
    Ouch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Please read the first post in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Hi,
    Got a letter saying the parcel I ordered is being held at the post office until I send my receipt of the order.
    The parcel came from China and after being in touch with the seller I have found out he declared the parcel to be worth less money than I paid for it.
    The letter says

"As importer of the goods you have legal responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of information provided on the declaration by the seller and ensuring that correct payments are made. Where an incorrect payment is made the goods may be liable to seizure"

Does this mean it's my fault he put a lower price on the parcel than I paid? If I send my legitimate receipt in can they still sieze my parcel. I have no issue with paying the extra taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,178 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Hi,
    Got a letter saying the parcel I ordered is being held at the post office until I send my receipt of the order.
    The parcel came from China and after being in touch with the seller I have found out he declared the parcel to be worth less money than I paid for it.
    The letter says

"As importer of the goods you have legal responsibility for ensuring the accuracy of information provided on the declaration by the seller and ensuring that correct payments are made. Where an incorrect payment is made the goods may be liable to seizure"

Does this mean it's my fault he put a lower price on the parcel than I paid? If I send my legitimate receipt in can they still sieze my parcel. I have no issue with paying the extra taxes.

if you send in a receipt for the legitimate value of the goods they will just charge you the appropriate taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

if you send in a receipt for the legitimate value of the goods they will just charge you the appropriate taxes.

Oh great, thank you. Just thought it sounded like I might be penalised for having an order confirmation different to what was on the parcel. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Hi. Hoping someone can offer a bit of advice for this situation.

Basically, a family member was in the US last year and bought something valued at $1299 then brought it home. It broke through no fault of their own and a replacement was approved, but the company in the US was not willing to send a replacement to Ireland, so what I did was I had it sent to my Shipito address for them and the replacement was sent from here back to the US.

So the problem we have now is getting it to Ireland. Whenever I have had something sent from my Shipito account to Ireland they require you to fill in a customs declaration. Obviously we want to enter exactly what it is and the true value for insurance reasons with DHL. When the package arrives in Dublin they'll see it's valued at $1300 and want import duty for that value.

We do have a digital receipt issued by the company after the replacement under warranty was approved and its basically identical to the original receipt, but the value/total price is listed as 0$ on this one as it's a free replacement. Will revenue accept that and release it without duty having to be paid? I assume at some point they would have dealt with a similar situation to this but I don't know what the rules are when it comes to free replacements under warranty.

Did they declare it and pay duty and VAT when they brought it to Ireland initially?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,179 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

whiterebel wrote: »
    Did they declare it and pay duty and VAT when they brought it to Ireland initially?

Yes, but she doesn't have the receipt from back then.

I think that goods being sent outside EU for repair, require a form that needs to be filled out before they are sent back to avoid paying vat when they are returned.
    I am not sure about replacement items, but I am guessing it is the same.
    I also don't know if she may have paid vat on the item when it was brought in initially, or if that was required.

I think some information here (page 20) - https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents/3859598/5936933/KS-GQ-14-003-EN.PDF/139bab30-5528-407b-bd0d-11ebcc243942

Or here (UK but inside EU). Not sure if this is the same.
    https://www.reading.ac.uk/post/departmental-mail/external-mail/post-vat-info.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

VG31 wrote: »
    Duty yes, but you have to pay VAT on items over €22.

I purchased something From Ali Express €24, Am i liable for vat ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

torrevieja wrote: »
    I purchased something From Ali Express €24, Am i liable for vat ?
    Revenue will not collect import VAT if the amount due is €6 or less so the actual VAT-exemption limit at the moment is €28.57 (@ 21%). Note this applies to the cost of the goods PLUS postage.

Even if your package is slightly above this value, the likelihood is that it won't be stopped unless it catches someone's eye for some reason. (Ridiculously low declared value etc.)

Advertisement