Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Uncapped Back Row “Stocktake” - 2020 & Beyond

Options

Comments

salmocab wrote: »
    We should start a campaign to get venjur capped

I reckon I'm at least as fit as Andy Goode was at the end of his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I reckon I'm at least as fit as Andy Goode was at the end of his career.

Ah right maybe we should try someone else then, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

I cant recall Irish rugby having such an amount of promising loose forwards breaking through at the same time.

PLAYER|AGE|2020 Caps|2021 Lions|2023 WC*|+25 Caps|+50 Caps
    Will Connors|23|1|0|4|Yes|Yes
    Max Deegan|23|2|0|0|Yes|No
    Caelan Doris|21|8|1|5|Yes|Yes
    Scott Penny|20|0|0|0|Yes|No
    Paul Boyle|23|0|0|0|No|No
    Gavin Coombes|22|0|0|0|No|No
    John Hodnett|21|0|0|0|No|No
    Fineen Wycherley|22|0|0|3|Yes|No
    Azur Allison|20|0|0|0|No|No
    David McCann|19|0|0|0|Yes|No
    Marcus Rea|22|0|0|0|No|No

* WC 2023 Squad
    Will Connors
    Jack Conan
    Caelan Doris
    JvdF
    Fineen Wycherly

2019 WC Squad: Conan 27/17 caps, CJ 29/38, JvdF 26/23, PO'M 30/64, Ruddock 29/26,
    Think I jumped the gun on Wycherley.
    POM and CJ both have plenty of life in the yet. CJ might even make next WC.

Wycherley probably only going to get meaningful game time if they get injured.

U20 6N Squad|Province|Position|2020 Caps|MOM|Tries|Senior Cap
    Alex Soroka|Leinster|6,8,4?|tbc|0|0|?
    Anthony Ryan|Leinster|7,6,8|tbc|0|0|Yes
    Mark Hernan|Leinster|7|tbc|0|0|?
    Sean O’Brien|Leinster|6,8?|tbc|0|0|?
    Cian Hurley|Munster|6,8?|tbc|0|0|?
    Joshua Dunne|Connacht|8,6,7?|tbc|0|0|?
    David McCann (c)|Ulster|8,6,7?|tbc|0|0|Yes

Not sure about the positions of each player. Any suggestions?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Granny15 wrote: »
    I’ll re-post my original objections and ask the poster to defend his points against my arguments again:

“I can only assume this is a wind up and not a very good one at that. To say Connors will not only get capped but +50 caps is a pipedream. The lad has made 48 tackles against 2 very poor Pro14 opponents and you are saying he will be the IRish 7 for the next world cup?

Bias aside what has you so confident he will surpass VDF and Leavy. Which brings me to the fact you don't even have Leavy listed - are you just forgetful or mad? Leavy has won Grand Slams in Twickenham ,scored tries against Sarries in European Quarter Finals and won European Cups but you don't list him?

That's not even mentioning the players who are rated as better by Farrell such as Jack O'Donoghue who was selected in this 6 Nations squad as a fully senior player. And you're saying Connors (with all of his 48 tackles - he does nothing else around the pitch and has a very limited game) is better than Scott Penny who had 10 tries for Leinster A in his first season across 8 games and has something like 4 tries this season for the Leinster firsts totally underrated and attempted to be undermined by people like you looking for a wind up.

To my mind Penny is the better all round 7 than Connors and is a better link man with good hands. He suits the Leinster style of 7 better than a Charlatan who looks to get his tackle stats up for the keyboard warriors on Boards and Leinsterfans to tout.

Very poor attmept to tout a overrated and underwhleming player Connors. Pathetic.”

Jesus Christ, man, get professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭VayNiice

Granny15 wrote: »
    The fact he hasn’t responded or defended his position to me shows that he was stirring things up and was happy to sit back and watch his blatant wind ups unleashed on this forum.

How do you know I didn’t grow up with Penny or that he’s not my neighbour or cousin? Of course people will have horses in the race and to say we are one team and there is no internal competition kumbayah is naive and in fact I think it’s a further attempt to wind some supporters up.

When a players dreams and contracts and his professional career and his chance to have the honour of representing his country and to do it honourably is on the line you’re damn right people will get defensive/aggressive.

If you’re from a similar background or place as someone you’re damn right you’re going to back their corner and fight for it till the bitter end. That’s all I’m doing. I’m sorry if it doesn’t mean as much to you but it does to me.

It means a lot to people to represent your country and I want the right and deserving player to get that.

Oh my god who cares?? Nobody has a "dog in the race". Do you think it makes any difference to someone's career what some nobody says on an Internet forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

VayNiice wrote: »
    Oh my god who cares?? Nobody has a "dog in the race". Do you think it makes any difference to someone's career what some nobody says on an Internet forum?
    I know for a FACT that whatever way I vote in an election, that's who wins. I'm that important.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭VayNiice

If posting on an internet forum made a difference to someones career, wouldn't Tiernan O'Halloran, Stu McCloskey and Denis Buckley be approaching 50 caps at this stage?

Also just because you know player X doesn't mean you have to argue for five pages to shut people up about player Y. I'm sure loads of posters know lads in or around the squads. I could tell you some of the good and the bad about some lads in the provinces who grew up near me. But I don't give a monkeys cos it's nobodies business and nobody cares.

u-20s v Scot
    6. Sean O’Brien (Blackrock College / UCD RFC / Leinster)
    7. Mark Hernan (St Michael’s College / Lansdowne FC / Leinster)
    8. David McCann (RBAI / Banbridge RFC / Ulster)(captain)

Replacements:
    20. Alexis Soroka (Belvedere College / Dublin University FC / Leinster)

Senior Debut v Scotland
    8. Caelan Doris (UCD/Leinster) - Former Ireland U20 Captain

Not overly familiar with these players. McNabney the standout player?

2023 U20 WC Backrows:

Dan Barron (Dublin University/Leinster)*

Brian Gleeson (Garryowen/Munster)

Diarmuid Mangan (UCD/Leinster)

James McNabney (Ballymena/Ulster)

Ruadhan Quinn (Old Crescent/Munster)

Are these guys solely seen as Locks?

Charlie Irvine (Queen’s University/Ulster)

Joe Hopes (Queen’s University/Ulster)

Evan O’Connell (UL Bohemians/Munster)

Ryan Baird was the only backrow from the last tournament (2019) to earn a senior cap.

Caelan Doris from 2018

Gavin Coombes & Caelan Doris 2017

Max Deegan 2016

I would say Gleeson is the standout of the group this year, but they all have high ceilings IMO. Gleeson was elite during the U20 6N though.

Ruadhan Quinn has already made his Munster debut, and has a really good pacey, abrasive style.

Mangan utilised more as a lock at 20s so far, but to me projects as a blindside in senior rugby.

Agree the three referenced (O'Connell, Irvine, Hopes) are purely seen as locks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Yep, agreed with all of that. Gleeson probably the standout in the pack and has another year at this level. Very impressive.

McNabney is probably our (ulster) best backrow prospect in quite a while, but that doesn't necessarily mean much.

Thought Quinn wasn't quite as advertised, but it looked to me like he was hampered by playing openside because we had nobody else to. Played much better when he got the ball wider and, as you say, showcased a bit of his abrasiveness out wide.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s mad that Scott Penney got more votes than Doris.

Funny I don’t remember posting in this thread but on reading through I see I made a point about shiny new things and it beung difficult to make these calls and I was right. Trying to look ahead is very hard especially for players that haven’t quite made the breakthrough yet.

Well I’m sure if it wasn’t for Injury Connors would have a lot more caps. It just shows how unpredictable these things are.

Injuries certainly make it more of a lottery, Leavy would also have hoovered up a lot of caps too if it weren’t for injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,137 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Where's granny?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I think Quinn will look better the way munster play than u20. He looks almost like a direct analogue to hodnett’s role while gleeson is to coombes.

A back five of edogbo, ahern, gleeson, coombes and hodnett a couple of years from now is pretty big and nasty, with kendellan, o connell and quinn on the bench. These things never actually work out like that but it is interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭conquestscarer

Doris had an odd start to his career in how Fa

It's funny, Doris received almost no hype when he was in school or playing for the u20s but it seems that all the coaches he has worked with adore him and the way he plays. Never would have put him down as starting for Ireland in the six nations at 21, but he just keeps going up levels as a player.

You might be right about coming out of school, but he's one of the best u20 players we've had in the last 10 years imo. He played for a poor side, but I can't think of a forward that's stood out as well as him since his campaign. Ryan Baird was very eye-catching and John Hodnett was immense as well, but none were as impactful as Doris for me. Gleeson was very good this year and has another year to go at this level. Probably missing a few players.

I don't remember Baird. I think he missed that years 6nations. It was Deeny, Murray and Ryan in the row.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Doris was injured for all but one World Cup U20 game if I recall correctly, which is why some people may have felt he flew under the radar. Jack O'Sullivan played eight that competition.

This wasn't my recollection of him at all - I had heard huge hype about him while he was still in Blackrock from people connected to the school, or family etc.

Agreed - he was awesome at 20s when healthy. James Culhane looked absolutely brilliant on last year's GS winning team too, and after that the guys who were the most eye catching for me at U20s level over the past 10 years or so have been Andrew Porter, Garry Ringrose, Tommy O'Brien, Alex Kendellen, Craig Casey, Matthew Devine, Max Deegan and John Hodnett.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I thought Kendellan's performances in the summer of 2021 were the best I've seen from an Irish u20. Put the team on his back, scored 6 tries in 5 games, and carried, tackled, and jackalled everything in sight.

That being said, Doris, Culhane, and Gleeson were/are all more exciting prospects at 8 for me, as they clearly have the frame for the position at senior level.

Ah I think Doris was fairly hyped coming into the academy. Deegan getting injured when he did, seriously helped him advance. He got a lot of minutes and learned quickly. I think it was always obvious just based on size that he would get more than Penny.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Culhane likely to get any senior game time next year? Anyone know if/how he's been playing in the AIL?

Yeah, I'd say there's a good chance he gets some gametime. He seems well regarded and is closer than you'd expect. For a guy who was Year 1 academy last year he played 3 times (1 start) and went on the Emerging Ireland tour where he was pretty good, scoring 2 tries against the Pumas. He can do a job at 6 and 8, so if all of Doris, Conan and Baird are given some time off post RWC then I'd expect Culhane to get some minutes.

There has been some good quality these past years. It's really exciting. This year alone there's Quinn, Gleeson and McNabney and Mangan will probably be more suited to blindside. Molony has been unfortunate with injury and we can't assess where he's at.

Culhane was brilliant last year alongside the lads from Ulster. 2 years straight with massive talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Got in the team of the world cup also.

Doris is one of our best 20s ever as a 20.year old.i was wondering how him.and deegan would go together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

Gleeson being eligable next year again seems crazy. Was one of the most physical players in the comp this year i think

Advertisement