Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Uncapped Back Row “Stocktake” - 2020 & Beyond

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Granny15 wrote: »
    The fact he hasn’t responded or defended his position to me shows that he was stirring things up and was happy to sit back and watch his blatant wind ups unleashed on this forum.

How do you know I didn’t grow up with Penny or that he’s not my neighbour or cousin? Of course people will have horses in the race and to say we are one team and there is no internal competition kumbayah is naive and in fact I think it’s a further attempt to wind some supporters up.

When a players dreams and contracts and his professional career and his chance to have the honour of representing his country and to do it honourably is on the line you’re damn right people will get defensive/aggressive.

If you’re from a similar background or place as someone you’re damn right you’re going to back their corner and fight for it till the bitter end. That’s all I’m doing. I’m sorry if it doesn’t mean as much to you but it does to me.

So your seeing yet another attempt at someone trying to wind people up? This one based on something that wasn’t said. You also seem to think that people saying they prefer or even rate a certain player on an anonymous forum somehow might affect another players chances of making it or playing internationally. Even if you are Penney it doesn’t matter whether people here think he’s the worst player that’s ever lived because it wouldn’t make any difference to his prospects.

Just to add I’m sure the poster has better things to do than defend his post to someone who is posting in the manner you are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭Granny15

salmocab wrote: »
    So your seeing yet another attempt at someone trying to wind people up? This one based on something that wasn’t said. You also seem to think that people saying they prefer or even rate a certain player on an anonymous forum somehow might affect another players chances of making it or playing internationally. Even if you are Penney it doesn’t matter whether people here think he’s the worst player that’s ever lived because it wouldn’t make any difference to his prospects.

Just to add I’m sure the poster has better things to do than defend his post to someone who is posting in the manner you are

I wouldn’t be so sure. I know for a fact players and journalists read these forums therefore any attempt to influence them or wind them up should be crushed.

And also creating an unstoppable band wagon amongst readers can catch on and take hold amongst supporters and become fact when that’s not necessarily the case. These attempts need to be put to bed immediately

I wouldn’t be so sure. I know for a fact players and journalists read these forums therefore any attempt to influence them or wind them up should be crushed.

Crushed? Are you for real, things said here mean absolutely nothing outside of the 1s and 0s in the boards servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,169 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

This is delusional. Completely batsh1t crazy. Journalists reading this crap would be coiling up laughing. You're some Walter Mitty to think they'd be interested in publishing your witterings. Or anyone else's (just to be clear).

prawnsambo wrote: »
    This is delusional. Completely batsh1t crazy. Journalists reading this crap would be coiling up laughing. You're some Walter Mitty to think they'd be interested in publishing your witterings. Or anyone else's (just to be clear).

Ridicule the poster it’s an old ploy. Indeed journalists and players all read or are partial to the utterings online. Rumours, agendas and hyperbole are all too relevant in the modern game most of it starting online. People post online because they support a team or player and want to put across that view.

They hope it catches on and all too often these “opinions” are designed to tout a particular player and create a bandwagon starting amongst supporters which then becomes reality. It catches on. To say it doesn’t and then ridicule me says more about you and your lack of awareness of the negatives of the internet in today’s day and age.

That’s it ridicule me Without getting into the fact that online agendas are in fact exist all over the world are policed by large internet companies and are all over the news. I know for a fact players and journalists read this and a lot of what is posted causes harm.

But don’t get into the arguments on the merits of the players in question. And just to be clear I am not arrogant enough to think they publish my utterings but I do think if they see opposition to one point of view they will be see the stupidity of that point of view and perhaps think against going along with it.

• Advertisement

I'm ridiculing the post. Which I see you've doubled down on. You can read my last post as a response to it. I see no reason to repeat myself.

And I’ll triple down on it. A lot of what is said online is harmful and dangerous. I’m just defending my corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Clegg wrote: »
    All the best ones are from Leinster tbf.

McCann from Ulster might be a good one, but can't be compared to Doris or Deegan yet.

But while we're here, you're the Leinster fan, what is it that happens at schoolboy rugby (and youth rugby) in Leinster that you keep churning out all these back rowers?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

bilston wrote: »
    McCann from Ulster might be a good one, but can't be compared to Doris or Deegan yet.

But while we're here, you're the Leinster fan, what is it that happens at schoolboy rugby (and youth rugby) in Leinster that you keep churning out all these back rowers?

Full S&C routines and dieticians throughout secondary school is probably the biggest factor. Full time qualified coaching staff to run it all too.

And the superior blood lines of course.

And I’ll triple down on it. A lot of what is said online is harmful and dangerous. I’m just defending my corner.

Surely if you claim to be defending your corner then it’s you pushing an agenda? I doubt many here care whether Penney or Connors is better or turns out the best and generally are hopeful they both turn out to be top class, you however have repeatedly knocked Connors which is the only thing I’ve seen here that’s close to agenda pushing. Which presumably your doing because you apparently feel it might be good for a Penney’s career.

• Advertisement

Surely if you claim to be defending your corner then it’s you pushing an agenda? I doubt many here care whether Penney or Connors is better or turns out the best and generally are hopeful they both turn out to be top class, you however have repeatedly knocked Connors which is the only thing I’ve seen here that’s close to agenda pushing. Which presumably your doing because you apparently feel it might be good for a Penney’s career.
    It's completely deluded. [Insert name of random anonymous poster on boards] says [Insert name of player] is [insert superlative of choice]. We really should cap this guy. Said no coach ever. :D

I said I wanted to stop any band wagon attempts. To do that I have had to emphasise one players attributes at the expense of another’s. If you want to call that agenda then fine you’re entitled to your opinion.

It's completely deluded. [Insert name of random anonymous poster on boards] says [Insert name of player] is [insert superlative of choice]. We really should cap this guy. Said no coach ever. :D

We should start a campaign to get venjur capped

Band wagons start all the time online. To say they don’t is delusional. I’ll stop there because I’m it’s going around in circles. You don’t believe things started online catch on and I do.

Band wagons start all the time online. To say they don’t is delusional. I’ll stop there because I’m it’s going around in circles. You don’t believe things started online catch on and I do.

We’re talking about professional athletes with professional coaches not telling people Cathy in number 17 is having an affair.

We should start a campaign to get venjur capped
    So many great attributes. Where to start?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

We’re talking about professional athletes with professional coaches not telling people Cathy in number 17 is having an affair.

I f*cking knew it.

Buer wrote: »
    I f*cking knew it.

A hussey so she is

I f*cking knew it.
    A hussey so she is
    Cathy Hussey is having an affair?

This is how it starts.

Venjur's carrying stats are off the wall.

Even still I thought I’d nip it in the bud. You never hear the uproar of support after Penny scores 10 tries in his first season and 4 tries in 5 matches this season. He is very often in the right place at the right time and there’s no mention of it online. Connors gets 48 tackles and the whole world knows about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Venjur is carrying on with Cathy Hussey purple monkey dishwasher.

Venjur is carrying on with Cathy Hussey purple monkey dishwasher.
    That should do it. Venjur's phone should be lighting up about now.

Even still I thought I’d nip it in the bud. You never hear the uproar of support after Penny scores 10 tries in his first season and 4 tries in 5 matches this season. He is very often in the right place at the right time and there’s no mention of it online. Connors gets 48 tackles and the whole world knows about it.

Just to be clear you haven’t nipped anything in the bud, just like other people’s opinions here yours means nothing to anyone else. There was plenty of talk about Penney by the way and Connors is very good despite what you think.

Just to be clear you haven’t nipped anything in the bud, just like other people’s opinions here yours means nothing to anyone else. There was plenty of talk about Penney by the way and Connors is very good despite what you think.

If it means nothing then why post here? Seems a bit nihilistic

You never know. It *eventually* worked with Rob Kearney. Jamie Heaslip got injured before the hex could take.

If it means nothing then why post here? Seems a bit nihilistic

You genuinely think posting in what’s effectively an online chat room means anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You genuinely think posting in what’s effectively an online chat room means anything?

Yes because OBVIOUSLY the players and management staff are going to read his posts and recruit him salmo.

Well it doesn’t mean nothing which is what you said. You wouldn’t post here if you felt your opinions were useless to anybody. A long journey starts with one step. Change one persons mind and change the world. (Sorry watching too much CNN)

Chap clearly sits in the pub silently sipping on his beverage of choice. Can't be seen to be nihilisticly chatting. In public. People could take notes. Important people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Advertisement