Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Yes, cordners definitely going in and not the strollers shop for trendier wear but the older one on grattan street.
    I think we can be pretty sure there will be the usual over priced cafes/smoothie bars/ icecream parlours with average foods and long queues.
    Sorry to be so negative about the thing but I just think the town has so much more potential than this. If i want to be paying the big prices I will personally be going to the bigger cities with bigger and better choice of shops where at least i expect to be overcharged for my purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Did you see,the opening date is now October 25th......typical or what!!! But on the good side,Tommy Hilfiger is opening in there,a costa coffee and The Jean Scene

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

bobcar61 wrote:
    Did you see,the opening date is now October 25th......typical or what!!! But on the good side,Tommy Hilfiger is opening in there,a costa coffee and The Jean Scene

Oh dear, oh dear!
    What I don't understand is why they don't just say 'Opening soon' and stop giving all these dates that they won't be ready by.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

big white shed is being dismantled atm.

what a waste of time and money that was!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

magnumlady wrote:
    Oh dear, oh dear!
    What I don't understand is why they don't just say 'Opening soon' and stop giving all these dates that they won't be ready by.

true. I bet they will not be ready for their Oct. deadline now, when they have broken previous deadlines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 sligotrue

yeah no loos in sligo quite a joke. i go to lyons to p. after all it was them that wouldnt allow argos to go to retail park. and what is the story with no supervalue in sligo. This supermarket is in every other town in the west. As for tesco if there was a health and safety officer working for that place they would be long closed. the fruit and veg is mouldy the store is too small and all the canned items are dented. I think that sligo in 2050 will be a small town swallowed up by collooney and the co councillers will be scratching their are ses wondering why!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

sligotrue wrote:
    yeah no loos in sligo quite a joke. i go to lyons to p. after all it was them that wouldnt allow argos to go to retail park. and what is the story with no supervalue in sligo. This supermarket is in every other town in the west. As for tesco if there was a health and safety officer working for that place they would be long closed. the fruit and veg is mouldy the store is too small and all the canned items are dented. I think that sligo in 2050 will be a small town swallowed up by collooney and the co councillers will be scratching their are ses wondering why!

The sad thing is 2-3 months ago I would have strongly disagreed with you but these days I find it hard to fault these statements/arguements:(

With regard to the Lyons thing though.

In all fairness there was a group of business ppl who were involved and they didn't stop Argos coming into Sligo.

They merely drew attention to a paragraph in the Town Charter which when interpreted by them, would not allow a store like Argos locate in the Retail Park.

If anyone is to blame it's the Chamber of Commerce!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

big white shed is being dismantled atm.

what a waste of time and money that was!

No it wasn't. Tesco's old ware house was demolished, this was put in place as a temporary warehouse (although it didn't have enough ground floor and was too high). Without this building, Tesco would have had no warehouse. What would have happened then?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭slavigo

With regard to the Argos thing. It was stopped because it sold items that were not allowed to be sold under the town charter/development thingy.

The council conveniently ignored it until your man that own Lyons "selflessly" pointed it out (bless him, I'll not be going back! Well until I need something, jasus I've no staying power). The ironic thing to the best of my knowledge is that Homebase, PC World etc. all sell the small household items that argos was banned for.

I think it was things along the lines of small household consumables or something like that. CD's, kitchen cloths etc.. (I could be wrong though)

I hear that the last unit up there is being kept for Argos and that the battle rages on behind the scenes. If HomeBase pulled out because of it, I'd miss it but I'd say fair play to them. Once again the Chamber of Commerce manages to help progress the town, I only wish they'd take off their out of focus glasses and maybe concentrate on some real issues.

But then again thats just my opinion or more to the point what I understood was going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sligotrue

anyways does anyone know of any other towns in ireland who have this daft plan of only selling convenience goods within the town and not out of town because they are "afraid" of losing business.

Surely a second tesco in Carraroe would bring even more people to the town . I fear that some of the people writing on this board are working with the council themselves so Id better be careful. But if you want to see how towns should be run look at Carrick or Castlebar. 2 townsthat will soon be bigger than Sligo and taking all its business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,820 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sligotrue wrote:
    I fear that some of the people writing on this board are working with the council themselves so Id better be careful.
    Dont be afraid to say whats on your mind regardless of who is posting here providing you post within the guidelines as set out in the charter.

Only people you need to fear here are nanook and myself who just sit in the bushes waiting to pounce with the big bad ban stick ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

boo

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

nanook wrote:
    boo

Are you saying boo or boo urns?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

just jumping from the bush

nanook wrote:
    just jumping from the bush

So that's what you kids are calling it nowadays.

nanook wrote:
    boo
    < < < see what i mean - thats him hiding in the bushes :D

:D:D

Now back on topic everyone - especially me

muffler wrote:

Now back on topic everyone - especially me

Ah, damn spoilsport mods. *shakes fist*

Does any one actually know when this place is actually opening? I've heard a couple of dates.

sligotrue wrote:
    anyways does anyone know of any other towns in ireland who have this daft plan of only selling convenience goods within the town and not out of town because they are "afraid" of losing business.

Surely a second tesco in Carraroe would bring even more people to the town . I fear that some of the people writing on this board are working with the council themselves so Id better be careful. But if you want to see how towns should be run look at Carrick or Castlebar. 2 townsthat will soon be bigger than Sligo and taking all its business.

Dundalk, Drogheda, Letterkenny,......etc.
    Lots! Ask residents in these places and they'll tell you the same thing!

The problem in Sligo is a small group of businessmen (yes all men in this case) who want to protect their old outdated stores and don't care if ppl have a choice!

Actually I belive that SueMe is a business woman herself in Sligo so maybe she can add something to this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Ah, damn spoilsport mods. *shakes fist*

Does any one actually know when this place is actually opening? I've heard a couple of dates.

I've heard 27/28th sept but nothing concrete.

JoeyJJ wrote:
    I've heard 27/28th sept but nothing concrete.

That's what I heard but someone said october.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

sligotrue wrote:

Well, with Boots soon to open just up from Heatons in Carrick on Shannon, where there is free parking, that's another reason for me not to shop in Sligo anymore.

Regarding the shopping centre, what about the 'books' as listed on a huge poster outside the retail park a while back? Someone posted here that it would be Hughes and Hughes but I can't find any evidence for this. Hope it's not just another Sligo bookshop relocating into there.

About buying small Argos goods in Homebase.....Its is possible to place a customer order for any good in the Argos catalogue in Homebase.They will order it and deliver it for ya......I work there,thats the only reason I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

That's what I heard but someone said october.

Yeah it is no longer the end of September, now it is meant to be open at the end of October, around the 27th I think.

genie wrote:
    Well, with Boots soon to open just up from Heatons in Carrick on Shannon, where there is free parking, that's another reason for me not to shop in Sligo anymore.

Indeed! If that road from Collooney to Castlebaldwin was improved we be elsected!:D
    Regarding the shopping centre, what about the 'books' as listed on a huge poster outside the retail park a while back? Someone posted here that it would be Hughes and Hughes but I can't find any evidence for this. Hope it's not just another Sligo bookshop relocating into there.

I'm afraid you could be right there!:(
    There is nothing on the Hughes & Hughes site (or eason's for that matter!)

Personally I don't think we need another bookshop but that's me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I took a pic of the back of the centre today, it looks much better minus the white 'thing'
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/1387245769/

magnumlady wrote:
    I took a pic of the back of the centre today, it looks much better minus the white 'thing'
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnumlady/1387245769/

Yeah I seen it earlier, it looks great.

ive heard from a reliable source that easons are going in where Burger King is but I'm not sure when....that building was sold to Easons...apparently

• Advertisement

bobcar61 wrote:
    ive heard from a reliable source that easons are going in where Burger King is but I'm not sure when....that building was sold to Easons...apparently

Where are burger king going?

Advertisement