Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

bobcar61 wrote:
    The bookshop is HUGHES & HUGHES.

I wonder what other shops apart from the few listed will locate their,hopefull topman/topshop and schuh or an equivalent

Excellent, thank you.

ETA: I've just had a look at their website and Sligo isn't on the list of stores or stores coming soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

magnumlady wrote:
    I always think of all the furniture shops as empty units:D Might just be me, just way too many of them.
    Cleveragh is just a joke, I feel really sorry for Smyths out there all on their ownsome. Although if Argos and Heatons moved in there, it could well pick up.

Why did / does not Argos and Heatons move to the Johnston Court development ? I am sure the developers would be pleased / would have been pleased to accomodate them. After all, Argos are in or relatively close to the town centres in places like Castlebar, Athlone, Enniskillen etc etc Time for the Argos's and Aldis of this world to bite the bullet and open in Sligo if they want to. Time for the Borough Council to provide facilities like car parking etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

you wouldnt fit either argos or a heatons into one of the units in the johnstons court centre, if you divide 28 shops into 110,000 sq foot you'd only get about 3900 sp ft, and then you have to take into account the cafe, etc. aApart from the smaller shops in carraroe such as carpetright, allendale or tile market, the smallest are 10,000 sq ft (pc world, harry corry, etc). according to my old boss (in one of the shops in the carraroe retail park) the empty unit up there is still being held for argos if they can get through all the planning crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

I am sure the developers of Johnston Court would have designed the shopping centre around Argos or Heatons or whoever else as anchor tenant. They could knock 2 shops in to one, and / or use some of the basement storage space etc. Is there not supposed to be loading / unloading space in an underground delivery area there for 40 ft lorries? That was the plan anyway. The retail area of Argos in Athlone, Enniskillen, Castlebar etc is not 10,000 sq ft. The point is there are loads of brown field sites within half a mile or a mile of the town centre, without going two and a half miles out to Carraroe. That place is just a windswept hill, well outside walking distance of town. Ye even get soaked walking from one end of the place to the other. Never again. Also, not very environmentally friendly - or practical for that matter - to have to get in to a car to drive all the way out there to get something small. No wonder there was so few people there last time I visited. Anyway, that is the development plan, like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I think Argos wanted an Argos Extra Store which meant they would need to have parking nearby, so Johnston Court would be out, Wine Street car park is just a no go zone.
    Heatons seem to be doing much bigger shops lately, judging by the Carrick and Castlebar ones, they are spread over 2 or 3 floors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

magnumlady wrote:
    The whole public toilet and parking thing is just a joke. I wonder if there will be a toilet in the new centre.
    I had to use the one in a certain fast food place today (the kids were eating in there), someone had s**t in the sink.....thats just gross.

:eek: Yeah, there should be a seperate toilet for blind people! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

I just read in the paper that the center isn't opening until September 27th! :(

Madge wrote:
    I just read in the paper that the center isn't opening until September 27th! :(

Yep I read that to, can't say I'm surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

It could be Christmas by the time it finally gets opened!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

3 mobile going in too. Possibly Hugo Boss man and women along with all the crap existing stores in Sligo. It's a joke!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

carebare wrote:
    I head that the Elvery's and Jack and Jones shops are simply relocating to the new shopping centre..hardly an exciting new shopping centre for us then?!Apparently all the units are tiny, like shops at the airports.:(

Yeah same here, loads of dull shops that we already have! And the Units look really small.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

lubie76 wrote:
    3 mobile going in too.

That will actually be pretty handy if I ever have a problem with my phone when I'm back in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Eh...At least its a start people!

Remember what it was like before the Quayside opened or Carraroe retail park??
    Sure it's not perfect but it's still going to be an improvement.

I for one am looking forward to the grand opening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Long term goal I think at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Somehow I cant see hugo boss opening a store in Sligo but thats just my opinion,there is hardly the demand for one!!!
    Also, there is a Tom Tailor opening as quoted from the Sligo Champion,seems to be quite a big name, but I for one have never heard of him....Has anyone else???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Gillie wrote:
    Eh...At least its a start people!

Remember what it was like before the Quayside opened or Carraroe retail park??
    Sure it's not perfect but it's still going to be an improvement.

I for one am looking forward to the grand opening!

I remember when Gay Byrne opened Five Star, the first supermarket in the present Tesco shop, Will they be able to beat that ? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

bobcar61 wrote:
    Somehow I cant see hugo boss opening a store in Sligo but thats just my opinion,there is hardly the demand for one!!!
    Also, there is a Tom Tailor opening as quoted from the Sligo Champion,seems to be quite a big name, but I for one have never heard of him....Has anyone else???

Apparently it's a big name and this is it's first Irish store.

bobcar61 wrote:

I have a couple of Tom Taylor shirts.
    Got them in Malta but don't know where he is from??
    Um. I think the shirts are nice! The wife picked them.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Hugo Boss will be EJ's store with Hugo Boss only sales.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

bobcar61 wrote:

never heard of them, but i was looking at their website and the clothes looks quite like some of the stuff from next and river island, but without a lot of the poncy "cityname, sports team" plastered across the shirt.

the stuff looks quite good too

• Advertisement

As I said I have a couple of TT shirts and they're grand!
    Just my opinion.

Noticed that there seems to be a large sports shop being kitted out at the entrance behind the "temporary" Tesco warehouse.

The tesco warehouse is an eyesore in front of it, wonder when they will dismantle it ????

Was looking at it today. It has to go TBH! Couldn't have ppl going in by that thing!

Last I checked, it was only a temporary building so hopefully it'll be gone soon but they are using it as their warehouse so until they get a new one, it ain't going any where.

Last I checked, it was only a temporary building so hopefully it'll be gone soon but they are using it as their warehouse so until they get a new one, it ain't going any where.

Probably apply for retention :):):)

And they have a big for sale sign on it. :confused:

dingding wrote:
    Probably apply for retention :):):)

I know! Kinda weird!!!:confused:

dingding wrote:

What? That's just fúcking weird.

did you see in the champion that the sony centre and cordners are looking for staff and also exit which is a kids clothing shop
    cordners is just a waste of space

bobcar61 wrote:
    did you see in the champion that the sony centre and cordners are looking for staff and also exit which is a kids clothing shop
    cordners is just a waste of space
    Is Cordners moving into the new shopping centre as well?

• Advertisement

so it says in the Sligo Champion......I dont know if they are re-locating or just another branch
    I have to say thats a shop I never go into,this new shopping centre is oddly sounding like sligo town re-locating under a roof....bar a few shops...lol!!!

Advertisement