Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Looks like someone forgot to change the shopping centres name when they were doing this pic
    http://www.johnstoncourt.ie/3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

There's a billboard somewhere (think it's the one at the Retail Park roundabout) and it lists books. Anyone know what bookshop this is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why do we need another elverys? jesus we've got almost every sports shop you can need at this stage.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Why do we need another elverys? jesus we've got almost every sports shop you can need at this stage.

They're not putting an elverys in it are they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

genie wrote:
    There's a billboard somewhere (think it's the one at the Retail Park roundabout) and it lists books. Anyone know what bookshop this is?

I didn't see that billboard, must look out for it. Hopefully we'll get an Eason.
    I thought we had an Elverys in the town already or am I thinking of one of the many other sport shops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Sligo could do with a good big decent bookshop and newsagent. It would be a dream if Eason's came :)
    There's already an Elvery's on O'Connell St. isn't there?

I'd also like a Heatons and Harvey Norman, although they might be best suited to another place in the town. I emailed them both but no reply.
    Emailed Eason too but they are franchises so they couldn't tell me much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

magnumlady wrote:
    I didn't see that billboard, must look out for it. Hopefully we'll get an Eason.
    I thought we had an Elverys in the town already or am I thinking of one of the many other sport shops.

Yeah an Easons would be great and yep we've already got an Elverys so I can't see them putting another one in there but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I'd love an Easons in Sligo, I think we're the only large town that doesn't have a branch, or am I wrong. Is someone keeping Easons out of Sligo? Having said that, I think if we were going to get an Easons in there it would have been listed with the other 'big name' shops, so don't hold your breath. :(

I'd love a Heaton's too, the one in Carrick on Shannon is great, but I agree, it would be suited to a more out of town location like Carrick's branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

h&m would be really nice and top shop yup yup :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

I head that the Elvery's and Jack and Jones shops are simply relocating to the new shopping centre..hardly an exciting new shopping centre for us then?!Apparently all the units are tiny, like shops at the airports.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

How many of the shops going into this thing arent shops that we already have that are just relocating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

New stores are:
    Virgin
    Exit
    Pamela Scott
    Sony

Relocated:
    Evelrys
    Jack & Jones
    Petermark
    H. Samuels
    Vila

Now that adds up to 9 not 25.
    Hope Easons goes in also.

Would love a Heatons. Tonnes of room in Cleveragh retail park but that would be too easy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

Isn't Sasha going into it aswell? I really miss that store

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And I think Adams is going back in, remember they used to be in O'Connell St next to H Samuel and they moved to Lyons when the Johnstons Court was being built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 carebare

Da boyf was working in there for a couple of days and after lots of my badgering him bout what shops were in there he actually looked(!) and said the first is an ice cream shop, second smoothie bar, another one is the bag shop, some accesories shop(possibly Claire's) and then just all the others we've already heard of.Lot not filled up yet Basically nothing very exciting :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭vesp

Nice shopping centre, and I hope it does well, but where is the car parking ? Much of the area it is built on used to be car park space until they started building a few years ago. Where are the staff and customers of these new shops + apartments supposed to park ? In the lobby of the ***** town hall ? What a borough council. They take money + make things worse instead of better. They cannot even provide a public toilet in the " city ".

vesp wrote:
    Nice shopping centre, and I hope it does well, but where is the car parking ? Much of the area it is built on used to be car park space until they started building a few years ago. Where are the staff and customers of these new shops + apartments supposed to park ? In the lobby of the ***** town hall ? What a borough council. They take money + make things worse instead of better. They cannot even provide a public toilet in the " city ".

You and I "discussed" this some months back. At the time I argued that there had to be a car park! Theres just no way they could omit one!

Well I was wrong and I am shocked!

But why should the developers care! The powers that be are not forcing them to include a car park so they are not going to! Simple as!

There's a couple of guys I could mention in Sligo who need to wake up and smell what they are shovelling!
    /Rant Over!

The whole public toilet and parking thing is just a joke. I wonder if there will be a toilet in the new centre.
    I had to use the one in a certain fast food place today (the kids were eating in there), someone had s**t in the sink.....thats just gross.

magnumlady wrote:
    The whole public toilet and parking thing is just a joke. I wonder if there will be a toilet in the new centre.
    I had to use the one in a certain fast food place today (the kids were eating in there), someone had s**t in the sink.....thats just gross.

I was about to go for lunch!
    I'll pass after reading that.:(

• Advertisement

magnumlady wrote:
    Welcome to Sligo.

magnumlady wrote:
    I'd also like a Heatons and Harvey Norman, although they might be best suited to another place in the town. I emailed them both but no reply.
    Emailed Eason too but they are franchises so they couldn't tell me much.

Shock Horror:
    Good afternoon

Many thanks for the below email.

We are actively seeking a large Store in the Sligo area, but due to planning
    issues we have not been successful to date.

We however are still looking, and hope we will find a solution sooner than later.

Kind regards

Lisa

Lisa Stewart
    Customer Services

HEATONS

:rolleyes:

Well Gillie you got more of a reply then I did.
    Bloody planning issues, no surprise there.
    I saw the billboard up at the retail park it mentiond (off the top of my head):
    Accessories, books, eateries, electrical, movies and music. I know it mentioned more but I can't remember. If I'm there again I'll take a photo.
    Walked past the shopping centre today and it stil looks no where near ready, unless it going for that breeze block look.

It looks nice from the Tesco cark park if you can ignore the stupid white shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

genie wrote:

The bookshop is HUGHES & HUGHES.

I wonder what other shops apart from the few listed will locate their,hopefull topman/topshop and schuh or an equivalent

I think the full list of shops will be announced next week. I read it in one of the papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

From Irish Times.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2007/0627/1181771934949.html

Line-up of tenants at Sligo center takes shape

ShoppingCentres: About two-thirds of the shops in the new Johnston Court shopping mall in Sligo have either been pre-let or are under negotiation.

The €70 million complex - developed by Ray and Eileen Monahan - is due to open for business on August 23rd.

The new facility will provide a much needed boost to shopping in Sligo and re-establish O'Connell Street as the principal shopping area.

Johnston Court is the first commercial development carried out in an area designated by Sligo Borough Council for urban renewal. The mall will have 10,279sq m (110,000sq ft) of shopping on two levels incorporating 28 two-storey shops and a juice bar, coffee shop and restaurant.

The first tenants will include Elverys, Virgin, Pamela Scott, H Samuel, Peter Mark, Costa Coffee, Esprit Black, Sony, Clarkes shoes, Claire's Accessories and a number of enterprising local retailers who operate international franchises.

The Mall will have a glazed roof, six metres high and, together with double height entrances, this will allow for maximum natural light. The natural lighting will be complemented by blue and white internal lighting to create a comfortable shopping ambience. The mall is floored and decorated throughout with Jura limestone.

The centrepiece of the mall is an attractive winding staircase leading to a first and second floor coffee shop which overlooks O'Connell Street. There are over 1,000 car-parking spaces in the adjoining Wine Street car-park.

dingding wrote:
    From Irish Times.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/commercialproperty/2007/0627/1181771934949.html

Line-up of tenants at Sligo center takes shape

ShoppingCentres: About two-thirds of the shops in the new Johnston Court shopping mall in Sligo have either been pre-let or are under negotiation.

The €70 million complex - developed by Ray and Eileen Monahan - is due to open for business on August 23rd.

The new facility will provide a much needed boost to shopping in Sligo and re-establish O'Connell Street as the principal shopping area.

Johnston Court is the first commercial development carried out in an area designated by Sligo Borough Council for urban renewal. The mall will have 10,279sq m (110,000sq ft) of shopping on two levels incorporating 28 two-storey shops and a juice bar, coffee shop and restaurant.

The first tenants will include Elverys, Virgin, Pamela Scott, H Samuel, Peter Mark, Costa Coffee, Esprit Black, Sony, Clarkes shoes, Claire's Accessories and a number of enterprising local retailers who operate international franchises.

The Mall will have a glazed roof, six metres high and, together with double height entrances, this will allow for maximum natural light. The natural lighting will be complemented by blue and white internal lighting to create a comfortable shopping ambience. The mall is floored and decorated throughout with Jura limestone.

The centrepiece of the mall is an attractive winding staircase leading to a first and second floor coffee shop which overlooks O'Connell Street. There are over 1,000 car-parking spaces in the adjoining Wine Street car-park.

Where are the 1,000 car parking spaces? Is there a new carpark?
    The list doesn't look very exciting, we have most of them already and as for onlt 2/3rds of the shops being pre-let I wonder if it will be like the retail park, over 2 years old and still empty units.

magnumlady wrote:
    Where are the 1,000 car parking spaces? Is there a new carpark?
    The list doesn't look very exciting, we have most of them already and as for onlt 2/3rds of the shops being pre-let I wonder if it will be like the retail park, over 2 years old and still empty units.

They are pulling a fast one here! Those 1000 spaces will not be there until after the Wine Street Car Park development.

There is one empty unit in the retail park! Not that bad really!

(Unless you mean Cleveragh?!):o

• Advertisement

Gillie wrote:
    They are pulling a fast one here! Those 1000 spaces will not be there until after the Wine Street Car Park development.

There is one empty unit in the retail park! Not that bad really!

(Unless you mean Cleveragh?!):o

I always think of all the furniture shops as empty units:D Might just be me, just way too many of them.
    Cleveragh is just a joke, I feel really sorry for Smyths out there all on their ownsome. Although if Argos and Heatons moved in there, it could well pick up.

Advertisement