Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x01 - "Remembrance" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

Sounds like someone has been woke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭Evade

I've got a woke take:

Star Trek Picard is fascist because it implies refugees should completely assimilate into their host culture as evidenced by Picard's Romulan slaves workers having human cis white hetero patriarchal signifiers of marriage (wedding rings).
    Not my actual opinion and the wedding rings are probably just convenient TV shorthand but it's still odd

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭pah

Anybody read the Picard countdown comics? Gives background on the 2 Romulans and why they are with Picard on the vineyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've a feeling Countdown #3 may fill-in some of the blanks.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Also I'm liking that new shiny look on the EntD

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

Evade wrote: »
    • Lore was as advanced as Data

Juliana Tainer was pretty advanced too.

I'm guessing the anti-synth stuff probably fed into The Doctor being deactivated and maybe Seven being pissed about that? We shall see.

But sure Mars has been on fire for a decade, I guess Starfleet aren't what they used to be.

Juliana Tainer was pretty advanced too.

I'm guessing the anti-synth stuff probably fed into The Doctor being deactivated and maybe Seven being pissed about that? We shall see.

But sure Mars has been on fire for a decade, I guess Starfleet aren't what they used to be.
    True. Lore sprang to mind more immediately because they were standing over a copy of Data saying no android was as advanced as Data.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I wonder what happened to Lore. I remember Data "permanently disassembling" him after "Descent" but not clear on where those parts ended up. Would guess they would have to be somewhere very secure due to the previous times he was disassembled and someone ended up finding the parts and re-assembling him.

True. Lore sprang to mind more immediately because they were standing over a copy of Data saying no android was as advanced as Data.

They may not even know about her. Picard could have sealed the medical record, or he and Beverly could have just put a "broken arm repair" in the medical file which would be technically correct (the best kind)

She was far more advanced than Data/Lore too. Full integrated emotions, tactile feeling akin to the Borg Queen on Data's face/arm, ageing software etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I immediately thought of Juliana when they were going on about Data's uniqueness - she may still be 'alive' out there (did she live on a federation world?), with no-one in Starfeet aware of her nature. Who knew at the time? Picard, Beverly, Data - anyone else? Interesting to see Starfleet's narrow-minded negativity about genetic engineering now being extended to synths - they really don't like seeing the parameters of personhood stretched beyond the familiar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I've a feeling Countdown #3 may fill-in some of the blanks.

When is that released? I've read the first two and 8 think the 3rd is the final issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

When is that released? I've read the first two and 8 think the 3rd is the final issue.

Says online its out the 29th January. Seems a bit silly to not have it out before the series aired, but howandever.

I've read the first 2 and it does fill in some of the blanks alright - notably the background of Picard's Romulan houseguests

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,084 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I don't think they care about B4 or Lore for who they are. For Maddox Data was the holy grail, and B4 is just a means to get access to some of him. And Lore doesn't have that, and so isn't useful. That and the whole murder/torture thing.

Spear wrote: »
    I don't think they care about B4 or Lore for who they are. For Maddox Data was the holy grail, and B4 is just a means to get access to some of him. And Lore doesn't have that, and so isn't useful. That and the whole murder/torture thing.

It's the inaccuracy of the statement that annoyed me. It's a bit like saying no ship was as advanced as the Enterprise-D while forgetting there were many more Galaxy class ships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

It's the inaccuracy of the statement that annoyed me. It's a bit like saying no ship was as advanced as the Enterprise-D while forgetting there were many more Galaxy class ships.

Didn't they keep it quiet about Data's mother? They could hardly write a report about her and then not tell her she's an android.

As to Lore, he was regarded by Soong as inferior to Data.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Says online its out the 29th January. Seems a bit silly to not have it out before the series aired, but howandever.

I've read the first 2 and it does fill in some of the blanks alright - notably the background of Picard's Romulan houseguests

Part 3 was meant to be out last week, but got delayed to the 29th.

Didn't they keep it quiet about Data's mother? They could hardly write a report about her and then not tell her she's an android.

Probably.

As to Lore, he was regarded by Soong as inferior to Data.
    I think that had to do with his personality not hardware. I think Data had commented that he and Lore had the same capabilities.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,084 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

That's true. For a series so dependent upon nostalgia and TNG references, even a single throwaway line about why they ruled out Lore would've done a lot to make it consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Spear wrote: »
    That's true. For a series so dependent upon nostalgia and TNG references, even a single throwaway line about why they ruled out Lore would've done a lot to make it consistent.

Perhaps they're simply avoiding direct references to Lore, either because he will become relevant later, or because they're leaving that matter open for possible future exploration.

Lore was shot by energy weapon which depolarised his neural pathways.

Done

• Advertisement

I wonder if Lore could have been the basis for the first generation of synths and that's why they went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

"The Ready Room" – Picard after-show hosted by Wil Wheaton.

https://intl.startrek.com/videos/watch-the-first-installment-of-the-ready-room-0

Just started it myself. Seems a little better than these things usually are.

Enjoyed the episode but the opening titles are awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,614 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Enjoyed the episode but the opening titles are awful.

Have to disagree. I think thet are beautiful and a hell of a lot better than the one for Discovery.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Watched the after show
    The timelines are not matching up
    Romulus was destroyed in 2387 (since ST 2009 is now canon) but he retired a year or two before that
    Anyone got any explanations?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Solid opening episode, I liked it. The interview was a blunt way to get the "reasons he's retired and Starfleet is in his bad books", but served its purpose. Can't say the Fed wasn't heading that way, becoming more insular and less outwardly enlightened.

Too many questions to even start to guess what might be going on, beyond the obvious presumption it has something to do with the Borg, Romulans and Synths.

Agree on the comments that the first daughters death was a bit glib. Smelled a little too like a convenient plot "gotcha"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Homelander

A bit rushed but quite good. A lot better than Discovery. Looking forward to the 2nd episode already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Sparko

fritzelly wrote: »
    Watched the after show
    Romulus was destroyed in 2387 (since ST 2009 is now canon) but he retired a year or two before that

My take on it - possibly incorrect but I'll give it a bash.

They knew Romulus was going to be destroyed long enough in advance to organise a mass evacuation. So this was underway pre 2387. Mars gets attacked, Federation changes priorities, Picard retires. Then we get to 2387 and Romulus destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Sparko wrote: »
    My take on it - possibly incorrect but I'll give it a bash.

They knew Romulus was going to be destroyed long enough in advance to organise a mass evacuation. So this was underway pre 2387. Mars gets attacked, Federation changes priorities, Picard retires. Then we get to 2387 and Romulus destroyed.

Excellent point, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

fritzelly wrote: »
    Watched the after show

He resigned when the rescue was called off, but since they were in the process of building the rescue fleet that implies that the disaster was forewarned by a couple of years. So, rescue starts with the main fleet, construction of the dedicated rescue vessels starts, main fleet starts getting people out, the synths destroy the in construction rescue fleet & Utopia Planetia, main fleet is recalled, Picard resigns, (somewhere here Spock fecks off to the past with red matter!), Romulus is destroyed!

I would presume this all took place over c. 5 years or so.

Advertisement