Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Picard 1x01 - "Remembrance" [** SPOILERS WITHIN **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Spear wrote: »
    From the canon Countdown comic:

The pre-existing fleet ships were already performing evacuations and surveys within Romulan space. At the same time Geordi LaForge was overseeing the construction of a fleet of dedicated ferries at Utopia Planitia.

Who controlled the synths is unknown, as is why.

Actually I wonder where Geordi LaForge is? Is he alive or was he killed during the attack on Mars and Utopia Plantia?

Also where do Starfleet build there ships now if there main shipyard was destroyed?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Spear wrote: »
    From the canon Countdown comic:

The pre-existing fleet ships were already performing evacuations and surveys within Romulan space. At the same time Geordi LaForge was overseeing the construction of a fleet of dedicated ferries at Utopia Planitia.

Who controlled the synths is unknown, as is why.
    Ok, so that makes more sense given I was reading different years when this was all meant to be taking place.

So, Starfleet withdraw their starships (as mentioned in ST Picard) and an independant type of rescue fleet is being commissioned, and to be led by Picard, only to be destroyed by the rogue 'synths'.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,706 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

AMKC wrote: »
    Actually I wonder where Geordi LaForge is? Is he alive or was he killed during the attack on Mars and Utopia Plantia?

Also where do Starfleet build there ships now if there main shipyard was destroyed?

Could be that the fleet has been severely cut back as a result. If the Federation has become more isolationist then you wouldn't need a huge fleet of exploration vessels anymore, just enough to patrol the borders and logistics.

There's probably lots of older stuff still knocking around after the Dominion war. The Excelsiors were around for decades after all.

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Ok, so that makes more sense given I was reading different years when this was all meant to be taking place.

So, Starfleet withdraw their starships (as mentioned in ST Picard) and an independant type of rescue fleet is being commissioned, and to be led by Picard, only to be destroyed by the rogue 'synths'.

My understanding is that Picard and the fleet were the first wave of rescue ships while the 1000 flying buses (basically) were being constructed.

When Mars is attacked (heh! Will we see federation president Jack? :p) and the rescue ships destroyed, the fleet is withdrawn and Picard resigns in disgust.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

AMKC wrote: »

Anyone know is this is planned to be multi season ? I'm not sure how many seasons the story will support.

There's a season 2, but no idea if it's the same story arc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

2379 - Nemesis
    2385/6 - Mars attack, Picard still an Admiral
    2387 - Romulus destroyed
    2399 - Picard show is set in

Assuming deployment of Starfleet to Romulus was taking to many resources while still dealing with Mars but Picard is supposed to have resigned in 2386 but thought he resigned because they stopped helping Romulans - bit confused over the timelines maybe?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Absolutely loved that , can’t wait to see more. Opening music sounds a lot like Picard playing the flute from the inner light mixed with trek theme.

Dadj looked like she was melting the way the romulan senate did in nemesis with whatever that green particle stuff was shinzon had , looked like it squirted from the phaser rifle. Was probably just radiation though.

Oh and if those comics are canon , wasn’t there one before the JJ trek film that had data alive building the ship Spock , had with the red matter , along with geordi?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,218 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Anyone thinking it was the Tal Shiar that hacked the synths to destroy Mars and the rescue fleet?

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,090 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Anyone thinking it was the Tal Shiar that hacked the synths to destroy Mars and the rescue fleet?

I'd be skeptical of them as the culprits. It doesn't make sense to risk war with the Federation with Romulus at such a weak point, even if you ignore the potential loss of hundreds of millions of lives.

Equally, if it's the Tal Shiar that's actively hunting all synths down, it wouldn't make sense for them to hold such as grudge for something they did themselves.

But I presume revealing the events surrounding the synth attack will be core to the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Great! Fantastic. Lovely tone and pace and everything. Loved it.

Does feel a bit more like (old) Patrick Stewart than a man who used to be Captain Picard, but maybe he'll settle back into the role, or I'll get used it. Or not :-/

But also, he's ****ing great. So that's alright. Looked fantastic in that red uniform for a few fleeting moments.

Everything else: super. Data was great.

ITS DATAS DAUGHTER!!!

MADDOX!!!!!!!

Wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,271 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Goodshape wrote: »
    Does feel a bit more like (old) Patrick Stewart than a man who used to be Captain Picard, but maybe he'll settle back into the roll, or I'll get used it. Or not :-/

Watched a vid there earlier on youtube with him talking about the character is 18 years older and so is he - and that is how it is.
    So I think this is old Picard with some disillusionism and not the one we are used to

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Im not a big Star Trek fan, and enjoyed this as an intriguing and well-made opening episode to a show I’ll be checking back in on every week.

But mostly I’m posting here to just state the completely lukewarm take that this is a reminder that Patrick Stewart is a goddamn treasure. The sense of decency, class and warmth he brings to Picard makes the cap’n one of the all-time great sci-fi heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Loved every second of that. It flew by too, thought we were only about 20 minutes in when it ended. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

A thumbs up from me.

Watched a measure of a man last night on the assumption it could play a history lesson. Little did I know.

Also watched Nemesis earlier tonight to recap on the events that we last saw our favourite crew. It's a pity Data's download into B4 wasn't a success.

Watched it on Amazon Prime at 0010. Not looking forward to the 0640 alarm clock later!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,471 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The romulans have become very human

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

There was a very Irish sounding Romulan in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jim-jam

There was a very Irish sounding Romulan in there!
    That's Orla Brady playing Laris.

Really enjoyed having Picard back on screen. Looking forward to the rest of it now.

Yea there is that alright, and the makeup has lost the alien look as well except for the ears which are more exaggerated this time round.

The personality shift though I think you can probably put down to the fact that the survivors of the supernova have been living and working with the Federation for the past 15 years. Given that they don't try to suppress their emotions like their vulcan cousins, they'd naturally assimilate better into that culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I can't believe Orla Brady is nearly 60 even as a romulan she is gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I can't believe Orla Brady is nearly 60 even as a romulan she is gorgeous.

As the (new) Romulans would say: "Almost 60? Me bollox". Really? Jesus, looking great alright.

I really really enjoyed that. Thought it was very well written and acted. Picard's sudden conclusion (belief?) that she is an android/synthetic was a bit sudden but then I suppose it had being brewing since his second dream of Data.

Stewart was great as Picard. Great to see him so frail at the start. Not even realising himself that he was. And to see him liven up a bit as the plot thickened.

Briones was fantastic as Daj. Simply fantastic. Have never seen her before but hope big things for her future.

Alison Pil is great also. Have seen her in a couple of things previously and she's a fine actor.

Regarding plot. Nice couple of rug-pulls in the episode. I wasn't expecting Daj to die. Certainly not in the first episode.

Also, I assume I was not alone in thinking that she may have been a human "reclaimed" from The Borg. When she introduces herself to Picard and he says "I'm Jean-Luc" I was half expecting her to say "No" and not explain what she meant by that yet.

So is she Datalal? :) I know some will jump on Picard's line: "Data always wanted a daughter" What about Lal? Well, he never said he didn't have a daughter.

As for the Romulans being quite human: Well, in Unification we saw that the average person was quite normal. Once free of their police-state environment you would imagine that they would be quite different from the Romulan military we usually see.

I know that was just an observation above and not a criticism.

But of course there will be the toxics: Too many strong women, Romulans too human, he looks old (FFS), Oh they are going to drag EVERYONE in in desperation (They are already saying that).

But I really really enjoyed that and am very intrigued as to where it's going. I also love Discovery so I am delighted: After years of no Trek or Trek I wasn't interested in (VOY & ENT) I now have two Trek shows that I find fun and interesting. Roll on The Pike Years Show.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭morgana

Loved it. Great episode setting up a very promising story line. When it finished I thought it was over way to quickly it had drawn me in absolutely.

That did not feel like a pilot. No matter that it is 20 years later it's still Picard; Older, frailer, much more cynical, but the man is still there.

Damn CBS and their insistence on an archaic weekly schedule.
    Also shame on CBS for thinking that the world would wait until today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

Got my vote. Really liked it.
    Have a few questions. Watched it back in the days but my memory of events cant seem to remember overall what happened.
    What old episodes / movies should one watch to jog the memory's.

When did data die?
    When did that planet blow up? what was that all about
    What happened to mars?
    Was that a borg ship?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭liamtech

Just chatting to some non fans of Trek. By non, i mean, non die hards, who remember TNG, and some DS9, but would not be overly enthusiastic fans - if its on they watch it, and their viewing dates back to Sky One 5PM & 11PM daily runs

Anyway the consensus is - they want more!! Iv just explained why there isnt a full season drop for bing-ing, so thats the only downside. Iv also promised to supply Nemesis and First Contact DVD's for the guys to watch! lol.. Apparently Amazon Prime do not have either movie available - which is a SLIGHT drop the ball IMHO. I of course didnt notice as i have the lot on DVD

TBH i know its only a few lads, but General Public enthusiasm for Trek is always good.

I feel very enthusiastic, and il say this too. Although i was not Discovery's greatest critic, I feel entirely more excited about this show!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Got my vote. Really liked it.
    Have a few questions. Watched it back in the days but my memory of events cant seem to remember overall what happened.
    What old episodes / movies should one watch to jog the memory's.

When did data die? Nemesis

When did that planet blow up? Romulus? Star Trek 2009 (that film has the Spock from the original timeline explaining why he is in the JJ Trek verse)

What happened to mars? Watch the short "Children of Mars" and more to come

Was that a borg ship? Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Damn CBS and their insistence on an archaic weekly schedule.
    I think the weekly schedule is wonderful!

My big gripe with the dumping of an entire series, and especially so with a much anticipated one like this, is that those of us who haven't the time (or inclination) to blast through the whole thing in one sitting on release day must immediately actively avoid threads/forums like this one, try to avoid getting spoiled on social media and by people in the real world, and are forced to plough through the series as quickly as they can before they inevitably DO get to hear important plot and character details.
    Also, within a day or 2 of release, pretty much all discussion is about the finale and proposals and speculation about future developments. Much of the previous episodes and character/plot development might as well have not happened.

I thought this opening episode was great, and I look forward to the weekly discussion of each episode as they come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I like Hulu's way of doing a series drop, Drop the first three episodes at once and then do the rest of them weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Initially I was like, "right, they're Vulcan. No, they're too human. Oh, they're Romulan...".

One of the criticisms that can be levelled at TNG is that the portrayal of each faction in the universe was quite static. Starfleet was a shining beacon of ethics and morality. Humans were flawed and made individual mistakes, but Starfleet was beyond reproach. Klingons were angry barbarians. Vulcans were cold and logical. Romulans were malevolent and logical. And so on.

You'd occassionally see individuals from these races veer outside the norm, but you never got the impression that there was any kind of great variance in their societies. I think DS9 started to chip away at this.

But we know that the Romulans we saw in TNG were all basically military or military intelligence. And thus were cold and militaristic. We never really saw any "normal" Romulans.

Picard seems to have gone one further to expose a more realistic future human society. The interviewer is a bitch who only cares about ratings. In the wider shot of Boston I swore I could hear a police siren. Little imperfections. Shots of earth in TNG and Voyager showed beautiful sunshine, impeccably clean streets and smiling, happy people. An impossible utopia.

I really like that they haven't gone for the same look and feel as TNG or Voyager.
    fritzelly wrote: »
    Watched a vid there earlier on youtube with him talking about the character is 18 years older and so is he - and that is how it is.
    So I think this is old Picard with some disillusionism and not the one we are used to
    That's 18 years that the viewer has not seen or known Picard. Considering that we only "knew" him for seven continuous years - 15 if you include the movies; then Picard has lived a whole other lifetime since we last knew him. He would be a different person.

Comments about whether this is "rushed", I think are probably valid, but I don't think it's rushed for the sake of it. It's more, "Let's get the backstory out of the way so we can get on with the plot". Dahj seems to be have been extinguished pretty quickly, but then if she wasn't we wouldn't be able to get on with the main plot.

I know there were a lot of things that we "knew" from trailers, like the Borg cube, but it put a lot of pieces together better. Starfleet is not creating synthetics, the cube is under Romulan control and has synthetics working on it.

If I had to guess; when synths were banned, Maddox fled to the Romulans to continue his work. The Romulans had captured an abandoned/crippled borg cube and they used the tech to develop biological synths like Dahj.
    The Romulans' plan for these synths was subterfuge/sleeper agents that they could place wherever they wanted. Maddox managed to create Dahj from some of B4's downloaded data, and sent her into hiding on earth implanted with new memories, and a failsafe to track down Picard if she was discovered.
    The Romulans were trying to capture and return her or destroy her, to prevent the Federation learning about what they're doing.

Why, oh why can't they just drop the whole season at once? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I wonder how deep into lore they will go. I mean, it certainly gave off a more "Prestige" vibe if you know what I mean. I mean it was like a character piece that just happened to involve Star Trek (Which is great, don't get me wrong). But it looks like they are attempting to please fans (done!) and bring in new people who would have thought previously that Trek was too nerdy. (Although same people have no problem with dragon queens and ice zombies "That's different" :) )

I mean they will have to go a fair bit into the lore. The Borg are involved. Will they mention Locutous? We know Hugh is in it so will they go into "Descent" episodes with Lore? Seven is in it, will they go into the weekly shenanigans that they got into with The Borg in Voyager? They will have to address where they got the cube from, will they say "Reconstructed from Wolf 359" and leave it there or will they say "Oh, we found it laying about"

Will be interesting to see how they do this. Will be a difficult act to address these without losing newer fans. While it's on CBS All Access in the US and their focus will be almost entirely on the US market, they do know that this is on Amazon outside of the US and, as was previously noted, Amazon Prime doesn't have the movies or TV shows so new fans won't be able to just hop in and out to the movies/series.

On a side note: Did it mention how long this was after "Children of Mars"? I got the impression it was a couple of years later but I could be wrong. I know the reporter said it's still on fire but they were talking about the attack like it was history as opposed to something that just happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Liked it a lot. It did feel a little rushed as people said. Unfortunately effect of TV seasons being much shorter these days than they used to be. Most other Star Trek shows opened with a two-parter and this felt a bit like a two-parter squeezed into one part. That was my only criticism though, the rest was excellent. Patrick Stewart is on flying form. The opening scene with Data was a lot better than the trailers made it out to be. Has a bit of a Star Trek meets Blade Runner vibe to it which I'm quite digging.

Advertisement